PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite "everyday" dinner?

IneedanOTdayAlter
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'm looking for some new dinner ideas. Everyday kind of dinners -- not special, over the top, go-to-the-store-and-buy-new-spices kind of dinners. More like those tried and true, my family likes it every time kind of things!

hj0519
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Parmesan Cheese Chicken -
Mix together mayonnaise and parmesan cheese, spread it on boneless chicken breasts, sprinkle bread crumbs on top, then bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes. Easy and good. Usually I eat it with a little pasta and alfredo sauce.

Zesty Italian Dressing Chicken -
Cut up chicken, cook in skillet for 3-4 minutes, add cut up vegetables (I usually just do green peppers) and cook for another 2-3 minutes, add 1/4 cup of zesty Italian dressing and cook for another 2-3 minutes. I usually eat it over rice.

IneedanOTdayAlter
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Those both sound easy and good! Thank you!

Tha Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
So some of these might be a little more labor intensive than you're looking for, but I have a whole series on my blog devoted to this very thing: http://smithratliff.com/tag/daily-dinner/

We still make frequent trips to the market because we buy the freshest and best meats and produce we can find, but nothing at the above link will require incredibly exotic spices, advanced techniques or a huge time commitment.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
serves 4

Ingredients:

8 oz uncooked macaroni or other pasta, preferably whole wheat or whole wheat blend pasta [my personal preference is Ancient Harvest Gluten Free Organic Quinoa Pasta (http://www.quinoa.net/145/163.html) ]
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 oz (about 4 Tbsp) 1/3-less-fat neufchatel cream cheese
1 cup freshly grated 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese (can sub in any good melting cheese, such as monterey jack)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more depending on heat preference
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, whisk together and heat pumpkin puree and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Reduce stove heat to low. Whisk in cheeses until fully melted.
Stir in nutmeg and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir drained pasta into the pumpkin-cheese sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
At this point, the mac & cheese might appear a bit soupy. If this is the case, let the mixture sit off of the heat for a few minutes. The cheese sauce will firm up as it slightly cools.
Serve with an extra dusting of nutmeg, if desired.

betonbill
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:51 PM
Pot roast. I still like the McCormick's pot roast mix with the bake in bag package. Add beef, potatoes, carrots, etc., pour the mix over it, seal the bag and bake. Voila.

Chicken (name your parts). Cream of mushroom soup over the top, I add lots of curry powder. Bake for an hour or so. Spoon sauce over rice. Yum.

Simkie
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Roast chicken. Take a whole chicken, roast at 425 for about 90 mins (use a thermometer to determine doneness.) Make as fancy as you want with spices or rubs or whatever.

Bacardi1
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Gee - definitely not exciting, but one of hubbie's favorites that I keep the makings on hand are just plain old "Turkey Tacos". Always have a "taco kit" in the pantry, ground turkey in the freezer, & lettuce in the fridge - voila - tacos.

gdolapp
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
We have a couple:

Stuff:
Make a box of kraft mac n cheese before adding cheese add a 1/2 to 3/4 cups of frozen peas and choice of cut up cooked ham or chicken or turkey then add cheese stir put in a microwave safe dish cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes to warm up the meat and cook the peas. Take out stir and top with shredded or slices of cheese put back in microwave for a couple minutes to melt cheese. Tuna is also good in this.

Homemade hamburger helper:
Again make mac n cheese and then add browned drained hamburger.

Glorified spagehti: Make spagetti noodles spray bottem of baking dish put noodles on bottem then browned sausage or hamburger, then diced up onion green pepper pour can of any kind of diced/stewed tomatoes on top and spread around. Top with spageheti sauce cover and bake about twenty minutes at 350 or untill hot sprinkle shredded cheese on top put back in oven long enough to melt cheese cut just like you would lasagna and serve.

hasahorse
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Love this...

Quick Pomodoro Sauce

Broil 2 Italian sausages until mostly done, turn over after 3 minutes.
While broiling, saute 5 - 6 cloves of garlic, chopped, and 1/4 -1/2 tsp red pepper flakes in 1 TBSP olive oil. Add 1 can chopped tomatoes with juice. Slice Italian sausage into 1/4" pieces, add to tomatoes and garlic. Stir in 1 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve with pasta of your choice.

rustbreeches
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:38 AM
Boil a half box of penne. Brown a pound of bulk Italian sausage. Add ome chopped peppers, onions, carrots to the sausage. Add brocolli florets when pasta is almost done. Drain the pasta, add a pint of ricotta, some butter and a cup of fresh grated parm or pecorino romano. Mix. Add the sausage and veggies.

Mrs. Bannister's chicken

Butter a baking dish. place in boneless skinless chicken breasts. Put a small pat of butter and a slice of provolone on each breast. Cover with a can of cream of something soup mixed with half a can of milk. Top with breadcrumbs, Bake at 350 for 45 min or until it is bubbly and the edges are browned and the top is golden. Serve with hot buttered egg noodles and green peas

RedMare01
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
Korean beef stir fry:

Marinate sliced beef in 3T sesame oil, 3T soy sauce, 1T sugar, 1T garlic, 1T sesame seeds. Stir fry with whatever veggies you like. Serve over rice. If you're feeling fancy, you can put it in lettuce wraps.

Meatballs:

Make a batch of chicken meatballs when you have time and freeze them. 1lb ground chicken, 2 eggs, 4T breadcrumbs, clove of garlic, sprinkle of dried basil. Make them bite size/fairly small. Bake on a cookie sheet at 325 for 20 minutes or so.

