PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of armpit stains?

sheltona01
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
For my job as a server, I have to wear white dress shirts to work. Of course, I run my butt off and sweat a lot and get yellow stains in the armpits. :( What causes them and how do I get my shirts white again? I have tried bleach and it did not work.

TIA!

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
waiting on help with this one. I love white shirts but they dont love me :cry:

overthemoon
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
From what I've heard it's your deodorant/antiperspirant that causes the yellow discolouration, not the sweat itself. Step one would logically be to get a product that advocates against the yellow (I've seen it for men, not sure if women's brands make any - haven't looked).

I'm not sure about getting rid of the pre-existing stains.

stolen virtue
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:11 PM
I use Zout. It definately makes a difference. I also read somewhere about baking soda, but since Zout gets the black soot off of Mr. Stolen's fire clothes I've always used that.

Snowflake
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nope, it's proteins in the sweat that causes stains and washing soda is the only way I've gotten it out. Soak for 10-15 minutes before washing and add to the wash as well. It even got cat urine stains off of a white duvet. Amazing and cheap!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:27 PM
Change your deodorant. It's the aluminum in deodorant that causes the yellow stains.

yellowbritches
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:09 PM
I used to have a lot of trouble with this, and every kind of stain remover was tried. No luck.

Switched to Tom's of Maine deodorant a couple of years ago and no longer have issues. I may be a little, uh, moister than I was on Secret, Degree, etc, but I don't mind. I do tend to "freshen" it up in the middle of summer when I'm out roasting in the sun, but I think I'm the only one who finds myself offensive!

Snowflake
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Change your deodorant. It's the aluminum in deodorant that causes the yellow stains.

This is not true. My grandfather used to sweat profusely and didn't wear deoderant (yes, i know... gross) He would get yellow pits and yellow rings around the collars of all of his white undershirts. When he moved in with me before he died, I washed all of his whites in washing soda and it even cleared up old, set in sweat stains. So, no, it isn't always the deoderant, though I'm sure it may play it's part.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/107724-causes-yellow-perspiration/

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:45 PM
This is not true. My grandfather used to sweat profusely and didn't wear deoderant (yes, i know... gross) He would get yellow pits and yellow rings around the collars of all of his white undershirts. When he moved in with me before he died, I washed all of his whites in washing soda and it even cleared up old, set in sweat stains. So, no, it isn't always the deoderant, though I'm sure it may play it's part.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/107724-causes-yellow-perspiration/

"The biggest culprit is the antiperspirant, the aluminum-based products in them that stop the body from perspiring are virtually impossible to get rid of," says Brian Johnson, director of training at the Drycleaning & Laundry Institute. - from this WSJ article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703859304576305372447004628.html).