PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Bridesmaids, etc?

juby2be
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
Well, it wouldn't be Off Topic Day without a wedding thread, would it? ;):lol:

So, fiance and I are in the beginning stages of planning our wedding. Having never done this before (and hopefully never again!) there are one or two things that we have absolutely NO idea about!

For instance, what about gifts for the wedding party? Does everyone get the same thing or do they all get something different? Is there a certain amount/percentage of the budget you're supposed to spend on these gifts?

We have a general theme, a pretty set guest list, favor ideas, and we finally have a location picked out. But we have NO idea what do for bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts!

This wedding is being done on a budget, so we don't want to spend a ton. But we DO want something that they will like, and will hopefully use/like/appreciate for years to come. We don't want anything tacky, and our friends AREN'T wine drinkers, so a nice bottle of wine and openers are out of the question.

Any ideas for gifts? PLEASE HELP!!

Windsor1
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
One of these, maybe?

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/bridal-party/articles/50-inspiring-bridesmaid-gift-ideas.aspx

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
I got my bridesmaids jewelry that they could wear on the wedding day. Under $100 each and it was just nice, costume jewelry (CZ's). They really appreciated it, and unlike their dresses, they really could wear it again ;)

For the groomsmen, my husband bought really nice bottles of scotch. Yours could also do something like money clips, or since these people are supposed to be his good friends, something that has more personal meaning to all of them (it doesn't have to be the same gift for all). Maybe tickets to a baseball game together or something?

Oh, and congrats btw! Weddings are fun but it will go by in a blur. Months and months of planning over in a couple hours. Not to mention all the mishaps I didn't hear about until after the event!

Wholehearted
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:52 PM
Pretty sure there's no real guideline as far as $ for gifts. I've heard of jewelry that the BMs can wear with their dresses, monogrammed keychains, flasks for them and the groomsmen.

For my two, I got them little photo albums, some nice lip balm from Sephora and made them cake balls in wedding colors before cake balls were so popular. My MIL, who is awesome, insisted on buying them both an inexpensive set of pearls to wear as well.

juby2be
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys! Great ideas so far! If anyone has anymore, please keep them coming!

Monica67
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Check out Quillin Leather. We had personalized checkbook covers made for all the groomsmen.

Dramapony_misty
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
I got mt ladies jewelry to wear for the wedding (under $20 each for a necklace and earring set from Charming Charlie) and nice plush white bathrobes with their initials embroidered in my main wedding color (purple). I looked around for sales and got them at Kohl's for around $30 each thanks to sales, coupons, and Kohl's cash. They loved them! My MoH actually fell asleep in hers in our hotel room the night before the wedding!

My husband got the guys neat multi-tools (like a Leatherman) since they are all kind of outdoors-types. He had planned on getting them engraved with the date, but ran out of time. They guys really loved those too.

Marshfield
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
We did jewelry for the women (including the Moms) and pocket knives for the guys.

JBCool
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
I got my MOH/bridesmaid (only had one) a necklace with her initial to wear with her dress and also made her a "spa" goodie bag for having to deal with a bride and mother of the bride (lol): aloe socks, bubble bath, lotion, etc. Hubby bought his guys (twins) their suit coats b/c they didn't have any AND we figured that was the only way we'd get them in one! Good luck and congrats!

kateh
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
The two weddings I've been in I got jewelry. For one sister, she gave everyone the same pair of really pretty earrings. The other sister got us all a different style of monogrammed silver bracelet.

Frivian
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
I'm getting my bridesmaids each something different. I am getting them things I know they will each enjoy, and they all have very different personalities and interests. My gifts will not be related to wedding day at all since they are picking their own jewelry and such for the wedding.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
One of the few gifts I still have from being a bridesmaid is a glass potpourri dish with a pewter top in a rose pattern. It's a classic piece, not overly large, and it's lovely on my vanity.

costco_muffins
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
Our bridesmaids and groomsman gifts were special and meaningful to us as well as being useful to our friends.

We gave the bridesmaids the horseshoe Tiffany necklace in sterling silver (which they wore at the wedding (my way of getting horses in the ceremony). I have seen every one of my bridesmaids wearing these multiple times after the wedding and none of them ride horses!

My husband gave his groomsmen leatherman multi-tools. I know, I know, but seriously, these were extremely well received! We also gave the leathermans to the two ladies who did all our flower arranging (we had a farm wedding, so it was all friends and family helping). They LOVED them!

JanDinWA
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
We gave pewter beer mugs with their names engraved on them. When I was in wedding parties, I got a pewter shot glass with initials engraved on it, a leather key chain with a metal first initial, and jewelry to wear at the wedding.

Highflyer
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
My SIL did wraps/ pashminas which we were wore to the reception and were very grateful for-- it was only 60 degrees and the dresses were sleeveless. I think my brother gave his groomsmen small pocketknives with their initials? engraved. They were all sort of outdoorsy guys.

Another friend did small picture frames and sent us each a photo afterward which was nice.

caradino
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Congrats!

For our wedding we gave each member of the wedding party something unique. I ended up getting each of my girls a piece of jewelry, but all VERY different pieces that suited each girl's personality. Hubby got his guys gifts tailored to their interests, a neat framed Johnny Cash poster for his friend who's really into his music, an REI gift card for his camping gear buff buddy, etc.

We really didn't want to give everyone the same gifts, and we wanted something meaningful and useful!

bits619
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Both weddings I've been in, the maids were given purses. The first wedding was at the beach and they were insulated mini coolers! So cute, and they were monogrammed.
That bride also gave us cute shell necklaces (large flat shell, statement piece type).
Second wedding the bride gave us little purses made/sold off etsy in different fabrics. Those are adorable! She said they weren't anything like she expected them to be, but i really liked mine.

