PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Dilemma - Antares/Devoucoux

armyaaronswife
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'm an adult re-rider in need of a saddle. I'm looking for a used saddle and considering Antares and Devoucoux. I'm currently horseless and taking lessons/leasing. I need a saddle that will fit a variety of horses. I'd prefer a used saddle since I'm not riding but a few times a week and dread the break-in period. How is the break-in with the saddles if you go new/off the rack?

Suggestions/opinions welcome.
Thanks!

changeofheart1
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
I like my Devoucoux. It has fit my horse well despite his changing body shape over the years. It's comfy, I got it brand new on a trade-in, and the break in period wasn't horrible. I think a good 10-12 rides and it was getting better and better. It's all personal preference!

FLeventer
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Try them both is all I say. I hate how some of the antares push me on my crotch. Nice saddles, but tip me a bit too far foreword. Devoucoux fits me better, but I like their Oldera over the Soca. Different models fit people better.

I like CWDs, but it wore out on me so fast and the rep did nothing for me. Contacted the company and they did nothing. I felt ripped.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Devoucoux, Oldara

Miraya
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
Try out an Antares, Devoucoux, and Butet. I love my Butet but the regular tree is very narrow, many people have told me a Butet with a medium wide fits a variety of horses. Antares push me forward, but Devoucoux make me feel like I'm sitting in a chair. I would see if you can try out a few and find what's comfortable for you. I am waiting for my CWD at the moment, the rep was great, they also have a varied selection on used high end saddles.

KateKat
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
Definitely ride in both the Antares and the Devoucoux if you haven't already. Different saddles with different feel for sure.

I have an Antares and the break in was pretty much nothing. It is calfskin though, not grain. When I was looking, the rep had a lot of demo's at deep discounts, and there are always all the used saddle sites. Antares also has a relationship with some vendors like Smartpak, where you can buy brand new for around $3K I believe, as long as you know the seat side/flap configuration and don't need any special/custom paneling.

FineAlready
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
I would stay the heck away from Antares! Take a look at some of my posts on the topic.

jetsmom
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
I ADORE my Antares! I've had a Beval Natural, County Stabilizer XTR, and now the Antares. The Antares puts me in a perfect position, and stopped my knee pinching. The other 2 killed my crotch and gave me the Inverness Problem.

Tutt
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
I like my Antares Hampton Classic, and it fits a lot of horses. You can try that or the Antares Spooner or Antares jumping saddle at SmartPak. You can ride in the trial saddle for a week. Shipping both ways is free.

My guy is pretty easy to fit for a TB. Only issue would be a slightly high wither. With the Hampton, I use a Fleeceworks Perfect Balance pad to raise it off his wither.

I tried a Devoucoux Chiberta on him but it was too A-frame and banana shaped. And this guy is slightly banana shaped. The back of the saddle lifted off his back, and the front flaps stuck out from his shoulder.

I do like the bigger knee blocks and shape of knee rolls on the Devoucoux. But the Antares Hampton has the most beautiful, softest, stickiest leather!

dmj
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
really like my Devoucoux Biarritz

Punkie
Mar. 20, 2012, 04:16 PM
I own both a Devoucoux (Biarritz) and an Antares...I like my Butet WAY better :lol:

wanderlust
Mar. 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
Try them both is all I say. I hate how some of the antares push me on my crotch. Nice saddles, but tip me a bit too far foreword. That's a function of the particular saddle being made for a horse that is a little uphill. When the back of the saddle is padded up but used on a horse who is more level or downhill, you end up tipped forward onto your pubic bone.

I like CWDs, but it wore out on me so fast and the rep did nothing for me. Contacted the company and they did nothing. I felt ripped. Will never do business with them again... they don't so much care once you have the saddle, and treat you like an idiot when you tell them you have a problem.

armyaaronswife
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
I like my Antares Hampton Classic, and it fits a lot of horses. You can try that or the Antares Spooner or Antares jumping saddle at SmartPak. You can ride in the trial saddle for a week. Shipping both ways is free.

My guy is pretty easy to fit for a TB. Only issue would be a slightly high wither. With the Hampton, I use a Fleeceworks Perfect Balance pad to raise it off his wither.

I tried a Devoucoux Chiberta on him but it was too A-frame and banana shaped. And this guy is slightly banana shaped. The back of the saddle lifted off his back, and the front flaps stuck out from his shoulder.

I do like the bigger knee blocks and shape of knee rolls on the Devoucoux. But the Antares Hampton has the most beautiful, softest, stickiest leather!

Did you buy it new? How long did it take to break in? I just checked the site and the hampton is on backorder for trial until May 22! Also the billets look stiff. Are they?

PinkBoots
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
My devoucoux was fitted for me and my anglo arab when I was a teen.. It now fits my Oldenburg, and my best friend's twig of a TB with a mountaintop of withers. So overall I would say it fits a good variety :) It came out of the box so soft there was virtually no break in. I also don't take the best care of it, and it still is in amazing condition after 5 years of heavy usage.

I'm 5'8" with a booty and long legs- my seat is a 17" and the flap is a 2A. The used Devoucoux website has a lot of saddles for good prices. Good luck with your search! :)

changeofheart1
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
Forgot to add- if you don't like a really deep seat, try the Devoucoux Oldara. That's what I have. It's got a narrow twist, and the seat isn't flat by any means. I had it built to fit me as my horse was changing shape throughout the years-he has grown into a average to high withered TB. It fits him well, even according to the Antares rep!

The Biarritz is nice too but with a deeper seat.

As far as companies go, everyone at some point has had a bad experience with one or the other, so go with the saddle that works for you!:yes::yes:

dani0303
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'd go with Antares personally, but it really all depends on what feels best for YOU. While my Antares was bought used to fit my guy, it generally fits most horses I put it on pretty well. It's a medium-wide tree.

DocRider
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
I love my Antares; I have the Spooner model from SmartPak. The calfskin is so soft and supple the break in period was literally a couple of days! I rode it in a show a week after buying it brand new. Of course, there was a lot of oiling so it didn't look so orange...

:lol:

BAC
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
I love my Antares; I have the Spooner model from SmartPak. The calfskin is so soft and supple the break in period was literally a couple of days! I rode it in a show a week after buying it brand new. Of course, there was a lot of oiling so it didn't look so orange...
:lol:

Actually the Spooner model is only available in grain leather, not calfskin. The seat and knee pads are calf though.

Tutt
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
Did you buy it new? How long did it take to break in? I just checked the site and the hampton is on backorder for trial until May 22! Also the billets look stiff. Are they?

I bought it from the Antares rep from Pennsylvania a year ago. It had been a demo saddle but looked new. So no break-in time at all. I bought a Hampton girth to match it from SmartPak, and its leather is just as soft as the saddle. I used Antares oil and conditioner on the girth, and always use the conditioner on the saddle.
The billets are solid, but I wouldn't call them stiff.

The backorder is deceptive. I was going to try to jumping saddle. When I ordered the trial saddle in February, wait time was two months. But within a week, there was no wait time at all. I didn't get the trial saddle then because it was too cold to ride. Think SmartPak gets more saddles, and then there's no wait time for trial saddles.

lizathenag
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have a Devoucoux Makila which I like a lot.

however, I would never buy another Devoucoux as their customer service sucks.

seriously.

It took over a YEAR (and sending it back twice) to have it repaneled for my TB.

and they were pretty much jerks the whole time (not my service rep who has since quit working for them.

I just read that you don't have a horse. I would wait until you have a horse as fitting you is only half the battle.
and since they are foam paneled (which is very nice), not just anyone can reflock them.

DocRider
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:06 AM
Actually the Spooner model is only available in grain leather, not calfskin. The seat and knee pads are calf though.

"This beautifully-made French saddle comes in a light brown grain leather with a very comfortable medium-deep seat calfskin leather."--(from the SmartPak website.)

Oops; I was writing on my iPhone. Original statement: "The calfskin is so soft and supple the break in period was literally a couple of days!" What I meant to write was: "The calfskin is so soft and supple. The break in period was literally a couple of days!"

Eats, shoots, and leaves. Sorry, grammar police!
:D

Oh, and before you English majors come after me too, "The break in period was figuratively a couple of days!"
:winkgrin: