PDA

View Full Version : What resolution is your monitor set to view internet?

Sonesta
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Knowing our audience most often used resolution helps in designing websites that appear attractive when viewed by prospective clients. It helps to know what resolutions are being used most often. For example, if you design a site with a set width of say, 1200 pixels, if the user is viewing it on a monitor set at 800 x 600, then half the website will be off the screen - forcing the user to have to scroll over to see it (terrible!)

On the other hand, if the site design is a set width of 800 pixels and the resolution is set at 1200, then the website will look disproportionately small on the screen.

And if you design the site to automatically spread it's width to 100% of the user's screen size, you can get websites that end up with teeny tiny type spread out all over or huge type with content that is very crowded.

So, check your computer monitor's resolution and let me know what you use! You can do this on Windows by going to your desktop and right-clicking, then choosing "Personalize" and then "Display"

Thank you on behalf of those of use designing sites.

LexInVA
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
I go with 1920 x 1080 (16:9) as that is the current dominant standard for desktop resolution as far as monitors go and it scales perfectly to 1366 x 768 and 1600 x 900, which are the native resolutions of current notebooks except for the high-end ones that use 1920 x 1080. Anything else would be a waste of time. Only people with ancient desktops and laptops are using the 4:3 resolutions and they haven't sold monitors or system packages with those for almost a decade except low-end business stuff. 16:10 displays are all but dead so there's no reason to think about those since they scale from 16:9 perfectly anyway.

Sonesta
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:48 PM
Lex, is that your monitor's resolution top end or do you ACTUALLY view websites at that resolution? If the latter, I suspect you are seeing a LOT of distorted websites!

Simkie
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
1920 x 1080 here, with the laptop as a secondary monitor at 1600 x 900.

1920 x 1200 at work, with the laptop as a secondary monitor, not sure of the resolution, but most likely similar to the above.

I generally have two browser windows open on the 24" monitor, side by side, each taking up half the monitor width. Will occasionally expand to the full screen width.

LexInVA
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
Lex, is that your monitor's resolution top end or do you ACTUALLY view websites at that resolution? If the latter, I suspect you are seeing a LOT of distorted websites!

Like most people, I generally view websites at their native resolution, and few if any are authored above 1280 x 1024. Most are still sitting pretty at 1024 x 768 because that looks palatable at the most common desktop, laptop, and tablet resolutions. Most of my browser viewing space, which is 1920 x 913 in a standard configuration is simply extraneous background layering from whatever the websites send me. I can certainly zoom in if I want to, and with minimal distortion at the appropriate level, but I simply choose not to. Just for fun, I wrote this post in a "zoomed" browser window and almost everything looks 100% perfect except for the banners and image stuff on the side that doesn't scale well because it wasn't scalable to begin with.

LarkspurCO
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
Browser statistics:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp

Sonesta
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Yes, LarkspurCO, I am familiar with the w3schools stats. I was more curious about our equine folks and whether they fit the norms (since they are not generally "normal" in any other way!)

Most sites are designed with a with of about 960 pixels to optimize for the 1024 x 768 resolutions.

But I was curious to see our COTH folks use older browsers/resolutions or more modern.

Kementari
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:16 PM
1366x768 (laptop). I tend to get extra "background" on either side of a site, but it doesn't bother me. Better that than the dreaded horizontal scroll bar! :eek: :lol: