PDA

View Full Version : Help, Please? New Question: Chargers?

nasalberry
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:40 AM
NEW QUESTION:

How long does a battery last in a batt-op. charger?
Perimeter of fence footage will be 1,000 ft. I was going to go with a 2 - 3 mile solar charger, but would a battery operated one be better? Easy-going older horse respects any kind fencing. Also: Getting supplies from TSC.

I have about an acre to fence with electric tape using a solar-charger. Although I am getting a pro to do it, I will be buying the supplies.

*About* how many 5.5 ft. step-in stakes am I likely to need? How many feet of tape for two strands? Three strands?

They will be coming out to access & give estimate, but I'm anxious to know in advance a "ballpark figure."

Any other advice/tips are greatly appreciated as well!

TIA
:yes:

Belg
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
depends on how square that acre is.... :)

16 square feet: 4 feet by 4 feet, 16 foot perimeter 4+4+4+4
16 square feet: 16 feet by 1 foot, 34 foot perimeter 16+16+1+1

The acreage is basically irrelevant to a fence. Measure your perimeter, and multiply by 2, or 3.

Belg
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Got the numbers... 43,560 square feet in an acre. 4*(square root of 43560=209') says the minimum length will be approx 840 feet of fence per tier, if the field is perfectly square.

Using stepins, I wouldn't put them farther apart than 10 feet, but that's me... I only use them for "momentary" fences like feeding pens or a single step-in or two for a fenceline that might move... and is anchored by a t-post somewhere.

We mostly do 24 feet between tposts and a fiberglass post between them at 12'. I would say given a perfectly square acre above, a bare minimum of 70 posts of some form... but for stepins I'd definitely go higher.

nasalberry
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
Oh, duh! I actually meant to say T-posts. The area is um ... sort of hatchet shaped. I will try to measure.

JB
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
You can't go by what an acre is calculated to be, because that's calculated on it being square

You can have more linear feet than what would make a square acre, if the acre is rectangular, or oddly shaped.

In the end, yes, actually measure the linear length of the property you are fencing in.

How far apart the posts have to be largely depends on the tape, but to some degree also the posts - less distance between fiberglass, more allowed, to the tape allowance, for wooden, and probably somewhere in between for t-posts (though I'd strongly recommend trying not to use t-posts, especially for a smaller area).

ToTheNines
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:31 PM
If you call Horseguard, they will design the whole system for you and put your order together!

judybigredpony
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
I strongly urge you use Real Fence posts on all corners and gate ways..:) been there done that...

thepeacha
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
another vote for Horseguard, I can't say enough good about them. I set up their fencing 10 years ago, on an acre bulldozed out of the bush on a Caribbean island. It has weathered beautifully, and even survived a hurricane, and was headache-free. Every horse learned quickly, and none was ever injured, plus it was inexpensive. Great peace of mind, and amazing customer service, too.

nashfad
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
You are hiring someone to come and install the "step-in stakes" and run the tape??????????? Where you live? I want this job!!!

nasalberry
Mar. 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
You are hiring someone to come and install the "step-in stakes" and run the tape??????????? Where you live? I want this job!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

I don't want to screw it up - not so much the posts, step-ins & tape, but installing the charger.

Frank B
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Download and print out this manual. (http://parmakusa.com/download/Parmak_Energizer_Booklet_English.pdf)

Pay close attention to pages 4 and 5, especially if you live in areas with poor soil conductivity.

The instructions with your particular charger will tell you how many cloudy days the charger can operate through. Typically it's at least a couple of weeks on all but the smallest, cheapest units. Some chargers have a charge selector switch for your particular area. The instructions should tell you how to set it. Some units also have a procedure for the initial charge-up. Following it will enhance battery life.

nasalberry
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that Frank B!

I went with a solar-charger and am "pre-charging" it the recommended 3 - 5 days in full sun.

I will be getting a a back-up battery for winter, but am not too worried: horse is 17 years old, and as long as there's food, he won't care - I will lead him the boundaries the 1st day & all should be well. I am going to string a strand of barbed-wire in the corner 3rd area that faces the road (500+ feet away).

Yes, he knows barbed wire & respects it. Respects all fencing.

I AM worried because I remember someone saying that someone came along and stole their charger!

Any way to put a lock on these??