PDA

View Full Version : Tall boots and stick legs. Help!

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
Here's my dilemma. my calf measures just over 12 1/2 inches with breeches and thin socks on. my high instep has made the last few years with my old pull-on Ariat boots absolutely miserable. Some background- all boots I have had in the past have been pull ons (no such thing as zip-ups when I was coming along), and they have always been huge around the lower calf and ankle so that I could fit my foot through.

So here goes.....the real dilemma. I am going to have to go to zip ups. However, the slimmest calf I can find for my foot size (8) is 13" in stock boots. I have to have talls as I am 6' tall. I had some Ariat Challenges which were absolutely awful-no need to go into detail, they are gone.
I ordered a newer pair of the Crowne Pro Ariat- they are lovely boots, but didn't give me any trouble getting on when I first got them (I have heard they stretch a lot and should be very difficult to get on at first). They do fit right now. I only show in my boots, I ride daily in jeans/half chaps.
Here's my question: should I keep the Ariats and only show in them and pray they don't stretch too much... or keep trying other boots? I cannot afford custom or there would be no questions. Does anyone have any experience with these boots?

Renn/aissance
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
My sister is also tall and slender and wears Crowne Pros and has not had problems with them stretching unduly.

Rel6
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
My Crowne Pros were to wide in the calf and ankle when I get them and still are, but not by any more. I can't noticed stretching with them and the other girls at my barn who have them don't either.

That said, I made my Crowne Pros my everyday riding boots because I got lucky finding a pair of off the rack Parlantis on sale that fit perfectly.

So if you do keep searching, put your Crowne Pros to good use by shelving the half chaps and riding in them everyday. I've had mine for three years and they look amazing. I also tend not to take the best care of them...they get worn through mud, snow, puddles, left in freezing tack room, etc and they've held up amazingly. I just cleaned them for the first time in... four months? I scrubbed the mud off and gave them a layer of Lexol and they look great.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
Tredstep da vinci is the skinniest off-the-rack boot available.
http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/tredstep-da-vinci-field-boot-9484p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah, that's what I hear but I know it's silly, but they look funny to me- I think its that laces/that area. Pretty is as pretty does I guess.

Do people like them?

From what I can tell their slimmest is likely too slim and then it bounces up to 13" like everyone else!

MissMaverick
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Here's my dilemma. my calf measures just over 12 1/2 inches with breeches and thin socks on. my high instep has made the last few years with my old pull-on Ariat boots absolutely miserable. Some background- all boots I have had in the past have been pull ons (no such thing as zip-ups when I was coming along), and they have always been huge around the lower calf and ankle so that I could fit my foot through.

So here goes.....the real dilemma. I am going to have to go to zip ups. However, the slimmest calf I can find for my foot size (8) is 13" in stock boots. I have to have talls as I am 6' tall. I had some Ariat Challenges which were absolutely awful-no need to go into detail, they are gone.
I ordered a newer pair of the Crowne Pro Ariat- they are lovely boots, but didn't give me any trouble getting on when I first got them (I have heard they stretch a lot and should be very difficult to get on at first). They do fit right now. I only show in my boots, I ride daily in jeans/half chaps.
Here's my question: should I keep the Ariats and only show in them and pray they don't stretch too much... or keep trying other boots? I cannot afford custom or there would be no questions. Does anyone have any experience with these boots?

Unfortunately, Ariat has the largest variety of sizes and none of the other off-the-shelf manufacturers have come close. The reason I see this as unfortunate is because those of us who are unhappy with the recent changes in Ariat's quality, customer service, availability, etc. are pretty much stuck with them if we happen to be the type that fit only into Ariat and can't afford customs.

Rel6- Your Crowne Pros are still going strong most likely because they are older Ariats (see other coth threads about Ariat). Last May I got a new pair, and wore through the calf in 6 months, as well as cracking the toe box. Ariat's newer models are meant to be "disposable". The company states that they should last about a year with normal use.

changeofheart1- I would suggest looking into the Monacos. I know they're almost as much as customs, but they run so much smaller in the calf than the other models- I know a woman who had a pair of full calf Crowne Pros that were a little loose, so she ordered a pair of wide calf Monacos, knowing they ran a bit smaller, and couldn't even zip them up- there was a good 3/4" gap between each side of the zipper! A tall slim pair of Monacos would most likely fit like a glove, and I haven't heard complaints of them wearing too fast (though they are extra soft calfskin, so are more delicate and more likely to stretch). I work at a tack shop so I encounter the boot sizing dilemma all too often...

Another option would be to keep the Crowne Pros and take them to a cobbler that can cut out part of the boot in the back by the zipper to make them more "custom". However, I'm guessing the cost of the cobbler plus the Crowne Pros will be about the same as the Monacos (retail at $900). I have also not heard a lot of positive feedback about the Quantum foot bed that Ariat is now promoting (in the Crowne Pros). I have a pair of Quantum paddock boots (made to replace the old Cobalt XRs) and I just want my Cobalts back :( . My feet hurt after an hour or so of walking around.

Depending on what your riding discipline is, you also might consider looking into the Ariat Volants- they make them in black with a back zip for the more traditional look (and you can't really tell they're space boots from far away :winkgrin: ) or the more fashion-forward black with off-set red zipper down the outside. http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/Footwear/Volant/VolantTall.html?color=BLACK_CALF I have the black pair, and they are more comfortable than any other tall boot I've tried, and are breathable. Just looking on the website though, it seems my uber-comfy Volants also have the Cobalt Quantum footbed.....but they feel so different than the Quantums....

Last, but not least, is the company La Mundial. http://la-mundial.com/inicio.php

They are full custom, take about 6 weeks to get once you've ordered them, and come from Argentina. They're also about $20 cheaper than the Ariat Crowne Pros...
I know quite a few people who have gone this route and LOVE their new boots. Because of the super soft leather, they seem to hold up better for those of you with tall and thin calves as opposed to those of us with shorter calves.

I hope my rant has helped you out a little bit. Happy riding!

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
Yes, Miss Maverick, your rant has helped! Thank you. Who would you get to measure for the La Mundials?

Rel6
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
I would avoid the Monacos. You can go custom or semi custom for around the same price and get MUCH higher quality. I have heard nothing good about them.

Rainrider
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have stick legs- and I mean sticks- the Monacos are great- I use them only for show- I have Ariat field boots and that are bit big in the calf but they are fine for everyday with a heavy sock- I think they are the Crowne- not sure- I thought they were going to be way too big but they work fine-

MissMaverick
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
Yes, Miss Maverick, your rant has helped! Thank you. Who would you get to measure for the La Mundials?

Glad I could be of service :) Regarding who you should talk to...that's a really good question. They're always set up at the horse shows out here, but try contacting the company (http://www.la-mundial.com/reps.php). Depending on where you live and show, you may run into them. Otherwise, the rep should be able to point you in the right direction (but I haven't actually dealt with them so can't say for sure).

I suggest going to your local tack shop and getting measured again to have a general starting point...even though I hate it when people come in to do that.... :no: but I completely understand your dilemma.

Good luck!

ps- I think they're made in Ecuador, not Argentina. If that matters to you...

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
Local tack shop-for me that would be Tractor Supply Company lol. I will check into those though. Unfortunately we don't get any boot makers at the shows around here in NC. Thanks for all the advice.

changeofheart1
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
Where does one find semi-customs these days? I had some Effingham semi customs as a teenager but they aren't in business.

Rel6
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:28 PM
Der-Dau: http://www.equestriancollections.com/matrixkit.asp?groupcode=DD10009u

Sergio Grasso: http://www.doversaddlery.com/sergio-grasso-imperia-field-bo/p/X1-38746/

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:36 PM
I just got Tredstep Da Vinci's. My calf is just under 13" and I like a pretty snug boot, so I was worried about getting a 13" but did it anyway. They're almost too tight. I'm sure they'll stretch to what I want them to be after a while: a tight fitting true to size 13". However if you like a more "normal" fitting calf, the 13" would probably fit you well.

ETA: I wasn't crazy about mind at first, but didn't have much of a choice because they're the only non-custom boots that fit me (literally the ONLY ones short and slim enough), but after a while I got used to the way they look, and I like it. I think the laces give them a slimmer look at the ankle. It was just a much different style than I was used to, which is why I think I didn't like the look of them at first.

STA
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Try your local consignment shop. You have a good chance of finding someone else's custom boots for a great price.

Tony
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Beval Puissance comes in narrow sizes

changeofheart1
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
And those Bevals are on sale...even better : )
Tony, do you know about the quality or any kind of reviews?

juniormom
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:01 PM
Try the "Tack Room" in Camden, SC. If you haven't ever been there - you are in for a treat. It would be worth your time! Our daughter used to buy a stock foot with a "custom leg" and that always worked well. :)

changeofheart1
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Does anyone know anything about the DeNiro boots? They have them in SmartPak, and the measurements sound pretty close. If anyone has had any experience with them let me know! I have decided to send back the Quantum Crowne Pros and shop around some more.

ShaSamour
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:35 PM
I have the DeNiro Ottaviano's and love them. My calf measures just under 13". I got size 38 / Slim / 1x tall. They fit like a glove, the leather is gorgeous, and the workmanship is beautiful. They are extremely comfortable and broke in immediately. Just as an FYI, they do not drop much. I think mine dropped a half an inch or less. SmartPak was great to work with - it took a couple of attempts to get it right, and they were very accommodating about exchanges.

ETA: I had a pair of Quantum Crowne Pro's as a backup in case the DeNiro's didn't work out. Compared to the DeNiro's, the Ariats look coarse and clunky. I sold them down the road.

RiderWriter
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:53 AM
Another stick-legged person chiming in. Not sure exactly what I measure, but I'm sure it's 13" max: my new half-chaps are XS Talls. The folks in the tack shop told me that the Tredsteps would be perfect for me. I didn't have time to try them on yet, and I don't need tall boots as I'm not showing, but they sure look like they'd fit. Thank goodness for zippers, they alone have made a huge difference for skinny types!

OP, I'm glad the Pros seem to be working so far. I am appalled that Ariat actually thinks their boots should only hold up for a year?? Do they think ALL riders are made of money? Guess I should take even better care of my old Performer paddock boots since any replacements are likely to be POSs...:-/ Considering my current pair of tall boots was purchased in 1978, are still intact and still fit, apparently riding boots are just one more thing that ain't what they used to be.

ShaSamour
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
I had a pair of the original made-in-Italy Ariat Champion field boots - got them the first year they were available (mid-1990's?). They finally gave up the ghost about 2 years ago, and I was riding in them 4 days a week. I was able to find a replacement pair on E-Bay, new in the box.

About a month ago, I stumbled on a pair of the original Italian Ariat Crownes on CL. In a slim calf, too! New in the box. Snapped them up too.

The original Ariat tall boots are just orders of magnitude nicer than the current made-in-China versions. I'm sure it was a cost issue for them, but the quality has definitely suffered. That's why I did the DeNiro's for my new show boots as opposed to the Quantum Crownes or Monacos.

Tony
Mar. 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
And those Bevals are on sale...even better : )
Tony, do you know about the quality or any kind of reviews?

I have a pair I purchased just a few months ago. They are the only boot that fits me without going custom. The leather is nice quality , lined throughout the calf. I have only had them for a few months so I do not know how they hold up long term, but I do not see any reason they will not. The zipper seems nice.
The boots are womans size on the chart , although I am male my calf is too narrow for any mens boots. The size chart worked out for me exactly as it reads. I ordered them online without ever trying them on and they fit perfect.
The sale is great too.

Claddagh
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:39 PM
Just want to chime in about the Beval Puissance boots. I got these boots because I too have a really slim calf and absolutely no "off the shelf" boot has ever fit me. The Puissance are perfect in both slimness and height! Super nice leather and great quality and soooo comfortable (even right out of the box). I just love them.

jrzeqrider
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
Loveee my Puissances! They break in really quickly and easily.

38acres
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
Another vote for the DaVinci's! I love mine and my calf is a 12.5". The slim is perfect and the soft leather at the laces meant no break in time at all.

HorseLuvr
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
I have stick legs! Very long legs and very skinny calves - 12 in. with riding pants and socks on. I bought Sergio Grasso tall boots and love them. They are tall enough for my long leg and it fits my chicken leg calf perfect.