PDA

View Full Version : shotgun recommendations?

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Basic shotgun rec's? Good for dead beginners?

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
what is it you want to do with it...

We have a cabinet full of over-and-under shotguns, holding 2 shells...
Then there are the ever so popular pump shotguns...

Do you want to go hunt, skeet shooting...

Elephant hunting...

lovey1121
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
Want to scare off crack- crazed burglars .....actually really. Tons of scary crime in my area-daylight breakins when people are home, car theft and breakins for insurance and registration cards (identity theft), and of course the bloody basturd deer who've eaten my daylilies for 4 yrs. straight.;)

Plus DH and I need a new hobby.

Action42
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
Nothing can compare to a Benelli! Top of the line guns, fun to shoot, lots of models.

Alagirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
DH bought a few nice ones from Academy Sports.

If you have a store near by, go check them out!

But I'd suggest moving...

fanfayre
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
If you're a dead beginner you're doing it wrong! ;)

Trying2Event
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:44 AM
Want to scare off crack- crazed burglars .....actually really. Tons of scary crime in my area-daylight breakins when people are home, car theft and breakins for insurance and registration cards (identity theft), and of course the bloody basturd deer who've eaten my daylilies for 4 yrs. straight.;)

Unless u plan to keep it loaded, and close to you, guns are pretty useless for home defense.

If you do (smart girl). Can't F with the Mossberg. I LOOOOVE mine! ;)

Alagirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:54 AM
If you're a dead beginner you're doing it wrong! ;)

Uhhh, taking pot shots at the kid....;)

Long Spot
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:11 AM
Nothing can compare to a Benelli! Top of the line guns, fun to shoot, lots of models.

I love love love Benelli, but for clay sport and bird hunting. When I first started shooting trap, I had an SO with a very large and varied collection of fire arms. Imagine all of our surprise when the one I did best with at trap was a 20 gauge. That baby was a Benelli and I've never forgotten it. It was a gorgeous piece and I ended up liking it just as much for Duck.

But as Ala said, it really depends on what you want to do with it.

If you are lucky, you'll have a decent gun shop with a range close by and I'd say go in and tell them what you need, and they can set you up with a few different models and makes to try and see which you feel most comfortable with.

And if your state offers a gun safety course, take it if you never have. Even if you've been around fire arms for years.

Trakehner
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:10 AM
Want to scare off crack- crazed burglars .....actually really. Tons of scary crime in my area-daylight breakins when people are home, car theft and breakins for insurance and registration cards.

Armpit of the Nation? Washington DC? Maryland? Deetroit?

Like others have suggested...MOVE away from the local scum.

...until then, you've got two choice, pump or semi-auto. Pump shotguns are simple and have a certain psychological value--the sound of a pump being charged is a universal "Oh Crap!!" causer. But, pumps kick more than semi-autos.

A semi-auto is usually gas operated (part of the gas made by the shell going off is bled off to operate the system to eject the empty round and feed the new round)...very low kick. But, gas operated shotguns are more complex and take a bit more knowledge to run them safely or clear problems. So, they need more time familiarizing yourself with them.

What's your budget? Good pumps are cheaper than good semi-autos. Mossburg 300As and Remington 870s are classic pump shotguns. Lots of good semi-autos out there.

Head to a gun store and see what feels good to you. You probably have friends who have shotguns, try their's out. You may like a 20 gauge (less kick with slightly less performance).

Unprovoked92
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Love my Mossberg.

dixiedolphin
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:43 AM
Ditto on the Mossberg! Couldn't afford a Benelli, but got a nice 20ga Mossberg for a reasonable price and love it. I had similar home defense in mind (after having someone try to get in my windows late one night).

Whatever you get, be sure to practice often at the range. And have fun!

Where'sMyWhite
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Frankly, IMO, long guns are not that suitable for home self defense. That long barrel makes them hard to maneuver.

If you want a new hobby, yeah, shot gun for sporting clays would be ideal.

If you want home self defense, get yourself a handgun of decent caliber (no .22's). If you are going to use a gun for self defense, you want it to stop the threat, period. If you don't intend to or feel you have the capability to actually shoot at someone in self defense, don't get a gun in the first place. Understand the laws and their limitations in your area as well.

Trakehner
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Frankly, IMO, long guns are not that suitable for home self defense. That long barrel makes them hard to maneuver.

A pump shotgun with an 18" barrel isn't "unhandy"...check what the cops bring to a gunfight. You aren't wandering around the house looking for a bad guy. Hopefully, you're in your bedroom, behind a locked door with 911 on the phone listening.

A shotgun with "00" Buckshot will work nicely through most interior doors. I keep a pistol in the bedroom (Glock 10mm), but there's also a Remington 870. (plus, if you are in the yard with a psycho dog (or denizen) wandering around, shotgun is the way to go....just showing you have one will get most lowlifes to retreat...something about that big black hole pointing at them causes a lot of bowels to empty...better to scare than actually have to shoot.

SLR
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
You don't have to be real accurate with the shotgun either:D

Where'sMyWhite
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:08 AM
A pump shotgun with an 18" barrel isn't "unhandy"...check what the cops bring to a gunfight.

Ummm... most (not all) "gunfights" as you call them that LE are involved in are close range and they use their handgun. When LE clears a house, they don't drag out the shotgun, they use their handgun...

Very rarely is the gunfight long range and if LE is issued a rifle, I suspect most will go for their rifle over shotgun (if they have a choice). Most agencies issue shotgun but not all get rifles. I have heard one case where the agency i volunteer for responded with shotguns when the suspect was out in a very large field.

fooler
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:33 AM
My theory is to have a shotgun for self defense. Broad pattern with buckshot so you don't have to be so accurate. My 20 gauge pump holds around 8 shells. If the first shot doesn't turn them away, I have enough shells left to stop anyone in the house.
Pistol wise The Judge which shots 410 shotgun shells and 45 shells. Very impressive.

WildBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
On a side note, make sure you write down the serial number of any guns you have in the house and store the information somewhere safe. Guns are also a target for theft, particularly when you're known not to be home, and even the cheaper/lighter gun safes get stolen. The only way you *might* get your property back is to have the serial number, etc. to prove ownership.

Also, there are some really good points here about self defense. A shotgun, especially, is great if you're locked in a room, on the line with 911, and you're prepared to defend your position. Any other scenerio offers a pretty good risk of someone taking your gun away from you--either by them getting to it first or, in the case of a long gun or if you carry a handgun to far from your body, by hiding and grabbing the barrel. Sh*t happens FAST. There are good courses out there that can help you determine your likely scenerios, get familiar with the laws, and plan how you're going to react and what equipment you really need.

Unprovoked92
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
I have my Mossberg 500a for home defense. The sound alone is enough to make someone think twice. Also, as mentioned above you don't need to be super accurate. Im hoping to get my carry permit soon and then get a Ruger LCR-LG .38 special which is a lightweight revolver with a crimson trace laser. I want point and shoot lol. I still don't think it will replace the Mossberg in the house.

Find a range with a firearms class and gun rentals. Get a feel for what you like and are comfortable with. I thought I wanted a semi auto until I shot one...hated it!

fanfayre
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
Uhhh, taking pot shots at the kid....;)
:lol::lol::lol::D Nah, as a 100% pure Canadian-eh, I've never touched a firearm of any type :winkgrin:
It just struck me as highly ironic, the words "shotgun" and "dead" in the same sentence, and I just couldn't control myself, especially as I had already refrained from commenting on all the hilarious spelling mistakes by the doctor-in-training OP in the "THAT kind of ad/THOSE kind of people" thread. Go on, Admit it, you're just jealous you didn't catch it 1st :winkgrin::D

Alagirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
:lol::lol::lol::D Nah, as a 100% pure Canadian-eh, I've never touched a firearm of any type :winkgrin:
It just struck me as highly ironic, the words "shotgun" and "dead" in the same sentence, and I just couldn't control myself, especially as I had already refrained from commenting on all the hilarious spelling mistakes by the doctor-in-training OP in the "THAT kind of ad/THOSE kind of people" thread. Go on, Admit it, you're just jealous you didn't catch it 1st :winkgrin::D

