PDA

View Full Version : The recipe thread: Vegetarian Concession Stand Fair.

Alagirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:20 PM
Aight, I am considering to take over management of the band's concession stand for football season (High School).

Since it is on the far side of the field, I am thinking there is a need for specialty dishes, the kind you wait all year to eat.

Also since it is High School, I am assuming there are a good number of 'vegetarians' around.

Anybody got some good ideas that can be whipped up for a concession stand?
(and peanut free...that's a whole nother head ache...)

noreins
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
Here's a recipe for some really great meatless chili (I leave out the soy chorizo - I preferred my chili with only beans before I became a vegan and it keeps costs down). You can make up a big batch and serve as it's ordered. Best part is that chili is such an easy dish to make vegetarian that you'll probably get some orders from omnivores as well!
http://chezcayenne.blogspot.com/2010/06/black-bean-chili.html
If you're going to have french fries and stuff like that, try to keep the fryers separate for meat and non-meat products. That way the fries are also vegetarian.
It's also really easy to make up/purchase some veggie burgers.
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/05/vegan-bean-burger-recipe.html

(Can you tell I enjoy black beans?)

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
LOL, black beans are delicious. I always throw some in my chilies, but mostly for color.

The friers are pretty much dedicated to fries, so no cross contamination there. The meat goes on the grill. :)

Thanks.

vacation1
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:39 AM
Obviously, all depends on taste, expertise, and facilities :) A range of suggestions: pasta salad, veggie wraps/pita pockets, tofu/veggie stir fry, black bean burritos, baked potatoes.

Re: the peanut thing, you might want to check with the school about details before taking on the responsibility for preparing food. What do you do if someone appears to be having a reaction, what are the signs you should look for, do they have epi-pens available, how far is the nearest hospital, etc. They probably have a policy, and they should have the equipment.

Alagirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:46 AM
The school is peanut free.
Absolute.

Now, I asked somebody because for a year the middle school had dropped that ban...Lo and behold, the kid with the severe allergy is graduating this year...I am waiting for the local college to start banning PB now :lol:

Not to get into it any deeper, but in high school, a person should have learned by now if a substance is potentially lethal, it's best to avoid it....

The facilities are spartan to say the least. Limited storage, and I am wondering how anything really is supposed to be cooked when it rains...we were incredibly lucky last season, except for the last two games it wasn't even cold and not a drop of rain.

vacation1
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:27 AM
Not to get into it any deeper, but in high school, a person should have learned by now if a substance is potentially lethal, it's best to avoid it....

Still, letting one suffocate for a mismunch seems a bit harsh;) Not you, the school - they should have an epi-pen somewhere.