PDA

View Full Version : Free diagnosis?

CVPeg
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Wondering if any of you have had the same injury, and resulting same symptoms.

I was bucked off in the indoor 6 weeks ago, and 4 weeks ago on a dirt road. Both times thrown off on the left side of the horse, fell flat on my tail, then continued to land on my back and head.

Was able to walk away from both. More slowly the 2nd time as the road was harder! :eek: Both times resulting in slow to appear bruising across my back end...more tender on my R side this last time.

And eventually, within about a week (1st time) or two (the 2nd), I was walking regularly again. Unless....

In between the falls, I had to go to a planning board meeting and sit in one of those wonderful plastic & metal school type chairs for about 3 hours.

A week ago, I had to take my Mom from her assisted living home to the ER where she was checked over after getting that stomach virus that's everywhere. More sitting time in a hard chair again - about 4 hours.

Within a couple of days after each time I've sat in those chairs, I can hardly walk after being up and about for an hour or so. Hurts at the point of my R hip near my back. I have to drag my leg to not wince. My spine doesn't hurt. No muscle spasms, no tingling or numbness. Just an angry hip. I am absolutely fine sitting down (as now while I'm typing - padded desk chair) or sitting on the couch, & I'm comfy in bed. No real pains riding either. This time Advil doesn't help the ache when walking. (I do have stronger stuff, but tend to avoid meds overall.)

I have not seen a doctor, as I buy my health insurance through a local group, and the carrier just recently was looking for reasons to cancel, auditing applications, etc. I have no lies on mine, but can't wait until they hear "bucked off horse twice". To me, it hasn't been that serious, just annoying, and something I haven't experienced before. What would sitting for long periods of time in a hard chair do to exacerbate this kind of injury? Thanks, everyone!

littleum
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:28 PM
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I had when I had a massive blown disc. The pain felt like a torn glute, not in my back. I had to drag my leg as well. Hard chair? Ouch. And muscle spasm is very sinister. Really tight, chronic spasm will feel like a bruise/ache, and not a cramp.

You really need to go to the doctor. Nerves are funny things, and you might have a spinal issue that's not actually manifesting as spine pain. You REALLY need to go to the doctor. REALLY.

kookicat
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
Free diagnosis- see a medical professional. :) Better to catch it now than let it grow into something that's going to need more (expensive) treatment later on.

LauraKY
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
You can just say fell, in the road. No need to add the horse info. :)

I'm not sure of the effective date, but I don't think they can cancel insurance because of claim history any more.

Underthebridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
I went to a good chiropractor, he took x-rays and in my case all was well, I found it affordable. Good Luck.

Milocalwinnings
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I had when I had a massive blown disc. The pain felt like a torn glute, not in my back. I had to drag my leg as well. Hard chair? Ouch. And muscle spasm is very sinister. Really tight, chronic spasm will feel like a bruise/ache, and not a cramp.

You really need to go to the doctor. Nerves are funny things, and you might have a spinal issue that's not actually manifesting as spine pain. You REALLY need to go to the doctor. REALLY.

I agree. You could have a bulging disk (or worse) after the fall. I am convinced that a hard falls I've had caused my disk problems. It's the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. When I have flare ups, I get a sharp shooting pain through the right side of my lower back towards my hip. As Littleum said, the really tight spasms will feel like a bruise. I speak from experience.

I would suggest a doctor. They may want to send you for an MRI to ensure the disks all look ok, or at the very least x-rays to see the spine/hip.

Until if/when you go see the Dr, I would suggest taking an anti-inflamatory and ice it throughout the day. Ice REALLY helps my back when I have a bad flare up.

Good luck!

Simkie
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
This sounds an awful lot like the SI injury I sustained getting tossed and landing hard on my left hip.

But yes--please see your doc. Could be a lot of different things.

rustbreeches
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
I nose dived over my new horse's ears when I was 13. Got up, walked away, 6 weeks later I was trying to crawl between boards on a fence, and couldn't walk when I got through. 4 bulging discs and some hairline fratures. Spinal injuries are nothing to be taken lightly. I suffered for years because of it. Please take care of yourself! See a doctor, or at leat a chiro who does xrays

CVPeg
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
Well, since no one is saying, "Sure - that sounds like the slight sprain/bruised hip I had which resolved in 3-4 weeks - just wait a bit more" (my train of thought!) guess I'll head on in.

In the past I've always been pretty lucky, and have known pretty well when something is really hurt or not. And I have had lower back muscle spasms just from getting old, that have nearly knocked me over, when this hasn't. So I'll schedule towards the end of the week, just in case I'm all better by then :cool:, but if not, will head on in.