PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure it's been done before but...iPhone or Droid?

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Looks like I will have to actually purchase my own cell phone soon, instead of sponging off my work BlackBerry. What are the pros and cons of the iPhone and Droid?

littleum
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
Love my Droid (Galaxy2S)

Never considered an iPhone. Don't like Apple's politics or proprietary everything BS.

JanM
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
I have a droid (Casio Commando), and I could have had an iphone, but I don't like that the iphone battery is soldered in, and has to be changed at the Apple store. Plus, my commando is supposedly idiot proof, and I've proven that already so apparently it is. With my provider is would cost the same for either phone, for the purchase, and for service so it was just a matter of which one was a better fit for me. Plus, my little droid is cute.

Green Acres
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:34 PM
I just got my 2nd Droid and love it! I got an HTC Rezound which is so much nicer, faster than my previous Droid!

I played with an I-Phone at the Verizon store but didn't really like it and I didn't want to have to 'learn' how to use everything on the phone. Probably part of the not liking the I-Phone was due in part to my IT / electronic guru SO who doesn't like the I-Phone.

akrogirl
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:52 PM
My old phone finally died last week, so I had to make an emergency visit to the local Verizon store. Hated, hated, hated the touch screen keypad on the I-Phone - way too small for my chubby fingers. Ended up with the Motorola Droid 4 (I used to work for Motorola and try to stick with their products whenever possible) and love it! It has an excellent keyboard and 4G LTE, while the I-Phone is still 3G.

Simkie
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Android all the way.

azeventer
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
love my droid!

Ainsley688
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:45 PM
Never played with a Droid, but I LOVE LOVE my iPhone! The satisfaction I get from being able to have everything stored on the computer is awesome. So, the next time I get one run over by a truck, I just buy it/have somebody give me one, and plug it in!

I have had 4, and will continue to have them, mainly because it is so easy to get them. I have run two over (yes, yes, it really happened....) and have only had to buy one. I can get an old one from friends, and put all my info on it.

I would love to be able to get the 4G when I have enough money, the 3G I have now is just too slow sometimes.

WHOO iPHONE!

Perfect Pony
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
I had an iphone for work and it was fine. I recently got a Samsung Galaxy SII and it's much nicer than any iphones I have had or played with. I also refuse to spend a dime on Apple products for many reasons.

The Galaxy is a better phone, better display, better camera and a better speaker than any iphone I have seen and touched so far. It's also way thinner and lighter. I am pretty damn amazed at how nice it is actually.

rmh_rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
I have a droid X.

I like it alot.

Next time I come up for renewal, I will go back to a flip phone.

Droid is nice. I just do not think I use it like it should. I don't use internet on the phone as much as I thought I would.

I will get a basic talk and text phone next time (this winter) again.

Phone works really well. I like all it's features. No odd hangups like the iphone. I got more phone and a data package than I need.

So I will be downsizing.

Jumpthemoon16
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
LOVE my iPhone! I like the operations, look, and interface much more than my dad's Droid.

mroades
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
I have been using Android for years, love it, and do not have any desire for an Iphone.
About to get an HTC Sensation (semi-killed my Garminphone on NYE...sigh)

saaskya
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:07 PM
i love love my iphone. the ONLY thing id change is the keyboard... i like the swype feature on the droids.

that said, i had 4 droid phones and they all. sucked. bigtime. in so many ways.

azbloodstock
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
I got the HTC Thunderbolt and love it. I looked at the iPhone but since it wasn't 4G i chose the droid and definitely don't regret it.

twotrudoc
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have the hTC Rezound (Android os)and quite honestly, it's the best phone available.

It's like this--

iphone- comparable to a Ford. Durable, most for your money, easy to use. GREAT starter smartphone :)

Android is fully customizable and lightning fast BUT! They are all different, by far hTC and Samsung make the best. Motorola is pretty good but they have had to play catchup to hTC and Samsung. LG is okay, I'm still not convinced and hear a lot about glitches on the Revolution.

Credosporthorses
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
I have an Iphone. Some days it drives me batty (probably not a far drive)and others I would never consider another phone. I have never used a droid but they seem nice. And with all the cool ones that are out now I may consider a droid when my upgrade comes around.... granted I can afford to do so.

RedMare01
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:59 PM
iPhone. :)

DocRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:52 AM
iPhone. Love it. Will not consider any other option.

lucky dog farm
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
I just got my first Smartphone and I chose the IPhone. I absolutely LOVE that thing! Super easy to work and figure out, unlike my husband's droid. Even my DH, who was playing with my IPhone, has decided he wants to get one.

glfprncs
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
Got my first smart phone last summer when I was going to be traveling with my husband for the summer and needed to stay connected to e-mail, internet, etc. because of my home based business.

After lots of investigating and many chats with the I.T. gal at my full time job (I'm a teacher), we went with a Droid (the HTC Incredible 2).

LOVE IT! Have had a few hiccups along the way, but those were easily cleared up with a quick looksie in the Droid Forums online where the steps to alleviate the small problem were clearly and simply shared.

The DH, who is NOT tech savvy, enjoys it as well. That said, he's amazed at the things I can do with my phone that he can't (and yes, he has the SAME phone)! ;)

GotGait
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
I've had an iPhone 3s and now a Droid Razr. They both have pros and cons, but I like my Droid a bit more. My biggest problem with my Razr is that Verizon preloads tons of poody apps that I dont want but can't turn off unless I jailbreak it. The battery life is not good on the Razr, but neither was it on my iPhone.

ponies123
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:57 AM
I've had an HTC Droid Inspire for a year now and just switched to an iPhone, I would vote droid all the way. I am already regretting the iPhone switch, but I suppose I will try and stick it out. The main reason I switched from the Droid was because my co-worker dropped my phone in a bucket of pinesol last fall and it stopped working (obviously) so I had to go through insurance for a new one. They gave me a refurbed version of it and since then it freezes a lot, has to restart often, programs need to be forced closed, etc. but before the pinesol incident, the phone worked great. It's has 4g capability so it was very fast when I had service (which was next to never, thanks AT&T) and always worked quickly on wifi. I also loved the huge screen although it did take some time getting used to it. I like working with the google based interface rather than apple, I hate using iTunes but I'm going to try and get used to it again, haven't had to update my iPod in years so I'm out of practice with it. Maybe I'll get to like the iPhone better, but the droids are really, really nice phones.

Riley0522
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just moved from a Blackberry Curve to the iPhone 4S at the beginning of the month, not quite sure how I lived without the iPhone....I am in love. I have used multiple droids that my friends have, prefer the iPhone over any of them.

Adamantane
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
I hate my iPhone4. Bought it because it was supposedly the cutting edge technology so as long as I was getting a smartphone, I figured I'd get the best. Fail.

Software upgrades are a nightmare, take forever and screw up any on board data/apps. Apple charges an annual fee for storing music in their cloud.

Goofy things happen with the iPhone. Lately out of the blue it has been repeatedly downloading hundreds of old e-mails and displaying a message about each one which requires dismissing them before you can enter any other commands.

Apple is an unwanted nanny about app availability; everything is available for an Android.

iTunes is the diametric opposite of everything Apple claims to love about intuitive interfaces.

Those I know with Androids never seem to have any issues or problems. I should have purchased one of those.

Blugal
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
I had an iPhone 3GS for a short time (it had some problem... nobody knew what). When I had to replace it, I went with an Android (although I did look at simple talk/text, they are hard to find and I didn't like what was on offer).

I have the Samsung Galaxy S. I really like the additional buttons on the bottom (for home, back and menu). Unlike the iPhone where I constantly could not figure out how to get from one place to another without having to start back at home by using the bottom button.

Having said that, I am a bit of a non-techie, so I have barely tapped into my phone's capabilities. I have used the video (better than the iPhone 3's) and downloaded a few apps.

I do like that mine is smaller than the iPhone and that it does not have the dual glass sides like the iPhone4.

Kryswyn
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
iPhone. Have had one since 6 months after they first came out. I think it's easy to operate and there are just way more apps for iPhone than Droid, though they're catching up. Got a 4S for Christmas. 3 months later it began to malfunction daily. Called Apple. After hearing a brief description, she said you need a new phone. I backed mine up. Went to the Apple store same day for an appointment set by the Apple rep. Waited 20 minutes. Got new phone. Easy peasy.

BTW I love my iPad2 also :D

If I could switch to a MacBook, I probably would.

JanM
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:42 PM
The scary thing about iphones are that a couple of the guys at work seem to be having strange relationships with Siri. If Siri is ever offline, then I think we'll have to sedate them.

I'm so impressed by the people who can make an iphone or droid really work, and just seem to know how to get the most out of it. I am so technologically backward that downloading songs to my itunes library from CD, and downloading apps to my droid successfully seemed like a great accomplishment.