I use them mainly in soups, but you can use them for whatever. Throw some in chicken broth with egg noodles and shredded carrots for chicken noodle soup in minutes. Or do pasta and spinach in broth for Italian Wedding. Etc.

Murphy's Mom
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:28 AM
Gunky Gulash :D
Brown 1 lb ground beef, add 1 package macaroni and cheese (cooked, cheese mixed in), and 1 can tomato sauce. A family favorite. My dad was making this long before Hamburger Helper.

Chicken Taquito Casserole
In a casserole dish layer refried beans, sour cream, frozen taquitos (I buy in bulk from Costco), more refried beans and sour cream, then top with cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350* for 45-60 minutes (depends on size of casserole dish).

Creamed Eggs on Toast
Follow the directions for a medium to thick white sauce on the back of the corn starch container. Add a couple slices of American cheese (stir until melted), salt and pepper, and dice up some hard boiled eggs. Serve over toast.

BlueEyedSorrel
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
My mother made this all the time. Very simple, very easy, no special ingredients and the recipe is expandable. More people = more chicken/onions. Less people = less chicken. You can pre-chop the onion and chicken the day before, too. And the 30-60 min simmering time gives you time to clean up the kitchen or do whatever.

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash (courtesy of BES's late grandmother)

Chop 2 large onions and saute in olive oil (or butter) in large skillet

Chop 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs and 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Season with salt, pepper.

Brown chicken in batches. Put all the chicken & onion back in the skillet and add 1 tablespoon paprika (more or less, depending on your tastes), salt to taste and enough water to almost cover the chicken. Cover skillet and simmer on low until cooked through, at least 30 minutes, up to an hour. You may have to add water periodically to keep it from burning. The longer you simmer (within reason), the more the flavors meld together.

Serve over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes or dumplings.

You can also add chopped bell peppers to the onions, or thicken the sauce with sour cream. I don't, because that's not the way Grandma made it;), and we all know that Grandma's version is the best. The basic recipe also works well for veal stew meat or pork. The most important thing is having good, fresh paprika, NOT stuff that has been at the back of the pantry for 5 years.

BES

keepthelegend
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
Roast chicken. Take a whole chicken, roast at 425 for about 90 mins (use a thermometer to determine doneness.) Make as fancy as you want with spices or rubs or whatever.

Ha! Thanks for triggering my PTSD. Simple, every day dinner my A$$!!!

LauraKY
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
Winter: Crock pot beef stew or vegetarian chili
Spring/Fall: Beer can chicken
Summer: Chicken Caesar salad or Salad greens with feta, pear, chicken, onion, croutons and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Anytime: Crockpot BBQ pulled chicken

Family Reunion Dinner (I am not allowed to change this): Beer Can Chicken, Homemade Potato Salad, Fried Green Tomatoes, Grilled Yellow Squash, Peppers & Onions, and Derby Pie, along with copious amounts of beer and wine, of course. The main course used to be steamed crabs, but sadly, I left Maryland for Kentucky.

Beer can chicken recipe: Mix equal parts of paprika, salt, black pepper and brown sugar. Rub all over outside of chicken and dump some on the inside. Open can of beer. Drink half. Punch bunch of holes in the top of the beer can. Stick beer can up chicken's neck. Rest chicken and beer can on baking dish, using the legs and can to make a tri-pod. Bake at 375 for 2 hours. (I use the large roasting chicken). Yum, yum, yum.

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
serves 4

Ingredients:

8 oz uncooked macaroni or other pasta, preferably whole wheat or whole wheat blend pasta
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup 1% low-fat milk
2 oz (about 4 Tbsp) 1/3-less-fat neufchatel cream cheese
1 cup freshly grated 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese (can sub in any good melting cheese, such as monterey jack)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more depending on heat preference
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, whisk together and heat pumpkin puree and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
Reduce stove heat to low. Whisk in cheeses until fully melted.
Stir in nutmeg and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir drained pasta into the pumpkin-cheese sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
At this point, the mac & cheese might appear a bit soupy. If this is the case, let the mixture sit off of the heat for a few minutes. The cheese sauce will firm up as it slightly cools.
Serve with an extra dusting of nutmeg, if desired.

I drooled over this last OT day! Since its the last coolgloomy day for a while, I think this is up tonight. Thanks again HFB+++.
I love me anything pumpkin

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
My mother made this all the time. Very simple, very easy, no special ingredients and the recipe is expandable. More people = more chicken/onions. Less people = less chicken. You can pre-chop the onion and chicken the day before, too. And the 30-60 min simmering time gives you time to clean up the kitchen or do whatever.

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash (courtesy of BES's late grandmother)

Chop 2 large onions and saute in olive oil (or butter) in large skillet

Chop 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs and 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Season with salt, pepper.

Brown chicken in batches. Put all the chicken & onion back in the skillet and add 1 tablespoon paprika (more or less, depending on your tastes), salt to taste and enough water to almost cover the chicken. Cover skillet and simmer on low until cooked through, at least 30 minutes, up to an hour. You may have to add water periodically to keep it from burning. The longer you simmer (within reason), the more the flavors meld together.

Serve over rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes or dumplings.

You can also add chopped bell peppers to the onions, or thicken the sauce with sour cream. I don't, because that's not the way Grandma made it;), and we all know that Grandma's version is the best. The basic recipe also works well for veal stew meat or pork. The most important thing is having good, fresh paprika, NOT stuff that has been at the back of the pantry for 5 years.

BES

Sounds really good and simple. Yum. How brown do you make the onions? Into the recipe box.

Wholehearted
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Recipes from my favorite recipe site, tastykitchen.com.

Slow Cooker Stroganoff - cooks all day, serves 6

2 pounds Stew Meat
2 cans Golden Mushroom Soup
1 can Cream Of Mushroom Soup
½ cups Chopped Onion
1 clove Chopped Garlic
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 package Onion Soup Mix
½ cups Water
1 bag Egg Noodles
4 ounces, weight Softened Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons Sour Cream

. In crock pot, add the meat, soups, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix, and water.

2. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.

3. Prepare egg noodles per package.

4. Stir in cream cheese and sour cream just before serving. Mix in egg noodles.

BBQ Shrimp 30 Min, serves 6

2 sticks Unsalted Butter
½ Lime, Juiced
¼ cups Hot Sauce
¼ cups Worcheshire Sauce
2 pounds Shrimp (I use the frozen kind)
Salt And Pepper
1 loaf Crusty Bread

In a large shallow baking dish, put all ingredients in except the bread and mix them gently. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Put the dish in the oven at 3750ºF. Keep an eye on the shrimp and stir them around after a few minutes to make sure they cook evenly. As soon as they are all pink, they’re done. It only takes a few minutes. You can also do this on the grill. You can also add fresh parsley when the shrimp are done if you desire. Serve with a big chunk of crusty bread (heated in the oven) and dip the bread in to pick up all those wonderful flavors. Expect to have juice dribbling down your chin and enjoy it!

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings 30 min-1hr, serves 6

2 cups Flour
½ teaspoons Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 cup Milk, A Bit Less Than A Full Cup
2 quarts Chicken Broth
3 cups Cooked Chicken

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.

Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with. I like to use a pizza cutter. I also like to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.

Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″. It’s okay for them not to be exact. Just eye ball it. Some will be bigger, some smaller, some shaped funny.

Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate. Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.

To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done!

luvmytbs
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
I recently discovered Pierogies by Mrs. T's and love, love, love them.
They have them in many different combinations.
You can eat them as a meal by themselves (I add hot sauce on top) or with just about anything.

I fry them in butter in a non-stick pan and it takes no time.

Found them on sale for $ 2.50 a box at Meijers the other day and stocked up.

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/products.aspx

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:12 PM
Indian Lentils: EASY and done in 1/2 hour

!/2 cup red or yellow split lentils
2 1/4 cup water
1 can diced tomatoes or 1 roma tomato, cut in 4 pieces
1/4 tsp. cayenne or more to taste
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1tsp. salt

Rinse lentils and add to med. saucepan,.Add water, tomatoes, cayenne, cumin, turmeric, salt. Bring to boil and cook on med.high for 10 minutes.

Reduce temp to simmer and cook uncovered for 15-20 min. if it gets dry, add water.If using fresh tomato, squish on side of pan. Can also be covered to save liquid.

Heat oil. When its quite warm, throw in cumin seeds to roast, about 30 sec. DO NO BURN. Add onion and saute until soft, about 10 min. Cook them the way you like them. They get added at the end of cooking so wont change texture much.

Check lentils for doneness. Add onions?cumin seeds. Add liquid to suit. Top w/cilantro.

SOOOO goood. And very pretty. Can eat as is or serve over rice or with naan. Great with a dollop of plain yogurt, and helps the heat if its too hot for you. Coriander chutney is great with it.

Adds:

Cubed chicken, pork, shrimp.
Frozen veg-okra, peas, spinach, kale-anything you want
Add yogurt after heat is off and onions are added to make it creamy (yummm)

I love cooking Indian. Patak's pastes are great, and only need a protein, an onion, and a can of tomatoes. Different Indian chutneys make it beautiful and special, and add different flavors. I put a tsp. of a few on the edge of the bowl.

lovey1121
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:24 PM
Shrimp in "Barbecue" Sauce: (Mark Bittman)

1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. shrimp, peeled
2 TB Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
Salt, pepper
juice of 1 lemon

Put butter in skillet and turn to high. When butter melts, add shrimp and Worcestershire sauce. Cook,stirring occasionally, until sauce is glossy and thick and shrimp are pink, about 5 min.If at any point sauce threatens to dry out, add 1-2 TB water. Season w/salt and pepper, stir in lemon juice and serve.

Variations on sauce:
3 TB red wine vinegar and no lemon
2 TB dijon mustard and 1 TB water

So good. Serve w/crusty bread for mopping.

bdj
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
My go-to for when I'm very tired, and don't want to pay attention to what's cooking on the stove is the world's easiest pasta sauce (I've heard that the recipe came from Marcela Hazan):
1 big can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 onion, cut in half
5 Tbsp butter (though I don't usually use quite that much)
Put it all in a pot, and simmer for 45 minutes, crushing the tomatoes as they cook, and discarding the onion at the end.
(Since I live alone, I usually cut the recipe in half - just use a small (14 oz.) can of tomatoes.)

If I'm very tired but I want some protein, Shake n' Bake on boneless chicken breasts with saffron-jasmine rice from the bulk food section at the local Amish market on the side is super quick, satisfying, and everything is done at the same time.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
I drooled over this last OT day! Since its the last coolgloomy day for a while, I think this is up tonight. Thanks again HFB+++.
I love me anything pumpkin

You're welcome. I had some myself!

BravAddict
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
Parmesan chicken: roll chicken breasts in a mixture of parmesan and what ever seasonings you like. Put it in a baking dish, cover with tin foil, and bake at 400 until done. Serve with salad.

Dinner for a crowd (I have four roommates) : skin-on chicken thighs and even-sized chunks of root vegetables (sweet potatoes, celery, carrots, beets, potatoes, parsnips), oh and quartered onions! Season everything up and add a little olive oil, cover with tin foil and bake at 400 until done.

Eggs for a crowd, Arabic-knock-off style: scrambled eggs with sides of plain Greek yogurt, hummus, chopped fresh tomatoes, sliced bell peppers and lettuce. Add fun stuff as you see fit, and eat with your hands using warm pita bread.

DarkStarrx
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
Oh man, I'm so hungry now. SO and I really need a baking dish. We only have a pot and a pan, and are always struggling on what to make for dinner. He likes super spicy things and I have a milder tongue.

Polydor
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:19 AM

keepthelegend: The first thought that popped into my head when I read that suggestion was that whole saga! LOL Definitely one of the best threads on COTH EVER! Do you think you will ever cook a chicken again?

P.

MunchingonHay
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
I recently discovered Pierogies by Mrs. T's and love, love, love them.
They have them in many different combinations.
You can eat them as a meal by themselves (I add hot sauce on top) or with just about anything.

I fry them in butter in a non-stick pan and it takes no time.

Found them on sale for $ 2.50 a box at Meijers the other day and stocked up.

http://www.pierogies.com/retail/products/products.aspx

I LOVE pierogies!! and when I moved to Fl a decade ago they were hard to find. Now I get them at Aldi for....wait for it....................................$1.79 !!! AND They are the SAME product as my beloved Mrs. T's!

I like to saute veggies as my dinners; zucz, summer squash, green pepper, corn (off the cob), eggplant, green beans and then toss in thawed out pierogies in the pan as my veggies are cooling to use as a filler in my dinner. NOM NOM!

Larksmom
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:45 AM
Start out with about 1 pound of ground beef, or turkey, whatever your taste requires. brown onion, and garlic if you like. I use the bags of frozen peppers, and add about one half package. Add about 1 cup of cooked elbow or shell pasta, about 8 oz of sharp cheddar or whatever type of cheese you prefer, and about 1 cup of corn, frozen works best these days. Then put enough tomato sauce in to make it completely covered, and add about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 T of chili power. Bake for about 45 minutes, and it is fabulous. Since I live alone, I cut it down considerably these days, but it is very easy and very good.

moonriverfarm
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:24 AM
Bag of fresh spinach
Whole flax seeds, 2 Tsp
Half an avocado
Tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella cut in cubes
Slivered almonds
Top with:
Grilled, broiled or baked salmon filet
Olive oil/balsamic vinegar

BEST SALAD EVER and very very healthy!

bumknees
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
Pasta Bake

oven to 350.

Bag of noodles I use wide regular egg though I guess you can use what ever you want.
a cup or so eye ball it of water
1 large bottle of fav sgetti sauce non chunky. the largest you can find if you have let over you can aleays have sgetti or moz sticks later in the week.
I sometimes will add meatballs depends on what my family wants that night.
bag of shredded moz cheese
baking dish. large enough for our size family.

Take the noodles and fill up baking dish until about 1/4-1/2 inch below top.
Add water so not quite covering noodles and stir around so all noodles are wetish
Take the sgetti sauce and pour in stirring in to the noodles until well stired in and it reaches up enough to cover all the nooodles and most if not all the tip of hte noodles.
If you want to add meatballs cut them up in to 1/2 or 1/4 family choice place them in now push them into noodles or dtir them in will not matter.
After meatballs are in and sauce is how much you like it put cheese on top to own likings but not to much so when it melts and bubles up it spils onto bottom of oven.

place in over cook from 30minutes to 1 hr depending on how large of a bake you made. test when things seem to want to boil over..

dangerbunny
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
Steak and Mushroom has become a staple since I have been craving mushrooms, I generally use portabellas and you can often find them on sale. This is super easy and really tasting, I don't often season it much since the mushrooms add a really nice flavor.

Saute chopped onion and mushroom in butter or olive oil
chop steak into slices and pan fry
combine ingredients in large fry pan
add 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch, mix
add 1.5 to 2 cups beef broth
cook until sauce like, stirring occasionally
season to taste and serve over rice or noodles.

so yummy!

Event4Life
Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella & whole grain mustard wrapped with parma ham. Serve with your choice of veggies, I like a mix of peppers and onions. Slice down middle of chicken breasts so theres about 1cm from the bottom. Mix mozzarella and whole grain mustard, stuff inside, wrap either parma ham or bacon if you're not trying to be posh. Cook for ~40 mins on 350F. Recipe adapted from BBC good foods.

Any stir fry. Literally - great for using up leftovers! I get most of my ideas from BBC good foods, then I adjust them every time I make them.

Pesto pasta - whole grain penne pasta, fried peppers, red onions, and courgettes. Cook pasta as on packet, cook veggies in oil and s+p, when pasta is finished combine all in a bowl and add pesto.

onelanerode
My husband's favorite, and very quick:

1 package of tortellini (we get spinach from Trader Joe's)
1 pack of portobello mushrooms

Slice and lightly sautee your mushrooms; cook tortellini according to instructions. Make a side salad (lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, grape tomatoes, etc.).

Drain tortellini, toss sauteed mushrooms and cooked tortellini together with a few tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, serve with salads.

I can make this meal in less than 15 minutes, which is awesome.

meupatdoes
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
I keep frozen fish (tilapia/salmon/whatever) and if I want a quick healthful dinner I take one and put it in the fridge for the day to thaw while I am at work.

Come home, put butter in the pan, season the fish, put it in the pan.

Handful of spinach on the plate, chop a tomato over it, flip the fish, add mushroom to the salad on the plate, put the table cloth out, pour a glass of whatever to drink, by then the fish is done and voila.

Dinner is served, complete with tablecloth.

mythical84
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
I try to make at least 1 or 2 "big" dinners a week, so that I can freeze the leftovers for another night. One of my favorites to do this with is chili.

So here are 2 recipes:

"Turkey chili"
1lb ground turkey
2 chili seasoning packets (store brand is fine)
2 large cans of tomato sauce
2 zucchinis (sliced in half, then sliced into 1/2" pieces)
2 squash (ditto above)
1-2 small/medium potatoes (ditto above)
1 small bag of frozen corn

Simply mix all the ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-20 minutes.

I can usually freeze half of this to use for ...

"Turkey chili bake"
frozen chili
1 box pasta (any kind is fine, my favorite is to use rotini or shells)
2lb shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, etc ... your favorites)
1 small jar of queso

Boil your pasta and return to pot. Mix with chili, 1 1/2lb cheese and 1/2 jar of queso. Pour into roasting pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I love serving this with a hearty salad. Such a great summer meal.

chai
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Event4Life, these are all great recipes, but your chicken one sounds delicious.

Here's a quick and easy one:

Chicken Fajitas

Flour tortillas - usually found in the dairy section

2 Boneless Chicken Breasts, grilled, sauteed or baked

1 yellow pepper diced
1 orange pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 Avocado pureed in food processer

While chicken is cooking, wrap fajitas in foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350' In a frying pan, brown up onion and peppers until tender in either butter, olive oil or Pam cooking spray.
Puree avocado or dice. When choosing an Avacado, make sure it isn't too hard. It should have some 'give' to it, but not be squishy.

When Fajitas are warm, pile chopped chicken, peppers and onions, top with avocado and enjoy.

If you want to make a more hearty sauce to add to this; combine 1/2 cup heavy cream, 2 tbs. butter and just under 1 cup shredded mixed cheese over low burner and stir until thick. Add to sauteed veggies.

Tapperjockey
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
here is my crock pot roast beef stew (it's 2 meals):

1 beef roast (that will fit in your crock pot..you can brown, which i prefer, first)
1-2 onion (sliced fairly thickly)
1 pkg french onion soup mix
1 c red wine (quality doesn't matter)
1 lb carrots (chunked.. i scrub but leave the peel on)
1-2 turnips (peeled and cubed)
4-5 parsnips (peeled and chunked)
4-5 potatoes (i scrub, but leave peel on, and cube)

Throw all in crock pot and cook all day. Enjoy. Put whole crock in fridge with left overs in it.

Next day, take out crock and let sit for 10-20 mins at room temp, take remaining roast out, do a quick cube/slice on it, put back into crock then turn on to medium heat. Add one package frozen veggies (i get the bean/carrot/corn/pea mixed ones), and packet of either beef stew mix, or in a pinch.. brown or beef gravy mix packets work well (watch.. you may need to add a bit more liquid.. I usually have brown stock on hand, but have used among other things, veggie stock, more red wine, etc).

Make rice (I usually use brown rice.. jasmine is good too. In a pinch, minute rice works.. and it's good with Uncle ben's wild rice as well).

ladle stew over rice in a bowl. Is delicious with fresh bread to dip in the sauce.

KateKat
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oh man, I'm so hungry now. SO and I really need a baking dish. We only have a pot and a pan, and are always struggling on what to make for dinner. He likes super spicy things and I have a milder tongue.

Get a dutch oven. I cook almost exclusively in mine nowadays!

My favorite dish right now is green curry beef shortribs. Beef and green curry sounds weird, but its actually delish and pretty fast (cooking time just takes a bit, actual prep time is easy)

Stirfries are also pretty common in my household, as are any dish with chicken!

Mtn trails
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:50 PM

If you get a baking dish DO NOT GET A PYREX! They have a habit of breaking unexpectedly in the oven or when you take it out. Get a metal or ceramic of some kind.

My contribution and my DH's fave:

Crispy Onion Chicken
spray bottom of baking pan with non-stick spray
lay out chicken breats in pan skin side up
Spread low-cal mayo in a thin layer on chicken (just tops)
In a small bowl mix together:
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
3 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1 packet of dried beef boullion
1/4 tsp black pepper
Sprinkle topping evenly over chicken until covered. Tap lightly with back of spoon to adhere it well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, turn on the broiler for last 5 minutes for extra crispy. Serve and devour! It's great and only 320 calories.
note: You can play with how much bread crumbs and how much onion flakes depending on what you like. I like a little more onion in mine but YMMV.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
I take macaroni noodles, put together a parmesan-garlic sauce, and saute chicken and whatever mushrooms I have on hand first in olive oil and then finish them in the sauce. Serve with salad.

Or, when that's too difficult: it's not delivery, it's the pizza in the box freezer downstairs, spiced up with artichokes, mushrooms, and whatever else I can find in the fridge.

Event4Life
Mar. 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
If you get a baking dish DO NOT GET A PYREX! They have a habit of breaking unexpectedly in the oven or when you take it out. Get a metal or ceramic of some kind.

My contribution and my DH's fave:

Crispy Onion Chicken
spray bottom of baking pan with non-stick spray
lay out chicken breats in pan skin side up
Spread low-cal mayo in a thin layer on chicken (just tops)
In a small bowl mix together:
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
3 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1 packet of dried beef boullion
1/4 tsp black pepper
Sprinkle topping evenly over chicken until covered. Tap lightly with back of spoon to adhere it well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, turn on the broiler for last 5 minutes for extra crispy. Serve and devour! It's great and only 320 calories.
note: You can play with how much bread crumbs and how much onion flakes depending on what you like. I like a little more onion in mine but YMMV.

That sounds amazing!!

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
I made this yesterday:

Hearty Bean & Pasta Soup

4 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth is fine, too)
2 cups tomato juice
16 oz elbow mac (or other favorite shape)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced carrot
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (dried is fine, just use less)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
salt & pepper to taste

Cook pasta separately (cooking in the soup makes it mushy and disgusting). Don't rinse.

In a large saucepan, combine broth, juice, garlic, carrot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 4 minutes.

Stir in zucchini. Cook for ~4 minutes or until veggies are to your liking.

Add beans, parsley, basil, thyme, and cooked pasta. Warm through and serve with shredded Parmesan & a drizzle of lemon juice.

Last night, I didn't feel like cooking pasta, so I threw in some fresh baby spinach and stirred until it wilted.

YUM!

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
Quinoa Primavera with Chicken, Spring Peas and Asparagus
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 pound (about 1/2 bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears cut into
1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup fresh peas or frozen petite peas, thawed
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
1 cup thinly sliced baby spinach leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Method
Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until quinoa is tender and all the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and asparagus. Cook, stirring often, until asparagus is tender and bright green, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and peas and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in chicken and cooked quinoa. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

However, it needs "something" acidic. I've stirred in white wine vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, lemon & herb seasoning...none are quite right. I think I'll try fresh lemon peel & juice next time.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Red Quinoa-Avocado Salad
SERVES: 10

Ingredients
1 pkg (7 oz) Red Quinoa, cooked per pkg directions, chilled
1 pkg (12 oz) Frozen Super-Sweet Corn, thawed
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
2 plum tomatoes, 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, cubed small
1/2 cup Lemon Vinaigrette (buy or make your own. This one calls for a Wegmans brand)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions
Add cooked quinoa, corn, cilantro, green onions, and tomatoes to mixing bowl. Fold in avocados and dressing; mix until well-combined. Season with
salt and pepper; serve.

I have not yet tried this one, but I LOVE the Wegmans Lemon Vinaigrette. I think the whole thing will be tasty on a hot summer's day.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
Garden Minestrone (from Wegmans (http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=726314#))

Makes: 24 cups

Ingredients

2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 pkg (4 oz) Citterio Cubetti Pancetta
5 cloves Garlic, minced
2 whole leeks, trimmed, cleaned, halved lengthwise, 2-inch slices
1 pkg (24 oz) Fingerling Potato Medley, 1/2-inch dice (this particular medley has blue fingerlings)
3 cartons (32 oz each) Beef Culinary Stock
2 medium zucchini (about 1 1/4 lbs), 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
2 medium yellow goldbar squash (about 1 1/4 lbs), 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
1 pkg (1.5 oz) Jus de Poulet Lie Gold Classic Roasted Chicken Demi-Glace (Grocery Dept)
1 cup Pasta OPTIONAL
2 cans (15.5 oz each) Cannellini Beans, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pkgs grape tomatoes, cut larger in quarters; smaller in half
pesto for garnish
Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved for garnish

Directions

Heat olive oil and pancetta in stockpot on MEDIUM; cook 6-8 min, until crisped. Add garlic and leeks. Stir; reduce heat to LOW. Cook 10 min, occasionally stirring, until leeks soften. Add potatoes, mix just to warm through.

Stir in beef stock; bring to simmer on HIGH.

Reduce heat to LOW. Cook about 15 min, until potatoes are fork-tender.

Add zucchini, squash, demi-glace, pasta and beans to pot; season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer about 15 min, until pasta is al dente.

Serve: Place a layer of tomatoes in bottom of a bowl; add soup and top with basil & garlic puree and cheese.

My personal touches:

I skip the pancetta, pasta & demi-glace. Mostly because I have no idea where to find the demi-glace (even though Wegmans online grocery list will give me the aisle) and it's probably chock full of sodium.
I throw the tomatoes in the pot to cook.
I prefer it with vegetable stock instead of beef stock.
Kidney beans and roman beans are just as yummy as Cannellini beans

The recipe is so large for single me that I freeze half for later.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Pasta with Artichoke Hearts and Tomatoes (stolen from Pioneer Woman)

Servings 6
Ingredients
• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 2 Tablespoons Butter
• 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
• ½ whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
• 1 can Artichoke Hearts (14.5 Oz. Quartered Or Whole) Drained
• 1 can Diced Tomatoes With Juice (14.5 Oz.)
• 1 cup Heavy Cream
• ½ cups Chicken Broth (More As Needed)
• ½ teaspoons Nutmeg
• Salt And Pepper, to taste
• 1 pound Thin Spaghetti
• 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
• 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives (or Other Herbs) Chopped
Preparation Instructions
Cook spaghetti till al dente. Drain and set aside.

