PDA

View Full Version : Help, I can't dress myself!

shakeytails
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've re-done my resume and tweaked a couple of cover letters to look for another job (part-time or PRN). My horse habit is too expensive for just one job.

What should I wear when dropping off applications and/or going to an interview? From what I understand, it's pretty common around here when dropping off an application for a nursing job for them to interview right then. So obviously, I don't want to be wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I don't think scrubs are appropriate- or are they?

I have black dress pants and low heeled black shoes. The tops I have are too cocktail-ish for a job. I have zero fashion sense. Is there a website somewear where I can look at appropriate attire and then go to Target and look for similar? I have no boobs so a lot of stuff just doesn't look right on me- not that I'd want anything low-cut for a job interview anyway...

I sure wish I'd inherited some of Mom's girly-ness. Mom always looked good no matter what she was doing!

Arcadien
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
LOL I can sympathize. I have no clue & no fashion sense. Also a tight budget. Fortunately I have a coworker who always looks perfect. We have to give a presentation this week, consulted with her -

She sent me to New York & Co at the mall. She was right on! Prices not too bad, quality stuff. Range from business casual to formal.

AliCat
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
www.loft.com

I want everything in the store.

fooler
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:54 AM
Go to the mall and try on clothes, Most important is to get in the 3 sided mirror. What looks good from the front often doesn't from the side or back. Plus we all have different bodies so what looks good on you doesn't work on me. Some lines are cut for a really thin person, others are more forgiving. An Old Navy large is the same as a small in other stores ;).

So go to different stores and try different brands. Talk to the sales associates, the experienced ones will help you find lines that are more flattering for you, plus the larger stores normally have a tailor on site should you need. I am broad shouldered, so on jackets, the sleeves are often too long and need to be shortened. And the fees are very small.

Good luck!

shakeytails
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:01 AM
The mall???? I haven't been there in YEARS! The extend of my shopping means running into Goodwill to see if they have any good scrubs, or to Rugged Wearhouse for cheap jeans and sweats! I even hate to grocery shop.

akrogirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
The pants sound good. Target isn't showing much in the way of jackets on-line, but they have a nice cardigan and shell by Cherokee that might work for you. You could even pair a nice white t-shirt that you already own with the cardigan.

Arcadien
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
The mall???? I haven't been there in YEARS! The extend of my shopping means running into Goodwill to see if they have any good scrubs, or to Rugged Wearhouse for cheap jeans and sweats! I even hate to grocery shop.

LOL, same here. I had to get an oufit for this weeks management meeting presentations which is why I gave in to my friend's advice -

I was walking around like a little kid in awe, so many pretty things in so many pretty stores, oooohhh!

Then the novelty wore off and it made me mad that I was covetting things I didn't even know existed an hour before!:lol:

Plus the KIDS - egads talk about culture shock! The way they dressed, the haircuts the piecings! And some of the moved in posse's spanning the whole wide aisle, looking sourly at you as they approached like I should get out of the way - I held my own there, made them sullenly split around me :lol:

Anyway I won't be frequenting the mall, but I was gad to find a source of nice quality business attire at not to high a price in NY & Co.

SmartAlex
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Grab a Talbots or Landsend catalog and study. Eddie Bauer also has nice business casual.

Slacks, even nice chinos, loafers/lower heals, shirts based on mens oxfords, or conservative blouses. Cardigans/Twinsets.

You can't beat classic.

GrayTbred
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
...before you try the mall, you can sign up for advice using the clothes you already have.

www.mystylegenie.com

jrzeqrider
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
bananarepublic.com I get 95% of my work clothes from BR, but most are from the outlet, where everything is ridiculously marked down.

shakeytails
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
...before you try the mall, you can sign up for advice using the clothes you already have.

www.mystylegenie.com (http://www.mystylegenie.com)

DH always said he was going to send me on "What Not To Wear". But I told him no way were they getting at my collection of beloved yet ratty t-shirts and sweats (even if I don't wear them in public)! But I'd love a shopping spree- if I could sneak off and have a custom riding suit made with the allowance money!

equidae
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
I get a lot of my outfit ideas and coordinates from Pinterest.

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
I get a lot of my outfit ideas and coordinates from Pinterest.

This! You can just type in a color and something like "interview outfit" and you'll get lots of picture suggestions. Then, take a look at your current wardrobe and see if you have things that are similar.

Black pants go with pretty much everything, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding an appropriate outfit!