PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a gluten-free beer to recommend?

JoZ
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
Heading toward my first summer since removing wheat/gluten from my diet, I would love to know if anyone knows of a good beer that I can have?

j_feil
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
I've tried a few. I am not allergic, just in the name of curiosity. Few left an impression.

But try cider. And not the horrible sugary alcoholic juice you usually see, but the very well-crafted ciders. Ciders with tartness and complex flavors.

Here is a great list to start: http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeersByStyle.asp?StyleID=10

Although, be careful. IIRC, some have gluten-sensitivity-triggering ingredients.

Alagirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:51 PM
Brew your own....

Beer brewing is easy and fun and you can make what you want when you want it.
Most of it cheaper than store bought, especially specialties.

I am sure there are kits out there (all ingredients included, you just have to have the equipment) that cater to the non-gluten crowd.

i suppose you would have to go with rice then...

Beverley
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
I have tried Bard's and it was not bad.

My celiac BIL (who brews his own beer and is now working on some gluten free beers) told us that in Scandinavia most if not all of the beers are gluten free and delicious!

He likes one made in Colorado but I think it is only available in a few western states.

There's a Belgian one- Greens maybe? That I would try if it's available in US, only because I am of Belgian heritage and 'we' make the best beer.:cool:

Sister7
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
My BF is gluten intolerant and we have tried them all. Our favorite is New Grist sorghum beer. But it's still not that good. We switched to margaritas :)

Indy
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:38 AM
Definitely try ciders. There are a lot of varieties out there that are very good.

dangerbunny
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
There are some amazing ciders out there, definitely worth checking out. There is a pear cider I am particularly partial to, can't remember the name right now.

That being said I am also allergic to wheat and haven't had a reaction to dark beer, obviously staying away from wheat beers but the stuff I like to drink (stouts and porters) don't seem to bother me. Been gluten free for like nine years.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
A friend got me St. Peter's gluten free beer (sorghum, I think) as a gift. That's the best one I've ever had, definitely.

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:51 PM
Anheuser Busch makes Red Bridge, which can be found in a large number of "regular" grocery stores and distributors. Good, but nothing to write home about.

This one, however, is quite good...
http://newplanetbeer.com/homepage/
:yes: