PDA

View Full Version : WEF : oh look there's a horse in my stall....

Jheregvonmunch
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
3 years ago I wrote a satire on my Facebook page about HITS Ocala, the lack of toilet paper, lousy weather, lack of amenities and not enough prize money.

Now I am compelled to share my thought about WEF. WEF was huge 2007ish. Then the market crashed and then WEF got very small. Land was sold, the Academy was created, an overall desire to be the biggest and best was felt thought out the community. They pulled it off. WEF is bigger and better than ever. Well whats bigger? The number of people is back up sure. But now we have 10,000 people on 1/3 of the land. Forget being able to park on the weekends and now there's a nother epidemic.

TAKE YOUR F'ING HORSE OUT OF MY STALL!!! Put down my hay. Give me back my feed and stop
Cutting my stall locks. Seriously. I'm supposed to be here competing with the best. If you cannot afford the stall go somewhere else.

Trainers are instructing grooms to use other people's stalls today the mom of a junior rider was shocked to find out her princesses horse was in my stall eating my hay.

You know who you are.

Oh and ps thanks for always trashing my stalls so I have to rebed the whole thing when I get here. YOU ROCK!

Any suggestions how WEF should manage this problem. Surely if they have the man power for mandatory stall watch they can work on this problem?

bizbachfan
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
Wow! I have never shown at WEF but I understand it is big bucks to show/stall their etc. I would be really ticked if someone was using my stall, stealing my hay, etc.

MHM
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
My best, most practical suggestion would be: bigger stall locks.

If it's harder to cut the locks on your stall, they will probably look for a stall that's easier to use.

I completely agree that it's wrong, and the show should do something about it, but in the meantime....

Herbie19
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
Nice. I agree with the bigger lock idea, or maybe a regular lock and a large dog?! Night watch is worthless. My best night watch story is when I was in a night class and came back to find that my horse was marked as "down". Yeah, he was down at the ring you idiot! And the stall door was wide open too. Good luck explaining that!

FLeventer
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Honestly what I would do is chain around the stall door twice and then put a big ole lock on it. That is how I close my tack stall doors. If I found their horses in my stalls, honestly I would set em lose. In my stall, not my F'ing problem.

You are seriously showing at WEF without stalls, are they stupid or do they just not belong there. Honestly, people make me sick. I would also post signs on the stall doors that are yours letting them know that if they cut the locks, touch your stuff, move your horses, or cause damage by cutting the lock then you will press charges/call the cops. No need for that on their part. I honestly am shocked by this.

RiverBendPol
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
Wowee, I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe you should turn the squatter loose...

MHM
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
Maybe you should turn the squatter loose...

Except it's not the horse's fault someone put him in that stall.

FineAlready
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
Except it's not the horse's fault someone put him in that stall.

Agreed. I wouldn't set the horse loose either. But I would flip out on the owner/groom/whoever when they came back for the horse. I'd also ask show management to either do something about squatters or give me a discount on my stall.

SkipChange
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
Setting the horse loose is probably a bad idea, but if I had the time I think I might deliver it to the show office like a lost dog or child. Then the show office would really see what was happening, know who the offender was, and the owner would have the embarrassment of hearing it over the loud speaker and having to show up to the office and collect their horse.

kelsey97
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Setting the horse loose is probably a bad idea, but if I had the time I think I might deliver it to the show office like a lost dog or child. Then the show office would really see what was happening, know who the offender was, and the owner would have the embarrassment of hearing it over the loud speaker and having to show up to the office and collect their horse.

Excellent suggestion SkipChange:yes:

Danger'sDelight13
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
I would just lock the horse IN my stall with a really hard to cut lock...

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
I am being facetious of course, but if the horse is nice enough, load it up and take that puppy home.

Or put a for sale sign on it with your own phone number.

Or a large biohazard/medical testing in progress sign.

Or clip the horse in your own "special" way. Your jagged initials on their rump is a lovely touch for stellar turn out.

Do I need to go on?

nickers@dawn
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Get a pet pig and leave it in the stall. Problem solved. :lol:

Herbie19
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
I am being facetious of course, but if the horse is nice enough, load it up and take that puppy home.

Or clip the horse in your own "special" way. Your jagged initials on their rump is a lovely touch for stellar turn out.

Do I need to go on?

Yes please. These are so fantastic I'd love to hear what else you can come up with! :)

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Yes please. These are so fantastic I'd love to hear what else you can come up with! :)

Let me state again, I am totally kidding.

I hear Twinkle Toes hoof glitter is pretty hard to remove.
http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/4000/TP0550?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google%2Bdata%2Bfeed

Leave a picture of the horse next to todays newspaper in the stall with a note to wait by the phone for ransom instructions.

Spray the saddle and girth area of said horse liberally with show sheen or other silicone based shine spray. Be sure to watch the horse's rounds afterwards! Have that camera ready.

Dress horse up in the ugliest pinkest, purplest, zebra stripy-est outfit you can find. Parade around WEF with a large sign stating who he is proudly owned and trained by. Combine this one with the twinkle toes for extra za-zoom.

Leave trainer of said horse a large bill including day fees, drug fees (faux of course, but oh the nervous nail biting!), lunging and grooming fees.

Have the family Christmas card picture taken with the horse. Be sure to send one out to the owner of the horse.

Angelico
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:06 PM

Do I need to go on?

From now on, when I have a problem, I know who I'm going to for advice!

2tempe
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm in support of the" the lock the stall w/ horse in it"; and pin a bill on the outside "to owner" $xxx for bedding, stall rental, hay, cleaning, etc, detailed invoice. Door to be unlocked upon receipt of CASH for the services rendered.

paint hunter
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
So, being on the other side of the country and not knowing the setup at WEF.....

I thought when you sign up for a show, you also sign up for an appropriate number of stalls plus stall for tack, feed, etc. Thus, twenty horses attending means twenty horse stalls and an appropriate number of grooming/feed stalls. Or, are you saying a barn, brings 20 horses to WEF but only reserves 15 stalls and then juggles the horses? What about at night when all the horses should be tucked into their respective stalls?

Or, do some of the horse stay off site and come in for the day and just use any stall that seems to be free at the moment? Are these horses going into stalls that use the same trainer? I mean, if horse X trains with trainer A, is he squatting in a stall in the group of trainer A or is the horse just looking for an empty stall in any trainer's aisle?

Sorry, just trying to picture the scenario from afar.

AnEnglishRider
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
I like the idea of spraying the saddle area with show sheen... Doesn't harm the horse, very unpleasant for the squatter.

Coanteen
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
I would be tempted to give it a haircut.

I wouldn't do it. Probably. But oh so tempted, and so very harmless to the blameless horsie ;)

sschuessler
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Add to the list:
Re-braid in your own special way. The more bright colored ribbons and bows the better.

Take the horse out for a nice stroll and do not discourage any rolling that may occur.

but seriously, i like the idea of presenting it like a lost kid to the horse show management. Or the show sheening :)

CBoylen
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
So, being on the other side of the country and not knowing the setup at WEF.....

I thought when you sign up for a show, you also sign up for an appropriate number of stalls plus stall for tack, feed, etc. Thus, twenty horses attending means twenty horse stalls and an appropriate number of grooming/feed stalls. Or, are you saying a barn, brings 20 horses to WEF but only reserves 15 stalls and then juggles the horses? What about at night when all the horses should be tucked into their respective stalls?

Or, do some of the horse stay off site and come in for the day and just use any stall that seems to be free at the moment? Are these horses going into stalls that use the same trainer? I mean, if horse X trains with trainer A, is he squatting in a stall in the group of trainer A or is the horse just looking for an empty stall in any trainer's aisle?

Sorry, just trying to picture the scenario from afar.
Almost no one has as many stalls on grounds as they do horses. Most people are stabled as a base off grounds, and have a tackroom/grooming stall and as many stalls as they need for a day on grounds. They then move them in and out by trailer or by hacking over, either daily or leave some on grounds over night and switch when divisions finish and new ones start the next day. For instance, my former barn used to have 20-odd stalls off grounds for 20-odd horses, but never more than 10 stalls on grounds because generally there were no more than 10 horses showing on a particular given day (I used to be the lucky person who tried to figure out pre-circuit the absolute max number of horses we could have showing on any one day given any possible combination of owner or professional rides for each week's schedule. I put some work into it because it saves everyone money, but inevitably there would be one strange circumstance one show each year that led to someone hacking over one day. Usually me. ;)).
Some people are totally stabled off grounds and do not have any on grounds stalls, leaving them to lead or hack over for each day's classes (tempting, if you can do it with help and horse logistics, as stalls both on and off grounds are astronomically priced). Many of the above might be tempted to "borrow" a stall either for a pee break during the day or boldly for longer if the stall seems to be unoccupied or the odds are good that the actual occupant won't be around until a different part of the week.

mroades
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
until rider falls because saddle slips, breaks neck..and then OP gets sued...this is America you know!

rustbreeches
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
Because I think it would be too hard to actually collect the money, I would roach the mane. Bonus points to you for using cherry kool aid on the tail of any grey horse left in your stall.

MHM
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
Because I think it would be too hard to actually collect the money, I would roach the mane.

Talk about a quick way to make a lifelong enemy! :eek:

Or a group of them, by the time you add up the owner, trainer, groom, and especially the braider. ;)

rustbreeches
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
Talk about a quick way to make a lifelong enemy! :eek:

But I bet they would never steal a stall again!:D

MHM
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
But I bet they would never steal a stall again!:D

Maybe not, but who knows what might happen to your own horse the next time your back is turned. :uhoh:

Joanne
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
"today the mom of a junior rider was shocked to find out her princesses horse was in my stall eating my hay."

How did this end? Did you get reimbursed for your hay and bedding, and did you get an apology?