Monogramming is always a nice touch for wedding party gifts.

SarahandSam
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
I had a local jeweler make necklaces for each of the bridesmaids. I picked out the stones in my wedding colours, and then she made different necklaces for each of them, but they were unified with the same stones. So they were personalized and different, but still coordinated and cute. They were simple, and since I got three of them plus my own jewelry, she gave me a really good discount.

You can kind of see one on one of my bridesmaids in this picture: http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/359_37498046982_698441982_1411934_6345_n.jpg

Tuesday's Child
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
For the weddings I've been in, I've gotten jewelry, a pashmina, and my shoes as gifts, all of which I've been able to use again. I do like some of the other ideas listed above though!

TheBandit
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
When I got married, hubby and I gave all of our attendants flasks.

In the last wedding I was in, the bride went a bit overboard on the silver engraved gifts. Everyone was given something with their name/initials on it, the date of the wedding and the position they held in the wedding party. the groomsmen received monogrammed silver cuff links, in silver boxes engraved on the outside with all of the above info. I received a very ornate silver jewelry box. It's kind of pretty, but not at all my taste. It's still in the box on a shelf.

I was with the bride the day she picked up all of the attendants gifts. I just about passed out when the sales person totaled up the bill!

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
I'm getting (or rather, have already gotten) necklaces from Tiffany's for my bridesmaids. They're sterling silver pendants with their initials. A little pricey, but not ridiculous. Certainly no more than they will likely be spending on their dresses.

Of course, my wedding is literally a year and a half away and this is the only detail that is planned so far. ;)

BlueEyedSorrel
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
One of my sisters got her bridesmaids personalized tote bags with our names embroidered on the side from this company: http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalog#/1

I love mine. It can hold books, horse stuff, yoga stuff, anything really. Another bridesmaid is an art teacher, and she uses hers for art supplies. And they were maybe 25 dollars each.

BES

faybe
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
I've gotten monogrammed tote bags and necklaces in the weddings I've been in. I did sterling silver cake pulls (a very southern tradition: similar to these (http://www.mignonfaget.com/shop/product/bridal/8772Y.html)). They're meant to be baked into the cake with strings attached, and then all the single women "pull" a string and end up with a charm, but I just bought silver chains and gave each bridesmaid one that they could wear as a necklace. Each one had a different meaning and suited their personalities, almost all of them wore their necklace to the wedding and they all wear them still. Hubby did engraved pocketknives for his groomsmen, which they all seemed to like.

sparky6
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
I got my bridesmaids these shoes:

http://www.ssekodesigns.com/

You can pick the straps and go personalized or go for one color/pattern if you'd rather match your wedding. What I love about them is that they're so personal-you can tie them in tons of different ways so it's like bunches of shoes in one. I also love that it's a company created to provide African women with higher education. They work for them and make shoes while they're in school, then get a full scholarship to continue their education from the company when they graduate (or something along those lines).

I have a pair for myself-they're SUPER comfortable!

RunningRedLights
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
I have received lovely necklaces to wear in the several weddings I have been in. Each necklace complimented the bridesmaid dress, but was also a piece that I have worn later on.

Check out Etsy.com for lot of fun wedding ideas, gifts and favors!
http://www.etsy.com/category/weddings?ref=fp_ln_weddings

juby2be
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
You all have given me FANTASTIC ideas! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

and RRL- I LOVE Etsy!!

Indy
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
I got jewelry cases for each of my bridesmaids from 1154Lill (they have such fun options for bags and things and you can pick all sorts of cool fabric combos). I designed them all differently to match each of my girls' personalities/likes because there's no way each of them would want the same thing (5 very different women). Inside each case, I put a small teardrop pearl necklace and a simple pair of pearl earlings, which they all wore during my wedding. The only exception to that was for my MOH, who doesn't have pierced ears. For her, I found a pretty silver bracelet on Etsy.

For the groomsmen, we got them all cool German beer steins. They all were slightly different but part of the same series so they were similar. We got the friend who married us the same thing.

For our flower girl, my niece who was 3 1/2 at the time, I went to Build-a-Bear and built her a bear. I dressed it in a wedding gown with a veil and all the wedding trimmings. She loved it, it went everywhere with her that weekend.

onelanerode
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:56 PM
Congrats!!

I gave my bridesmaids jewelry ... just a simple pearl pendant on a silver chain. As a bridesmaid, I've received pearl earrings and a glass vase.

The flask idea is a nice one though! ;) I got my MOH one wrapped in bright beachy-blue leather.

DancingAppy
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:01 AM
for my sisters wedding, she went about gifts differently. We actually never received a true gift. But she did buy us our bridesmaid dresses, paid for us to have a mani/pedi and took us out for a nice lunch. She also made really nice thank you notes. That was her gift, making her wedding financially affordable to us. I'd rather have that than some tricket.

StellaTMK
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:44 AM
Im working on an order now for a bride, custom tote bags in a basic neutral color with a removeable/changeable accent scarf in the wedding colors the bride will be filling them with little bits to get the girls through the day, mints, airline bottles of their favorite cocktail, hand lotion, etc. A fun gift that they can use after the wedding that does not scream 'bridal gift'.

I gave my bridesmaids a charm bracelet with three 'starter' charms, one was their initial, another said "bridesmaid" and the third was something special between the two of us. Ecah girl has since added to the bracelet on their own.