PDA

View Full Version : Short sleeved show shirt?

Mukluk
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:36 AM
I suppose could be cooler under a hunt coat? Do you wear one? If it is so hot that jackets are excused do you wear your short sleeved shirt, switch to a long sleeved shirt, or wear your coat? Thanks in advance.

Indy
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
I personally hate short sleeved show shirts, no matter how hot it is. Long sleeved shirts, especially in some of the new Cool-max type materials, really aren't all that much warmer than a short sleeved shirt. Plus without long sleeves, you loose the nice look of a bit of cuff peeking out below your jacket. If jackets are waved, short sleeved shirts look really tacky. Stick with a nice long sleeved shirt and just roll up the sleeves when you aren't riding.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:28 AM
Short sleeve shirts are kind of considered a fashion no-no in the rated hunter rings. It just is rarely seen. I personally have worn a s/s for a small schooling show under a coat, when it was incredibly hot (but would not do it for any rated show). If jackets were waived I would put on a long sleeve to show. Best wishes for your show season :)

SkipChange
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
As others have said...Long sleeve is better. Keeps your jacket from sticking to you so you get a little more ventilation under there. Plus, when you take your jacket off the long sleeves keep the sun off your skin which can keep you cooler. Go for cool-max material or something light and thin. If you really want a short sleeve shirt go for it, but I think you'll find they look a bit awkward without a jacket and that your long sleeves are more comfortable.

Electrikk
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Also, at least in my jacket, the lining just traps any heat and sweat. With a long sleeve coolmax shirt, I don't feel as if I'm wearing a portable oven. Jackets are never comfortable for summer shows, but the long sleeved shirts make them a bit more bearable for me :)

Angelico
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
It's under your jacket.... So the "fashion no-no" is a bit silly, but I too prefer long sleeves just because they keep me from getting icky sweat all in my jacket, and when I'm not showing or in the jumper ring, it keeps a layer between my skin and the sun, plus it looks pretty sharp.

Celeritas
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hijack, but where are these horse shows where jackets are waived? I've been showing in Zone 1 for years and years and have NEVER been to a show (from local/schooling to AA rated) where jackets are waived, even in 90+ degree heat plus humidity. Are we just sticks in the mud up here?

Credosporthorses
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
Out here is zone 9 we have had coats called a few times at Bend. Get to the 100s some days. I personally always wear a coat. You're in the ring for 2 min, warm up with out it and then suck it up for your round.

As to the short sleeve shirt, please don't! They just look tacky.

dreaminOTTB
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
I do a local schooling series (very much a schooling series and not close to rated) and coats are almost always waived for the July-August and sometimes September and October shows, depending on what the weather is doing. Last year it was crazy hot (90s and 100s) and so I think there were only coats NOT waived during the April and May shows (one show a month).

When jackets are waived, you'll see a variety - mostly short-sleeved show shirts as well as some polos. As long as it has a collar, the judge is okay with it. We rarely see long sleeves once coats are waived.

But again, VERY much a low-level schooling series.

Herbie19
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry to hijack, but where are these horse shows where jackets are waived? I've been showing in Zone 1 for years and years and have NEVER been to a show (from local/schooling to AA rated) where jackets are waived, even in 90+ degree heat plus humidity. Are we just sticks in the mud up here?

Down here in Zone 3 jackets are waived on occasion when it's near 100, but you're not going to see anyone in a short sleeved show shirt (polos in the jumpers yes, but never in the hunters).

In regard to the OP, just say no! :)

Lucassb
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
I also agree that short sleeve shirts are a no-no, and anyway probably feel hotter under a coat - sweaty arms+ jackets are a bad combination!

I do really like the coolmax shirts and find that they are much more comfortable in warm weather than bare arms, and if you are really affected by the heat (as I am) then a jacket in a more technical fabric may also be a wise investment. I have the Pikeur model which I snapped up from Amira when the exchange rate was favorable and I love it (plus, it's washable.) I have also seen an Equine Couture jacket that was some sort of special technical fabric also, and it had a mesh lining... very comfortable in hot weather, and it was inexpensive.

Giddy-up
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sorry to hijack, but where are these horse shows where jackets are waived?

Chicago in late July, early August has waived coats. Also in June if the heat/humidity hits early.

Sometimes they even know the day before jackets will be waived by say 10am (if it's been like that all week) & encourage people to bring a polo shirt to show in.

PaintedHunter
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
I do a local schooling series (very much a schooling series and not close to rated) and coats are almost always waived for the July-August and sometimes September and October shows, depending on what the weather is doing. Last year it was crazy hot (90s and 100s) and so I think there were only coats NOT waived during the April and May shows (one show a month).

When jackets are waived, you'll see a variety - mostly short-sleeved show shirts as well as some polos. As long as it has a collar, the judge is okay with it. We rarely see long sleeves once coats are waived.

But again, VERY much a low-level schooling series.

Same here! And in last year's heat, a few of the ladies and kids who opted to wear their jackets actually got heat stroke and were vomiting everywhere. If jackets are waived, I'm definitely taking mine off!

ElisLove
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
I also have never been to a show where jackets have been waived and that's in 30+ degree celcius heat. Well MAYBE once if I really rack my memory I think maybe I heard of it at ONE show in my 13 years of showing (90% A rated shows)

TrakeGirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
We just starting selling these in our tack store (mostly for the 4H crowd):

http://dickieduds.com/

You could just rock one of those and a sports bra. :)

overthemoon
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
It's under your jacket.... So the "fashion no-no" is a bit silly, but I too prefer long sleeves just because they keep me from getting icky sweat all in my jacket, and when I'm not showing or in the jumper ring, it keeps a layer between my skin and the sun, plus it looks pretty sharp.

Not really. Short sleeved shirt = no shirt cuff peeking out from your jacket = less classic look = potential fashion no no to many.

I really dislike short sleeved shirts. I am totally in agreement that a shorter sleeve is likely dreadful under a coat (just think - they put silk linings in gloves/etc to trap in heat), but I'll admit that I don't wear them for purely aesthetic reasons. I much prefer the look of long sleeved shirt.

Rel6
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:03 PM

Wow I feel bad for you guys this past summer! There was some brutal heat. I was at HITs Saugerties the weekend it was 110 degrees and jackets were waived.

I've been to a lot of C shows in zone 2 where they have been waived as well.

kmwines01
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:26 AM
I also like the look of a little cuff peeking out of the jacket. Our local shows im Jacksonville start doing polo/waived jackets around april/may. For 4-H though they never did. I almost passed out in a halter class that went for an hour in Tampa in July. Humidity and 90+ temps do not go well with standing outside in the sun for an hour in a jacket. I also can't imagine having the lining of my jacket sticking to me. Yuck.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:32 AM
Short sleeved show shirt: Just Say No.

Seriously, though, wearing a long sleeved coolmax shirt is a heck of a lot more comfortable that having the lining of your jacket stick to your arms and jam you up in your coat when you're trying to release over a fence.

I can't even try on coats for sizing without wearing a long sleeved shirt.

fourmares
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:41 AM
I've been to shows were jackets have not only been waived they have been forbidden.

I prefer long sleeved shirts. Back in the 80's plenty of people wore sleevless ratcatchers, but if coats are waived the rules state that you must wear a shirt with sleeves, so a short sleeved ratcather is allowed.

Simbalism
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:45 AM
I hate short sleeve shirts under a coat. The nylon lining sticks to your arms and it is hard to even get your coat off.