Melt olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.

Add artichoke hearts and tomatoes. Stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream and chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste (do not undersalt!) Cook over low heat until heated through, then turn off heat.

Place drained pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 cup Parmesan. Pour sauce over the top. Add chives. Toss lightly to combine and coat; add a tiny bit of reserved pasta water if sauce seems too thick.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutesCook time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

3 large leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only -the white and pale green parts, chop. (or be like me and use the whole dang thing. Who cares if the soup is green when it tastes this good?!)
2 Tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*
2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
Marjoram - dash
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I'm not a fan of parsley, it's fine without or with less)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce (sriracha = mmm)
Salt & Pepper
*If cooking gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free broth.

METHOD

Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown leeks! Browning will give leeks a burnt taste.
Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan. Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste.

Yield: Serves 4-6.

Personal touches:
I skip the seasonings and cook the taters in College Inn's White Wine & Herb culinary broth. To.Die.For.
I also puree the whole batch, first with a potato masher, then with a stick blender. It ends up more like soupy mashed potatoes, but that's the way I like it, uh huh, uh huh.

caradino
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
We do a lot of vegetarian meals at our house, though we are both meat-eaters!

Tofu-Veggie Stir Fry
Chop up your favorite veggies (we like eggplant, bell peppers, onion, and broccoli) and toss in a big pan with some oil and cook til crisp-tender. Throw in some cubed tofu and let it brown, then glop in some store-bought stir-fry sauce. (I usually don't do store-bought sauce but this is an 'I don't feel like really cooking' meal!) Heat through, serve over rice or rice noodles, DONE.

Kasha and Roasted Veggies
Chop up your favorite veggies, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herbs and spices strike your fancy. Roast on a baking sheet at 400 for about 30 min or until soft and yummy looking. While the veggies are doing their thang, cook some Kasha (a type of yummy grain, find it near the rice) according to the package directions. When both parts are done, mix together. Eat.

MunchingonHay
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Can we make this thread an Off Topic Day Sticky???

PLEAAASSSSE!!:D

MunchingonHay
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:26 PM
Get a dutch oven. I cook almost exclusively in mine nowadays!

My favorite dish right now is green curry beef shortribs. Beef and green curry sounds weird, but its actually delish and pretty fast (cooking time just takes a bit, actual prep time is easy)

Stirfries are also pretty common in my household, as are any dish with chicken!

to the poster that needs a baking dish, I love my pampered chef baker. its ceramic and its covered for life if you break it.

pony grandma
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:57 PM
For the men in your life that really want a meat and potatoes and gravy dinner every once and awhile my go to is keeping some cube steaks in the freezer for an easy to fix low stress meal.

Throw them in a (cast iron!) skillet (can cook them frozen) and brown (that makes the deglaze material in the skillet for the gravy), cover with a lot of water, or even a can of beef broth, and simmer with a few bay leaves, keep them water covered. Let them simmer and soften. Boil some red potatoes cut into chunks, steam some fresh broccolli whatever veggie. Put about 1/4 c flour in a bowl, add cold milk and whisk - pour into steak liquid and low heat stir until thickened. Voila.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:02 PM
I spend a lot of time on www.allrecipes.com

I have a pile of things in my recipe box now from there that are quick and easy.

Guin
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:03 PM
Gee - definitely not exciting, but one of hubbie's favorites that I keep the makings on hand are just plain old "Turkey Tacos". Always have a "taco kit" in the pantry, ground turkey in the freezer, & lettuce in the fridge - voila - tacos.

Yes! But - you must keep the taco shells in a SEALED ZIPLOCK BAG. Otherwise they go stale in 12 hours.

I'm good at noodle casseroles with whatever is lying around the kitchen. Frozen peas, a stalk of broccoli, mushrooms that aren't fresh enough for a salad, a little bit of leftover parmesan cheese, that one leftover sausage or a couple strips of bacon.

I always have a big bag of wide egg noodles. I'll use milk and shredded cheese for the sauce, sometimes a little bit of cream of mushroom soup (NEVER the whole can!). You can change the seasoning to whatever you want - curry powder, paprika, basil/oregano.

Guin
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:07 PM
Ha! Thanks for triggering my PTSD. Simple, every day dinner my A$$!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Now, now, don't blame the chicken for your appliance failure!

The Washington Post food section has GREAT "quick dinner" recipes. Go here: http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2012/04/04/drunken-noodles-cashew-shiitake-broth/ (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2012/04/04/drunken-noodles-cashew-shiitake-broth/)
and search for "dinner in minutes." Also, a lot of the other posters' suggestions include things like boxed mac & cheese or canned "cream of" soups. Try not to use those - they are LOADED in sodium. If I have to use a "cream of" soup, I get the low-sodium version. Tastes just the same and won't give you high blood pressure.

ww3467
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
Red Quinoa-Avocado Salad
SERVES: 10

I have not yet tried this one, but I LOVE the Wegmans Lemon Vinaigrette. I think the whole thing will be tasty on a hot summer's day.

I have made this recipe before - it's definitely a tasty summer meal!

Guin
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:16 PM

La Creuset cast iron. Will last a lifetime. You can find them at Marshall's and the Williams-Sonoma outlet stores for significantly less than full price.

Leprechaun
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:30 PM
We do an easy potatoe hash with chicken apple sausage quite a bit. Clean the veggies out of the fridge and top with a poached egg. Good and 1/2 hour or less.

