PDA

View Full Version : Kale chips, anyone? UPDATE: made em! Yum!

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
Has anyone else tried storebought kale chips? WOW--in 3 ways. Delicious! Expensive-seriously insanely expensive. And fairly high-calorie.

I found a recipe from the NY Times for a chili lime kale chip, and plan to try it today if time allows.

Has anyone else made their own?

ETA - Made them by spraying w/olive oil spray and sprinkling w/a mix of cayenne and Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime. 325 deg. for 15 min. worked for me

A bit too hot even for me, so will edit cayenne next time. Easy peasy and so good!

Long Spot
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
I haven't tried store bought, but I've recently been making my own.

I find they taste a little like pumpkin seeds, which I love.

Guilt free.

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
I tried them at a friend's house and she warned me they were pricey. Went to WholePaycheck and happily grabbed a few boxes but thew them back when I saw the price..$7.99 for a leedle container 5"x4". like, 2 oz?

How do you do yours? I've heard they burn easily. Do you spice em up?

supershorty628
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
I love kale chips! I make my own. I just tear up the kale, put it on a baking sheet, drizzle it with olive oil, and season it with salt & pepper. Sometimes I'll use cayenne pepper or lemon pepper to give it some extra flavor. I bake them at 350 F for 9-11 minutes and they come out great!

Long Spot
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
I just cut it into bite sized chunks (removing the giant rib down the middle) and lay them out on a baking sheet with parchment, give them a spray with olive oil or pam, sprinkle with a little garlic salt and bake @350 for 10-15.

They do burn quickly, so it's important to have them all close to the same size.

I haven't experimented with any other spices yet, but I was thinking about maybe mixing a little Cayanne pepper with the salt and trying that.

$7.99 a box? Are you kidding me? Uh, yeah. That's insane for something that costs $1.19 for the bundle or whatever it was for fresh.

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
And the bottom of my friend's box was all dust. Not really even crumbles. Ah, God bless capitalism!

ellebeaux
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
Hmmm. I have a bunch of kale in the frig. I think I'll try this.

CobJockey
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
Wow, I would never buy kale chips, they're way too easy to make and keep very well. A $1.99 bunch of kale is three meals' worth of chips for my husband and I (and we love them and eat a lot of them!). I could never feed my kale chip addiction at $7.99 a bag! 6 minutes in the oven at 325, tossed with the fat of your choice (we use olive oil, coconut oil or lard) and the spice mixture of your choice, and you're done. They do burn easily, but it's easy to tell when they're about to turn, just don't leave the oven.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:20 PM
I tried this "recipe" : http://family.go.com/blog/catherinewman/kale-chips-989169/

As others have pointed out, it's not rocket science. We didn't love them - and they are a bit of work to make. I think it's all in how much you love them... if you love them, it's not so very much work. If they are just okay, it's a ton of work. ;)

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
We make our own. Way overpriced if you're buying them at the store and soooooo easy.

Here's my recipe (http://smithratliff.com/2011/10/12/portobello-burgers/):

We forewent the fries this dinner in lieu of a healthier option—kale chips. We first made kale chips last year and have since become addicted to their salty bite and bitter green flavor.

After tearing the kale into pieces (removing any thick ribs first), we put them on a baking sheet with salt, red pepper and a bit of olive oil and roasted them at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes. The result: earth-shatteringly crunchy, emerald green chips. Every bit as decadent as your typical salted crisps.

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just made em and they're great! See post 1.

ellebeaux
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Me, too! They're YUMMY. Just sprayed the pan with olive oil, sprinkled soy sauce and sesame oil on top and baked at 350 for 10 or so minutes. Perfect!

thanks for this, I'm going to share it with all my friends :)