PDA

View Full Version : Minor whine- I have tonsillitis.

kookicat
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
I'm nearly 30, for goodness' sake. I'm too old to be getting tonsillitis. (Oh, I know it doesn't have an age limit. I'm just sick of the :confused: look when I tell people what's wrong. :lol:)

I'd had it twice before, both when I was under six. Can't wait for it to clear this time!

dressagetraks
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
My sympathies. I had tonsillitis and Strep throat a few times each year, not slowing down at all as I aged, up until about 20, when I finally had the insurance to yank those suckers. Awful surgery, not just that it's harder the older you get, but I reacted to the anesthesia, too, was in the hospital multiple days. But afterward, it was SO much of a relief. No Strep, tonsillitis, etc., in a few decades since then. :)

kookicat
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
I actually had to phone my Mum and ask here if I'd had it before. I'm not usually a sickly person so it really sucks. Doc isn't willing to take them out until I've had it six times in a year.

Alagirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
ouch...SIX times....:no:

Stock up on ice cream and the potent stuff to mix the tea in with! ;)

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
I feel your pain. Luckily not right now. I've had it probably.... ten times over the past 12 or so years. LUCKILY it hasn't resurfaced in about 2 years. In less than a year, I had a peritonsillar abscess TWICE and both times I was hospitalized for for a week each time. Had no insurance at the time. I'd gone to the doctor prior to going to the ER both times and taken antibiotics, but to no avail. At one point with one of the abscesses (don't remember if it was the first or second time) they were prepared to give me a tonsillectomy even though my tonsil was still abscessed (they generally wait till it's nonreactive, otherwise there is an increased risk of infection elsewhere) but I ended up turning a corner and showing improvement. I almost wish they HAD just done it, because then I wouldn't be continually worried about the slightest twinge in my throat or jaw.

I hope you feel better soon!!!

ChocoMare
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:17 AM
I feel your pain. Alas, tonsillectomies are now considered Elective Surgery. Unless I had 6 - 10 documented tonsil infections in a 12-month period, insurance wouldn't cover it. Alas, for me I got the 6 minimum in 7 months... yup, puss-filled tonsils every month to six weeks. I was 34 when I finally had them removed. I was fortunate to get one of the Georgia's foremost ENT's to do the surgery. Was in and out in the same day. No hemorraghing or other issues.

No more tonsilitis, no more strep, rarely get sick anymore. Worth it!

janedoe726
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:38 PM
I feel your pain. Alas, tonsillectomies are now considered Elective Surgery. Unless I had 6 - 10 documented tonsil infections in a 12-month period, insurance wouldn't cover it. Alas, for me I got the 6 minimum in 7 months... yup, puss-filled tonsils every month to six weeks. I was 34 when I finally had them removed. I was fortunate to get one of the Georgia's foremost ENT's to do the surgery. Was in and out in the same day. No hemorraghing or other issues.

No more tonsilitis, no more strep, rarely get sick anymore. Worth it!

This was very close to my experience too. I had it 4 times in 3 months, so finally had them removed at age 34. I read all kinds of horror stories before the surgery, but both the surgery and recovery were a breeze for me. When I went in for my 2 week post-op visit and told my surgeon how well I was doing, he told me that was just a sign of how sick I had been for so long. My surgery was 2 years ago this month, and I've only been sick once since then. Major difference in my life. Good luck to you, and I hope you get the help you need!

kookicat
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:42 PM
I feel great. :) It cleared nicely with a course of antibiotics.