PDA

View Full Version : Ways to end period permanently?

AlternatingName
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
If anyone has any input on endometrial ablation (Novasure/other procedure), or any other recommended methods for preventing or ending periods all together I would appreciate it.

I'm 38, have absolutely no interest in having children, and really don't see the point of dealing with all of the aggravation and associated problems of having a period for another 5-10 years.

I've been on birth control for years, but have had problems finding one that will work well. The one I'm on currently isn't strong enough as I'm having my period early every month. I get bad melasma on any pill I try, so the lower the dosage of hormones the better, but then the pill doesn't control my period.

If I'm off the pill, then I get bad cramps, upset stomach and the joy of having a period earlier and earlier each month. And the PMS is wonderful as well.

Ugh. I'd like to go in to my annual visit next month with some ideas so I can discuss them with the doctor, so please let me know your experiences/suggestions.

When I went in last year, the Gyn recommended an IUD, but it will cost over $850. :eek: Not something I can afford, especially without knowing if it will work for me or not.

IneedanOTdayAlter
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Not sure on the costs of ablation, but I have several friends who have had it done, and they are thrilled with the results.

Punkie
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:27 AM
I was going to recommend the Mirena IUD, but then I saw the last paragraph of your post :-/ Is it that your insurance won't cover it? You might be able to fight that one. If it's a lack of health insurance, the Novalsure is far more expensive as I understand.

I'm on year 5 of my first Mirena and I have had exactly one day of "spotting" (I don't even know if it could qualify as spotting there was so little there) in those 5 years. I will have a new one put in the same day that this one is removed. I was diagnosed with stage III endometriosis when I was just 13 years old and have been on some form of birth control ever since to manage the debilitating symptoms of the disease. Unfortunately, I had a stroke at 19 (completely unrelated to the BC), so no more estrogen for me. Eventually the Mirena became widely available and I've never looked back. I've not experienced a single side effect and the only time I've had a complaint was when I was in a new relationship with a man who was...erm, blessed, shall we say? And caused a lot of shifting. I got used to it pretty quickly and have not had an issue since, but it was not exactly pleasant on the outset.

If you can swing it or get your doctor to write a letter to your insurance company, this might be your best bet.

Good luck!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
What pill are you on? I'm on Loestrin24Fe and haven't had a true period in the six years I've been on it. My ob/gyn said that's typically (and totally fine) for this pill.

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
I had Novasure in Jan. 2009, since I did it as an office-visit procedure (that HURT a LOT) it was only the $40 co-pay, but there were copays for all the screenings, ultrasound to check for polyps, something to check for uterine cancer, etc.

Yet insurance wouldn't cover the BC to attempt to control the bleeding...go USA and women's health care! NOT

Anyway, it doesn't work for everyone, but once everything healed, and there was a solid 5-6 weeks of needing some clothing protection, I haven't had a single period. So, I'm over 3 years now.

It is convenient, but you stil are ovulating and have all the same hormonal issues (or not) that you had before, you just don't have the period.

There are a few bulletin boards that are devoted to women's health that provide a lot more information than COTH, even on OT day.

I recommend those, since the COTH membership often gets squeamish on these topics.

AlternatingName
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. An IUD is not covered by my insurance at all. I checked with Planned Parenthood last year as well when I found out how much the quote was from my regular GYN, and PP was over $500, if I remember correctly.

I definitely can't afford even the cheaper PP price, especially since I have no idea if it would work for me without any issues.

I've been told that the cramping would be pretty much non-existent after an endometrial ablation, since there will be little to be expelled.

I willing to deal with the PMS and hormone fluctuations if I can at least get rid of the melasma and cramps!

I did try the Loestrin24fe last year, and liked it a lot, but it of course is not covered by my insurance. I got the discount card from the manufacturer, so it was $25/month, but when the card expired it was $58/month!! My melasma was still really bad on it as well, although my periods were pretty non-existent in a very good way. I'm on the generic version of the regular Loestrin now, and it's not working well at all.

It does sound like the Novasure will be the cost of the office visit, but of course I will be checking with the insurance company to see what else I may have to pay for in addition to the procedure.

Regardless
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:54 AM
I had Novasure in Jan. 2009, since I did it as an office-visit procedure (that HURT a LOT) it was only the $40 co-pay, but there were copays for all the screenings, ultrasound to check for polyps, something to check for uterine cancer, etc.

Yet insurance wouldn't cover the BC to attempt to control the bleeding...go USA and women's health care! NOT

Anyway, it doesn't work for everyone, but once everything healed, and there was a solid 5-6 weeks of needing some clothing protection, I haven't had a single period. So, I'm over 3 years now.

It is convenient, but you stil are ovulating and have all the same hormonal issues (or not) that you had before, you just don't have the period.

There are a few bulletin boards that are devoted to women's health that provide a lot more information than COTH, even on OT day.

I recommend those, since the COTH membership often gets squeamish on these topics.

I'm 29 but have no plans to have children (husband got vasectomy last year) and was hoping to ask about Novasure next month at my annual. You say it hurt? :eek: I am a big, fat, no-pain-tolerance-baby and this scares me! Is the pain normal?? (Not trying to hijack your thread OP!)

Cammie
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
Trust me, it's worth the hijack to ask THAT important question!!!

I read that they do a local anesthetic beforehand, so by all means if that wasn't enough let us all know! :uhoh:

I'd love to hear more info on the ablation procedure as well, since I've been seeing those Novasure ads all over the TV. My sister-in-law is an OB/GYN so I'll ask her what she thinks about it, but the more first-hand experiences to hear about the better.

Regardless
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:02 AM
Trust me, it's worth the hijack to ask THAT important question!!!

I read that they do a local anesthetic beforehand, so by all means if that wasn't enough let us all know! :uhoh:

Thank you.

Where's the xanax?!?!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:05 AM
I did try the Loestrin24fe last year, and liked it a lot, but it of course is not covered by my insurance. I got the discount card from the manufacturer, so it was $25/month, but when the card expired it was $58/month!! My melasma was still really bad on it as well, although my periods were pretty non-existent in a very good way. I'm on the generic version of the regular Loestrin now, and it's not working well at all.

Once the card expires, you can call the manufacturer and they'll send you another card. (Or at least they did for me.)

(Although right now, I haven't met my insurance deductible for the year yet so I'm paying $48 per month for it even with the card. Stupid insurance.)

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:43 AM
I had an ablation done about two years ago as out-patient surgery in my local hospital. My doctor put me under, so there wasn't any pain. I had cramping at the end of the procedure and for that evening, but I was 95% by the following day and just fine after.

My insurance covered it because I had been having frequent, long periods, lots of cramping and had been to my gyno for it for it a couple of times. She told them it was necessary, and they paid for it.

I've been happy with my results. My doctor told me she had an 85% success rate, and I fell into the success category. No periods, I do still have 'symptoms' of cycling, in terms of occasional minor cramping, bloating, but the long, heavy periods are gone. I must have been about 44 or 45 when I had it done - with two children on the ground, my child bearing years were clearly behind me.

Friesianfan
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:06 AM
I had an ablation (done under a local) 6 years ago and I wish I'd done it sooner. Horrible cramping and bleeding gone! Can't recommend this procedure highly enough!

bumknees
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
I have a friend who had it done about 6 or 7yrs ago..give or take.. She is now haveing everything removed.. Her periods came back with a VEANGANCE. cramping, heavier, bloating etc the whole nine yards. she is now getting overies, uterus removed...

I chose not to have that particular procedure done and just went with the transvagional hysterctomy. that is as soon as I could convince a dr that yes it is really what I wanted no I really do not want any more children, NO it really is in my best intrest that I do not have any more yadda yadd.. normal recovery time 6 days... I however had some intesting complications jst because my particular body and its own little problems...
Now it took me 18 years to convince a dr to give me my hyster. Why BECAUSE I have govt. run insurance yeah good ol military dept insurance.. where they expect you while your with in child bearing years to actually bear those children... to a certian point of course...diffrent topic diffrent thread.. not going to hyjack this one..
I would sugest if you realy want to never have another preiod, never have the risk, etc.. have a trasvaginal hyster. If you dont want to go into full menapause leave one or two of your overies. I chose to have both removed becaue I become very female doggish during ovulation just ask any hman or dog for that matter who happens to have been around me at that time of month... And they suspect i had actually been trying to go into menapase for nearly 26yrs to begin with but body never got the hang of it.. but I tell ya what the hormones Im on low does but for the first time in almost 26 yrs I am no longer drenching my sheets at night with sweat.. YEA!!!!! for that alone for me it was worth it.. hated having to get up in middle of night 2 or 3 times in middle of night to change sheets then wash them..

but that is what I would do..

horsekpr
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
I was on Depo shots for 10 years ,and it stopped my period completely.yay! I have since come off it as I am older ,and have no need for it,except to stop the stupid periods,and it has come back. but a shot every 3 months versus a period every month,heck yes!

carolprudm
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. An IUD is not covered by my insurance at all. I checked with Planned Parenthood last year as well when I found out how much the quote was from my regular GYN, and PP was over $500, if I remember correctly.

I definitely can't afford even the cheaper PP price, especially since I have no idea if it would work for me without any issues.

I've been told that the cramping would be pretty much non-existent after an endometrial ablation, since there will be little to be expelled.

I willing to deal with the PMS and hormone fluctuations if I can at least get rid of the melasma and cramps!

It does sound like the Novasure will be the cost of the office visit, but of course I will be checking with the insurance company to see what else I may have to pay for in addition to the procedure.
That's a lot to gamble. My younger daughter just had her Merina removed after 2 months of problems with it, continual heavy bleeding and major headaches.

Arcadien
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
I stopped my heavy, painful periods completely with Depo Provera shots. Can't do the Pill as I have high blood pressure.

Life on Depo is wonderful, BUT I am concerned about reports of early osteoporosis. Not good to ride horses and have weak bones! For now I'm taking calcium & doing a lot of weight bearing exercise, but next year I intend to convince my gyn to convince my insurance I need bone scan testing. I'm not doing Depo for bc, purely for my health (yeah, go american health care covg for women :rolleyes: I get read every day what a slut I am, needing BC)

If the bone scan looks good I'll stay on Depo but if my bones are losing strength I'll have to look at other options. Either the ablation or the hysterectomy. Hoping I can stay on the Depo until menopause hits - shouldn't be longer than 5-10 yrs for me.

I give the shot to myself in the shoulder - people look at the big needle turn pale and ask how can I? I laugh and remember the days of agony I went through before Depo - one needle every 3 mos is NOTHING.

bits619
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
I think the mirena or other iud is well worth the cost if you look at it across a length of time. There is the risk that it won't completely stop your periods, but if it does... The cost difference would be well worth it imo.
Say you keep the mirena for 5 years. That's 60 months. At a cost of $850 initially is a monthly equivalent of $14.17 at 5 years. That's really hard to beat! To me, that's worth the risk that it may not be the method for me and i may not use it. Worth trying out!
I'm also surprised your insurance won't cover it if there are medical reasons why you may need it!

bits619
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
@Arcadian, I'm impressed with the self administration! I'm on depo and have considered making MrB give me the injection (he has to give himself shots often) and i do already pick up the meds from the pharmacy on my own... But my doctors office is strange and id have issues if I ever wanted them to administer it another time. Their policy is pretty strict- you are due for the next shot after 12weeks. If you go longer than that week overdue, you have to come in for a pregnancy test, then abstain for two weeks, come back in for a second preg test and then you can get the shot.
That being said, i was unable to make an appointment with them right before leaving town in Jan, so I went to my local clinic instead. They just gave me a pregnancy test and then administered the shot. I will have to send those records back to my gyno office if I'd like to go there next time.

That was my first shot of the third year on the depo, and I'm also concerned about bone density, too. I may have to look into switching it up with a different method, but I'm REALLY hoping I can stay on it for a bit longer, it's been the best method i've tried.

How long have you been on it? Will a bone scan show the necessary information, or would you have to have had one years ago when you started the depo to compare the rate of loss?

Debbie
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
I had the Mirena for 5 years with okay results, but some complications that made me not want to go that route again. So I had an ablation. Mine was done as out patient surgery so no pain except cramping for a day or so after.

Unfortunately my ablation was not a success and within 2 years I was back to having periods and the cramps were way worse than ever before. I had a laproscopic hysterectomy in November (removed uterus, left ovaries) and life is very, very good. The hysterectomy required an overnight stay at the hospital and about ten days for discomfort. I was cleared to ride after a month and haven't looked back. I wish I had done it years ago.

rodawn
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Endometrial ablation will not stop the menstruating aspect of your cycle forever.

There are 2 points to your problem: One you don't like the inconvenience and mess of monthly bleeding along with the cramping, and the second is your PMS which is only to do with your ovaries.

Seriously, for a healthy woman, endometrial ablation is far more distruptive than 4-7 days of bleeding. Ablation is usually done for women who have massive hemorrhaging with each cycle to the point where it causes them to be very anemic, some requiring blood transfusions, or where the women suffers bleeding for weeks and weeks at a time thus their bleeding is literally turning their lives upside down already and causing massive disruption.

Endometrial ablation burns the lining of your uterus, but may or may not be entirely successful burning off the entire thing. You will be required to take a drug beforehand, Lupron, which will really mess up your hormones for a while, but it causes the lining of your uterus to not grow very much, therefore, less for the surgeon has less to burn off. There is little to no bleeding the first month after the ablation, but since the uterus is a highly vascular structure, it tends to heal rather readily. After 3 or 4 months, some menstruation volume will resume and as one other lady mentioned within a couple years you're right back to square one. The procedure itself is very disruptive to the patient's life until healed. No horseback riding, no lifting of objects, no extreme physical exercise, no intercourse for several weeks, no insertion of tampons and the like for many weeks.

The only way to stop menstruating permanently is a hysterectomy which removes your uterus, but leaves your ovaries behind. VERY few doctors are willing to give a perfectly healthy woman an ablation, let alone a hysterectomy, and especially not a hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy (ovary removal).

Neither a hysterectomy or endometrial ablation will solve the PMS. Your ovaries are still functioning as normal and therefore you will still get the hormonal fluctuations that come with that. As you move into your 40's the hormones will become more erratic

To me, it sounds like your PMS and the menstrual cramps bother you more than anything else. This is a hormone problem and should be dealt with by an endocrinologist-gynecologist.

Our gynecologists would recommend to you the Mirena IUD as it contains a slow-release medication in the device. Not only is it an effective birth control device, but it usually helps with the hormonal problems, and for a lot of women decreases amount of flow. Note that for the first 1-2 months some women experience increased cramping, but this usually settles. While it's expensive up-front, the cost of monthly low-estrogen release pills add up to about the same cost over the course of a year, so it's about 6 of one and half-dozen of the other.

You can also get your doctor to inject you with progesterone-only. It lasts 2-3 months depending on the type of injection. Some women experience pregnancy symptoms on this at first with decreased to stopped menstruation and usually removes cramping issues. Some develop excessive yeast problems on this, but this can be controlled with taking daily high-dose acidophilus capsules, 2-3 a day (yogurt alone is not a high enough dose of acidophilus). Additionally, when some women have stopped getting the injections, and even while their cycles normalize again, the cramping continues to be absent - usually permanently. This has been a good choice for physicians with teenage girls who suffer severe cramping as it tends to cure that aspect of the problem, not 100% but a goodly majority of cases.

I doubt very much your gynecologist will recommend surgery of any type for you, unless there is more to your story than you've been able to state on a public forum.

AlternatingName
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Thank you again for all the advice and relating your experiences. It's given me some good pros and cons to consider and discuss with my doctor next time I go in.

I will look into an IUD again, and see if the costs are any more realistic. It would be an equivalent financial outlay to what I'm spending now on BC for a five year time frame, but that is only if it works well with my body for that length of time. My biggest fear is that I won't have a good experience with it and remove it early after I've spent $500-$850 on it!

I definitely need to look into the ablation more to see what the success rates really are and how many women "revert" back to previous problems.

The wish list would be zero to light period, minimal cramps, on a set monthly schedule, with no melasma or weight gain. And of course, that I can afford! The Loestrin24fe is probably the best pill I've tried, but the melasma was as bad as ever and it's extremely expensive even with the discount. I'm switching to a different insurance plan in a few months, and will then have a deductible to meet so it will be even more expensive.

Aargh!

carolprudm
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
My biggest fear is that I won't have a good experience with it and remove it early after I've spent $500-$850 on it!

I definitely need to look into the ablation more to see what the success rates really are and how many women "revert" back to previous problems.

Yup, it was 2 months of misery for my daughter. I didn't ask how much it cost.

Do you know why your periods are heavy etc.? Mine were caused by adeomyosis and would not have been stopped with an ablation, the only fix was a hysterectomy.

Belair
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mirena was miserable for the first couple months, but it's been 3 years now and I absolutely love it. You just have to survive those first months of cramping, weird mood swings etc.

tarynls
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:58 PM
That was my first shot of the third year on the depo, and I'm also concerned about bone density, too. I may have to look into switching it up with a different method, but I'm REALLY hoping I can stay on it for a bit longer, it's been the best method i've tried.

How long have you been on it? Will a bone scan show the necessary information, or would you have to have had one years ago when you started the depo to compare the rate of loss?

I've been on Depo for eight years now. Lucked into a DEXA scan [bone density] 2 years ago (I worked for an orthopedist; office just got the machine and offered free tests to the employees to help train the techs). No loss in bone density; in fact, my bones are more dense than an average female of my age/height/weight.

Cashela
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:25 PM
I just got the Mirena. Previously I hadn't had my period in 2 years and my old doctor wasn't concerned (I have poly cystic ovary syndrome), I'm 36. I got a new dr this year and she wasn't happy that I was taking BC pills to keep the lining of my uterus thin and suggested the Mirena. From what I read it was supposed to be like a cramp when it is inserted, that is a crock. That sucker hurts but the pain goes away fast. I did feel crampy for a couple of days and I have been freaking spotting since having it put it. I liked it a lot better when I wasn't getting my period!!!

Anyway, my sister got one too and she is happy with hers. It has ended her long drawn out periods.

Epona142
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
My Mirena was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE for the first couple of months, then tapered off. My period was very light and came randomly, whenever it pleased, but there was no more cramping, so that was fine with me.

Until this year.

My cramping has come back with a vengeance and again, it's totally random. Very unpleasant.

Mine is due to come out next year - for the third time, I will beg for sterilization. I'll deal with periods/cramps/whatever just so I can feel safe against getting pregnant.

Arcadien
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
@Arcadian, I'm impressed with the self administration! I'm on depo and have considered making MrB give me the injection (he has to give himself shots often) and i do already pick up the meds from the pharmacy on my own...

Can you give a shot to your horse? I couldn't have done it until I learned how from my vet. It feels a bit like piercing an oranges skin, to me - a bit of resistance through the peel, then easy. The next strategy I use is to look in the mirror as I do it - that way I'm doing it to "some other woman" LOL. Sometimes I don't even feel it, I've become better than the nurses!

I was on Depo 10 years ago then had to stop as money was tight and my insurance was not covering the $60 for the shot at the time (only needed it for my health at the time as well - accepted that they would cover Viagra happily but not my BC at the time, thinking it was just the way things were - now that lately I've been declared a slut by the moral majority for needing BC - NOT ACCEPTING the double standard ANYMORE!!!!)

(Cough) I digress. When I went back to work full time I just couldnt' bear the 4 days of debilitating agony, and thank heavens it was covered by ins by then. Been on it 1.5 years this time - was informed it was after 2 yrs that bone loss was possible. I started out with very strong bones, but my mom did have early osteoporosis so don't want to take chances - I'm demanding that scan after 2 years!

OP, hope you get educated on all your options, decide which is best for you, and then demand to be taken care of!!!

Dazednconfused
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
Slightly relatedly - has anyone here tried Paragard?

I am really not into the idea of the crazy hormonal types of BC. The mood swings, changing of periods, possible weight gain, having to try all the different ones to find the "right" one...none of that appeals to me.

But I hear that doctors aren't always very willing to use IUDs on people who haven't had kids. And it ain't cheap...

Any input?

bits619
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:32 PM
Can you give a shot to your horse? I couldn't have done it until I learned how from my vet. It feels a bit like piercing an oranges skin, to me - a bit of resistance through the peel, then easy. The next strategy I use is to look in the mirror as I do it - that way I'm doing it to "some other woman" LOL. Sometimes I don't even feel it, I've become better than the nurses!

I was on Depo 10 years ago then had to stop as money was tight and my insurance was not covering the $60 for the shot at the time (only needed it for my health at the time as well - accepted that they would cover Viagra happily but not my BC at the time, thinking it was just the way things were - now that lately I've been declared a slut by the moral majority for needing BC - NOT ACCEPTING the double standard ANYMORE!!!!)

(Cough) I digress.

I have given injections to horses, but it's been at least 8 years! I give injections to the foster puppies, but those are sub-cutaneous and not IM. MrB's asked me to give him one of his common injections, either testosterone or vitamin b I can never remember, but I kind of wigged out a bit! Animals, no problem! My own personal pets, hmm ok I can do that. People, yeaaah probably. My 'own' people, like loved ones? I don't think so! Too afraid id mess up and hurt them! :D

Your 'digression' was much supported as I read it- lots of nodding and agreement on this side of the screen!! Ridiculous!

Cashela
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
I haven't had kids and neither has my sister and our dr's had no problem giving us the Mirena.

cyriz's mom
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:34 PM
I had an ablation in my early 40s. It was an outpatient procedure.

Haven't had a period since. Don't miss them at ALL! Really helped with my hormones as well.

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
I'm 29 but have no plans to have children (husband got vasectomy last year) and was hoping to ask about Novasure next month at my annual. You say it hurt? :eek: I am a big, fat, no-pain-tolerance-baby and this scares me! Is the pain normal?? (Not trying to hijack your thread OP!)

First, you might be too young. I was almost 39 when I had it done and I don't think they like to do it if you are too young, there is a chance that it could heal enough to start up periods again. (I figure I'd do it again if that happens).

The reason it hurts so bad is that w/ no children (or in my case, a cesarian section birth, so cervix never stretched) it is hugely painful when they dilate the cervix to get the device into the uterus to do the ablation.

It was short, under 5 minutes total, so given how much more costs adding general anesthesia to it would have been, I would probably just suck it up again, although I'd want a LOT more valium first. Seems I may as well eat M&Ms as take valium.

The other thing that wasn't clear was how long and how much clear/gray serum discharge would be there while it healed. It was 5 or 6 weeks.

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:03 PM
Endometrial ablation will not stop the menstruating aspect of your cycle forever.

There are 2 points to your problem: One you don't like the inconvenience and mess of monthly bleeding along with the cramping, and the second is your PMS which is only to do with your ovaries.

Seriously, for a healthy woman, endometrial ablation is far more distruptive than 4-7 days of bleeding. Ablation is usually done for women who have massive hemorrhaging with each cycle to the point where it causes them to be very anemic, some requiring blood transfusions, or where the women suffers bleeding for weeks and weeks at a time thus their bleeding is literally turning their lives upside down already and causing massive disruption.

Endometrial ablation burns the lining of your uterus, but may or may not be entirely successful burning off the entire thing. You will be required to take a drug beforehand, Lupron, which will really mess up your hormones for a while, but it causes the lining of your uterus to not grow very much, therefore, less for the surgeon has less to burn off. There is little to no bleeding the first month after the ablation, but since the uterus is a highly vascular structure, it tends to heal rather readily. After 3 or 4 months, some menstruation volume will resume and as one other lady mentioned within a couple years you're right back to square one. The procedure itself is very disruptive to the patient's life until healed. No horseback riding, no lifting of objects, no extreme physical exercise, no intercourse for several weeks, no insertion of tampons and the like for many weeks.

I did not take lupron.

I am at 3+ years and so far, 100% success.

4-7 days is a lot more than an inconvenience in my world. I possibly should have been born with testicles, not ovaries, given your sort of rationale.

I rode 3 days later.

The procedure was leaving work early on Friday, back to work on Monday. I used a menstrual cup after about 3 weeks.

The endometrial ablation was less disruptive than having to go buy new clothes at 11 am from work because I forgot to set a timer to go to the bathroom in an hour.

The endometrial ablation was less disruptive than the hangover I gave myself by drinking too much rum that night, with codeine, because the actual procedure hurt like hell.

You sound like the doctor I fired, because she wanted me to try all kinds of crap, including things like Mirena, which is NOT covered by health insurance.

