PDA

View Full Version : Of vegetarians, backing up like a pro and Ike.

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
I have a work friend, let's call him Chad, I adore him. He is very, very strictly vegan though. As in VERY strict, no shared surfaces, etc. I eat anything that walks in front of me and feel that a shared surface between potatoes and bacon is a fantastic idea. Preferably the surface of my tongue. On occasion, Chad and I do lunch at work. Please envision Chad in your head, he is tall, very handsome with dark hair and eyes, and very shabby/granola-y hippie yet fabulous gay in only the way those from Olympia, WA can be. It's a crunchy state of mind!

So, we head out in my truck for a certain sandwich shop that we both love. On the way I smelled something so good and saw it! A BBQ truck pulling a mini grill and smoker, goes right past us! You can smell the pork and beef and smoke, it is mind numbingly good! So, I slam to a halt in the middle of the road, lay on the horn and back up rapidly. Cars dodge to the side as I hop a curb backwards to get at the BBQ and as I am looking over my shoulder I see Chads horrified face like it is frozen in some nightmare movie. I watch as his head bounces off the ceiling when I go over the curb, I hear the scream of miserable terror as I wedge backwards to come to a complete stop next to the driver side door of the now very scared man driving the BBQ truck.

I got the card for the BBQ business and they are coming out to work sometime soon :)

Chad has blocked this whole episode from his mind, he flat out refuses to discuss it or hear anything about that day. I did not order bacon on my sandwich at the shop out of apologetic deference to him and my astounding ability to completely freak him out by going straight rat crazy backwards chasing a meat wagon.

Oh yes, I also, in an attempt to fit in more with the hippie crowd, got a little car that gets 40 mpg. It's a neon green Ford Fiesta named Ike (Registered or show name is Sir Isaac Lime the Otter Pop Mobile), it's a hatchback so if you lay the seats down it's a Ford SIESTA.

Ike--->

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac305/fassopony/tn-1-1.jpg

No more backing over curbs! Oh, and white leather interior that means I lie to Chad and can't eat Cheetos in it :yes:

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
Holy crap....it's the crunchy granola tree hugging save the planet version of a pimp-mobile!
Lime green and white leather?

Freaking fantastic! :D

(says she who drives the 10 mpg, plain beige F250 with the v10 gas hog engine :winkgrin:)

(but fellow carnivore enthusiast)

Bluey
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
That seems to be a nice car and not too offensive green color, more on the cute side.

vacation1
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
The new car smile :D It's cute, I like it!

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
Ike is the funnest car I have ever driven. Seriously.

I looked at and test drove a Silverado 1500 (cause I usually drive a truck so why not), a BMW 325i, Lexus ct200, Nissan Juke and a Mazda something or other.

The Lexus *almost* won. Ike is the same car except $17,000 cheaper and not a hybrid. I also just fell in love with the Margarita green (I swear the car came with nachos and a pinata it's so fun).

Oh, and Sync. My phone operates through Ikes stereo system so no more run ins with my buddy the cop on Pacific Ave on my way to horse shows!

Kestrel
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
I would've been right there with ya, yelling "faster - he's getting away!"

Chad sounds very Evergreen.

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
Oh, he is very *much* Evergreen :lol:

I can not wait to tell him he is known by the ladies of COTH. He loves "smack me in the a$$ with a dead cactus" when I say it at work.

Alagirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:26 PM
LOL

I loff Ike (what, no picture of Chad?!)

Hybrids crack me up: ZOMG 30 MPG....yeah, right... they make gas engines that run further... :rolleyes: and no toxic batteries... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh well...

I admire your restrained on the bacon thing though. :D hmmm bacon....

had a serious habit there for a while last fall...

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Well, I should ask before I put his pic up, right?? Poor guy :winkgrin:

I keep hearing those hybrid batteries are thousands of $$$$ to replace in 4 to 6 years. No thanks!!!

Ike is supah fly. I rock out to disco and Pitbull in Ike.

rustbreeches
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
I admire your dedication to the pursuit of the smoked meats!! As someone who is headed to KC tomorrow for 4 days and doesn't plan to let a veggie pass my lips, unless it is slaw, I feel we are kindred spirits.

My BFF and I have been working on a plan since highschool to successfully cross a starfish with a pig, since starfish regenerate missing parts. We would like a pig we can just slice the bacon part off of, without messing about with the rest. Not much luck with this plan so far, but I have been introduced to cottage bacon, which has helped stretch the bacony parts of our pigs

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Cottage bacon is wonderful stuff. I really think in todays world we should be able to baconize any part of the pig, no???

Alagirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
cottage bacon? :confused:

rustbreeches
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
cottage bacon? :confused:

Instead of making pork shouldr steaks, or pork shoulder roasts, they slice and cure it like BACON!! And it is perfecctly proportioned for BLTs, fits a slice of bread perfectly

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
I shall hunt for it...

However, I can leave all the bacon behind for some original Black Forest ham...not the kind sold around here...the deep red with a 1/4 inch outer layer of fat......salty perfection! Procuito just does not cut it...

rustbreeches
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:10 AM
I shall hunt for it...

However, I can leave all the bacon behind for some original Black Forest ham...not the kind sold around here...the deep red with a 1/4 inch outer layer of fat......salty perfection! Procuito just does not cut it...

I have only ever seen it on custom orders at local processors. If you are ever in CO, come by for a BLT!

Calvincrowe
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
OH...Olympia! And Evergreen State...the High Holy Territory of the Truly Green! The poor Right Wingers of Clark County (where I live) make little gagging noises when contemplating traveling through Olympia and avert their eyes from ESC. Those poor people!

I have a brother-in-law who is the older, once-was-good looking and rather crazy version of Chad. What is it about the shunning of meat that causes good people to go bad:lol:?

I love your car! I drive the official Lesbian Mobile of Portland (though I'm not a lesbian, no matter what my gay friends think about my Keen shoes and Levis)--the Subaru Forester!

Credosporthorses
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:37 AM
Instead of making pork shouldr steaks, or pork shoulder roasts, they slice and cure it like BACON!! And it is perfecctly proportioned for BLTs, fits a slice of bread perfectly

mmmmm sounds yummy! :yes:

Polydor
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:45 AM
ROFL love it!

You always have the best threads! Ike is very cute as well.

P.

twotrudoc
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Calvin, that is totally a lesbomobile!! I also get mistaken for being gay because of my rather assertive demeanor ad tomboy ways so I understand. It was worse when I drove a big Silverado and tore around town with my old roommie who drove the prettiest blue Dodge 3/4 ton. Many people thought we were secret lesbos LOL!!

Ike went to his first horse show today and loved it! We parked illegally behind the barns with some small carts, we fit right in except for the outlandish Sir Isaac Lime hue ;)

Calvincrowe
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:52 PM
Add to it that fact that I played adult women's soccer, and had a very short hair cut. All I need is a wallet chain... Of course, Mr. Calvincrowe doesn't find this at all amusing:lol:

Portland is a weird city, and I live in a little Far Right outpost here in SW WA close by. I love hearing the grinding of teeth when Portland's gay mayor talks on TV--hee hee...

kookicat
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
I was accosted by a vegan in the supermarket a few weeks ago. She pointed at the beef in my trolley and said 'that was alive once'. I pointed at the sadly wilted lettuce in her trolley and said 'so was that.'

Love the car. :)

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:54 PM
OH...--the Subaru Forester!

The state car of Vermont! 2nd-Volvo 3rd-Saab. Still.

Great color car, TTD>

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
I was accosted by a vegan in the supermarket a few weeks ago. She pointed at the beef in my trolley and said 'that was alive once'. I pointed at the sadly wilted lettuce in her trolley and said 'so was that.'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

kateh
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
It's a neon green Ford Fiesta named Ike (Registered or show name is Sir Isaac Lime the Otter Pop Mobile), it's a hatchback so if you lay the seats down it's a Ford SIESTA.

:lol::lol:

Twotrudoc, you sound like someone I could be friends with! :yes:

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
I have only ever seen it on custom orders at local processors. If you are ever in CO, come by for a BLT!

Might have to pass it along to the lodge brother of DH, he and his boys raise pigs for 4H....

they are very tasty critters! :yes: :cool:

twotrudoc
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
I love fun, Kateh!!

Kooki, I would pay to see that, video next time please :cool:

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:44 PM
If you feel like screwing with the crunchy granolas, tell them you picked the Fiesta because Top Gear (UK) likes it, and used it to outrun a Corvette and in a Royal Marines amphibious landing ("The smoke grenades fit in the cup holders!")

