PDA

View Full Version : Frankenknee HEALS! I can kind of walk again!

Coreene
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:15 PM
In November I severely dislocated my knee - the knee bent backwards, not a pretty sight - and in December I had to have two surgeries to replace the ACL, PCL and LCL.

I still have drop foot and an ankle brace (probably for another 18-24 months) for that, but have now managed to:

A) ditch the knee brace at home
B) ditch the wheelchair except for going to the store and rolling up to my stall at the barn
C) start walking with a cane for teeny tiny distances at home
D) get to where I actually like the damn nasty meanie PT exercises

I get around with a walker right now. I have no idea when I can ride again, and I'm still not able to drive for at least six more weeks, but this is my happy news and I wanted to share it. :yes:

And lemme tell ya, Voltaren/Surpass is so nice to have around the house.

I hope that everyone with a shitty knee has a pain-free day today!

Bluey
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
Nothing like being glad for small favors, is it.

Glad you are somewhat ambulant again.:cool:

They still have not found where I sprung a leak, any exertion and I practically pass out, have fainted a time or two.
Since all is perfectly fine without exerting, I am not exerting and so not worried at all.:p

Seeing the cardiologist again next week, see where to go from here.
That is scary, as he talked about heart surgery last time.:(

I too can't do much around horses or ride yet more than a bit, blacking out not recommended when you are around or on a horse.:no:

Hey, at least we have COTH OT day to have fun with.:yes:

Coreene
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Bluey, hope they figure it out fast, that is no bueno. :no:

Bluey
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:44 PM

Thank you.

I do think that having a bum knee is much, much more inconvenient, as we need both to get around well, don't you?;)

I have heard of bad knee problems, but yours seems to be especially difficult.:(
Just think how much fun you will have once you get to ride again.:cool:

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Coreene, that's great news!

Ditto that.

JanM
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
Coreene-That's great news! And I hope that everything will keep progressing, and that you'll be 100%.

Bluey-I hope that they find out what's up, solve it, and you're back to normal in no time. And these days they always seem to tell you the absolute worst case scenario, so try not to worry too much. Sometimes I think they want to scare you half to death, so you won't take unnecessary chances.

kookicat
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:34 PM
Great news about the knee!

Mine still sucks, but it's not really painful any more. Sounds like a bowl of rice crispies when I walk up stairs though.

Jingles, Bluey!

Polydor
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yay Coreene! Glad to hear you are on the mend !

Bluey : hope they find out whats going on. Sounds scary!

P.

JGHIRETIRE
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
YAY glad you've made improvement!!

Bluey - be careful - heart disease is nothing to mess with.
Take care of yourself.

Both of you!! LOL

Bluey
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sorry, Coreene, didn't mean to hijack your Frankenknee thread.:no:
Please ignore my personal comments.:yes:

Coreene
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:42 AM
Don't be silly, heart stuff is MUCH worse! Fingers crossed they figure it out once and for all. Have they made you wear a monitor yet?

And knee issues atop that - girl, that is just SO wrong. Unequal distribution of no bueno moments!

Bluey
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
Don't be silly, heart stuff is MUCH worse! Fingers crossed they figure it out once and for all. Have they made you wear a monitor yet?

And knee issues atop that - girl, that is just SO wrong. Unequal distribution of no bueno moments!

That is so kind of you, to share your thread.:)

My problems are some rare heart defects from birth, that they found I had when I was almost 60 and have not figured yet, after many tests, some they sent me off for, what is going on.
The Drs, being Drs, love medical puzzles, so they want to know more.
It would be nice to be able to run races, jump high courses and ride a wild bucking horse to a standstill.;)
Honestly, getting too old anyway for much of that, so I am not complaining.

YOU, on the other hand, need to take good care of this very serious Frankenknee, because you have so many more good years ahead, if you can get it fixed well and it seems it is a bear of an injury you had.

I am glad you are somewhat ambulatory now, sure makes life easier, if the not driving is a pain, is it.

I will say, from the several friends that had knee problems, all but one are just fine now.
They did have a hard time of it, but the results are worth it.

Keep giving it heck, do your exercises, ice is your friend and let us know how you are coming along, please, we are pulling for you.

Tasker
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
YAY Coreene! Lots of good thoughts heading your way for continued improvement!!! :)

Bluey - hope they sort your condition out ASAP!

lucky dog farm
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:27 AM
Coreene, I have been where you are. Spent a LONG time healing so it is totally awesome that you are doing so well! As they say Baby steps,Baby, baby steps. You'll be up and running it no time flat. :)

Bluey, I hope they find out what the heck is going on with you. No fun not knowing, that's for sure.

Hugs and jingles to you both.