PDA

View Full Version : The What Are You Planting Thread

MyGiantPony
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm going all out this year and trying straw bale gardening. I'm going to try pretty much every vegetable known and see how each one does in the straw bale environment.

This will free up other space for the cutting garden I've always wanted to do.

rodawn
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
What is straw bale gardening?

I'm expanding my own veggie garden this year - I love the improved taste over store-bought. Already have peppers and tomatoes started under lights.

Wholehearted
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'm going to try to grow artichokes this year. They're well started and I've got them and the basil outside for now to harden them off a little, plus I read if you expose the artichokes to cooler temps for a bit they're more likely to produce their first year.

I'm also trying some varieties of pole beans and parsley. We bought a house back in December and it has a little side garden with a young apple tree and it looks like strawberries on one side? and some other little bushes we aren't sure of yet.

I love gardening and finding heirloom seeds to grow. After reading about Monsanto I really want to avoid their products even more.

HPFarmette
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
I did so great with heirloom pumpkins last year. The French ones that look like the Cinderella coach. Can not wait to do it again, and also going to do lots more flowers. However, it's a good two months till we are really supposed to be able to plant here on the north coast. Hard to wait......

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Seeds of discontent ...

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
:lol: No, not really, I'm just in a silly mood.

SmartAlex
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
RR: :lol:

I am thumbing my nose at planting schedules and listening to the weather man. I have planted peas, carrots and radishes earlier than normal. I have also liberated the sprouty taters from my cellar into the dirt so they can take their chances. It was either that or toss 'em and I'd rather take a gamble on an early spring.

Carrera
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
I just started cleaning up the gardens t my new place. So far I've found tons of perennials in side gardens. Found asparagus and rhubarb in the back. I have a huge plot that needs to be cleaned and tilled. Not sure what to put there yet!!!

MyGiantPony
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
What is straw bale gardening?

I'm expanding my own veggie garden this year - I love the improved taste over store-bought. Already have peppers and tomatoes started under lights.

You season straw bales with amonium nitrate, soak them and when they are ready, just plant in them like you would soil. The advantage for me is that they are basically a raised bed, which is better for my back. And no tilling or soil testing.

JSwan
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hubby took pity on me and is building raised beds.

He did not say in what decade he plans to finish them, though.

Today I transplanted a peach and a cherry tree, planted crepe myrtles, dayliliys, roses, phlox, bluebells, dahlias, sprayed roundup under two trees where I intend to create some woodland gardens.

Next, more dogwoods and redbuds around the riding ring, a river birch near a spring, and transplant a small pine to the front yard.

This fall I'm going to do a massive bulb planting in the back yard. Daffodils, dayliliys, iris, and bluebells.

But first.... My vegetable garden. When the raised beds are finished.

I overdid it today and am using the heating pad on my back.

HalfArabian
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
So far only Morning Glories/ marigolds. I do like the flowers!:D Will do Vegie's when I get the seeds. The MG/M's are from seed saving.

K

Trakehner
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
No more veggies, the past 2 years have the stinkbugs destroying all food crops...all herbs this year.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Haven't been brave enough for the veggies. I have started seeds of snapdragons, zinnias, and marigolds!

pony4me
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Went out on a limb and set out tomatoes and peppers this weekend. Unheard of, crazy early, but the trees have all leafed out and we are already mowing lawns down here. I have some extras in the greenhouse in case I get zapped.

Asparagus is up and I'm already eating it. Peas have flowered and now have pods. Onions, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cabage and potatoes are planted. Some of the broccoli is about a foot tall already. Cucumbers have been planted in pots in the greenhouse, but are not up yet.

My nightly ritual now includes moving the fake snake, dog and owl around so the rabbits stay out of the garden. I can really understand why Elmer Fudd hated Bugs Bunny.