PDA

View Full Version : Need Fundraising help- quickly!! Good cause, advice needed.

RumoursFollow
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hey yall-

OK, so I'm training to do an olympic distance triathlon currently. I will swim, bike, and then run around 30 miles (total for the 3 events) in about 3-3.5 hours.

I'm doing this event through an organization called Team In Training. Its part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and the point of the organizations effort is to raise money to fund research, and subsequently, cures, for blood cancers. (leukemia is an example)

I am recieving professional training from the Team In Training staff in exchange for my fundraising efforts. My event is on June 9th in Elkhart Lake, WI. I am racing in honor of a family friend's son, who was diagnosed with Leukemia in January. His father saved my life when I was 5 years old, and this diagnosis has been heartbreaking for all of us.

I'm going on and on, but what I'm really posting about is that I need some suggestions to raise this money. In order to stay "on the team," I will need to raise $3,800. I have to raise half of it by the end of April, and the remainder by race day.

So far I have emailed basically everyone I know, posted the link consistently on my facebook wall, and sent some snail mail letters to those that I cannot otherwise reach. I have not raised much money at this point and am starting to worry, even though at this point I have lots of time before the actual race.

Has anyone done something like this before? I need some fundraising suggestions for ideas of events to hold or other ways to raise money. I dont want to harass people who may not be able to give anything, and know that in this economy, times are hard and extra funds are low.

So if you've done any fundraising of this kind, would you mind giving me a few pointers? I would appreciate it!

Here is a link to my Team In Training Page: http://pages.teamintraining.org/in/weltri12/sarahaynes (and I will gladly accept critiques of it as well, if you think it needs help.)

Thanks yall!!

Dad Said Not To
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
My mom did a marathon about 10 years ago for Team in Training. IIRC, she raised a large portion of her funds by getting a wine store and a cigar shop to hold a wine and cigar cruise on a local lake and donate half the proceeds to her cause. Get local businesses involved. Nurseries and garden centers do a lot of business this time of year-- maybe one (or more!) in your area would be willing to donate a portion of their sales for a day or a weekend, especially if you do some legwork to get people there for your "sale event." If you have a small local newspaper, send them an email letting them know that you're doing this triathlon and why-- they may want to do a story about it. Good luck!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Approaching local businesses has been a little intimidating to me, but I think its about time I just do it!

nevertoolate
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:45 PM
My daughter raised almost $1800 for Hurricane Katrina victims by organizing a pony ride fundraiser. She coordinated with the owner of the barn where she rode to be able to use the school horses, had her friends volunteer to help (they were also able to use these hours for school, as they had to have a certain number of community service hours). They advertised it in the newspaper and on the radio. It was a $5 donation per ride, but many folks donated extra. Good luck on your fundraising efforts!

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
'How to Write for a good cause'

I am reading it at the moment.

Ask all the people you know will give first, than the ones you are not sure about.
Then you ask those you know for sure won't, but hey, you could be wrong, right.

Ask the local businesses.

Ask local churches. My MIL's sunday school class is notorious for coughing up large amounts on short notice when the need arises.

you have a good cause, put your best foot forward, be armed with a picture of the young fellow and your best smile.

The worst that can happen is that they no.

You could also organize a bake sale...our local Lowe's store had one the other weekend. I am telling you, there was some combined baking talent at work!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
One bump before OT day closes. Anyone else?