PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic holidays

vineyridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:30 PM
Both Presidents' Day and Sadie Hawkins Day (Feb. 29th) were not Off Topic holidays. I don't think MLK Day was either.

What's the criterion for a holiday warranting an Off Topic forum?

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
How much drinking is estimated to take place.

sophie
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:33 PM

hahaha!
As good a reason as any! And no, I'm not Irish not do I have any Irish ancestors...I'm just happy to see Off Topic day!

Traum
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
Or how batSh!t crazy the locals are getting with the train-wreck of the month :D I think they do it to let everyone blow off some steam. This wreck was a doozy!

stolen virtue
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Or how batSh!t crazy the locals are getting with the train-wreck of the month :D I think they do it to let everyone blow off some steam. This wreck was a doozy!

Which one ?

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
They Fuzzy Navel thread, probably.

stolen virtue
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
I was thinking of the "Touching other people's horses" thread.

LauraKY
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
You mean this one? I think it's pretty much in a class by itself. Thirty pages. If not for the foreign house guest, it might still be going on.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345139

stolen virtue
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
I was just reading that one....wow ! I guess I better not tell how my 19 year old reacts to his bucket......

LauraKY
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
stolen virtue, you need to read the whole thread. Really you do.

littleum
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:28 PM

QFT.

Chall
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:51 PM

Yes, sometimes I think that's exactly why. It's kinda scary how prescient the mods are here usually. Although I would have shut down the pile-ons on that thread earlier, but I have only myself to blame for checking in on it.

Coanteen
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
stolen virtue, you need to read the whole thread. Really you do.

Gah, I really wanted to comment and it got closed. The lady's fruitbat for sure, but the "inappropriate care" incesty-vibe commentary re: pilonidal cyst excision was getting to me. If your pilonidal surgical site needs packing, it's gonna be your SO or parent or child (if it's an adult child and parent is affected) who does it. Unless you can get a home care nurse for that, and that's not so common because it's an unnecessary expense for something that really isn't that difficult as long as there's someone around who can do it. Having parents do the packing for adult kids is super common in my experience, since it's not something you can do yourself.

Now, having the parents write about it online is fruitbatness to the nth degree.

stolen virtue
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
Actually, I don't typically read those posts or the horse abuse posts. I also think this place is really great for help and I have received plenty and I am thankfull.

Dad Said Not To
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
Gah, I really wanted to comment and it got closed. The lady's fruitbat for sure, but the "inappropriate care" incesty-vibe commentary re: pilonidal cyst excision was getting to me. If your pilonidal surgical site needs packing, it's gonna be your SO or parent or child (if it's an adult child and parent is affected) who does it. Unless you can get a home care nurse for that, and that's not so common because it's an unnecessary expense for something that really isn't that difficult as long as there's someone around who can do it. Having parents do the packing for adult kids is super common in my experience, since it's not something you can do yourself.

Now, having the parents write about it online is fruitbatness to the nth degree.

I think it was less the immediate post-surgical care and more the weekly shaving session that prompted the reactions.

Laurierace
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Not a single thing wrong with doing post op care whatever it entails. Big freaking problem writing about it on the internet. If you can't trust your Mom to STFU who can you trust?

Coanteen
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
I think it was less the immediate post-surgical care and more the weekly shaving session that prompted the reactions.

Open healing (the type that needs packing) after pilonidal excision has a mean duration of 40-80 days, with well over 100 days being easily possible. In an area that most people can't effectively reach on their own. This isn't a matter of "immediate" post-surgical case, it's long haul care.

I fully agree that posting about it (and using her poor son's name...and posting pictures/video of him in other forums when it's clearly easy to connect her postings) is horrific.

Dad Said Not To
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
And so I learned something today. ;)

But again, I'll say that I think that the reaction was prompted not so much by the post-surgical care, no matter the duration, but more by the ongoing care (which was quite likely medically unnecessary or even contraindicated) that she took upon herself, continuing long after the surgical site was healed over.

Put another way: If my BF (only person that I live with) developed a pilonidal cyst, I'd do the packing changes for as long as they were needed. But there's no way I'd shave his butt on a weekly basis for years after the surgical site had healed because it was thought that being hairy had contributed to the development of said cyst.

Coanteen
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
I agree - shaving if anything would make things worse because of ingrown hair (ouch). Hell, if you think it's connected, laser that crack!

Laurierace
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
Again, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking care of someone you care about regardless of what that entails. We all pretty much turn back into infants if we live long enough so some of the tasks can be pretty gross but you gotta do what you gotta do. You do not have to tell the whole world what you did and when however. That is the disgusting part to me.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hell, if you think it's connected, laser that crack!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. :uhoh: Not funny if you're the sort who has chronically ingrown hairs in your a%%c%$#k, but, "laser that crack!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I feel as though I should be using that as some sort of life re-affirming rallying cry. :yes:

nasalberry
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
I feel as though I should be using that as some sort of life re-affirming rallying cry. :yes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Or a great sig line.