PDA

View Full Version : Equine Massage Certification

double2
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm interested in finding out how to go about getting certified for Equine Massage. I am located in the Southern part of NC close to the SC border. I am curious to know if you can do this online or it's best to go to an onsite class. Are one day informational clinics offered anywhere?

MassageLady
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
The only way I would say it's ok to do this as a online is if you are already licensed for people-and know how to feel for spasms, knots, etc.
Doubt there are any 1 day clinics in your area-
I have a 1 day hands on class-but most likely you are wanting certification, which takes longer to do.
You can check my blog and contact me directly if you're interested-be happy to answer any questions for you.
My class also includes Rehab/Biomechanics/Basics of Saddle fit/Ground and Under Saddle Therapies, etc.
And the most affordable of any school.
My next avail class is May 24-27
www.midwestnha.wordpress.com

hollyhorse2000
Mar. 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
Ask yourself -- would you let someone massage your horse if they've learned how to online???

I went to Equissage many years ago. I thought it gave a good basic foundation, although nowhere near enough IMHO to run out and start doing it for a living. I think most good massage therapists have training in a variety of disciplines, including reiki and cranio-sacral, not just massage. A good massage therapist is worth their weight in gold, but like all professionals, acquiring the knowledge and experience is not a quick or easy thing.

coloredhorse
Mar. 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
As the above posters have already stated, massage is a kinesthetic skill ... to learn it, you really have to spend time in person with skilled and experienced teachers to develop your touch skills. Customers also want a therapist with a solid grounding in anatomy/physiology and a broad array of skills on which to draw.

Using myself as an example, I did complete a short course (1 week), but did not start practicing professionally until I had completed a longer course (comparable to what human massage therapists must go through before sitting their state boards). In between, I also received training in Reiki and acupressure. Like most competent therapists (and in keeping with voluntary industry standards), I pursue annual CE, including areas such as mesotherapy, advanced myofascial and trigger point therapy, cranio-sacral, structural integration, etc. There is no way around putting in the time, effort and money if you want to be seen as a competent pro.

I am in SC, and would be happy to talk with you about the local school that I attended (and now occasionally help teach at), and other potential venues. If there is sufficient interest, we do offer 1- and 2-day owners classes. These DO NOT qualify you to work professionally, but are great for boosting your understanding and giving you a chance to see how much there is to learn and whether this is something you really want to pursue. We also sometimes travel to do these clinics, if there is enough interest. PM me if interested.

MassageLady
Mar. 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
I went to Equissage many years ago. I thought it gave a good basic foundation, although nowhere near enough IMHO to run out and start doing it for a living
I couldn't agree more! That is why I went out on calls with a top Equine chiro for years, learning from him-finding spasms, learning how to feel if the vertebra on the neck is out, shoulders, back, hips...etc. ALL of this is so important to know to do this correctly.
Then of course there are the 'outside influences'...bad saddle fit, bad trim, ulcers, etc. etc. that can be the cause-and of course-the rider!! lol
Learning how to rule all of these out-or to find out the cause is also needed to do this correctly and effectively-if you don't know what CAUSED it to begin with, you'll never get rid of it.
Anyone can go thru the motions of massage, and do a good job-that is what just takes time and getting your hands on as many as you can to feel the different muscles-but knowing what you're feeling is another class altogether.

Wholehearted
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'd like to add that it also depends on the state. Some states you have to be a licensed massage therapist on humans before you can add the extra animal part as well, at least to be fully legal.

I looked into this for a bit partly because I was curious and I really didn't see anything that was fully online that didn't also have some sort of required practical as well (thank goodness, right?).

MassageLady
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:32 AM
You can find state laws on the IAAMB website.
Many states are trying to pass laws that are inhibiting CESMT's from doing their job-rarely is it enforced. They have bigger fish to fry than us.

RedHeadAlive
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:00 AM
I'm interested in finding out how to go about getting certified for Equine Massage. I am located in the Southern part of NC close to the SC border. I am curious to know if you can do this online or it's best to go to an onsite class. Are one day informational clinics offered anywhere?

I would NOT recommend Equissage if you want a complete training program. They advertise 50 hours of training and I rec'd only 23 hrs. They have a good program IF they choose to fully educate their stuidents in it and not push them out the door w/o the full allotment of educational hours they say you are certified for.

RedHeadAlive
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:04 AM
:(

You can go thru Equissage to get on on line training program, as the "in person" educational experience is a sham in my opinion. They do not educate you for the amount of hours that the certificate they give you indicates and I left feeling like the odd man out because I actually really wanted to learn equine massage and develop my skills so that when I left, I would be completely confident. I was not but I had to fake it because all the other students wanted an "easy way out".

DarkStarrx
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:59 AM
Is there some sort of website or network for equine massage/chiro. I swear finding a reputable one is harder than than the holy grail search...

NCSaddleFitter
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:08 AM
If you are so close to SC, you might try Mike Scott's classes. I think they offer intro and certification courses. His website is www.saddleguy.com and I'm sure there's a link to the school on there somewhere...

yellowbritches
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:04 AM
Equissage is a total crap shoot. My massage therapist is TERRIFIC and a graduate (quite a few years ago, now), but I have run across many, many, MANY graduates who I wouldn't let brush my horse, let alone work on his muscles and keep him feeling good. Drives me up the wall, actually, to see "certified" MTs who have next to no horse handling skills, let alone any true idea of how a horse works, what their different jobs entail, muscularly, and that if they are sore a massage DOES hurt to some degree, so they are going to wiggle!!! (seriously. I've had my fair share of sports massages, and it takes everything in me to not punch the guy occasionally!!!!).

I think if you have a very good working history with horses (like my MT who has an extensive career riding and training and working with race horses and show horses...BEFORE she started massaging), Equissage may be good (if you do the hands on program...NOT online).

I was going to recommend Mike Scott's program, as well. I have off and on considered being an MT as a career path, and I would love to do this program. It is VERY intensive and a big commitment, but you'll have a great education. Here's the direct link to the Massage info http://www.equinemmt.com/home.php

yellowbritches
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
PS- I just looked at his class list and he DOES offer Intro classes that are 1 or 2 days. http://www.equinemmt.com/intro.php