Also, Giada D. has a fabulous, fast creamless artichoke soup which we all love and is loaded with veggies too. Forget the marscapone, etc. Just the soup and good bread. It does need a hit of acid so we give it few dashes of tarragon vinegar but anything would work, lemon juice, etc.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:35 PM
For all of you with an iPad, you must buy an app called Paprika. It's the best recipe manager/shopping list thingy I've ever seen. You can just copy and paste from any site and click "Import Recipe" and it does it like magic—sorts, categorizes, you name it.

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:09 PM
I have made this recipe before - it's definitely a tasty summer meal!

Thanks for the thumbs up!

sophie
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:27 PM
Wow! I'm going to have to print this thread pronto, lots of great recipes!

We have many, many favorite dinners...these days tho, it's quick and easy, typically:

-Steamed artichokes with balsamic vinaigrette (French mustard, balsamic vinegar, chopped shallots, olive oil, garlic salt, pepper and herbs)

-big salad with marinated barbecued chicken strips (romaine hearts, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, avocado, almonds, arugula, endives....) with a dash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and lots of herbs from the garden (chopped chives, thyme, basil, rosemary, etc. etc)

If it's really cold out we make a soup (celeriac, leeks and potato, or sweet potato, apple and almond milk, etc. etc. )

I love food ;) and I am fortunate that hubby loves good food too AND loves to cook as well!

Tha Ridge
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:45 PM
So this doesn't fall in the super easy category, but I just made it and it's too delicious not to share:

Wilted Greens Salad with Squash, Apples, and Country Ham

10 cups fresh turnip or beet greens, or savoy spinach (about 2 bunches), bottom stems trimmed
2 tablespoons kosher salt plus more for seasoning
2 cups 1" cubes peeled butternut squash
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 ounces thinly sliced country ham or prosciutto, torn into pieces
1 apple, such as Braeburn or Fuji, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons buttermilk
Coarsely cracked whole black peppercorns
Preparation
Gently rub greens with 2 Tbsp. salt in a large bowl. Let stand, checking often, until the greens begin to release water and soften, about 15 minutes. Rinse in two changes of cold water. Squeeze greens dry and pat with a kitchen towel; transfer to a clean bowl.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Toss squash with 1 Tbsp. olive oil on prepared sheet; season with salt. Roast squash, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and tender, 20–25 minutes. Let cool.
Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add ham and cook until crisp, 1–2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Add squash, apple, shallot, lemon juice, and remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil to greens. Toss to combine; season to taste with salt. Divide evenly among plates. Drizzle with buttermilk. Arrange fried ham over. Season with cracked pepper.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/02/wilted-greens-salad-with-squash-apples-and-country-ham#ixzz1rPQeRrwX

We actually used collard greens as they were all I had but they still took to the salting perfectly. Love the idea of salting them rather than cooking—a lot more nutrients that way!

Jamie2337
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:52 AM
Cashew Chicken Casserole! So Yummy!

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup water chestnuts
1/4 cup shopped onion
2 10 1/2 ounce cans cream of chicken
2/3 cup chicken broth
4 cups diced cooked chicken
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup chow mein noodles
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup cashew nuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in soup and chicken broth. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken and soy sauce. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Spoon into a 9x13 inch baking dish and bake until liquid bubbles to the surface, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle noodles, green onions and cashews on top and brown in oven. Serves 6.

Foxtrot's
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:10 AM
This is the best part of Off Topic Day! :)

Paragon
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:22 AM
I make a chicken and bean dish that the family seems to love. It's ridiculously easy, low in fat, high in protein.

4 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans (I like a variety of beans, but you can use any)
1 can corn
as many diced veggies as I have in my fridge
1 packet taco seasoning

Dice the chicken and throw it into a large pan on the stove. Cook out all the salmonella. Rinse and drain the beans, add to the pan. Drain the corn, add to the pan. Add whatever vegetables I have left over from earlier in the week that need to get used up. Add a half cup water and the packet of seasoning. Stir occasionally over low heat until the beans are hot, but not so long that they turn to mush.

Easy to make, very filling. Kiddo will sometimes add tortilla chips to his, which is tasty. Can be put into taco shells or eaten out of a bowl as a thick chili. I usually get six servings or so out of this, and it reheats well.

And, for those who are counting, I figured up the rough nutrition info on this last time I made it. If split into six servings, you're looking at about 365 calories, 3.5g fat, 46g carbs, 34g protein.

OTV
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:18 AM
Mini Mexican Pizzas

- Anything for a crust that'll work and taste good. I've used 6 inch corn tortillas, pita breads, pizza crust (when doing a big pizza). Recently I'm using flat/thin buns as the crust.
- Refried beans
- Salsa
- Peppers (green, red, orange, whatever), diced
- Onion, diced
- Shredded cheese
- Avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce

Preheat oven to 400. Spread a layer of refried beans on the crust. I usually end up with close to 2-4 tbsp. Add 1-2 tbsp of salsa, then diced onion and pepper - however much you like. I usually load on the veggies. Sprinkle a little cheese on top and put into oven for ten - twelve minutes or until crust is brown and cheese is bubbly and melted. Top with a slice of avocado or guacamole and 1 tbsp of sour cream, and a sprinkle of hot sauce or jalapenos if you want it spicy. It's delicious! Like a cross between nachos and pizza!

I make mine vegan so no sour cream and only vegan cheese. The vegan version (with the flat bun) is only 250 calories. With a slice of avocado, it goes up to 300.