PDA

View Full Version : flat screen tv's and stands

Holly Jeanne
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
I'm thinking about my first flat screen tv. (yes, my first - my current tv is 12 years old). Don't need too fancy or expensive. What do you like? I currently have a 2 ft sq oak table with a rotating top as my tv stand. Is it true that I'll need to replace it with something the same lenth as the tv? Any stands you really like?

LexInVA
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
You simply need something that is a little wider and deeper than the base of the TV though your table may be too low to get a proper viewing angle. What you have may work fine for you but there are definitely some great choices out there including stands on which you can mount the TV at a level that suits you as well as having the ability to rotate the screen to the sides as needed with your hands. Walmart sells several such things in their stores to go with their HDTV offerings.

sk_pacer
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:27 AM
I just took the plunge before Christmas because my old Sharp was dying a slow, painful death. Picked up a Toshiba at Walmart for 200.00 and am pretty pleased with it. I just installed the new TV on the old stand which is the bog standard el cheapo type with one shelf. Took longer to take the old tv off the stand than to put the new one together and set it up. Just like any tv stand, you don't want too much overhang for safety reasons, regardless of type of tv so you may have to replace it.

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:35 AM
I find the beauty of the panel TV's is you can hang them on the wall! Or like mentioned, get a stand that has a mount on the back so the TV is not actually sitting on its base.

Do a little bit of research to find what you want. Personally, I wanted a LED LCD due to their brightness in lit rooms, as well the fact that they are thinner and lighter than regular LCD's and plasmas (plasmas btw, run hot. They will heat up your room). I have a 42 inch and it weighs maybe 40 lbs?Depending on the size, you can find LED LCD's for around $500.

JanM
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
My 32" LG flatscreen fits just fine on my $30 Walmart tv stand. I have a taller tv stand, because the mattress is too thick to see over properly. And you can get stands with a connector to bolt the tv to it, but I just have the 2 tv's on the stands where the tv sits on the base that comes with it. And the weight for the flatscreens is about 1 lb. per screen inch or less, so it's much easier to move around and maneuver.

Curb Appeal
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
I've got a 60" Panasonic Viera plasma. It's 5 years old and I have been nothing but happy with it. It's heavy (125# or so), so we put it on a nice metal and stone coffee table.

The newer flat panel TV are a lot lighter. Our 30" only weighs about 25# and can easily sit on a small table. If you have children in the house, be sure to tie the TV to the wall with a safety strap. Falling TVs kill a lot of kids.

katarine
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
LED or LCD is the way to go. We have a new Samsung I am very happy with.