PDA

View Full Version : Morning After Pill

altjaeger
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Ladies, bring me up to speed on these. Are they legal and available now? If you have these things then why bother with birth-control pills? And why is abortion still such a hot political issue?

Tha Ridge
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Ladies, bring me up to speed on these. Are they legal and available now? If you have these things then why bother with birth-control pills? And why is abortion still such a hot political issue?

Yes, and yes. But they're not going to keep me from taking my regular pill. Why would they? They're relatively expensive, so if you're in a relationship it doesn't make sense to run out and buy a morning after pill after every time you sleep together. What an odd question.

Can't answer the last one, although I wish I could.

Tuesday's Child
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
As Tha Ridge mentioned, they are pretty expensive. I've also heard they make you feel quite sick, and I'm sure would wreak havoc on your hormones as well. Not a great way to prevent pregnancy if you are having anything like regular intercourse.

LovelyBay
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
They can make you pretty sick too IIRC. They are basically a double dose of a normal pill, and there are other side effects. They are also expensive. Some pharmacies don't sell them, and Pharmacists can actually choose not to give them out if it goes against their personal beliefs (At least in my state)

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:28 PM
Plan B is available over the counter if you're over the age of 18. It's a very high dose of hormones, so definitely not something you'd want to take regularly. It will eff your shit up, if you know what I mean. It's also fairly expensive (or so I hear).

Why isn't it a replacement for abortions? Well, for one, because people responsible enough to think of Plan B are responsible enough to use birth control in the first place, probably at least. Two, Plan B will not end a pregnancy - it is only effective in preventing fertilization in the first place.

Plan B and abortion are really solutions to different problems. They aren't interchangeable or really all that comparable.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Why isn't it a replacement for abortions? Well, for one, because people responsible enough to think of Plan B are responsible enough to use birth control in the first place, probably at least. Two, Plan B will not end a pregnancy - it is only effective in preventing fertilization in the first place.

Plan B and abortion are really solutions to different problems. They aren't interchangeable or really all that comparable.

...Although there is RU-486, the abortion pill. (And you do realize that some crazies think that Plan B and contraceptives in general are abortion. Sigh.)

Beam Me Up
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
They are legal, but availability varies (not all pharmacies have them, some people, especially men, have been refused sale of them). As others said they are expensive and can make you sick (they are the equivalent of taking 3 BC pills at once).

Most importantly, they are much less effective than properly taken BC pills, especially toward the end of the 72 hour window.

SaturdayNightLive
...Although there is RU-486, the abortion pill. (And you do realize that some crazies think that Plan B and contraceptives in general are abortion. Sigh.)

Yes, but we refer to them as crazies for a reason. ;) And the abortion pill is considered a medical abortion, unless I've missed something. Definitely not available over the counter.

But that is an important distinction to make - Plan B and the "abortion pill" are two very different things.

Alagirl
But why are they a hot topic?

Oh, don't get me started...

For the same reason a young woman asking congress to make BC a part of mandatory healthcare coverage being dubbed a 'slut' in the media.

Freedom from pregnancy is a hot topic with the conservative crowd.

You know, getting the pill paid by the insurance is making you a slut... while the little blue pill being paid for is for when things don't work right...

Aight, I am stopping now....
It's a hold over from a discussion I am having on another forum...populated by mostly men...

altjaeger
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, and yes. But they're not going to keep me from taking my regular pill. Why would they? They're relatively expensive, so if you're in a relationship it doesn't make sense to run out and buy a morning after pill after every time you sleep together. What an odd question.

Can't answer the last one, although I wish I could.

I was thinking of women who aren't in a relationship. I guess, tho (duh), they don't take BC pills anyway.

What I was thinking, also, is that these pills seem better than condoms for the occasional sexual tryster.

GoForAGallop
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:42 PM

The morning after pill is not in any way, shape or form the same as RU-486. Apart from it not causing abortions, the morning after pill is readily available over the counter. There is not a single state that has RU-486 available at pharmacies; it is doctor's prescription only, and you are usually kept under observation for a while after you take it, just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

As for why you wouldn't use Plan B as a birth control method, that's pretty much been explained. It's about $50 a pop. That adds up quick.

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
I was thinking of women who aren't in a relationship. I guess, tho (duh), they don't take BC pills anyway.

That's a strange assumption. Why wouldn't they be on BC?

What I was thinking, also, is that these pills seem better than condoms for the occasional sexual tryster.

Only if you like STDs. ;)

GoForAGallop
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:49 PM

Most women my age (20's) take birth control whether they're in a relationship or not. Regulates things.

As for the second...why??! Condoms protect not only from pregnancy but from STDs. They're also about $0.50each or less. Plan B pills are right up around $50, mess your hormones up, offer NO STD protection, and aren't 100% at the best of times, nevermind if you're a little late taking them.

Laurierace
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:12 PM

A condom may save your life. Plan B won't.

Wholehearted
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
It's been available for a while now, though I hear some places are making it hard to get, which is unfortunate.

I used it once when I was back in college and had spotty medical coverage and thus, access to birth control pills, and a condom broke. It was quite expensive for poor college students for sure. It didn't make me sick, though.

FLeventer
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Condoms are the only method that protects from hiv. They are also the only method that protects against stds. Why not use them? This is also from someone that is highly allergic to latex and condoms for me are a bit more. After 3 months with my boy we both got std tested and decided to stop using condoms. If I started dating again you can bet that condoms will be used on every suitor.

altjaeger
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:29 PM
Lol, well clearly I hadn't thought this out before I asked. :)

keepthelegend
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
You can also take a certain amount of your birth control pills. Maybe 5 or 10 pills in one day?

Huntertwo
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:40 PM

If you're having random occasional sex, I assume you're not in a committed relationship. Why in the world would anyone have sex without a condom if you know nothing of the partner's sexual history????

Scary......:no:

Rel6
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
College student over here!

People I know who have taken the morning after pill have said its expensive, but did not have any other sides affects from it. Some took it because of unprotected (drunken) sex and others because their birth control failed for whatever reason (condom broke/missed pill/etc.)

As for why people end up with abortions if they could use plan B? I know people who had unprotected sex, worried they were pregnant, knew if they were they would get an abortion...but risked it by not taking plan B because it was expensive and they couldn't be sure they had gotten pregnant anyway.

Its basically spending say $50 on plan B vs. *maybe* having to spend X amount on an abortion. And unfortunately, a lot of girls gamble and take the second option.

ETA: As to why girls have random sex if they don't know their partners history? Many reasons. Alcohol. They know the person, which gives them a false sense of security. They *think* they know that person's sexual history. They're dumb. The list goes on...

dixiedolphin
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yes, legal and available and effective.

But good lord, why would someone use that as a replacement for other regular forms of birth control? I had to use emergency contraceptive once after a regular contraceptive failure a decade or so ago, before I could afford HBC. I was fortunate that the local health department provided it and with my severely poverty-stricken income (of about $200/wk.. it was a bad year), it was free. They figured I was probably safe, due to where I was in my cycle, but as a precaution they gave it to me anyway.

It made me so unimaginably sick. I spent the entire night praying to the porcelain gods.

As a plus side, the health department directed me to the local Planned Parenthood for free HBC. I had no idea it was available before then.

GoForAGallop
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
You can also take a certain amount of your birth control pills. Maybe 5 or 10 pills in one day?

That is true for SOME birth control pills, be careful of the misinformation that you spread. I BELIEVE (no doctor here) that the morning after pill is very high in estrogen....so if you're on a low-estrogen birth control pill, then your advice is not applicable.

It IS possible, but you would need to call your doctor, who would need to look up your particular pill and do the math out; if they even bothered, as opposed to just telling you "Go get Plan B."

dani0303
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've used Plan B twice in my life, both times when condoms broke. It was expensive ($50) but I experienced no other side effects and did not end up pregnant.

One month into my monogamous relationship with my SO, we both got tested and went condom free. However, I am on the pill so I'm not *overly* worried about getting pregnant and I KNOW I'm safe from STD's. I would NEVER consider using Plan B as a regular method of contraception.

RedMare01
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
I used it once a couple of years ago. Married, but don't want kids yet, and we had another form of BC fail.

I think Plan B was $35 with my insurance? Two pills. Didn't make me sick. Would not think of using it as a regular form of BC, even in a relationship.

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:45 PM
I used it once, a few years ago in a broken-condom situation. I don't remember how much it cost, I went to either Planned Parenthood or the campus health center. It was horrible and I was 'unimaginably sick' as dixiedolphin put it, horrible cramps, horrible feeling all over.

OP, it's pretty presumptuous of you to think that single, non-committed women would a) not be on birth control (there are OTHER, non-sexual reasons to be o BC) and b) choose an expensive, possibly nausea-inducing, painful method of pregnancy prevention rather than a freaking $1 condom.

LovelyBay
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
My university used to give it out when you filled your normal BC prescription. I used it when a condom broke and I'd been on the pill less than a month. It's very high in estrogen (SO is a Pharmacist) and it make me really sick to my stomach but I didn't get pregnant. SO says it's only about 75% effective when used within the first 72 hours. It's $45 if you are over 17 in my area.

dghunter
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
But why are they a hot topic?

Oh, don't get me started...

For the same reason a young woman asking congress to make BC a part of mandatory healthcare coverage being dubbed a 'slut' in the media.

Freedom from pregnancy is a hot topic with the conservative crowd.

You know, getting the pill paid by the insurance is making you a slut... while the little blue pill being paid for is for when things don't work right...

Aight, I am stopping now....
It's a hold over from a discussion I am having on another forum...populated by mostly men...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say they're not paying for other women's rights to sleep with anyone they want. Because you know that's the only reason you take BC... :mad: