PDA

View Full Version : My strange addiction

eventerdiva
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:49 PM
As I was folding laundry this evening, I had TLC's "My Strange Addiction" on in the background... I've seen the show before, but this one took the cake! It featured a woman who says she has been addicted to drinking her own urine for four years!

She not only drinks it through her mouth, but she also submerges her open eyes in it by holding a shot glass full over her open eye, and also drinks it through her nose using a neti pot...

So strange... Never heard of something like that before. Did anyone else see this?!

Marshfield
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
I was too grossed out by the ad for the show to even sit through the ad.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:53 PM
Urine is sterile but... OMG that makes me want to toss my cookies.

Coanteen
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
She wasn't really "addicted". The poor woman pretty much said goodbye to sanity and bought 100% into the "urine cancer cure" and fully believes she will die of a recurrence of her melanoma if she stops.

Of course she will die of it anyways. A mole that changes color almost daily - yeah, that's pretty much it for her.

I really wish doctors wouldn't tell people how long they allegedly have to live. We're taught not to prognosticate like that, actually; because she was told she had a year to live without chemo and managed to live 4 years, now she believes that the urine saved her, and has no faith in medicine.

mg
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
I don't even like watching the commercials for that show. Saw one where a girl claimed she was addicted to drinking gasoline and they showed a clip of her drinking it out of the can and watching TV with a full glass of it. I wasn't even aware people could do things like that without becoming seriously ill.

eventerdiva
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
:lol:Oh dear... It's still on. Now it's a woman addicted to eating tape and one who is addicted to her boobs.

Why can't I turn this off? Hopefully My Strange Addiction does not become MY strange addiction.....:lol:

PiaffePlease
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
darn it, I missed it tonight. wait, it has start over.

Yes, this is so weird. One of the weirdest.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
I have never seen the show but I saw a commercial for it where the guy had a "relationship" with his car, both emotional and physical. Whuhhhh? Dude? REALLY? Now, I love my car, I named my car, and sometimes I even talk to my car when accelerating or something like that, but... a relationship? That dude was sick.

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:08 PM
I don't even like watching the commercials for that show. Saw one where a girl claimed she was addicted to drinking gasoline and they showed a clip of her drinking it out of the can and watching TV with a full glass of it. I wasn't even aware people could do things like that without becoming seriously ill.

I was wondering the same thing but not nearly enough to actually watch the show.

But it's the 'a man and his car' one where I may need therapy from the commercials alone.

Wholehearted
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Whoa. Part of me is grossed out and part of me is like, whew, I guess maybe I'm more normal than I thought!

AliCat
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
I am not sure why I am watching this.

Punkie
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
I have never seen the show but I saw a commercial for it where the guy had a "relationship" with his car, both emotional and physical. Whuhhhh? Dude? REALLY? Now, I love my car, I named my car, and sometimes I even talk to my car when accelerating or something like that, but... a relationship? That dude was sick.

Object sexuality is a very real phsychosexual occurance. Rare, but real. It is not a fetish, it is not a means with which to enhance the person's relationship with other human beings...it is, by definition, the only type of romantic relationship they can form. Many of these people do not have intercourse of any form with the object they desire (much like those who are asexual), but they form a deep psychological bond and strong romantic feelings towards said object.

It is not doing harm to anyone and arguably does LESS harm than traditional relationships, because only one set of emotions and one living being is involved. Not my cup of tea, sure, but not sick. People live all sorts of lives that work for them. Just like I hope you're living in a way that suits you, that man and others like him are living in a way that suits them. And that's the beauty of autonomy.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:24 PM
IIRC, and I could be wrong, but I do believe he was saying that he DOES have a sexual relationship with his car. I did not watch the show, so, like I said, I could be wrong.

stolen virtue
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
Urine is sterile but... OMG that makes me want to toss my cookies.

Me too, I just cannot handle that thought.

ohrebecca
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
I watch this every week and still don't know why. Maybe to remind myself I'm not COMPLETELY off my rocker yet.

stolen virtue
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
I watch this every week and still don't know why. Maybe to remind myself I'm not COMPLETELY off my rocker yet.

I take it you have not discussed your horse obession yet....

BabyGoose
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
IIRC, and I could be wrong, but I do believe he was saying that he DOES have a sexual relationship with his car. I did not watch the show, so, like I said, I could be wrong.

Okay, that's it...... I am never buying a used car again.

stolen virtue
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:57 PM
Yes, I saw the car episode but on "The soup"....and I laughed and spit out my coffee.

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
I take it you have not discussed your horse obession yet....

hey now! They don't have enough time to take all of us on ;)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:03 AM
:lol: LMAO

KBC
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:17 AM

I've never watched this program, I watch Hoarders sometimes though, to convince myself that I'm not to bad yet.:D

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
I've never watched this program, I watch Hoarders sometimes though, to convince myself that I'm not to bad yet.:D

Same here for that too! Also sends me on a cleaning jag...

planetlisa
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
I'd hate to be that car guy's mechanic, and climb under that thing, is all I'm sayin' :dead:

Frizzle
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:35 AM
I do usually watch it, but I don't think I can handle watching the pee-drinker. Funny, I *could* watch the gasoline-drinker and the nail polish eater and the glass-eater and all those other weird-os, but I draw the line at pee. :lol:

And, yes, I saw the episode with the car guy and he was indeed "intimate" with the car. What I found interesting was that they guy had named the car Chase and he viewed it as a male--so, maybe he just feels he can't express homosexual feelings so he has decided to have a "relationship" with his "male" car? I found it odd that the therapist he spoke with never brought up that point, especially when the car-humper guy had said somthing like, "Well, I've gone out on a few dates with girls, but..."

Watching that show makes me feel SO normal! :yes:

bumknees
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:42 AM
i can honestly say i have never even seen the comercial for the show. And yeah I have cable. I think I am glad I would have probably tossed my cookies.. I have never wated horders have no desier to watch something like that . I had to clean out the house I am living in because someone who lived here was one. It only took me with about 10 helper 2 mths to make the house really liveable... Actuall yeven now I am still finding their stuff if I happen to look someplace that everyone thought someone else looked through you know like a storage closet type place... Or a corner of the basement/attic...

JanM
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:55 AM
The commercials disgust me so much I could never watch it. And I don't believe anyone could actually consume gasoline and live, so I think a lot of the shows are faked. I've read about kids who sniff gasoline to get high and it seriously hurts them, so consuming the stuff would be fatal. TLC has turned into freak shows, and some of them are totally unbelievable (Taboo, My Strange Addiction, etc), so I imagine there is very little on any of these that is true.

Bumknees-I've watch Hoarders (A&E, and TLC) occasionally, and I don't envy you one bit. They estimate that 1 in 25 households in this country are hoarders, and unfortunately the next mental illness DSM-V is supposedly going to list it as a legitimate mental illness. After that happens I imagine that will qualify for disability payments, and making someone clean up or evicting them (yes, it happens in rental properties also) will get much more difficult.

eclipse
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:22 AM
I only ever saw the episode where the woman was eating her husbands ashes! :eek: Totally grossed me out and I haven't had the urge to watch since! :no:

meupatdoes
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:30 AM

If my house is looking a little dusty in the corners and I am feeling unmotivated, one or two episodes of Hoarders gets my little @$$ right in gear and within seconds half of my possessions are flying out the door getting tossed to the curb for the garbage men to pick up.

Tap2Tango
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:43 AM

HAHAH I know the feeling. These TLC shows make me feel normal.

JanM
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks to occasionally watching one of the Hoarder shows, I too have cleaned out a ton of junk I don't need. And once or twice a year I go through my closet and the one clothes rack upstairs (for suit jackets and such) and get rid of what I don't wear, won't fit and never will, or just don't like. Plus, if I get new furniture I give the old item away, or if I don't need something because I've cleaned out stuff, then I put it by the road with a "Free" sign on it. Most things are gone immediately.

spacytracy
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
Oh, I just watched the pee one. Gross.

dani0303
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
I watched one last night where a woman was addicted to her breasts and breast implants. At the time of filming she was a size 0 with 38 KK implants. After production ended, she had gotten another surgery and went up to a 38 MM. Obviously, she was having severe health problems from it and almost died from a staph infection post-op.

Windsor1
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
Oh, I just watched the pee one. Gross.

At least on Hoarders, no one is drinking the pee. They're just storing it in Mason jars in the living room. :D

Tap2Tango
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
I don't consider myself a hoarder because I don't feel like I *have* to save my stuff. I'm just too damn lazy to go through it and throw it away :rolleyes: now if someone wants to do it for me, then go at it.

The crazy thing is, I can't stand a messy barn! My barn must be organized and clean at all times or it makes me nuts.

JanM
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Tap-Just start on one room, set a timer for 30 minutes or an hour, then clean that room until the timer goes off. Have white or clear and black garbage bags right there. Give aways go in one color bag, trash in the other, and bags are dumped outside the second they're full. If you do just one room this way, you'll make a fantastic amount of progress in a short amount of time. And don't throw away things that really mean something to you, just trash or donate things you don't use, want or need. I bet at the end of the first week you make tremendous progress, and you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner.

Without excess stuff it is so easy to clean and keep things tidied up. Then don't regress, and let things pile up. Having excess stuff around isn't just messy, but it's a weight on your outlook too. If you really don't want to do it yourself, then pay a couple of high school kids to sort stuff, and put in the appropriate bag while you supervise. It would be money well spent, and give a good kid some way to make a little extra money.

And if anyone is in the situation of cleaning up a hoarder house from a decease relative I saw an article that said the typical cleanup crew costs about $1,000 a day for the crew and truck. Of course, a crew that's used to massive cleanups, and that can go through without having to deal with sorting can do a huge house in a few days usually. A house in Westminster MD that was hoarded badly is for sale, for $129,000 or so, and says something like "interior will need extensive renovation"-what a joke, since after they had to remove poop mountain in all of the rooms of the house I think a bulldozer might be a cleaner and easier way to go, followed by a really big bonfire.

Montanas_Girl
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
I only ever saw the episode where the woman was eating her husbands ashes! :eek: Totally grossed me out and I haven't had the urge to watch since! :no:

This girl is from my home town. She graduated from high school with my sister. Naturally, one of the very first shots in that episode was of the "Welcome to Fayetteville" sign....

mvp
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
How do you have sex with a car?

Where is it's vagina or anus?

Huntertwo
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
As I was folding laundry this evening, I had TLC's "My Strange Addiction" on in the background... I've seen the show before, but this one took the cake! It featured a woman who says she has been addicted to drinking her own urine for four years!

She not only drinks it through her mouth, but she also submerges her open eyes in it by holding a shot glass full over her open eye, and also drinks it through her nose using a neti pot...

So strange... Never heard of something like that before. Did anyone else see this?!

OMG!!!! I saw this on TLC last night!!!!! Holy moly!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can usually eat and watch TV "gore" or violence and not be bothered.

I honestly had to turn away as the "vomit" factor was rising everytime she picked up the glass to drink her urine... Oh, gosh, here is comes again.....barf!

KBC
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:18 PM
How do you have sex with a car?

Where is it's vagina or anus?

I was carefully trying not to think about that....tail pipe was all that came to mind:eek:

eventerdiva
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
OMG!!!! I saw this on TLC last night!!!!! Holy moly!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can usually eat and watch TV "gore" or violence and not be bothered.

I honestly had to turn away as the "vomit" factor was rising everytime she picked up the glass to drink her urine... Oh, gosh, here is comes again.....barf!

The only way I could get through it was by telling myself, "nah.... That's just apple juice!" but then she would get this creepy dreamy look on her face, and I wanted to yack.

I definitely missed the ashes eating episode....that's just creepy!

Casey09
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
I too sometimes wonder if some of these were faked. If I did have some of the issues these people supposedly have, I don't think I'd be talking about it on national television.
I saw the commercial for the guy with the car, and I definitely thought that while it sounds very . . . unusual, when you have a number of people who are sexually attracted to children or using compulsion to have sex I guess it isn't that big of a deal. At the same time, though, it would be my luck to get in to an accident with someone like that;) and I bet that would be quite a deal.