PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on Nutrisystem?

ChocoMare
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm 13 days in and 10 pounds down. It's got to go... all of it.

I found it much easier than I thought it would be. I went with the Nutrisystem-D plan, even tho I'm not diabetic, and it's really helped stop the cravings for sugar/bread. I'm eating between 1,000 and 1200 calories a day, along with almost all the water. So far, so good!

nevertoolate
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:09 PM
My husband has been doing it for 2.5 months, and has lost about 30 lbs. He just cancelled his auto-shipping, and has enrolled in the ala carte membership ($49 for one year, can order items ala carte at 20% off and free shippping). It seems to be a good program...good luck with it!

Indy
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
My mom was on Nutrisystem around 3 years ago and lost over 50lbs. But then she went off of it and gained it all back. She's just started up with it again and has already dropped weight. It seems like it works very well for some people. When she was on it the first time I tried some of the food and it wasn't bad. I thought it was better than some of the diet meals you get in the grocery store for sure.

Curb Appeal
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
I've done it a few times, never for more than a couple months in a row though because it got sooooo boring. I can't sustain a diet where I eat the same nasty processed stuff every day.

If you're only eating 1,000-1,200 calories per day you need to increase your add ins. That's too little and you're risking a plateau.

Woodland
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
Any diet stops working when you go off of it. I sell weight loss products. I am a weight loss counselor. I know from personal experience that when I stop using my products and start eating Oreos again I gain weight. It is how it is.

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
I know people who have had success with the system. I personally could never manage it because the food did not look appetizing. Although really, thats part of the problem, right? ;) I find food way too appetizing in general, its what got me fat in the first place!

For me though, the losing weight part is easy. I've pretty much done every diet out there with success in losing the weight, but then gaining it all back as soon as I was off the "diet".

I think the best thing you can do is to find something you know you can sustain long term (like...for the rest of your life) and it isn't just about the short term goal of losing weight.

Louise
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
KateKat has it right. I think all of those diest and diet products will help you lose weight. The trick is keeping it off and eating healthy at the same time. That's the big catch because these weight loss food systems don't offer opportunities to learn how to eat correctly.

There are some good calorie counting sites on the internet. I'm using Calorie Count, mainly because it was the first one I found and because it grades the food you eat and has graphs and charts that tell you if your balancing your diet correctly. I find eating healthier is becoming second nature to me now, and, hopefully, will be ingrained by the time that I have lost all of the weight that I want to. It's certainly less expensive, too.

MistyBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Nutrisystem (and similar products) work really great if that system fits your personality. :yes:

My husband tried a billion ways to eat healthier and cut out a lot of fat. Years of this. And despite living with me who doesn't buy or keep crap food in the house, he put weight on.

His personality works best with a structured diet plan delivered right to him. The "Here, eat this stuff. Only thing you can add is veggies and drinks."

Another huge benefit for him was their online tracking. Not much he loves better than tracking stuff, charts, graphs, etc. :lol: :winkgrin: Oddly that didn't kick in on tracking food he chose.

But the combo of the 2 worked fantastic for him. He had zero issues sticking to it. After a month he knew which foods he liked and which he didn't. He went on it January 2011. He lost 45 lbs and has kept it off no problems. He can have off-diet snacks now without overindulging. He also loves their icecream, LOL! He only gets how much food he wants now from them and can eat better without it.

He also went on the diabetic plan, also for seniors. He's not a diabetic but it did cut out his carb cravings. :yes:

FWIW...some people will need a small back-up freezer to store the food at first. I tend to keep my freezer packed and finding room was tough at first. I've tasted some of the food...some is quite good. Some is blech. Some oddly smells like crap but tastes okay.

magnolia73
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
My mom did Nutri System and Jenny Craig a bunch of times and always lost the weight.

The hardest part is probably going to be learning how to eat on your own unless you plan on staying on it the rest of your life. I don't think it is impossible- but you'll need a plan.

ChocoMare
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Once I'm 75% near goal, I will move over to Weight Watchers. This way I can still track caloric intake daily on line, but switch to more "realistic" foods.

I'm like MB's hubby: I need "grab & go." If I have to plan, think, etc. I will fail. I was brutally honest with myself, so NS fits me.

spotteddrafter
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
VERY timely thread for me, as I was just looking at Nutrisystem, Jenny Craig, et all on line this weekend. I really need to lose this weight, and really for right now I just need "someone" to give me what I should eat. I have tried WW many times, and while have had success, I quickly fall back into justifying what I'm eating.

Chocomare, I'm with you - I will do a plan like Nutrisystem and then transition to WW as I get closer to goal.

Tip - I briefly checked the local classifieds and found people selling their unused meals. Of course, I would check dates and such, but might be a good idea to look into!

Good luck!!!

ChocoMare
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Good for you SD. Nutrisystem has 40% off right now!

As to uneaten meals: NS's online forum has threads where people trade, sell, buy etc.

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
KateKat has it right. I think all of those diest and diet products will help you lose weight. The trick is keeping it off and eating healthy at the same time. That's the big catch because these weight loss food systems don't offer opportunities to learn how to eat correctly.

There are some good calorie counting sites on the internet. I'm using Calorie Count, mainly because it was the first one I found and because it grades the food you eat and has graphs and charts that tell you if your balancing your diet correctly. I find eating healthier is becoming second nature to me now, and, hopefully, will be ingrained by the time that I have lost all of the weight that I want to. It's certainly less expensive, too.

This ^

I have been dieting since the beginning of the year and have lost 16.5lbs. This might sound weird to some of you but I downloaded Andrew Johnsons weightloss app (subluminal thing) on my iPhone and I also use myfitnesspal. Eating the right things is becoming second nature and I'm going to keep going with it even after I lose what I want. You have to change the way you eat, forever if you want to keep it off. Sure I cheat every once in a while, but now when I look at donuts and fattening things all I see is something that makes me fat. NutriSystem is cool for people that can afford it, or that type of structure is works for them, but unless you want to be on NutriSystem forever you still have to learn how to eat right.

Good luck to you! I'm glad you're seeing some good results quickly. I hope you're able to reach your goal!

magnolia73
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Once I'm 75% near goal, I will move over to Weight Watchers. This way I can still track caloric intake daily on line, but switch to more "realistic" foods.

Sounds like a great plan!

nevertoolate
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
That's how my husband is doing it as well - start with Nutrisystem and now after three months, transitioning to Weight Watchers. It helps that my DD and I are also doing WW. She's been doing it for a few months, and is down almost 40 lbs. I started a few weeks and am down about 10 lbs. He's also gotten into tracking everything he eats with the "Lose It" app. I think it's a great way to get a diet started, but you just have to plan ahead for the transition.