PDA

View Full Version : Bell Boots

AliCat
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
I am fairly certain that I am going to get the Italian pull on style from Beval's, but I figured I would see if anyone liked something better before I drive over there.

They are not on 24/7, and will be used 4 or 5 days a week.
I currently use a beat up old pair donated to the school horses, in a mismatched size. LOL.

For those who have them, do you agree with my assessment that my horse who wears a size 3 should V (XL)? The pair I currently use consists of a V and a VI (XXL) which I think is overkill. Is it true the gum color is actually easier to get on and off than the black? He is a solid bay, so I was going to do black, but it doesn't really matter just for schooling.

Credosporthorses
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
I would say XL would be more then big enough. IIRC my size 3 horse goes in larges. I LOVE the Beval boots. I have the black ones, I think they are easy to get on and off.

edit: Just went and looked my horse is in IV

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:41 PM
I found that the gum color in any brand is easier to get on, however they definitely don't hold up as well as the black or white. While I like the Bevals, I use a pull on from SmartPak n(Centaur I think)with the double thick bottom and they hold up just as well in my experience and would save you $10 or more.

Seal Harbor
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Love the Italian Bells from Bevals. I need to order another pair, but the ones I have now are probably 4 years old. I have the black, they are easy to put on and take off. Worth the money.

AliCat
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:47 PM
I would say XL would be more then big enough. IIRC my size 3 horse goes in larges. I LOVE the Beval boots. I have the black ones, I think they are easy to get on and off.

edit: Just went and looked my horse is in IV
Thanks for checking!

I found that the gum color in any brand is easier to get on, however they definitely don't hold up as well as the black or white. While I like the Bevals, I use a pull on from SmartPak n(Centaur I think)with the double thick bottom and they hold up just as well in my experience and would save you $10 or more.
Bevals is a 20 min drive, so that probably evens out the $10 for shipping with SmartPak.

FLeventer
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have a pair of the bevals and a pair of the centaurs. I like the centars just as much and they last just as long. I always go one size up then I think I need. My TB was in an XL, my QH in a L.

I personally say that they all are the same to pull on. I'm damn good at it and get my black ones on and off in about 2 minutes or under.

jhorse11386
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
I use the Italian pull on bell boots and they work great. I use them six days a week when I ride. My friend has the same ones and she has them on her horse 24/7 and they have held up great. We both use the gum ones which we like very much and they stretch very well. I can't comment on the white or black ones because I have never used them.

I don't know what number size they are but my 16 hand TB wears a medium and my friends 16.2 hand TB wears a large.

rugbygirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
My horse wears bell boots all the time, it was a suggestion from our farrier as a double-protection against pulling shoes.

This horse also does distance riding (finished two LDs at the end of last year, will be doing 50 mile rides this year along with Jumping)

Anyway, just letting you know that the bell boots I've tried get a LOT of mileage. :D

Best ones bar none are the Supra brand available from Greenhawk for $6. They are the only ones I've tried that don't rub...and I've even tried custom made ones (no turn ones.)

I can't be bothered with pull-ons, especially at vet checks and stuff...the velcro works fine, and you really can't see it from very far away on the black ones.

My horse wears a large in all brands, he is 16.3hh and Trakehner, but not overly heavy. I find a lot of people use bell boots that are too big.

TrakeGirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
Personally - if I am only using them to ride in, I go for the velcro kind. I have no desire to be wrangling on/off the pull ons if I don't have to.

My guy has the Italian/Beval pull ons for 24/7 use. I like them because they are the only pull ons that are long enough to cover the bulb of the heel.

If I only had to put them on when I rode - I would probably pick the no-turn Davis bell boots (velcro) as they are also long enough.