View Full Version : Getting perspiration odors out of tshirts, etc.

Mar. 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Ok, so I get really stinky down here in the heat and humidity, that has hit early this year when I work around the barn or ride. Any tips on getting those nasty odors out? Thanks!

Mar. 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
You'll laugh but straight vodka in a spray bottle. Spray on affected areas, allow to dry completely. Then launder as normal. It what's theaters use on costumes that can't be washed daily.

Just test it on fine synthetics and brightly dyed clothes in an inconspicuous spot before really going to town.

Mar. 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
I forget the exact name but Tide has one type for athletic wear. I have to use that in the summer for stinky stuff

Mar. 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
White vinegar always worked for us.
Spot pre-soak if you need and pour a cup in the wash.

Don't know with some modern fabrics, may want to try on something not very valuable first.;)

Mar. 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
And don't forget to not overload your washer! Clothes need room to swish and agitate... the water and soap has to get to the affected areas and flow through the fabric to carry the soil and odors away.

Mar. 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
I can't get the scent out of mine, but it's because of what my metabolism does when I work out/ride. It's not regular BO that smells like onions, it has an ammonia smell. I've heard it's normal, but I don't know how to stop it. (Wish I could!) I have to buy new shirts often, or just deal with it.

Mar. 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
I recommend using a dose of Biz in your wash. It's been around since the 1970s and uses enzymes to lift smells and stains out. I sometimes have trouble finding it in my area, but other COTHers have mentioned being able to find it in Walmart.

Mar. 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Borax. Good old Borax. Gets the smell out of stable blankets too (I have one that will lie right in the manure.)

Mar. 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
THANKS!! It is frustrating. Right now I have a t-shirt I really love that stinks. I think since going through the change I sweat more and it's a different type of sweat than before. I am very conscientious about being clean as well as brushing my teeth and tongue. I certainly don't want to be offensive (any more than my personality already is!). I'll try the vodka, vinegar, Biz and Borax. I actually sprayed the tshirt with an enzyme that is supposed to eliminate cat urine but it didn't get the stink out. I love spring and summer, but will change clothes often, LOL!

Mar. 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
I second the vodka... learned that trick in theatre also. (:

Mar. 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
Do your T-shirts have any polyester in them? If so, this may be the majority of the odor problem - polyester tends to absorb and hang onto odors despite all efforts to eliminate them.

Try getting rid of the polyester, even the poly-cotton blends, and going with 100% natural cotton T's. And the added bonus is that cotton is a lot cooler than polyester which hopefully may help to reduce some sweating. :)

Mar. 19, 2012, 12:33 AM
I find woven rayon even better than cotton, for staying cool and battling sweat.

Mar. 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
RE: Biz check out your local big lots or od lots.. My local one has had huge boxes of it lately. i have been looking for it for ''ever'' and found it there.
Dh thinks Im nuts bought 4boxes of it . My local walmart doesnt have biz.