PDA

View Full Version : work out routines

evntr5218
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
what is everyones typical work out routine a week? how many times, what do you do etc.?

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
I CrossFit three times a week. Time spent working out varies, but its probably an average of about 45 minutes including warmup. The main workout itself runs between 10-25 minutes. I would say that even with this pretty small amount of actual work, I'm in the best shape I've been in my whole adult life.

CrossFit is a combo of high intensity intervals, using body weight to perform movements and lifting heavy weights. Its probably the best program I've ever done and when performed in a gym with competent trainers, is perfectly do-able for all fitness levels (because there are people out there who think it pushes you too far, and is dangerous).

jumpingmaya
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Gym brat here...
Average of 5 times per week. 30 mins elliptical on a pretty high resistance-13/14 (do the cardio or random set).
Then 30 minutes of "machines"... do everything in 3 reps, stick to pretty "light" weights for arms/shoulders. No interest in looking like a man :no:
Usually 3-4 arm workouts, 2-3 legs (don't need more than that) and abs every which way possible (reverse, on exercise ball, machine for obliques, etc.)
I have to DRAG myself there most days but I feel SO much better after that I always make it a point to go... oh and I'm nicer to be around :)
Also going to throw in doing laps 2 times per week.. once season is OVER... :yes:

Milocalwinnings
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
Right now I have mandatory workouts 5 mornings a week and then usually also go to the gym 3-4 afternoons a week.

In the mornings it varies...but generally:
1 Long distance run
1 day of sprints
1 day of upper body
2 days of cardio/upper body/abs

In the afternoons usually:
30 minutes of cardio each time + one of the following:
an ab workout (20 mins) and leg workout
an upper body workout with and without machines

I am thinking of starting crossfit this summer to see how I like it. I know a lot of people who do it and it looks like a fantastic workout.

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
I am thinking of starting crossfit this summer to see how I like it. I know a lot of people who do it and it looks like a fantastic workout.

Why wait? ;) If you like to workout and like a "team" type environment, I think you'll really like it. Its obviously an individual environment but you get a lot of support and encouragement. Very similar to the environment I grew up in playing team sports.

It is a fantastic workout and when you first see them you think "thats not so bad" but then once you're in it, you definitely feel like you're going to die! The easiest looking ones on paper are often the hardest.

It will also amaze you how much it helps your other sports/athletic endeavors. It has made me so much stronger in the saddle (which was the original intent) and in other ways too. Like a few months ago, my husband and I went hiking at around 8000 feet. First hike in AGES. Before CF, I would feel like I was dying, but on this hike, we went for a good three hours no problem! It has also leaned me out considerably (thank you, heavy weight lifting and NO...I am not bulky like a man) even though I'm heavier weightwise than I have been in the past at this pant size.

Coanteen
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
I run 3 times aweek, short runs, 3.5-5 miles. Usually on a treadmill since I'm very picky about weather, but if weather is good I'll run outside, and usually longer then. Every now and then I'll do incline intervals on the treadmill instead of flat runs.

Horse riding about 4 times a week on average :)

Personal trainer 3x/week for weights, with upper body focus. I just started this last month when I realized that our student rate for PT can't be beat and that I won't be able to afford this once I finish my studies this summer.

And about 2x/week a DVD, either yoga or the Jillian Michaels abs one. I should be doing this more often, but studying and laziness get in my way.

glfprncs
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:25 PM
Right now I'm in half marathon mode, so my week looks like this:

Monday--cross train (I'm doing Les Mills Pump--strength training)
Tuesday--3 miles faster pace + 20 minutes hill HIIT drills
Wednesday--rest
Thursday--cross train (Les Mills Pump)
Friday--4 miles--moderate pace
Saturday--cross train (Les Mills Pump)
Sunday--long run @ long slow distance (10+ miles currently)

I also walk the dogs for 2-3 miles every day except Wednesday.

After my next half marathon, I'll still run 2 days/week, and will add other cardio options because it'll be TOO HOT to run in South Carolina in a few months (IMO)

slight
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm getting ready for the "Run for the Bluegrass" half marathon in Lexington KY March 31. I can't wait! The course starts at Keeneland and runs through the blue grass country and past farms. A horse loving runner's dream!

I usually run 20 -25 miles a week and ride 3 - 4 times a week.

Readin', runnin', ridin'. The 3 R's!

ETA: I forgot to be specific: Sunday - rest, Mon. - short run,Tues. rest, Wed. -medium run with some speed work (fartlek or hills), Thurs. -rest, Fri. - short run, Sat. - long run.
Short runs 3 - 5 miles, medium runs 6 - 7 miles, long runs 10 - 12 miles.
I sometimes run 5 days a week...it depends. Never less than 3 miles, usually long runs are 10. They are longer now so I can run in KY.