PDA

View Full Version : End of the world in December ???

HeyPone!
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
So I have a family member who is totally freaked out about the Mayan calendar thing this December and is starting to stockpile food etc...

While it is a good thing to have supplies on hand in case of a blizzard or other weather related situation I'm not going to have a years worth of food in my basement. And if the world is ending...who needs food right :)

This family member has gone a little over the edge with the whole "end of the world" in December thing.

The way I see it, I wouldn't be able to stop it anyway, so I'm not really going to dwell on it.

Anyone else know someone who is flipping out about it? :confused:

Trying2Event
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
Fortunately, my boyfriend is a former Army Ranger; so my end of the world survival plan is to throw my hair straighter, makeup and booze into a bag and head to his house. He'll know what to do.

MaybeMorgan
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
In case the end of the world also includes zombies, I have this page from the CDC bookmarked-Good Stuff!

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Calvincrowe
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:11 PM
Eh, remind them that this is a civilization that couldn't invent the wheel for goodness sake! And we're trusting them to predict (a stone age people, people!) the "end of the world!"? Sigh.

On the other hand, when it doesn't come, you can have one heck of a neighborhood party with all that stockpiled food!:)

HeyPone!
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Zombies?? Oh good lord............LOL :p

olympicdreams04
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/truth-about-2012-mayan-calander.gif
Hehehe

spotted mustang
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's like the afterlife: people get hysterical about the idea because it sounds kinda exciting, but really, deep down nobody believes in it.

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:19 PM
http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/truth-about-2012-mayan-calander.gif
Hehehe

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let's just party like it's 1999...and we all know how that turned out! :D

twotrudoc
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well if ya believe in that then you better hurry the heck up and get what needs doin' done, only about 9 months left.

Make me a sandwich while your at it. :lol:

Anne FS
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
So I have a family member who is totally freaked out about the Mayan calendar thing this December and is starting to stockpile food etc...

Tell them they're too late; they should've freaked out last year (and I don't get the food thing either):

"By now everyone has heard about the end of times being predicted because the ancient Mayan calendar reportedly ends on December 21, 2012. Many movies have now been made that emphasises a 2012 doomsday scenario. But the end of the Mayan calendar is actually much sooner than that. A major miscalculation has been made because everyone failed to subtract the time adjustments made by Roman Emperor Julius Caesar in 47 B.C and then again by Roman Pope Gregory XIII and astronomer Christopher Clavius in 1582. What did they do to adjust time and thereby effect the Mayan Calendar end time date? Roman Emperor Julius Caesar introduced the Julian Calendar with an added Leap Year day every 4th year in 47 B.C. and Roman Pope Gregory XIII and astronomer Christopher Clavius introduced the Gregorian calendar which adjusted the Julian Leap Year by dropping 10 days in October of 1582.

"Leap Year has resulted in a miscalculation wherein the Mayan calendar’s December 21, 2012 end date actually ends this year, in 2011. I will now show you that it is entirely plausible that 2012 is actually 2011."

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 456 BC. Without that extra day every four years, today would be August-something, 2013.

Since the Mayan calendar did not account for leap days, their calendar actually ended 7 months ago.

We missed the apocalypse.

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:35 PM

damn.....

HeyPone!
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
There have been about 514 leap years since Caesar created it in 456 BC. Without that extra day every four years, today would be August-something, 2013.

Since the Mayan calendar did not account for leap days, their calendar actually ended 7 months ago.

:lol::lol:

BlueEyedSorrel
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:40 PM

:eek:But what about all the wine and booze I've been saving, so I could go out in style with an Apocalypse-a-ganza, while "It's the End of the World (As We Know It)" blasts from my iHome?

Guess I'll just have to start now....anyone want to join me?:lol:
BES

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:44 PM
:eek:But what about all the wine and booze I've been saving, so I could go out in style with an Apocalypse-a-ganza, while "It's the End of the World (As We Know It)" blasts from my iHome?

Guess I'll just have to start now....anyone want to join me?:lol:
BES
OT Day sounds like the perfect excuse to me :lol:

Coanteen
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:47 PM

And I had such high hopes for it, too :no:

HeyPone!
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:54 PM
Would the apocalypse be considered a holiday and would there be an off topic forum that day? Likely it would be better to have the forum open the day before :lol:

"It's the End of the World (As We Know It)" blasts from my iHome?

OMG....BlueEyedSorrel............Too funny!!!

jetsmom
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
Dec 21 is my birthday...I told my husband not to buy me a calendar or gym membership for my birthday this yr, just in case!;)

Jaideux
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
Funny side note: Assuming that the whole leap-year piece of it wasn't relevant, Snooki is apparently pregnant and her due date is Dec 21, 2012.

Yes.

Her due date is the same as the Mayan Apocalypse.

findeight
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
:lol: everybody believes this but the Mayans anyway...whose world "ended" last time this cycle came around...with a multi year drought that did not affect much outside their immediate region. Survivors missed the Spanish too. But they are still with us and did not fly off the surface of the globe into space or perish in cataclysm.

They think we are nuts but are enjoying the brisk business selling momentos of the end of the world down in Cancun:lol: and on the steps of their ancestral monuments we pay to see.

eclipse
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Well I sat through "Stonhenge Apocalypse" on tv last night........does that count as witnessing the end of the world?

Sonesta
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
Funny side note: Assuming that the whole leap-year piece of it wasn't relevant, Snooki is apparently pregnant and her due date is Dec 21, 2012.

Yes.

Her due date is the same as the Mayan Apocalypse.

IF it's a girl, she should name it "Maya."

Frank B
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
...Let's just party like it's 1999...and we all know how that turned out! :D
Well, it did pull the plug on the old USDF BB. Damn shame, too. I miss those Friday dives. Ah-OOO-gah! Ah-OOO-gah!

noreins
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sorry to burst the Snooki bubble, but in order to have a due date of 12/21 that baby would have to be conceived on or around 3/30...which of course hasn't happened yet.

Epona142
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:48 PM
I full believe the human race will come to an end eventually, one way or another, but there is no way to know when. Could be next year, could be 100 years from now.

Either way, I'm not scared of it. I'll either die or I'll survive. Simple.

rodawn
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:50 PM
Sorry to burst the Snooki bubble, but in order to have a due date of 12/21 that baby would have to be conceived on or around 3/30...which of course hasn't happened yet.

Uh, no. Snooki, I'm assuming, is a horse, so 340 days gestation means she would have been bred approximately January 16th.

SaturdayNightLive
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
Uh, no. Snooki, I'm assuming, is a horse, so 340 days gestation means she would have been bred approximately January 16th.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

rodawn - meet Snooki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfh8ZzaM-w

horsetales
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:11 PM

Dang, I was planning on being able to skip all Christmas shopping and eating everything in sight starting at Thanksgiving :lol:

I have read there are several other ancient cultures who have predicted the same end, weird

FLeventer
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Personally, getting to watch people prepare for the end of the world on that show doomsday bunkers is worth all this hype. That show makes me laugh so hard at those people.

rodawn
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

rodawn - meet Snooki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfh8ZzaM-w

ahhhahaaaahahahahaha Jokes on me! :lol::lol::lol: