PDA

View Full Version : Facebook's new Timeline

luvmytbs
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
I have switched over a couple of times to see what it looks like and quickly returned.

Now they are stating everyone will be switched over at the end of March.

I think Tineline sucks and looking at the pages of my friends who have already switched make me want to pull my hair out.

There seems no order to anything.

Am I the only one feeling that way?

Mako
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
I feel the same way. I've resisted switching becasue I can't stand the way everything is all over the place. I never know which "side" of the screen I should look at lol

I was hoping that they wouldn't force us to switch but I guess not..sign

mroades
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
HATE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LexInVA
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
I hate it. It's stupid and useless. The previous Facebook page layout was perfectly fine and it didn't load at the speed of a glacier melting.

dangerbunny
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
It looks stupid and is hard to use.

Curb Appeal
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
I guess I don't have a problem with it. Like every FB change I was resistant at first, but I got over it once I played with it a bit.

mroades
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Is there any hope of an uprising big enough to not make it happen??

Louise
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm afraid that there could be no uprising big enough to change their minds. That site is the ultimate monarchy, and they'll do as they please, no matter what.

I hate the new timeline, too, and will hold on to the old format until the bitter end.

mroades
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
I guess it is free and all...but dang...I do hate it

Watermark Farm
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
I hate it and plan to deactivate my page once it's implemented. It's cluttered and illogical.

A friend of mine is in the software business and Facebook is her main client. She refuses to have a Facebook page because of her inside knowledge of how the company collects and uses information from people.

genevieveg17
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
I hate it and plan to deactivate my page once it's implemented. It's cluttered and illogical.

A friend of mine is in the software business and Facebook is her main client. She refuses to have a Facebook page because of her inside knowledge of how the company collects and uses information from people.

That is unnerving! Makes me think twice about what I post and share on facebook.
I hated the timeline at first but it is not that bad. At least the photos show up big so you do not need to click them to view. It is confusing the way things are displayed and I missed quite a few posts at the beginning.

BabyGoose
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
No kidding. I am resisting to the last minute too. I looked at a friends page that was set up that way and I can't make sense of it. Where is the "Wall"? How do you post something on the "Wall"? Arrrrggg.

FalseImpression
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
I hate it and can't figure out where to look when I go on someone else's page. I have not changed mine yet. My DD has not either, but many already have. I find it harder to find info.

mg
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
I think it's funny how every time Facebook changes something, people respond with, "But I like how it is NOW!" Really? Because when they changed to "how it is now," you complained about that too. I remember the general uproar when things like the news feed were introduced. Did you know that back in the Stone Ages of Facebook, you had to check people's individual pages to see if they uploaded pictures?

I do fine the timeline a little difficult to read because of the back and forth. But I find it nice to be able to jump to a certain timeframe quickly instead of using the continuous scroll until you find what you're looking for. People seem to enjoy the cover photos as well.

Anne FS
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:11 PM

Absolutely. Have a lot of techies in my family/friends. They're all on Google+ and all have gotten rid of their FB pages. I find myself doing more on Google+ as time goes on.

Epona142
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
There are browser add-ons that will make it all in a line, not back and forth. Only on your screen of course, but who cares what anyone else sees. LOL.

I use Social Fixer. It has a massive amount of things you can change to customize FB to your preferences. I started using it way back when FB changed...well a couple of changes ago, works great for me.

Tapperjockey
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:13 PM
I hate the timeline. I am not thrilled with how it is now either. I liked it about 3 upgrades ago. But I will admit, it is worth what I pay for it. lol

rodawn
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:22 PM

Which is why everyone should be very careful what they post on something like Facebook. If you're okay with the whole world knowing something, then post it. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

My husband took a picture of me just the other day and I warned him - don't be putting my face on facebook!

I'm very guarded what I post on Facebook. I don't really have a lot of personal pictures. My farm has a facebook page, but the exact location of our face is never posted. Security is one reason, but privacy is another.

Since I'm involved in my work in privacy and confidentiality (as noted on another thread), I tend to be hypersensitive about privacy and confidentiality. Some people are WAY WAY WAY too loose about their personal privacy and confidentiality.

eclipse
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
I hate it, and it drives me bonkers that I'm now seeing comments or posts of friends friends (either my friends comments on one of their friends pages or vice versa)..........arrrrggggg

jenm
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:58 PM

I just learned that they also collect information from the messages people send.

I'm guessing their advertisers LOVE all the information they collect. :yes:

RaeHughes
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
It's free - if you dont like it, dont use FB :winkgrin:

Actually, play with it and you will find it does grow on you :)

Event4Life
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
It's really not that bad, and at least they sorted out the AWFUL photo viewer. You'll get used to it!

Renn/aissance
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
I just don't see the purpose. It's visually cluttered and has had a pretty overwhelmingly negative response. Facebook may be free, but they are profiting off of our use via advertising, etc. (from those of us who don't use ad-blockers) and in use of information and whatever they do with it. They are pretty confident that their users won't leave, and for good reason, but I'm wondering when is the point that people will shove off and go elsewhere. I spend a whole lot less time there now that I have to deal with Timeline to find pics of my kid sister at a horse show two years ago, or whatever.

mg
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
Facebook gets an overwhelmingly negative response about all changes they make. People don't like change and they freak out when it's forced upon them.

I would be shocked if a business as large as Facebook did not usability test new layouts before releasing them and run heavy analysis on loss of users/activity.

HorsingRound
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:57 PM

I have all fake, made up stuff for FB. Free email that I never open or use for anything else, fake name, made up birthday, no location or work info posted, no phone number linked. Can FB still "mine" this information based on my computer's internet address?

Absolutely. Have a lot of techies in my family/friends. They're all on Google+ and all have gotten rid of their FB pages. I find myself doing more on Google+ as time goes on.

Google + is WORSE, IMO. I just uninstalled Google Earth on my Android because the "upgrade" required access to, and control over, all of my personal email accounts and the power to change passwords! Why? It asked to store the program on the phone's SD card in order to circumvent virus software. Nope. No go. The invasive "permissions" associated with Google Earth on my Android inspired me to research other Google apps and programs (using Mozilla Firefox as my search engine;-) ). Apparently the other programs are just as invasive and collect all kinds of personal info from various sources.

spirithorse22
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:36 PM

I really loved the new Timeline feature. I switched over asap b/c I found it so much more attractive than the old version. Then again, I don't post much except photos and really prefer the Timeline version b/c of the way it showcases your photos.

That said, I got off FB a few months ago b/c what your friend in the software business says about the company. I am very happy to be off the site completely and feel like I've taken myself off the radar a little bit more.

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
I got tricked into it because I signed into Goodreads and it somehow NEEEEEEDED me to switch to timeline.

This was me when that happened: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

I don't WANT Timeline! It's cluttered and my ADD brain can't handle it.

RedMare01
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
I don't mind it. But I don't post a lot of stuff either.

PiaffePlease
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
I hate it too. Its like facebook exploded all over the page. Look left then right, then left again. It just seems disorganized.

TheJenners
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:01 PM
1. We have been told Timeline will come "online" on different dates that have come and gone. Yes, I have woken up and slowly crept to my home page to see if it changed in the middle of the night, but it hasn't yet. First it was in Feb, then end of March, now April 11th? We shall see...
2. It's free, and I've gotten used to all the OTHER changes that I hated at first.
3. The data-mining happens no matter WHAT you do online. And it's not all bad. DH had a friend "recommended" to him on Facebook who he didn't know at all, but the name was familiar. It was his half-sister who he had never met, and he was able to reconnect with his birth mother, which has been a wonderful, wonderful!, blessing. I do not use that word lightly, and it only comes out of my mouth once every few years. Fact.

luvmytbs
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:22 PM
One of my pages changed to Timeline last week.

Stuff that pops up on the right hand side are posts from friends that were posted sometime last year. :eek:

FB peeps: I read those posts LAST YEAR; they need not re-appear for no reason at all this year. :mad:

HorsesinHaiti
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:29 PM
I have so many disparate circles of friends and connections, who are friends with such a variety of people in Haiti and elsewhere, that I just don't put anything at all 'sensitive' on Facebook. Even with privacy restrictions.

BestHorses
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
I hate the timeline layout. I won't switch unless I'm forced to. I like the big photo along the top but that's it. The left-right mess underneath that is horrible. I can't believe they had a designer involved with this at all.

Funny thing is my college-age nephews won't use Facebook anymore. Since the site started out being cool for college kids it makes you wonder what the next popular site will be now that Facebook is run by "old" folks. :lol: