PDA

View Full Version : Adding a can of soda pop to cake mix?

Mali
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
A friend told me to just pour in a can of soda to a boxed dry cake mix and bake according to directions! I've tried it several times, for both cake & cupcakes and I am amazed! So which is better: the can of soda or the oil/eggs mixture?

HelloAgain
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
Well with the can of soda you're adding an additional 1/4 cup of sugar. I believe originally this was a suggestion from weight watchers that called for DIET soda, thus added no calories. If you're adding regular soda um.... you're missing the point. Plus how can you eat cake so sweet? boxed cake is already insanely sweet.

IMHO, I'de rather have the fat & protein (oil & eggs) because it will make the cake more satisfying compared to being pure whipped sugar without it. Then again, dude you're eating CAKE. If you want to watch calories *eat a smaller piece of cake*.

tabula rashah
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Yuck! Cake mixes are already pretty gross- seriously, it's just as easy to bake a real cake. I definitely wouldn't want to put soda in it- at least use some real ingredients (the eggs, oil, etc).

supershorty628
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:50 PM
I've never heard of adding soda! What kind of soda - a clear one, I'm assuming?

I've made cake with mayonnaise before instead of using eggs and oil and it came out very moist. I was skeptical when I made it, but it was good!

Dry Clean Only
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
I realized after I had cracked the eggs and starting my brownies that I was out of veggie oil. I dumped in a container of lowfat raspberry yogurt and crossed my fingers. They came out awesome, took about 5 minutes less to cook and were more cake like but still yummy.

Next time I will try plain Greek yogurt and cut down to just 1 egg to keep the sugar and fat lower.

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:03 PM
I've never heard of adding soda! What kind of soda - a clear one, I'm assuming?

I've made cake with mayonnaise before instead of using eggs and oil and it came out very moist. I was skeptical when I made it, but it was good!

well, mayo is egg and oil...:)

Acertainsmile
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Recently I was at a Tupperware Party, they sell a plastic cooker and one of the recipes was cake mix with a can of soda. Pop it in the microwave and voila, cake! Although I'm not much of a baker, this sounded pretty darn easy!

rodawn
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Instead of pop, why not use carbonated water? Club soda? No sugar, plenty of carbonation to react with the incredients.

littleum
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
It works great! I used to experiment with all kinds of combinations. I think the best was red velvet with diet root bear, or yellow with diet ginger ale (sort of like a champagne flavor)

I think the eggs/oil is still the best, but soda is no slouch.

KathyR
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Adding a small box of Jello Instant Pudding will make cakes incredibly moist, also.

SarahandSam
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
Way better: a bottle of beer. My go-to quick recipe in the fall for parties is a pumpkin spice ale with a box of spice cake mix to make cupcakes, then I whip up some Bailey's cream cheese frosting.

Bells
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:13 PM
We do this when camping - makes it easy in a dutch oven over coals.