PDA

View Full Version : Trailering One Horse in a Stock Trailer - Which Compartment?

ytr45
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
We recently got a 16' GN stock trailer with a centergate. We will be using it with the centergate to make two stalls. Most of the time I will be hauling one horse.

One trailering oldtimer told me that if you have only one horse, always put that horse in the forward stall (closest to the truck). I don't know if that was for safety or stability for the horse.

I heard from another source that if you have only one horse in a two compartment stock trailer, then put him in the back stall to keep the tongue weight down. (maybe they were talking about a bp stock trailer?).

Someone else told me that since we were pulling the stock trailer with a 3/4 ton truck, that it didn't really matter.

So, my question is, where is the safest place to put one horse - in the forward stall or the rear stall?

Thanks.

Fancy That
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
I've always heard the heaviest weight should be in the front, towards the truck.

It is also a most stable ride for the horse (the horse furthest back, in a long trailer will have the bounciest ride)

So I always put the heavier horse in front. Given that, I'd put your horse in the front, too.

(but I'm not expert. I'll be interested to hear what others say)

chism
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have a four horse stock with center divider. When I'm hauling one, the horse goes in the front compartment. When I'm hauling two in two box stalls, the heaviest horse goes in the front, three horses...two in front, one in back..etc. The information I was given was that I wanted the larger share of the weight on the tongue rather than the axles. Not sure if that's a completely accurate explanation..but that's what I go with.

carp
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
Well, the hitch mechanism is designed to work with the tongue pushing down on the ball, not pulling up. I'd go with putting the horse in front.

katyb
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
I think that the horse in the front is generally the safest way to go.

I hauled one rescue horse in the back compartment of my stock/combo this weekend though. I have mangers in the front, and the horse was anxious, so we decided that untied in the back compartment was safest in this particular instance. It went fine. I have an F350 crew cab long bed dually and a bumper pull trailer.

KBC
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Another vote for one in the front, and if hauling two, the heaviest in the front.

I was at a 3 day show/clinic last year, where I turned the front half of the trailer into my dressing room/tack room for the duration, so the boy went on the back. I can't say that it felt a lot different to tow, and he loaded happily into the back compartment.

StoneleaFarm
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
I agree with what everyone has said so far - sounds like what I have always been told and gone by. The only time I put a solo horse in the back compartment was when I had a lot of equipment to bring - hay, wheelbarrow, etc. If it was just one or two bales of hay, though, I put the horse in first, shut the gate, then put the hay. I don't want my horse stuck behind a bunch of stuff if there is an accident!

SlabSided
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
This is a very timely question for me. I'm getting ready to move my senior gelding - 27 yo - about 2 hours from where he currently is. The hauler I'm using has a GN stock trailer and I'm wondering if it will be more difficult for the old guy to balance in an open area - assuming front half of trailer - as opposed to a regular horse trailer where he would have the sides and butt bar to lean against in curves and whatnot. He's in relatively good shape but doesn't move as easily as he once did. I've always trailered in a regular straight or slant load 2 horse.

Thoughts?

KBC
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Good question, SS, I think a lot depends on the horse, I find that most of mine travel really well in an open stock, G Man always turns around and travels with his butt up against the front of the trailer, he seems to prefer being able to brace against braking, I'm always very gentle on the turns so hopefully it doesn't worry him.

My mare usually is standing head on and along one side of the stall, I believe that she has been trailered in a side by side all her life before she came here and prefers to travel like that.

It could be that the old guy would prefer the support that he is used to

Fancy That
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
I think your old guy will be able to balance himself comfortably in the front stall of the stock type trailer. He can lean against the front with his butt, if he rides backwards, and he can also lean against the side walls with his sides/hips.

Horses prefer to "stay on their feet" and not HAVE to use external support, so I think they always TRY to just balance themselves, but of course, if they are shoved into a slant stall or straight load or what have you - they will be "using" the sides, or back.

i actuall think the part they most use is against their butt.....so maybe your guy will just position himself against one of the walls and use that for support if he needs it?

candysgirl
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
My Arab has a definite preference to ride loose in the stock trailer. He stands roughly in the middle, but slightly closer to the truck than the rear and faces backward. If we put his Arab buddy in there with him, both loose, they stand nose to tail on a slant. They seem to trade places periodically.

Fancy That
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
My Arab has a definite preference to ride loose in the stock trailer. He stands roughly in the middle, but slightly closer to the truck than the rear and faces backward. If we put his Arab buddy in there with him, both loose, they stand nose to tail on a slant. They seem to trade places periodically.

thanks for that feedback! I always wonder about how horses "prefer to ride" Interesting that he stands backwards alone, but at a slant and nose-to-tail with a buddy. So cute!

chism
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:38 AM

Mine always travel the same way.