PDA

View Full Version : I did it!

To the MAX
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to share...I'm very proud of myself. Finished my very first half marathon today! I signed up in November then proceeded NOT to train at all. I have been doing the Insanity program so I'm getting into decent shape, but I was still worried I wouldn't be able to finish. Well, I did it. Slowly, an average pace of 12.15 min/mile, and I had to walk from mile 11 to 12. But the last 1.1 miles I really pushed myself and finished strong. I still can't believe I just ran 13.1 miles. Stuffing my face with Italian food now. Happy St. Patty's Day!

jumpingmaya
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
YEA!! Congrats... I'm thinking of signing up for one as well...
Never done one... but I'm tempted!
Congrats on finishing!! :)

glfprncs
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
I started running in October and ran my first half on Feb. 26th...signed up for another on April 14th when I was still reveling in the 'post half marathon is done' euphoria. I'll back off on my running after that as it's just too flipping hot in South Carolina to run long lengths during the summer (in my opinion), just run 4-6 miles a few days per week and, perhaps, run more halfs (or a full) in the fall.

Props to you for finishing...will you do another?

Lone
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
That's awesome! Congrats!

I'm signed up for my first 5k next weekend and am really excited about it. I'm hoping to be ready for a half sometime this fall.

ohrebecca
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
Congrats!!! You're amazing!!! I've long wanted to do that but have always wimped out of it, and now I'm growing a baby. I still might get back into my slow running, but I don't want to push anything and hardcore train.

Are you planning on doing more now?

Polydor
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
Congrats! It has been on my mind the last little while but haven't managed to find any races relatively close by yet.

P.

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
Holy crap...good for you!!!!

I couldn't run a 1/100th marathon!

To the MAX
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks all! I think I may do another one...possibly in the fall. I know I can do much better on my time.
I know for a fact that I will NEVER do anything over 13.1 miles. I think I'd like to do a 10 miler because I was feeling really good up until that point. The most I had run before this - ever - was a 10k.

Eleanor
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
Congrads! I so wish I had the drive to do one, but I know I am to lazy to do it. Doesn't help that I have a health problem and would need to be extra careful. I am working on getting back into better shape.

Mukluk
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:57 AM
Congratulations- that's a significant distance!!! Hooray for you!!!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:15 AM
Congrats- that is an awesome accomplishment!

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
Awesome! I'm signed up to run my first Half Marathon in May ... I am training, but since I am more than twice your age, it is only prudent that I do so. ;)

Arcadien
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Congrats!! That's the fun part - after the big run you can pretty much eat anything for few days as your body gobbles calories to recover :D

I did two marathons way back but I don't think my knees can hold up to that kind of training & distance again -

Thinking of targeting a half, and using P90x/Insantity to prepare instead of logging miles - glad to hear from your experience it works!

Enjoy that post race glow, you earned it!!!

glfprncs
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
Just finished up 10 miles in preparation for my next one in 4 weeks. I have to say, running the half 3 weeks ago (and then jumping back into running after a week of easy,short runs) made running 10 miles today almost easy!

I'm able to train for the half distance only running 3 days/week. I do 2 short runs on Tuesday and Friday...Tuesday is a pace run of 3 miles where I try to run a 8-9 minute mile and then I follow that up with another 2 miles of running up hills, walking down, rinse repeat. Friday is a 4-5 mile run, depending on how my legs feel and Sunday is the long slow run.

I lift weights on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays and I've found that all of the squats and lunges with weights have really helped my ability to get up the hills.

PiaffePlease
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:42 PM
Congrats! Thats a huge accomplishment!

eventerdiva
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
Congrats! I usually say the only time you'll see me running is if I'm being chased. With a knife. A big one....

That being said, I'm going to start couch25k tomorrow... We shall see how that will go... I know i will never get to the half marathon point though!

MediaMD
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
Congratulations...It's amazing what we can do sometimes when we put our minds to it, isn't it?!

I know it sounds crazy but once you do a couple more half marathons you may even feel like training for a full. I did a full for my 50th birthday and yes I was V E R Y Slow but at least I finished before they picked up the orange cones.LOL

I'm a fervent believer in the "Start slow and taper off" method of running/walking but the way glfprncs does it is certainly the most correct and best.

This last half in January I did very little training because (she flushes in embarrassment) I have bursitis in my hip. I thought this is it-- I have officially become my grandmother! arrrg. But Celebrex is a very good drug albeit expensive and even though I did more walking than running I finished in a reasonable time. The key for me is going slow.

The other great thing about going to races is you meet all these middle-aged "non-athletic looking" people who turn out to have done like 35 marathons..it's pretty crazy. People in their 80s who have done dozens of marathons on 5 continents and are addicted to them! Truly inspiring.

So don't overly stress about training seriously unless you are hoping to place in your age group--you'll be surprised at how fit you can get just walking and it doesn't wreck your joints as much.

Best of luck