PDA

View Full Version : Cost To Refloor a Horse Trailer

Jackie & Starlette
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
What is the going rate for a 2 horse, new floorboards, done by a trailer company? I tried to find online, can't easily...Thanks!

goodhors
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Not sure of the price of the job, but you probably will want to add in the cost of self-drilling screws to hold the floor down to the cross pieces in the trailer. I never heard of the screws being reusable.

Husband said these kind of screws were the only type you want to use and they were PRICY.

He replaced all our crosspieces under the floor, so trailer company doing a new floor for you may need to do that too. This along with new angle iron running along the walls, because angle holds the edges of the floorboards.

I take pretty good care of the wood floor, lift the mats after each trip, clean out any manure. Just that time, salty winter roads, hauling horses long distances, will make support metal rusty if steel. The trailer sides hold moisture where floor and walls meet, even with good cleaning. Aluminum may be cracked or broken, salt pitted from winter roads, need replacing too.

costco_muffins
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
We got a quote for our two horse, slant, no frills trailer from our local trailer guy. This guy is well known in the area and does a great job. He said $700-$1000 depending on ease of removal of the old boards.

Hubby said, "Heck, NO!" and did it himself. He spent $120 on materials including screws (we used fir boards that were not pressure treated due to corrosion issues). Overall DH spent around 10-12 hours getting the mats and boards out, cutting new boards, screwing the self-tapping screws in, replacing mats, etc. The biggest time suck was getting rotted boards and stripped screws out along the sides.

Given the choice, he would have someone else do it, or at least convince a friend to help. However, money doesn't always work out the way we want it to...

shakeytails
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
...(we used fir boards that were not pressure treated due to corrosion issues)....

Unless it was absolutely the only thing I could get, I wouldn't have used fir. Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) would have been my choice. It may be a "pine", but it's tough like a hardwood. It's what's used for floor joists in houses.

costco_muffins
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
We don't have that readily available around here... Hemlock was our best choice as the PNW pine is pretty soft :)