No doctor, I am not. The Nuvaring wasn't covered, and oh...it made me want to kill everyone, and didn't stop the bleeding. I'm not trying a $1000 option that will hurt to insert, isn't covered by insurance (thanks GOP and women's healthcare) when I can try a covered option, and if it hadn't worked? I'd have found someone to do the hysterectomy.

I don't take hormones that make my body think it might be pregnant, they don't like me.

I also don't go to doctors like you who exaggerate the risks & complications and restrictions on women's health procedures.

*Teddy*
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
Im on depo for severe endometriosis. Been on it since i was 11 and they found out i had it through emerg surgury for a twisted ovary. My periods would literally need morphine,

im a bit weird that my lining still manages to grow so i occasionally need laproscopic surgery to clean things up.

Love having no periods!!

mroades
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
I've been on Depo for eight years now. Lucked into a DEXA scan [bone density] 2 years ago (I worked for an orthopedist; office just got the machine and offered free tests to the employees to help train the techs). No loss in bone density; in fact, my bones are more dense than an average female of my age/height/weight.

This for me as well....

zoma
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm in favor of the Depo shot. I had an early partial histrorectomy,(they left the ovaries) and that was when I was 26.(now 58)My daughter started on the Depro when she was 18, and has been on it to present age(the last 15yrs.Why? because she really got bad cramps: endometrius is a family problem,and I really didn't like the docs' opinion "well once you've been pg it'll straighten itself out"(just means,in their opinion you'll know how much pain you really can stand!!)

Action42
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:26 PM
I have to say that I had the Mirena IUD for about 18 months and it was the worst 18 months of my life. Having it inserted was the most painful thing I have endured thus far in my life. I almost passed out (and have never ever passed out before). I had approximately 30 days of pain free life before the constant and crippling cramps took over my life. I had many tests to see if the device had gone through the uterine wall, if I had cysts, etc. Everything with me was normal so it was attributed to the IUD. I waited so long to have it removed because I have issues with most of the other birth control methods out there. The pills make me crazy and I am allergic to latex and many other rubbers.

In the end, I had the IUD removed and started on the Nuvaring. The cramping stopped immediately and the Nuvaring has been the best birth control I have ever tried. Not enough systemic hormones to make me nuts, my period lasts ONE day and I don't have cramps!

I know lots of people have good experiences with the IUD's I just wanted to share my story with it!

rodawn
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
I also don't go to doctors like you who exaggerate the risks & complications and restrictions on women's health procedures.

Excuse me, but every person reacts different to the different treatments. Some people DO suffer a lot with these procedures. Others don't. So you're one of the individuals who didn't have a problem. Good for you, I'm really happy that it went well and for you it was the best choice possible. But some people DO have problems. Serious ones. Nobody on this internet forum has a right to tell someone that it will always be A-ok, because YOU are not a doctor and you don't know the patient. There are risks to every procedure, including insertion of the Mirena. One of the major risks of ablation is uterine rupture. Does it happen often? No. Has it happened, yes. The documentation is there and every surgeon your GP refers you to has it in their literature. Even taking BC has serious risks for some people.

A physician HAS to tell you what could happen, as well as that it usually goes really well and very rare to have complications.

The pros, cons, benefits and alternative therapies must be discussed. In detail. This is how patients make INFORMED choices. It is a responsibility of the doctor to provide his/her patient with as many choices as possible and as much information as possible, so that the choices each patient makes for themselves is fully informed and that they are fully aware of what could go on with the treatment.

I'm not knocking the procedure because for some people it is the right way to go and for them a literal life saver. But this is an internet forum and these discussions are best discussed face to face with the OP's treating surgeon. It's great to get stories about people's experiences, but she needs to be talking to her doctor. There are many choices that can help her and not all of them involve surgery.

Trying2Event
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:59 AM
I had an ablation done about two years ago as out-patient surgery in my local hospital. My doctor put me under, so there wasn't any pain. I had cramping at the end of the procedure and for that evening, but I was 95% by the following day and just fine after.

My insurance covered it because I had been having frequent, long periods, lots of cramping and had been to my gyno for it for it a couple of times. She told them it was necessary, and they paid for it.

I've been happy with my results. My doctor told me she had an 85% success rate, and I fell into the success category. No periods, I do still have 'symptoms' of cycling, in terms of occasional minor cramping, bloating, but the long, heavy periods are gone. I must have been about 44 or 45 when I had it done - with two children on the ground, my child bearing years were clearly behind me.

You're back!!!!!

magnolia73
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:59 AM
Slightly relatedly - has anyone here tried Paragard?

I've had paraguard. There are no hormones. It's been 10 years- insertion hurt, but after that I was fine. My periods have changedthrough the years- at times, they were heavy, at times light- they come in cycles. A few heavy cycles, then a few light etc.

I did have very bad PMS. Horrible bloat, anger, sleeplessness. I was so happy to actually get my period. All changed when I started supplementing with magnesium. The last 3 cycles I was actually caught off guard due to a lack of pms. :)

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
It was a happy, happy day when I had a total abdominal hysterectomy at age 36 six years ago. I'd had all the symptoms the OP describes, plus with a strong family history of cancer, I wanted any excess parts gone. Have been on hormone replacement therapy (Climara patch and then switched to FemRing a year or so ago). I'm ecstatic.

Drastic measures, to be sure, but I'm thrilled with the results.

mellsmom
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
My one Gyno was going to do it for, but when I investigated further I said no way.
Here's what made my decision for me... it is nearly impossible to get all the cells out during an ablation procedure. If you end up having cancerous cells, then they may not catch it because abnormal bleeding is often a sign of the cancer. I am having a different surgery next week to address an abnormal growth or polyp. Of the 5 people I know who have had an ablation, only one stopped having bleeding. If I was someone who had numerous debilitating issues, I would consider it. Because I am not, it's a risk I'm not interested in taking.

ChocoMare
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm with RR. Had ablation done due to extremely long, horrid periods - I'd menstruate for 2 weeks, be off a week or two (if lucky) and then it was back. I should have bought stock in OB.

I didn't have Lupron either.

Outpatient on Friday, back to work Monday like it was nothing.

That was 10 years ago. While my periods have sorta come back, it's maybe 4 times a year, no cramps, very VERY light (like 1 panty liner or 2 a day).

I was over 35, had no plans to have children and was SEVERELY anemic. If it hadn't worked, my OB promised me a hysterectomy.

happymom
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
Elect Santorum. :winkgrin:

Arcadien
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Elect Santorum. :winkgrin:

:lol: Yeah cause in his world all women will be pregnant every year until menopause, so no periods nor need for BC to complain about :rolleyes::no::no:

Ethan & Ella's Mom
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
I sent you a PM. I'm very familiar with Novasure. There are no hormones and the procedure itself is only 90 seconds. It's not labeled as BC so you may want to look into either Essure or Adiana in addition to the ablation. It isn't for everyone, but I would definitely talk to a GYN who uses Novasure.

cheektwocheek
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
I took Depo shots, they made me feel insane. The IUD was uncomfortable, I knew it was there at all times. Novasure did not work for me, but recovery was only about 3 days.
I had a Hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and I feel great, tons of complications but well worth it. Life is way too short to suffer.

mroades
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
I would have a hysterectomy in a heartbeat if I could!

ESG
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
After five years of ridiculously recurrent pain due to uterine fibroids, I had a complete hysterectomy. I'd say it's the best decision I've ever made if I had been one of those women that took to traditional hormone replacement therapy; I wasn't. :sigh:

After eighteen months of hell, I found a doctor who prescribed bioidential hormones, and I found a species of peace.

Of course, me being me, I took myself off them after five years (any sooner, and I'd have run an 82% increased risk of dementia as I aged :eek: ) and decided to manage the hot flashes with nutritional supplements (evening primrose oil and black cohosh). So far, so good. Not wonderful (weight gain, mood swings, skin texture not great), but okay.

The only real way to get rid of your periods is to get rid of your uterus.

Just sayin'.

AlternatingName
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:07 AM
I think it would be fantastic to be rid of the whole works, but I doubt I could convince a doctor to go for that. And I know that comes with its own potential issues and side effects that would have to be handled. But man, it must be nice!

Thanks again everyone, for offering up so much good information to consider. :)