PDA

View Full Version : Voles/Moles....how to remove..

Neighland
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
Last year we had some trouble with them, and caught a few in traps, but I still think there are around and would love to nip this in the bud!! I wish my neighbor Mr Hawk would help me out with them.....he's slacking on his duties!!! Any suggestions fellow COTH'ers, I've tried repellent (which however foul I thought it was, they nor the dogs thought it was nasty), and like I said the traps were mildly successful.......last spring they ate $60 worth of geraniums and I was :mad::mad::mad:

IneedanOTdayAlter
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
We've tried various methods -- all of which have been successful in one way or another....

Cats... the cats are great at getting moles.

Poison -- sometimes it seems like it takes a while to work, but it does always seem to eventually.

Watering them out -- least successful, but we've gotten a few when they came up for air.

Or... the redneck solution -- setting up your lawn chair with your shotgun in hand. :lol:

Kestrel
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
We use poisioned grubs. Can't remember the brand, but they work really well. It may take a few days for them to quit making hills, but it does get rid of them. I wish we could use a kinder method than poision, but traps are illegal in our state.

glfprncs
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
According to my local nursery, moles do not travel in groups. They're independent creatures, I guess. If you have 'moles' in your yard, you actually have A mole. One can do a hell of a lot of damage.

I've found that the best thing to do is eliminate the thing that drew them to my yard instead of the neighbors...generally, grubs. I have hostas, so my grubs have a tendency to eat the roots, thus killing them, so I don't have any problem throwing down grub killer. Once I do that and grubs are gone, Mr. Mole distances himself (or herself if she's Ms. Mole) and heads back over to the neighbor's house.

I have a 40 pound hound mix who also enjoys digging into the tunnels. He's never caught one, but he's been close!

Sail Away
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
We have something similar to this http://www.buy.com/prod/solar-powered-mole-repeller/225766286.html inserted in various places in our yard. It seems to have worked. The only time I know these things are there is when I am right by them. It doesn't affect my dog at all and the area where we have them seem to be tunnel free. Ours run by batteries as our yard is shady and the solar ones would not work very well.