PDA

View Full Version : A sinkful of dirty dishes

Gestalt
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm not a good housekeeper by any means. I'd rather clean the barn than my house and I suspect most of you are the same. :lol:

But having dirty dishes in the sink just totally bugs me. It makes the whole kitchen look dirty. I found a reason to leave this mornings "meeting" at a fellow horse clubbers house due to the plates and glasses sitting in the sink. I kept thinking my coffee tasted nasty because of the dirty dishes.

Anybody else have dirt phobias? (did I spell that right?)

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
You spelled that right. :yes: But doncha hate when you type out a word, you know it's spelled correctly, but it just doesn't look right? Drives me bananas.

I can't say I have a dirt phobia...but I hate dirt. :D And clutter. Loathe clutter. And anything unorganized. That drives me nuts!

I can't say I'm anal retentive or OCD about cleaning and organizing, but I keep it up as well as possible. I also can't do something relaxing like a cup of coffee, internet time, etc if the house has cluttery-dirty stuff going on.

What you need is a dishwasher. :D You don't see your dirty dishes then. :winkgrin:

maxiford812
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
I can tolerate clutter in other parts of the house and with 2 cats, a dog, and a parrot, there is usually some kind of dust or hair, even the day after cleaning. But - I have to wash the dishes and clean the sink or I feel like I can't relax and go to sleep. :D It just bugs me. I even wait to run the dishwasher until after I feed the dog so that there won't be a lone dirty spoon sitting in the sink all night. I'm weird. :yes:

Mukluk
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
I can tolerate clutter in other parts of the house and with 2 cats, a dog, and a parrot, there is usually some kind of dust or hair, even the day after cleaning. But - I have to wash the dishes and clean the sink or I feel like I can't relax and go to sleep. :D It just bugs me. I even wait to run the dishwasher until after I feed the dog so that there won't be a lone dirty spoon sitting in the sink all night. I'm weird. :yes:

My mother is that way. Drives me nuts because if you get anything dirty after the dishwasher starts she don't like it. Now me, I am much more type B or perhaps Z.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm weird. :yes:

I see that as totally normal!

I prefer everything to live in its proper place, but I can tolerate a holding pattern in neat piles. I cannot stand "dirty" in my home. Today I cleaned my oven because it had a few spatters on the side. I pulled it out and freed a puffy toy and some dust bunnies. I want to move the fridge, but the wheels fell off 2 years ago and Mr. Landlord hasn't bothered to fix them. I dusted top to bottom, then vacuumed, including the furniture and the keyboard on my laptop. I'll wash the floor after the last load of laundry is in the washer.

It's SO much easier keeping a standard of cleanliness when it's just me and the kittehs.

spirithorse22
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
My mother is that way. Drives me nuts because if you get anything dirty after the dishwasher starts she don't like it. Now me, I am much more type B or perhaps Z.

^ hahahaha

^ I am more like maxiford! You're not weird. I hate clutter. I have three dogs and and allergies so I try to keep it clutter free so dusting/vaccuming, etc is easy. I HATE knickknacks!

Anyway, I don't do a great job of keeping the bathroom spotless but the kitchen? The kitchen MUST be kept clean. I love running the dishwasher at the end of the night with everything clean and sanitized for the next morning. Ahhh, I also shower at night. Maybe there is a theme here...:lol:

cranky
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm the same way about dirty dishes. Things can be dusty around the house or whatever, but I can't stand to have dirty dishes in the sink (or lying around). This may be partially from living in NYC for years. A dirty dish is just an invitation for roaches to move in. Whatever it is, that is one area of house-keeping that I'm always on top of. I don't like to have piles of dirty clothes around either, but the dirty dish thing is the biggie for me.

Mukluk
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
I am certainly not a dish cleaning fanatic but I do clean up after myself most of the time. But.... I used to have a roommate who would have dinner with her boyfriend and then wander off leaving the remnants of dinner- dirty dishes on the table, serving containers with food on the table- stuff on the stove well into the next day. I told her I didn't expect her to clean everything up right after dinner but asked her to at least move the plates/serving containers off of the kitchen table. Once she left a pot of something on the stove for days. I ended up putting a bunch of colorful little cake sprinkles on it just to be funny!!! She had a neurological condition called Dish Agnosia.

Louise
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
I don't mind a pan full of dishes waiting to be washed, but those dishes had better be thoroughly rinsed. No dishwasher here, so the nightly job is usually washing up the dishes that have accumulated in the pan during the day.

Pots and pans are scrubbed as soon as I am done with them. I have to admit that's not so much because I'm afraid of bugs, but, rather that the cats will get at the and lick them clean and I'm an onion and garlic fan.

kookicat
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:37 PM

Why not just run the dishwasher and wash the spoon by hand? :confused::lol:

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
I can't stand dishes in the sink either. The sinks and counters need to be washed down before I can go to bed.

I used to be a slob in my younger days, but can't stand it now and it's gotten even worse since I had a baby. Something about preggo hormones pushed me a little in the OCD direction. Hubby makes cracks about how he wishes I'd be MORE OCD, until he realized the crap laying around that is bugging him is all his and a point is being made by me leaving it where he left it.

JanM
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
I used to live in southern New Mexico, and no one ever left any dirty dishes around. Between the roaches (big enough to ride), and the ants, you could get a herd of pests appearing almost instantly. I only wash dishes by hand, since it seems silly to run a dishwasher for one person. I find it easier to clean up as I dirty dishes, and I find it easier to clean pots and pans or dishes before the food residue cools off and sticks harder.

Bogie
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:00 PM
I have a very high tolerance for clutter but I MUST clean the dishes/kitchen before I go to bed. I can't stand waking up to a dirty kitchen.

dangerbunny
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
The floors, I like to walk around barefoot and unfortunately with a dog, living on a farm and having teenage boys traipsing around means daily sweeping. It is funny though since if the floors are clean then the house feels 100 times cleaner to me. DH's pet peeve is the kitchen being messy but I can ignore stacks of clutter and dirty dishes if the floor is clean.

rmh_rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
When I have a huge sink full of dishes, I get on the phone and call a friend.

I chat, they chat and I do the dishes. LOVE IT! I really appreciate the company in such a trying horrible time. I have one friend I usually call when I do dishes. Makes time go by fast. And the dishes get done. Dishwasher gets ran. You would be surprised how fast they go when chatting on the phone.

Then I go out and brush, ride the horses or do some barn chores. My reward for a job well done.

BTW my hubby does ALL dishes on the weekend. And wooo wee I cook alot on the weekends.

ReSomething
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
I go through phases. When I was in college I'd get sick of the pile of dirty dishes from myself and all the roomies and wash till the hot water ran out - we had waaay too many plates - and finally I got sick of cleaning the kitchen so one of the roomies could spread out their mess. My solution? I kept a set of plates and cutlery in my room and washed as I went. It was amazing how the dirty kitchen stopped bothering me!

At home I like the Flylady method, and a clean sink is the first thing on the agenda. I've outgrown the ability to ignore heaps of dishes now so when I go visit the MIL I usually wind up washing (again!) til the hot water runs out.

Mukluk
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
Well I'll have ya'll know that I just washed all the dishes!!!!

And I don't have a washing machine. If you have a washing machine you are on easy street!

lcw579
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:21 AM
Just washed mine too.

I was just going to go to bed but I thought of this thread. D**n all you neatniks! ;)

Blugal
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:31 AM
I'm not a neatnik, but I am in the process of unpacking from moving house - did 3 loads of dishes today, and will probably do 3 more tomorrow AM. Hopefully that will take care of all the darn dishes!!!