Of course, I'm genuinely sincere when attempting to give the crunchy granolas aneurysms and also like to point out that my dream car runs, as Jeremy Clarkson put it, on 'sliced dolphins', and I'd have been unable to resist ordering bacon lover with extra bacon any time I was within a hundred yards of a vegan. (Though even radical crazy vegans don't inspire the sort of rage I get at "vegetarians" who insist they are vegetarians despite eating fish, chicken, or 'I don't eat red meat so I'm a vegetarian.' Gah. Not eating a particular kind of live animal while still eating others does not make you a vegetarian! Fish are people too! Well, not people per se, but I have a betta with a very distinct personality....)

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
Fish are friends, not food! :yes:

Trixie
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
I was accosted by a vegan in the supermarket a few weeks ago. She pointed at the beef in my trolley and said 'that was alive once'.

Seriously, who does that?

I've been a vegetarian since I was 9. No meat, no fish, no chicken broth, etc. Not vegan though. I just don't understand what the heck would possess someone to walk up to a stranger and comment on their food. Particularly not in a store. WTH? Do you think they walk up to people and tell them that their chips are fattening, too? Or that fried foods are bad?

Love the car, btw.

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
Fish are friends, not food! :yes:

Tasty, tasty friends...(Of course as the majority that I've had feel the same about other fish, I don't feel guilty...in his mind, Apache could TOTALLY take out a Coho salmon and eat the whole thing. But then bettas are like small dogs, convinced they're about 3000% times larger than they actually are...)

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Tasty, tasty friends...(Of course as the majority that I've had feel the same about other fish, I don't feel guilty...in his mind, Apache could TOTALLY take out a Coho salmon and eat the whole thing. But then bettas are like small dogs, convinced they're about 3000% times larger than they actually are...)

LOL I actually can take or leave Salmon.

But watch your hand around Tuna Nigiri... I might stab you with my chop sticks! :cool:

twotrudoc
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
LOL!! My dear vegan Chad is pretty well behaved in public but he willingly and excitedly will take any opportunity to share his vegan lifestyle :) I have even heard him say to befuddled cashiers and waiters "Can I take this opportunity to explain veganism to you?". I LOFF him so!

I just got done with a pork roast because of this thread. My whole place smells like sage garlic roasted piggy goodness right now. *dreamy*

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
LOL!! My dear vegan Chad is pretty well behaved in public but he willingly and excitedly will take any opportunity to share his vegan lifestyle :) I have even heard him say to befuddled cashiers and waiters "Can I take this opportunity to explain veganism to you?". I LOFF him so!

I just got done with a pork roast because of this thread. My whole place smells like sage garlic roasted piggy goodness right now. *dreamy*

you do have a serious pig habit, Lady! :eek:

Calvincrowe
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
Mmm.. pork! We ate the last of our 4-H market sale pig a while back, darn it! Still have some lamb left and our steer is frozen solid, and we're eating our way thru it. Delish!

My BIL-the-wacky-vegan is pretty aggressive about his lifestyle choice. Makes a mean salad, I'll give him that, but my god that man spends a lot on his food!! Traveling with him is a nightmare, as well. Besides his taste in tie-dyed clothing (yes, they do make tie-dye "suits":eek:), his veganism certainly curtails his social life, as well.

Good thing beer is vegan, otherwise, he'd be totally boring!:lol:

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:56 PM

I'd say "I will stand and listen quietly to you explain veganism provided I am given equal opportunity to describe breaking down a carcass, portioning the meat, and cooking Beef Wellington."

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
I'd say "I will stand and listen quietly to you explain veganism provided I am given equal opportunity to describe breaking down a carcass, portioning the meat, and cooking Beef Wellington."

:lol::lol::lol:

Meany!

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:15 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Meany!

Hey, if people feel the need to explain their eating choices to total strangers, it's only fair the strangers get equal time for rebuttals!

(My bench partner in advanced baking was a vegan, but I don't really remember her making a big issue out of it--being in a real culinary school operating to Le Cordon Bleu's listed standards, she obviously HAD to work with animal products or flunk out, and she was fine with that, she just didn't eat them, and whenever she had a project with sufficient leeway, like our final in that class, she'd do a vegan dish. She actually managed to make a yummy soymilk ice as part of her final. I can't each much soy because of the hormones but it was good...)

twotrudoc
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
I do have a serious pig habit. It's a big one...about the size of my....LOL!! Oooops!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I bought two big roasts, I cooked half of one so I have three left freezing.

Donella
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:42 AM
Bizarre the lady in the grocery store, some people are just too weird for words.:eek:

In my experience though meat eaters always pick the best time to ask "so why are you a vegetarian?". It's usually at some family or work function where you are surrounded by people you don't know super well as they are just about to tuck into their big, bloody steak. :confused: