PDA

View Full Version : From the Old Chestnut Mare to the Moo-Thru, Ivanhoes and beyond!

Sanely Eccentric
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
As a part-owner in the Old Chestnut Mare syndicate I've been following the thread constantly. Aside from the amazement of good-heartedness represented I also find myself totally intrigued by the Moo-Thru mentioned in this thread. Of course I would have liked to have been there to pick up and deliver the mare to her new retirement home with BNG, but secretly I also wanted to go with everyone to the Moo-Thru. The name and the thought of delicious, fresh ice cream intrigues me to no end. My husband thinks I need to accept that we do not have a Moo-Thru anywhere near us. :lol:

When I visit my family in Indiana I always get to go to Ivanhoes which has 100 shakes and 100 sundaes. I highly recommend the Mint Crumb sundae that includes a chocolate nut brownie (warmed) topped with hand-dipped mint chocolate chip ice cream and hot fudge. Their fresh strawberry shortcake (back in season already) includes shortcake, soft ice cream, berries, more berries, and whipped cream. http://www.ivanhoes.info/ It's all heavenly!

So I thought we could compile a list of the most delicious ice cream spots in our various areas for our dining pleasure when we happen to be in those areas. :D Who has one of those mom and pop places that should not be missed?

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
Holsten's, of "Sopranos" fame(the luncheonette used in the last scene of the series-they're all eating ice cream) in Bloomfield NJ has superb homemade ice cream-anything with vanilla is heavenly, but my favorite are their sherberts.

Also Applegate Farms in Montclair NJ (actually Upper Montclair, but it sounds snobby, I've been told) has really great ice cream and the best hot fudge since another old favorite, Gruning's, closed in the 80's.

onyx98
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Rich Farm in Oxford, CT. The Ice cream is to die for, and it's at a dairy farm. All of their ice cream is phenomenal, but the German Chocolate Cake is just plain dangerous!

http://richfarmicecream.com/index.html

The only thing to note is to watch the timing. The parking lot fills up fast, and while the line moves fast, it can get quite long! Especially in the middle of the summer. But it is SO worth it.

Sanely Eccentric
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Winegars in Ellensburg, WA (smack dab in the middle of the state just off I-90 and about 1.5 hours from Seattle) has delicious ice cream. It used to be you could go to the Winegar Dairy Farm to get yummy, homemade-like ice cream in waffle cones. I think they may have closed that location, but they have two other locations in town. If you're ever in the area you must try one or more of the delicious flavors of Winegar ice cream.

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
Calder Dairy in Monroe, MI, and IIRC their outlet store/ice cream parlor is in Lincoln Park MI. Rich, creamy ice cream, milk in glass bottles, all local.

Also, cow cam videos on their website. If you were wondering where the milk came from.

didgery
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
Mallards in Bellingham, WA has local ingredients, crazy flavors (cardamom is the best!), and a nice laid back hipster vibe. Cash or check only. Insane deliciousness.

tabula rashah
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:03 PM
Kilby Cream (http://www.kilbycream.com/home.php)
in my town of Rising Sun, MD is fabulous!!! My personal favorite is a chocolate shake made with their super rich chocolate ice cream and their own chocolate milk. Their holstein cream ice cream (sweet cream ice cream with oreo pieces) is to die for!