PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people bring their dogs into stores...?

GypsyQ
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
And not supervise them? Why is it necessary to bring your dog into Lowe's, or Home Depot, or Southern States? Does your mastiff have a better eye for lumber than you? Is your cocker telling you what seeds to buy for the garden?

Yes, this is mostly a vent.
We went to Southern States today (farm & garden store, for those not familiar). DH, DS (who is nearly 3), and myself. DS sees a neat keychain on a man's belt and reaches for it. DH has him by the hand, pulls him away, and apologizes to the man. I also apologize. Man says it's fine, everyone moves on.

While we're there, a couple comes in with a cocker spaniel on a leash. They talk with an associate, and the dog goes over to visit someone else. It jumps up his leg for love. The man pets it and dog moves on to another and another person begging for love. The owners thought it was great that the dog was so friendly. The dog came over to me while I was checking out, sniffing my shoes and getting underfoot. I stepped around it to get out. DH kept DS from getting too close to strange dog.

Okay, the actual vent is twofold.
One: Not everyone loves kids or wants to deal with them. We do our best not to force them to deal with ours. We try to anticipate problems before they start, and apologize if we're not quick enough. Not everyone likes dogs. It is a stretch (in my mind) to bring a dog into a store that does not specifically welcome them. Like PetSmart. A leash does not mean your dog is under control. It is simply a means of control. Watch your dog.

Two: A store not specifically dog-friendly means other customers may not have doggy's best interests in mind. Case in point: I happened to slip on the sneakers that I often wear to work - At the Pound. I do NOT wear them if I plan on contacting other dogs. I don't know what could be there, and I don't know if their dog is vaccinated. That is why I got away from it as quickly as I could. If I knew I was going to meet other dogs, I would have grabbed other shoes.

Three: So there is a third point. ;)
There were bins full of bunnies, guinea pigs, and chicks. If I had been that complacent with my dogs, there would have been fewer squeak toys in the world.

So, yes. I need to make better wardrobe plans to accomodate for others.
I don't expect you to love my kid. Don't expect me to love your dog. If I want to pet it, I will ask.

cranky
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Gee, I was thinking the same thing about people with their children at Target today.

Epona142
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
Four legged or two, people need to control their wee ones ;)

mercedespony
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
I travel with my dog. Because I take her with me, out and about, she is vaccinated to the max, including kennel cough.

A garden/home renovation store is somewhere I would bring my dog. Once I'm in, I am almost always there for hours. My dog is behaved, on leash, and no further than 2 feet from me. Not necessarily my dd when she was a 3 year old kid. I couldn't put the kid on a leash.

You issue seems to be with supervision. I think one can argue, with either kids or dogs, it all comes back to the parent, no?

sophie
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'm more annoyed by screaming, obnoxious kids than by dogs.

My father always takes his dog to restaurants. (he asks first...) lol

veetiepony
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
I thought it was funny when the owner of a pawn store we were in had a little dog that went around lifting his leg on everything, including an amp and musical instruments.

Burbank
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:30 PM
I take my dog to stores sometimes, its good socialization and lets me run errands while spending time with my pups

in fact the very first day we adopted our doberman on the way back home we went in Tractor Supply with both dogs and picked her out a kennel and it was nice to let her get in one to make sure the size would be good

I keep an eye on them and keep them on a short leash but responsible is responsible whether with kids or pets

Event4Life
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
haha welcome to Europe...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=605521628161&l=3f81d2bcae that is perfectly normal. In Paris the other day I even saw a woman take a handbag dog into the changing rooms with her.

Personally I feel like most dogs would probably rather be at home than in clothes stores with their owners, or left tied outside. I dunno, just doesn't seem very fair.

CosMonster
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
edit to respond to the post above mine: I hate it when people leave dogs tied outside. I try not to do that for longer than a minute, and only then when absolutely necessary. I think it's uncomfortable for most dogs and a lot of people who have to walk by them too.

I take my dogs into stores all the time. Heck, I take my dogs into my local bank branch, because they've specifically invited me to. ;)

For me, it's often a matter of the dog's comfort. I usually have a dog with me, and while he's fine being left in the car, during the summer it's too hot, and it's just nicer to take him with me if I can. I mean, I'll leave him at home if I'm mostly going to be at places where dogs are not welcome, but most of my clients are okay with my one dog coming with me, so if I'm running errands between work stops, or going to 3 stores and 2 are explicitly pet-friendly (like sometimes I'll drive an hour to the nearest Petsmart and a dog-friendly specialty feed store, and also stop at Home Depot while I'm in the city), it's just nicer to bring him in the store with me.

He's well-trained and stays with me though. I only let him approach people if they invite him. There's really not an excuse for having a rude dog in public outside of training classes, or for having a dog in public and not paying close attention to it. That's the trade off--it's fun to have your dog with you, but you always have to pay attention.

Beverley
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
I take my dogs here and there, from time to time. Particularly, just now, the recently rescued terrier, good training and socialization, and he learns that no, when we go for a car ride he isn't going to get dumped somewhere.

But, whether in a store, or on a walk, they are on leash, not allowed to jump up on folks, well behaved. And not petted unless people ask first.

My peeve is, of course, the other idjits who don't control their dogs and kids! But no different, really, than the idjits that think it's 'cute' to let their horse go nose to nose with yours.

Bacardi1
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
I LOVE the signs outside of Petco & PetSmart stores that say "Your leashed & vaccinated pets are always welcome here". Like - how do they check that every yahoo walking into the store with their dog has been vaccinated. Gotta love that.

CosMonster
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:27 PM
I used to work at a Petsmart and it's meant as a polite way of saying, "Please DON'T bring your filthy, wild, unvaccinated creature in here!" :lol:

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Can't speak for others, but I do it because I live on a fairly remote farm and otherwise my dogs won't get socialized. So I take them to TSC and Lowe's and whereever else welcomes dogs. Or doesn't specifically forbid them.

No, they're not allowed to accost random strangers. Cause y'know the whole point is to teach the dog how to behave around people s/he doesn't live with.

I guess a lot of people agree with the OP, though. I remember when shopping malls were great places to socialize one's dogs. Back before people got so damned twitchy about encountering dogs in stores.

dangerbunny
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
I don't mind when people have well behaved pets in stores like TSC or petsmart. I often take my dog into TSC and let her pick out her own treat.

I used to work at a feed store and once a lady brought her large dog in, he crapped on the floor (huge messy runny poo) and she looked the other way until he was done and then bought he stuff and left without telling any employees or asking for something to clean it up with. I found out the poo was there after another customer told me and I had to clean it up, it was awful.

Bacardi1
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
I used to work at a Petsmart and it's meant as a polite way of saying, "Please DON'T bring your filthy, wild, unvaccinated creature in here!" :lol:

Yeah - but you know that that ain't happening. I'd NEVER EVER bring my dog into a PetSmart or PetCo. Yes, my dogs are vaccinated & friendly, but Good Lord, there's a heckuva lot of upper respiratory crap that dogs (& cats) can pick up in places like this. And you don't know that every animal has been vaccinated for Lord Know's What.

While I love the idea of my dogs meeting & greeting - it ain't gonna happen at a PetCo/PetSmart.

rmh_rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
Umm, because they are co-dependent with their dogs?

I seriously doubt the dogs "enjoy" the shopping experience.

Yes, I am a dog person. Have shown dogs too.

Good question OP.

furlong47
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have a dog, he is considered a family member, and I love all animals. But it seems like a lot of people feel like they are entitled to take their dog wherever they want and allow it to run around loose.

Stores like Petco or Petsmart that allow pets - fine. I won't take my dog there, but I don't mind if other people want to do that. I expect when I shop there that dogs might be present.

Lowe's or Home Depot? Why would you bring your pet there? Most stores have signs posted at the door which clearly state animals are not allowed with the exception of service animals (as it should be.)

I spend a lot of time outside in parks, and there too I see plenty of dogs off leash which shouldn't be. (There is a leash law or a park leash requirement.) I don't want to be chased and I don't want to be almost bowled over or trip over your pet. There are designated off-leash areas. Use those.

I don't mind pets. I do mind people who don't follow the rules or think they are above the rules.

ohrebecca
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:01 PM

Good question OP.

Haha I was totally going to say the co-dependent thing but didn't want to get flamed for it. Dog lover, dog owner here. Dog doesn't go shopping with me. At the bookstore I worked at, several people brought in their (non-helper) dogs. Annoyed the crap out of me.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Lowe's or Home Depot? Why would you bring your pet there? Most stores have signs posted at the door which clearly state animals are not allowed with the exception of service animals (as it should be.)

Lowe's and Home Depot don't have those signs. The reason many people bring their dogs there is that those style buildings are very like the ones used for indoor shows.

Maybe you have heard the term "school more, whine less"?

Epona142
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:11 PM

Good question OP.

If you want to get down to it, could say the same about kids. ;)

Most kids don't really enjoy going shopping unless it's the toy store, eh? I was one once, I remember.

Of course, can't just lock little Johnny up in a crate at home either...hmm.

:lol:

MoonoverMississippi
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
Having worked in a home improvement store in the past, I have a few points from a seldom-considered viewpoint:

Not every associate loves pets and wants to "babysit" yours while you are busy discussing important details of your purchase (yep, was "asked" multiple times, and the customer is "always" within their rights to expect that, according to them). If you ask, many places will say "of course they can come in", which actually usually means "I'd really rather you didn't, but you're the customer so I can't tell you that if I want my job". I LOVE pets, but most stores are not equipped or safe for them, with the exception of pet stores, etc.

What about employees and other customers who may have serious phobias or allergies? We had employees that could not continue to work in their departments while customers with pets were in that department due to severe allergies (notably departments where the customer requires a good amount of time to pick out their purchases: paint, kitchen, carpeting, etc., are the ones that seem to attract people with pets), and I personally witnessed a terrorized child who had had previous bad experiences with dogs have a serious meltdown (not her fault, she was really that freaked out, and who expects a big dog in the plumbing aisle?). Not to mention no employees' duties included potty patrol, and those big stores seem to make dogs bladder control fail with amazing regularity, about the same time their owners either giggle and say "oopsie", or develop selective eyesight).

Many people seem to think the garden department is a perfect place to take pets. I could guarantee that Fido was walking through spilt chemicals (those bags of fertilizers, weed killers, etc. were always leaking all over the place), many of which are labeled hazardous to domestic animals. And then they lick their feet when it begins to irritate them. If Fluffy seems a bit "off" after a trip to the garden center that may be why.

Certain stores, such as home improvement ones, often have sharp edges on things at pet level, unhealthy items dropped by other customers (screws, nails, rat poison, etc.) and other hazards to your pets.

Lastly, importantly, it never fails that the type of owners that notice you bringing your dog in and feeling completely righteous in doing the same are the ones who do not maintain control, who leave messes or chewed on items in their wakes, etc. Unfortunately, your well-behaved pets mean plenty of nasty ones follow (seriously, who thinks it's okay to bring a massive, pissed off Rottie into a crowded store? Yep, saw that one, too.)

That said, if you have the choice of leaving a pet in a hot vehicle or dangerous area or bringing it in, for heaven's sake, bring it in!

.......I just noticed that most of the above also apply equally to ill-behaviored children, too. Strange, that.

rmh_rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
Haha I was totally going to say the co-dependent thing but didn't want to get flamed for it. Dog lover, dog owner here. Dog doesn't go shopping with me. At the bookstore I worked at, several people brought in their (non-helper) dogs. Annoyed the crap out of me.

Ha ha, flame away. Glad we think the same.

I LOVE dogs, have two that sleep with us at night. But when I go to petco yes there will be dogs there, but I just really do not want to talk to your dog. I do not think he is cute as you think he/she is. Maybe I got that way from showing at so many dog shows.

Also, I would never go up to somebody and actively on my own want to interact with their human child. Or, want somebody to come up to me and expect me to interact with their human child.

I don't mind dogs in stores at all actually. They are usually 99.999999% better behaved than the humans there.

twadwis
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Dogs of all sizes and ages, on the floor, on the bleaches and 'cuddled' (ugg) on laps.....how about a huge mastiff cross, (skinny no less) paraded through the crowd......sure, they are mostly on leash but come on, keep your dammed dog at home and for sure don't try to sell it to me with some sob story....:mad:
Can you tell I spent the day at a horse auction, crowded, noisy and hot....the poor dogs, a yapping pug trying to show it would like to be somewhere else, a drooling spaniel....only topped by the vision of a Mom wiping the poopy butt of her kid, on the bleacher next to us.
Yes, I have dogs, even take them places where they are WELCOME and it make sense for a dog to even be there.

jenct
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:40 PM
Around Christmas time, a woman and her yorkie were in Lord and Taylor. She held the dog, but while I was standing behind her and her stinky dog (boy did it need a bath) at the check-out counter, she let her dog stand on the counter. That is where I would place my new items to buy! Yuck. :eek: I seriously don't get people that think it is okay to bring their dogs into stores! It is a pet-peeve of mine.

I am a dog owner and dog lover and I enjoy seeing dogs out at feed stores, parks, & out on walks. Pet stores are one thing - "people" stores are another.

Miss T
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
The timing in this topic is quite strange. I started reading this, then checked out what was on TV. Now listening to a CBC doc asking why people are so crazy about their dogs.
I love dogs - don't have one now due to living situation. But I don't really like them in non-pet stores. But kids are much worse.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Personally I feel like most dogs would probably rather be at home than in clothes stores with their owners, or left tied outside. I dunno, just doesn't seem very fair.

You think? I take my dog virtually every where except for sit-down restaurants. He's shopped in everywhere from Bergdorf-Goodman to the corner bodega to the bookstore and I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that he is much happier going those places with me than being left home alone.

He is little, and well-behaved. Happy to sit quiet when I ask him to and happy to enjoy pats from the non-curmudgeonly people who enjoy seeing a happy little dog out and about. (It is quite commonplace to see dogs in "people" stores here, of all kinds. Of course, I do think NYC is quite different, as you don't exactly load your dog up in a care to take them places—it's more like, "Oh, I'm walking the dog, but I really need to pop into CVS for some shampoo.")

springer
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
My 10 yr old corgi, who is VERY attached to me, would rather come to town with me (which usually means waiting in the car) than sit at home alone. So I love stores like Lowe's that actually welcome dogs. He rides in the shopping cart and just loves all the attention. One reason I will never shop at Home Depot. Lowes allows dogs, Home Depot doesn't.

DeeThbd
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:43 PM
So as a cat owner will all of you welcome me with open arms if I decide to bring a cat shopping, to a restaurant, etc? :)

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
We had a plethora of "odd" pets when I was younger. And by odd, I mean odd. Various snakes, lizards, arachnids of all types and sizes...skunks, coons, squirrels, an armadillo, fox...well you name it we might have had it, LOL!

Betting dollars to donuts had I brought a tarantula into a store with me other pet-centric owners wouldn't find it as endearing as my weird-ass family did. :D

Specialness is in the eye of the owner. Your pets? Only special to YOU. And it's not a fur-child.

And unless y'all have video of your home interior you might not know how content your pet is to be home alone. :winkgrin:

Pets in pet-type places don't bother me. Pets everywhere? Doesn't bother *me* but I know it does bother lots of other people. Saw more than one person have a massive allergy attack due to some seperation-anxiety laden owner needing to bring their pseudo-child in places they do not belong. Places someone with serious animal allergies have every right to expect there to NOT be canines present.

Someone's health is hella lot more important than someone else's dog's feelings. At least IMO.

vacation1
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
All the "what about kids?!" remarks - really? I love my dog, have no children, and really have no particular need to defend parental rights, but come on, now. People, even small and loud and irritating mini-people, have rights which do not pertain to dogs.

Lowe's and Home Depot don't have those signs. The reason many people bring their dogs there is that those style buildings are very like the ones used for indoor shows.

:lol: I'm not following that logic. I mean, there's a restaurant in Philly that used to be a bank, and people don't keep turning up with checkbooks, looking confused. Are dog show people really that innocent, or are you implying their dogs keep leading them there?

Tha Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:00 PM
Pets in pet-type places don't bother me. Pets everywhere? Doesn't bother *me* but I know it does bother lots of other people. Saw more than one person have a massive allergy attack due to some seperation-anxiety laden owner needing to bring their pseudo-child in places they do not belong. Places someone with serious animal allergies have every right to expect there to NOT be canines present.

Someone's health is hella lot more important than someone else's dog's feelings. At least IMO.

Then the issue needs to be taken up with the stores that allow them, not the pet owners themselves.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
:lol: I'm not following that logic. I mean, there's a restaurant in Philly that used to be a bank, and people don't keep turning up with checkbooks, looking confused. Are dog show people really that innocent, or are you implying their dogs keep leading them there?

I think the poster meant that having the dogs in buildings like that is more of a conditioning exercise to get the dog used to being in a big, airy space. (Or at least that's what I read it as. Not unlike taking a horse to school in a neighbor's indoor arena before going to a show.)

oldenmare
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
LOL. No kids - teenage SD who behaves in public so no worries there. No tantrums as she knows I'd embarass her worse!

I don't drag my dogs everywhere - once in a while, will take one into Lowe's if she's with me (vet, whatever - don't like to leave her in car if unnecessary).

But speaking of allergies - I once had someone reprimand me about having my dog with me (dog was in a crate, not out, and not in "public") as she had allergies (she chose to be near me, probably to start something) - so I pointed out that I also had extreme allergies and her PERFUME really reeked! She was not amused. I, however, was.

And this topic could go on forever, but the whole allergy thing brought that back to mind.

mg
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
It would never even occur to me to bring my dog into any store other than a pet store like Petco, etc. I have never seen a dog inside of a Lowe's or Home Depot around here and I would be totally baffled if I did. My dog spends plenty of time with me; I don't need to take him shopping with me too.

Trakehner
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:22 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! A winner! ;)

These same people will demand we get over them bringing their dogs to the barn (but that's another train wreck) and should just put up with them...or do we hate dogs?

And Mistyblues wisdom: "Specialness is in the eye of the owner. Your pets? Only special to YOU. And it's not a fur-child"

Somehow these owners don't understand why their dog peeing on things isn't seen as "cute" or the dreaded, "It's natural" excuse.

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well then by all means bring the dogs to buildings that will condition the dogs for future shows. :yes:

Home Depot here is the size of many show venues that have multiple indoor rings. I think I'll haul Petey and Sonny there and canter up and down the aisles. :D

Stores won't always tell a dog person to not bring their pets inside. Why? Customer is always right is part of it. A lot more of it is dog people who would even ask or attempt to bring their dogs into a business that's not canine related are very very very apt to cause quite a scene if denied entrance with their pet.

As I stated...I have zero personal issues with dogs or dogs in stores. I do understand social awareness though and try to do what's best for society as a whole. I'm kinda funny that way. :winkgrin:

I have a permit for carry...I don't carry everywhere because I can. Why? I'm a small person. Carrying isn't always concealed as much as it should be on me. The sight of a weapon makes plenty of people wary or nervous. As a polite member of society, I try to not alarm folks if it's not necessary. :D
Okay, so my personality might alarm them. But that's not removeable and it goes everywhere with me, LOL!

But something that might cause a serious allergic reaction or even an hour of physical discomfort to others? Of course I wouldn't put the onus on the store owner by waiting for them to tell me no. I just wouldn't do it. My attachment to my pet does not trump someone else's physical discomfort.

Notice I'm not saying my pet is less important. I'm saying my attachment to my pet. The pet can wait in the car for a short time while I shop. I'll even bring it a treat.

I also don't wander into public with the flu and try spreading that around.

The world is a kinder place when we consider others before ourselves.

vacation1
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:48 PM
Home Depot here is the size of many show venues that have multiple indoor rings. I think I'll haul Petey and Sonny there and canter up and down the aisles. :D

That would be cool. As a veteran of the Long Trek through those stores, though, I have to say, the footing sucks.

Barnfairy
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
The store I work in not only allows dogs, but has a resident cat.

You don't have to pet the cat if you don't want to, however, I have no choice but to handle merchandise/credit cards/money immediately after it was touched by germy customers. And I can't even put up a sign that says "vaccinated and well behaved customers are always welcome" as a way of asking that sick and/or unruly people stay home. "The world is a kinder place when we consider others before ourselves", indeed. ;)

BabyGoose
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Because they think everybody loves their dog and wants to associate with it. Petsmart, Petco, I can live with. But Home Depot, Lowes, other stores that are not pet related, NO! Personally, when I go shopping in any store, petstores and feedstores included, I would rather not deal with other peoples dogs. I know there are responsible owners out there that keep their pets on a close leash and don't let them slobber, sniff, and jump on people, but most dog owners don't. Then they get mad when you don't fawn all over their dog. Oh you must HATE dogs. Or you are just a crabby bitch. I like dogs. On my terms. And why should every store have to post signs No Dogs Allowed. It should just be common courtesy to the general public not to take a dog into stores. I also get irritated at people bringing dogs to our local farmers market. It is an outdoor market, but it gets very crowded. Sometimes it is hard to walk through all the crowds. Then add to it people with ill behaved dogs sticking their nose in your business and fighting with other dogs. In those tight quarters, a dog could easily get stepped on and possibly bite in response, and some of the dogs looked very stressed being drug through a huge crowd of people.

lcw579
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
So as a cat owner will all of you welcome me with open arms if I decide to bring a cat shopping, to a restaurant, etc? :)

If it was a well behaved cat.....

I used to walk up to our little town and bring my standard poodle with me. She was happy to sit outside for a minute if I was running into a store to buy something. However, often the shopkeepers would see me telling her to wait and they would welcome her inside. She came in the bookstore, the gift shop, the shoe repair place (he always had biscuits so all the dogs stop there), the bank (biscuits) and the hardware store (more dog biscuits). She was a very good dog who stayed right by my side, never had an accident (how undignified) and would never think of greeting another person first.

The little rescue mutt I have now doesn't go inside anywhere with me. Not even the pet supply store. He is a nervous wreck and would much rather sit in the car or stay home.

I have no problem with well behaved pets out and about. And that includes the parrots, rats and other occasional odd animals I've seen around town.

Murphy's Mom
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'll bring my dog into Petsmart, the two local farm stores, Les Schwab (tires), or the local family owned hardware store (they keep treats for the dogs and the manager once spent 20 minutes talking with me about my dog because he liked her so much). Usually the dog is with me because we've been to the vet or a training class. I'm 20 miles from town so I'm not going to drop the dog off at home and then drive back into town. And, since I live in the desert, it's much too hot most of the year to leave a dog in the car even for five minutes.

My dogs are very well trained (multiple obedience titles) and I never let them approach another person unless that person has asked to pet them. I use it as an opportunity to educated people, especially kids, about my chosen breed and about safety around strange dogs - like the time my dog broke from a sit-stay as I was writing a check and I turned to find a toddler face to face with him yanking on his ears. The mother was clueless that not all dogs may like her sweetikins doing this. :eek:

When I'm at Les Schwab getting new tires or having tires rotated my dog just curls up under the chair and goes to sleep. Most people don't even realize I have a dog with me until I get up to leave. I hate it though when I see some clueless idiot with their dog on a flexi-lead dragging them around a store or jumping on people. I've brought my goats into Petsmart before (Santa pictures) and even they are better trained than some people's dogs (or kids).

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
But something that might cause a serious allergic reaction or even an hour of physical discomfort to others? Of course I wouldn't put the onus on the store owner by waiting for them to tell me no. I just wouldn't do it. My attachment to my pet does not trump someone else's physical discomfort.

Going by this logic, I'd assume that you think anyone who flies with their small animal in the cabin is inconsiderate and causing discomfort to others.

Like I said: it's on the store owner/business/what have you to decide whether or not they allow pets. Most, at least here in NYC, have signs stating explicitly if they do not. (And my dog has never pissed on anything, anywhere we've been.)

DeeThbd
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
If it was a well behaved cat.....

I used to walk up to our little town and bring my standard poodle with me. She was happy to sit outside for a minute if I was running into a store to buy something. However, often the shopkeepers would see me telling her to wait and they would welcome her inside. She came in the bookstore, the gift shop, the shoe repair place (he always had biscuits so all the dogs stop there), the bank (biscuits) and the hardware store (more dog biscuits). She was a very good dog who stayed right by my side, never had an accident (how undignified) and would never think of greeting another person first.

The little rescue mutt I have now doesn't go inside anywhere with me. Not even the pet supply store. He is a nervous wreck and would much rather sit in the car or stay home.

I have no problem with well behaved pets out and about. And that includes the parrots, rats and other occasional odd animals I've seen around town.

I think there is a big difference between knowing that a business is pet-friendly and frequenting them with your pet, vs. expecting or assuming that all places will welcome a pet with open arms. Up here, more and more public venues are clearly asking pet owners to keep their pets at home ie heritage festivals, community events, etc. Added to the noise and crowds is the fact that a lot of them are held in the hot summer, where there just aren't cooling facilities available - and I don't think a trickle from a water bottle is enough for a dog on a hot day.
Former friend took it to an extreme - she would go riding down busy roads ponying her other horse and had her dog on a flexi leash at the same time. Dog was a sweet dog, but I still thought it risky behaviour. Stopped hanging with her when we had made plans to attend an auction for a couple of hours and she showed up at our meeting place (we had lunch plans as well) with her good-sized dog crated in the back of the truck and said we had to change our plans because of the dog. Same dog was perfectly fine at home when she worked an 8 hour shift, so why the need to bring it with her to someplace she knew it wasn't going to be able to enjoy itself?
Dee

Wholehearted
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
I bring my dog with me to a lot of places, mostly just Home Depot and Petsmart but when I first got him I took him with me (in his carrier, not loose) to Wal-Mart.

I know he'd be happier at home, but he's a very shy dog and we don't have people over often so I use these public interactions to build his confidence and show him that he can ignore people, not everyone is going to pet him. In public, he's very well behaved. He stays right by me and doesn't bother anyone else.

I also have the issues where I have to move frequently. As in cross-country and by myself. No way can I leave my dog in the car on a hot summer day and I'm really not comfortable tying him up outside. Who knows what mischief he or passing people could get into. Logically then, it makes sense for me to bring my well-behaved dog into stores.

Not every dog is going to be well-behaved, but then, neither are a lot of the children I see (hence why I have a dog...).

GypsyQ
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
You issue seems to be with supervision. I think one can argue, with either kids or dogs, it all comes back to the parent, no?

I take my dogs here and there, from time to time. Particularly, just now, the recently rescued terrier, good training and socialization, and he learns that no, when we go for a car ride he isn't going to get dumped somewhere.

But, whether in a store, or on a walk, they are on leash, not allowed to jump up on folks, well behaved. And not petted unless people ask first.

My peeve is, of course, the other idjits who don't control their dogs and kids! But no different, really, than the idjits that think it's 'cute' to let their horse go nose to nose with yours.

Yes, my issue is with the supervision of the dogs more than people bringing dogs with them. I love dogs. I love my dogs and taking them places, too. I don't assume that everyone else will love my dog. I also see the worst of the worst in dogs on a regular basis and do not feel the need to touch every dog in the world to find out personally how nice, soft, healthy, etc. it may be. This was mostly a vent. I know those not blessed with the common sense god gave a flea will not change any time soon.

UnoIsMyHorse
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
I take my dog into pet stores and Lowe's and Home Depot. My dog has his canine good citizen and competes in rally and obedience.

Taking him into stores with me is an excellent way to proof distractions. He is taught to ignore baby strollers, umbrellas, shrieking children and strange smells. I expect him to walk nicely on a leash next to me at all times. He sits when I stop and waits for his command. He would never run willy nilly up to people to greet them or drag me all over the store. (Plus he weighs 4 pounds, so that ain't happening!)

It would be very hard for me to find another place to train him around all these distractions. We go to the park when it is nice, but I live in Western Washington, so mostly it is always raining. And a 4 pound chihuahua just doesn't train in the rain!

As for people with allergies, I'm sorry. My clothing probably has just as much dog hair and dander on it as my dog does. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Standing next to me, or my dog, is going to suck for you either way.

As long as stores allow it, I'm going to keep at it, shamelessly. It is good for my dog's education.

dangerbunny
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think dogs in public places is only one of those things you notice if the dog is badly behaved. Same as kids ;)

CosMonster
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:13 PM
Yes, my issue is with the supervision of the dogs more than people bringing dogs with them. I love dogs. I love my dogs and taking them places, too. I don't assume that everyone else will love my dog. I also see the worst of the worst in dogs on a regular basis and do not feel the need to touch every dog in the world to find out personally how nice, soft, healthy, etc. it may be. This was mostly a vent. I know those not blessed with the common sense god gave a flea will not change any time soon.

I can totally understand this (and understand the vent!). I take my dogs with me more places than most people do, but only because they're very well behaved and I am always keeping at least one eye on them. But other people's rude dogs bother me even in places that they're supposed to be, like Petsmart. Or rather, it bothers me unless someone is clearly working with the animal, since I've taken my rambunctious but friendly dogs to places like that to work on their training a bit. ;) But yeah, anyone who lets their dog run amok is not being a responsible owner IMO.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
I think dogs in public places is only one of those things you notice if the dog is badly behaved. Same as kids ;)

Agreed. I think people very rarely notice my dog because he's usually standing or sitting right at my side, slack leash. He's quiet (except when asked otherwise) and considering he's shy, never goes up to people unprovoked, but is happy to entertain attention when it's offered.

The last flight we were on, I pulled his carrier out from under the seat when we were deplaning and the woman next to me said "Has he been there the whole time?!" :eek: :lol: (I wanted to say, "No, we teleported him in somewhere over Tennessee!")

Curb Appeal
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:17 PM

Maybe you have heard the term "school more, whine less"?

The Home Depot I shop at has the "service dogs only" signs on the entrance door. They are frequently ignored.

CosMonster
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
The Home Depot I shop at has the "service dogs only" signs on the entrance door. They are frequently ignored.

I think that must vary from store to store, because mine doesn't and the cashiers even often have dog cookies with them at the register. I'd never bring my dog into a shop where it was forbidden, but we go there all the time.

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Registered Veterinary Technician and dog lover here, and my dogs do not come shopping with me, nor do they go to horse shows. I say "dogs" in the plural, but am actually down to one, a rather autistic Beagle who gets overstimulated easily and would not enjoy being dragged into a store. Nor would I enjoy the experience, because when I'm out shopping, I want to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing rather than watching my dog. And no matter how well-trained your dog is, you'd better be watching it, because all manner of hell can break loose, from a small child bombarding it to it getting in the way of other customers.

I did have a Dachshund who would come to WIHS with me each year as a spectator, and he did like to come to horse shows. However, he was never off leash and when I didn't have time to devote my full attention to him, he went in his crate. He was the king of napping, so he'd just go in and go to sleep. In his older years, he was less enthusiastic about strange children, so he lost his traveling priviledges.

dressagetraks
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:08 PM

Nope, I notice ALL visible kids within a radius of me, even those kids asleep. I notice well-behaved ones, too; they are a rare species in the stores I'm usually in, but they are not invisible to me. I notice dogs, too, but wouldn't be prepared to call it all. Definitely the annoying/clueless owner dogs, but also nicely behaved dogs.

While I can't imagine taking a dog into anything other than a pet-specific store, what I really don't understand is the folks who take their dog with them to other people's private property, unannounced. Then they invite said dog to bounce happily out of the car onto said private property as soon as they open their car door, then act like I'm being unreasonable when I ask nicely that they re-car their dog. This is NOT a dog park. It's my private land, and I have very good reasons for not wanting dogs other than mine loose on it.

Can't understand the blind assumption, though. I wouldn't DREAM of taking my dog to somebody else's private house, country or city, and inviting it out of the car for a free-for-all scamper without asking permission in advance for the dog to be there.

Only ONCE in a dozen years living here has somebody ever asked my permission to bring their dog. That was brother and SIL, bringing us a free washing machine as they were upgrading. Dog with health issues still getting adjusted to meds and working out dose, and they didn't want to kennel her. So she and their other dog came along on their multi-state ride. But they did explain and ask first. (This was before I had my no-other-dogs dog.) I requested that said dogs be leashed or confined at all times and reminded that the cats were here first. They brought crates and parked them under a tree. No problem at all.

But seriously, that is the only time anybody has ever asked up front. Dozens and dozens of times, from relatives to folks getting something from Freecycle, a dog was along for the ride and expressly invited out of the car by them to run free without ever a word or request to me. :confused: And not one of those was an obedience star, because when they finally, reluctantly, protesting "but he's friendly", agreed to corral their dog, there was no prompt recall. But even if you had an obedience star, on my land, you should ask first, as I would in reverse for anybody else's land.

Marengo
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
How do you guys feel about pets on airplanes? Air Canada changed their policies in the last few years to allow small dogs and cats in the cabin on all their flights, long haul international included. I for one am baffled at how they are able to do this. I'm an animal lover and I think that travel on planes in the baggage section is not adequate enough but I'm also very allergic to cats. The policy of Air Canada is to move the allergy sufferer should you be seated next to a pet and not 'like' it. Since all the air circulates on a plane (why people get cold bugs) I don't see how allergy sufferers don't get symptoms from pets on a long flight regardless of where they sit. And its not just about runny noses, and watery eyes I get wheezy which makes breathing difficult.

Even without the concerns of allergy sufferers what is to be done if the pet can't 'hold it' on the plane or if the pet starts making a lot of noise? I guess this post is just an fyi to those people who don't want to find themselves trapped on a plane with a small dog or cat. I understand the debate about pets in stores but I think its ok for stores to be pet friendly as people who don't like it can leave or shop somewhere else.

spotted mustang
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! A winner! ;)

These same people will demand we get over them bringing their dogs to the barn (but that's another train wreck) and should just put up with them...or do we hate dogs?

And Mistyblues wisdom: "Specialness is in the eye of the owner. Your pets? Only special to YOU. And it's not a fur-child"

Somehow these owners don't understand why their dog peeing on things isn't seen as "cute" or the dreaded, "It's natural" excuse.

come come now, are we lumping a bit?? ;)

Just because I take my dog into places where she is allowed won't mean I think it's "cute" if she ever peed on things or misbehaved. If that happened, I would apologize, clean it up and then put her in the car.

And I don't really give a rat's rear end if anybody else thinks my dog is "special". She's special to me, that's all I need.

I don't see the controversy here. Stores can decide whether they allow dogs or not. If they DO allow dogs, well, then don't be surprised if you find a golden retriever in the gardening isle. Just treat it like any other customer: if well behaved, welcome it. If it makes a loud scene, is caught shoplifting or takes a crap in the begonias, kick it out.

oldenmare
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
[quote=Trakehner

Somehow these owners don't understand why their dog peeing on things isn't seen as "cute" or the dreaded, "It's natural" excuse.[/quote]

Oh - I dunno - I thought it was absofrigginglutely hilarious when my old dog peed all over my now ex-bil's foot/shoe one day.

In fact, I picked the dog up and praised him highly. He even got a treat for that one.

We were in MY yard, however, if that makes any difference (none to me, but whatever).

But I digress... please feel free to carry on with your regularly scheduled programming.

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:16 PM
You know. It NEVER occurred to me to take my pet in to a store that wasn't specifically dog friendly, like TSC or Petsmart.

Have I taken a dog in to a store? Yup, but it was a Service Dog In Training. That being said I still got confronted by an associate when checking out who told me only service dogs were allowed. I was tired and could only point to the OBVIOUS vest she was wearing. I got a sheepish "oh, sorry."

As someone raising and training a service dog it does irk me a lot when people just ignore the no pets thing. If I go to WalMart or another store I expect to find typical distractions, not be surprised to see a pet where it doesn't belong. That goes for those who have enough gall to slap a service dog vest on their ill-mannered pet too. It makes it THAT much harder for those of us who legitimately have a right to bring a dog with us but get challenged by gate keepers because of how many dog owners ignore the rules.

Velvet
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
If they're allowed and it bugs you, there's nothing you can do. If the store does not allow dogs and someone is in there with one, complain to management. (I wish it were the same for unruly children. :rolleyes: )

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
I have no issues with dogs in pet-friendly stores. It's the abuse of bringing pets where they are not welcome that bothers me because it makes it THAT much harder for service dog teams. Gate keepers get tired of trying to police everyone and it usually that frustration gets put on SD teams because we aren't trying to hide the dog on the way in to the store, like I have seen a few people do locally.

Horsegal984
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:42 PM
I take my dog into some stores with me when I need to. My male ACD's job is watching the truck, and being my right hand man. Most of the time I leave him in the truck but sometimes I will take him into a TSC or Home Depot if it's exeptionally hot day and I'm going to be longer than I can leave the AC on. However he is snubbed to my waist with 2 foot lead and he knows he is not allowed to relieve himself while "working." I would not take my female in because she is less reliable and would try to socialize too much. I do not expect others to be subjected to my animals, if they want to see them they can ask. Otherwise I go about my buisness as if the dog doesn't exist and just watch him out of the corner of my eye. Should a child or another person seem uncomfortable about my dog's presence I leave and wait until they are done with that isle before I continue my shopping. Whether it's my toddler or my dog, I expect to make considerations for others to not have to deal with them, not the other way around.

And before you ask, I work in a vet hospital and yes, he goes to work with me almost every day. He needs the mental job and time out of the house, and my old arthritic female really needs the peace and quiet of not having to deal with him all day!

Oh, and the signs at PetCo/Petsmart also are a CYA for them, if your dog gets parvo they informed you he should be vaccinated before entering, and you chose not to.

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:29 AM
Ooops. Missed this thread.

Seriously, WTF? How about having respect for your fellow human? The grocery store is not the place for your dog!!!!!! Don't come into the bank and plop your puppy on my counter!

How about cats and dogs riding in the cabin of planes (crated, under the seat)? What the heck do people with allergies do, what with the recirculated air?

(PS: I am a dog lover.)

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:35 AM
Going by this logic, I'd assume that you think anyone who flies with their small animal in the cabin is inconsiderate and causing discomfort to others.

Actually, yes. The potential is there and if you're allergic, how do you escape? Bad on airlines to offer that service.