PDA

View Full Version : New Job! Now what to wear?

DancingAppy
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:04 PM
so it is official, I am now employed and will start immediately after I graduate. I'll be working for a software company doing development.

Now here's my problem: I have no idea what to wear. I have not received a dress code and I don't believe there is one by the large disparity of how people dress there. People there wear anything from plain Jeans and a basic tee to dress Jeans and a nice button up (generally the managers) to business casual (generally HR, front desk and upper level management).

I have no idea what would be appropriate for a junior level worker, plus, I'll be managing interns, any ideas?

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:05 PM
you can always dress down later, I'd go with the more dressy options.

Windsor1
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
If managers are wearing nice jeans I would certainly think you'd be fine to wear them.

Based on what you've said I vote for dark-wash jeans, nice shirt (no T-shirts!). Maybe a scarf or some other accessories/simple jewelry. I think you can look casual and still look like you made an effort.

And anyone can look sloppy in pants (jacket and tie, even!) and look 100% pulled together and professional in jeans. It's less about the individual pieces than the overall presentation (but no T-shirts!). :)

CobJockey
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm a female systems administrator recently out of school also. I find that I'm usually the most well-dressed person in the department besides my boss, and that's okay with me. We have department-issued polos, and with that I will wear dressy ballet flats and good quality khakis or grey pants with the crease down the front. "Dress to impress" and "dress for the job you want, not the job you have," are my mantras. I find that I can wear really nice pants and no one notices, but it's the shoes that will attract attention, so I wear flats all the time.

ohrebecca
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
clothes!

fooler
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:01 AM
I'm a female systems administrator recently out of school also. I find that I'm usually the most well-dressed person in the department besides my boss, and that's okay with me. We have department-issued polos, and with that I will wear dressy ballet flats and good quality khakis or grey pants with the crease down the front. "Dress to impress" and "dress for the job you want, not the job you have," are my mantras. I find that I can wear really nice pants and no one notices, but it's the shoes that will attract attention, so I wear flats all the time.

This. You will have to spend money to buy work clothes. Go for business casual. Go to one of the better department stores in your area and make "friends" with one of the sales associates. They will help you find appropriate clothes along with fit. Also the good ones will let you know about sales ahead of time. FYI the bigger stores have an in house tailor in case you need. Look for brands that fit you well as you can buy a few pieces at a time but maintain a complete wardrobe. Jones New York is my brand of choice and they have slacks, skirts and jackets using the same
shade of say navy with complimentary tops.

Congrats on the new job!