:D:D:D<<green with envy! :cool:

fanfayre
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
I knew it :) ;)

Where'sMyWhite
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have my Mossberg 500a for home defense. The sound alone is enough to make someone think twice. Also, as mentioned above you don't need to be super accurate. Im hoping to get my carry permit soon and then get a Ruger LCR-LG .38 special which is a lightweight revolver with a crimson trace laser. I want point and shoot lol. I still don't think it will replace the Mossberg in the house.

And the "sound" as you call it might be just enough for the intruder to break out their firearm if they have one...

You want something that will stop the threat if your home or person is invaded. A .38 special is not likely to do that unless you are very accurate with your shot placement. It may be point and shoot but it probably won't be point and stop.

A .9mm would be minimum caliber with something like a .40 much preferred.

You may like your 6 round revolver. Give me something with a much higher capacity (which means semi-auto) since your invader is highly unlikely to have a revolver.

Shotguns... I'll take my handgun. If you are in my home and I feel the need to use my firearm (assuming I have one), I'll have that handgun up, ready and fired long before a shotgun. I'll also have less recoil to deal with than a shotgun in the event I do need to fire more than once...

Tom King
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:05 PM

Remington 870, 18" barrel, double pistol grip. The sound of pumping one in the chamber will send them the other way.

my buddy's blue
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
The Remington 870 is a really nice gun that is easy to handle. I shot one last turkey season and I think the pumping action might scare would be intruders off. I like to hunt with Brownings, they are my favorite. As far as cost goes, guns are what you pay for. Buy brand names, Benelli, Browning, Remington, ones that have been in business for many years.

Trakehner
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:18 PM
"And the "sound" as you call it might be just enough for the intruder to break out their firearm if they have one..."

Most criminals would prefer not to get shot, they know citizens are more apt to shoot them than the cops. Barking dogs don't get them breaking out the hardware, they leave. Druggies are undependable as to behaviour.

"You want something that will stop the threat if your home or person is invaded. A .38 special is not likely to do that unless you are very accurate with your shot placement. It may be point and shoot but it probably won't be point and stop."

No "reasonable" pistol will instantly stop the threat unless the neurological system is interrupted.

"A .9mm would be minimum caliber with something like a .40 much preferred."

Actually a .45 ACP or 10mm are much preferred (except by recoil sensitive individuals e.g. FBI or foreign military)

"You may like your 6 round revolver. Give me something with a much higher capacity (which means semi-auto) since your invader is highly unlikely to have a revolver."

Actually, what's best is what the person can hit with accurately. It's easier to hit with a shoulder mounted weapon vs. a pistol. Pistols are the weapon of last choice if rifles and shotguns aren't available

"Shotguns... I'll take my handgun. If you are in my home and I feel the need to use my firearm (assuming I have one), I'll have that handgun up, ready and fired long before a shotgun. I'll also have less recoil to deal with than a shotgun in the event I do need to fire more than once."

I'm sorry, but oh puleeze. :lol:

The OP asked about shotguns. She's received good advice...pump for reliability and semi-auto for softer shooting. Some nice buckshot and a better quality of bedroom door with a good lock. Most interior doors are nothing and the lockset is minimally sturdy. A good outside quality door with a deadbolt gives time and safety while the "goblins" are in the house.

blue phlox farm
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
I just happened upon this post and have been enjoying it for all it's worth. Ever since my adult son bought a house and moved off my farm I've thought about getting a shotgun too (for the bad guys I envision at night and to dispatch injured critters) As a kid, my father taught me how to shoot with a .22 and I got pretty good at hitting cans and targets, but I really liked shooting his 20 gauge he bought for himself. Yeah, almost for himself.. he already had a 12 and 16 gauge. I always thought it was for me but he couldn't let my mother think it was for me. There were no sons in the family so I was the designated sub for the role and I loved it. Hearing all your posts has inspired me to act on my thoughts and call up the son and tell to come gun shopping with me.

By the way I'm 62 and live with a 105 lb GSD and a yellow lab; both who are worthless non-barking lugs when it comes to protecting anything... I need a good 20 gauge!

Sonesta
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
As a former police officer, I can tell you that a pump shotgun is probably your best best for two reasons.

First, you really don't want to have to shoot someone unless there is no alternative. And the sound of pumping one into the chamber is a blood chilling sound that will send all but the most hardened criminals running.

Second, not much aiming required. Point and pull the trigger. The wide scatter is sure to do the job.

FYI, police officers all carry pump shotguns for a reason. When you pull up to a scene of violence or riot, you have stages. You get out with the gun. That alone often stops the problem. If that is not enough, you pump one into the chamber. That sound usually stops most in their tracks - if not makes them pee their pants. It's only a last resort that you use it - and that is almost never needed after stages one or two.

The same can work for you at home. Keep it by your bed. In case of an intruder or someone trying to bust in, you jack one into the chamber and that says all you need. Anyone that keeps coming after that deserves whatever they get.

MistyBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
To add to Sonesta...and it doesn't travel far through walls to hit stuff you were never aiming for.

Aiming is optional, it's a close-range weapon.

And it's not bad to keep clean..remember that any weapon requires cleaning and upkeep.

ESG
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
I have a Browning B-80 20 gauge with Beretta guts that was customized for me, short stock and all. Great for shooting skeet, trap, sporting clays, and the occasional unwise intruder.

It stays loaded. :D

Joanne
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:27 AM
Anyone know what the shotgun is at 1:48?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHAE0lhHjI

It's from Southland.

HandsomesMom
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
I like my Remington 1187 and 1100's in 20 and 12 gauge respectively. both semi-autos although I agree the pump has a certain effect, I use mine for turkey hunting, though so that noise isn't exactly desirable. If crime is such a problem you should either always, always have your gun on you in which case a pistol would be more appropriate. Or you can buy a HEAVY gun safe.

Guilherme
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:42 AM
A shotgun is an excellent choice for home defense for most folks. It's easy to use, requires little skill, and you don't run afoul of some of the more restrictive handgun laws in many of the "nanny state" jurisdictions.

Inside my own house I want a low velocity round that will impart significant energy to an intended target but will not overly penetrate (and cause risk of harm to third parties). Buck shot (00) will do the job.

As to type, I've got two: an 1187 (left handed model) with a short barrel and a double barrel "mule eared" (left over from CMS days). Both are 12 ga.

For most men a 12 ga. will work well. For most women the question is a bit closer and a 16 or 20 ga. might be a better choice.

If I'm going to use a handgun I've got a couple of M1911s in .45ACP. I chose them for the same reason I chose a shotgun.

A weapon, however, is not enough. You have to have a plan. For a night-time intrusion our plan is to dial 911 and fall back to the darkest corner of the bedroom and await The Authorities. I'm not a trained officer or soldier with urban combat training. It would be foolish of me to "bad guy hunting." If the "bad guy" comes hunting me then he'll have a problem.

If you've got a daytime intrusion problem then you'll have to master an appropriate handgun and carry inside your house. Or have LOTS of shotguns stowed in strategic locations (like Connery did in "Outland").

Or, better still, move to a less threatening neighborhood.

Also, know the local law on self defense.

I've no heartburn with self defense inside one's home. Be wary of going outside (this is where knowing the local law becomes really important). Have a plan; train to execute that plan. And then pray you never have to use it.

G.

didgery
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
Not going to comment on the shotguns for home defense question, but for simple, sturdy functionality I love the Remington 870. I am a 140 lb. woman if that matters.

marianne
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:39 PM
I don't shoot or hunt. I do eat what hubby brings home. He recommends a Ruger Red label. My son has a Remmington. But he says what you hunt will determine the shotgun. The Ruger is good for trap and upland game bird. He says Magnum 12 gauge pump or semi is good for turkey duck and geese.