Chall
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Oh, but what about the clueless innocent who misheard or misunderstands, throw him in one of our empty stalls in the second row, third shed down?

And my first overnight show where I returned to my stall and my horse was gone. Stolen?!!
Um, night watchmen said he let himself out, walked around, ate grass, socialized and the watchman returned him to his stall, but it was the wrong stall. Oops.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:03 PM
What does show management say? Isn't that why they're there, and collecting $$$$$?

Dana
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:21 PM
Just an aside, WEF didn't charge a mandatory night watch fee that I can find on the entry blank or the prize list.

New USEF rule HJ210.1.e states, "Night watch for horses stabled on the grounds to be available to exhibitors to contract separately, at exhibitor cost." My reading of this makes mandatory night watch at horse shows illegal under the rules.

Dana

Platinum Equestrian
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:30 PM
WOW, just WOW...

Prime Time Rider
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
How about buying a can of spray paint is a really loud color (think bright yellow or orange) and spray painting the horse? I believe that would put an end to the unauthorized us eof your stall, although it might cause some other problems...

LovesHorses
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Night watch at WEF was $4 a night.

HobbyHorse101
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:27 AM
This is why at any big paint show I've been to we hire a security guard...

paint hunter
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks CBoylen. Got the picture now. So that's why all the fancy ads in COTH for WEF-area properties talk about being able to hack to the show grounds.

I would love to see WEF someday. I guess it should go on my bucket list.

ElisLove
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
I like the idea of spraying the saddle area with show sheen... Doesn't harm the horse, very unpleasant for the squatter.

It MAY cause the horse harm. Saddle shifts, rider falls off, horse ends up with a saddle under it's belly, gets spooked, starts running blindly in fear, runs across a road/crashes into fence/ crashes through a group of people/ etc.

Sarabeth
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:06 AM
"I shared my poppyseed muffins with your horse while we waited for you to come back. That's OK, right?" :D

poltroon
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
With the concerns of EHV-1 at Thermal, I would hope that people who apparently lack manners and common sense would at least fear nasty diseases. Sheesh.

skydy
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:52 AM

I think this is a wise choice. The show management would then be very aware of the problem. :yes:

alto
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:39 AM
I doubt the show management is unaware of the problem :rolleyes:

- they are just choosing bliss :winkgrin:

cadance
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
ding ding ding! this is exactly what I would have done in that situation; there's no excuse for someone cutting a lock in order to stall their horse.

If I were really serious about making a point (not sure if its this big of a deal), I'd take photos for evidence of the cut lock and strange horse in your stall, messed up bedding, missing hay, etc. and take the horse owner to small claims court or file some kind of complaint with the police. Cutting lock: breaking & entering, hay & bedding: stolen property, use of stall area: stealing of services/rent/(?).

Jheregvonmunch
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
WEF has grown in attendees and shrunk in land / stall size. The show is jan - march. Stalls have to be purchased in August if you want stalls and you have to purchase for the whole 12 weeks. Horse dealers and crooked trainers bring their horses in the weekends and search for empty stalls and put their horses in them. You cannot trailer in. You cannot park trailers on site. Stalls during the show are pretty much not available the conventional way. We used to go home on the weekends hence we picked up some parasitic trainers horses and now we are back showing on the weekends we find horses in our stalls Saturday morning when we return with the amateur horses.

I love the idea of clipping a personal message in said horse!

Atlas Shrugged
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:53 AM
At least a little mane trimming with scissors !

Ainsley688
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:59 AM
I like the Kool Aid idea. That stuff REALLY stays in there! You can say it was a speshul conditioner you were told to use on the "new" horse. hahaha

TSWJB
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
i would not harm the horse by turning him loose, roaching his mane or putting show sheen on so the rider can fall off as the saddle slips. you can really make a deadly enemy and then you would have to watch your horses and stuff. why would you do that?
i like the idea of a paddlock on the stall. or if a horse appears in your stall paddlock it and call in the show manager. or return the horse to the show office.
its fun to think of ways to get even, but the reality is by doing that you could make things very ugly for yourself.

dags
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Twinkle toes. Especially if it's a hunter. Totally harmless but oh. so. perfect.

Don't lock horses in stalls. Or roach manes (that's just not cool man)

enjoytheride
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know, I think if someone actually cuts a lock off a stall to use it then clipping something into their horse would be an excellent idea. I would worry about padlocking the horse in in case something happened that it needed to be let out quickly for.

Clipping the horse and twinkletoeing it harms the owner more where padlocking it in a stall could hurt the horse if it coliced. It's not the horse's fault his owner is a jackass.

GingerJumper
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'd put a ghastly nylon halter on it, twinkletoe all four hooves, and then clip "My Owner Is A Squatter" onto its barrel. :D

CBoylen
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
Actually cutting a lock makes me wonder if they think you are in their stall. I'd try to find a way to communicate with them. There are enough unattended stalls that would be easier to access, so it's odd to choose a locked one without some reason.

bhrunner06
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
CBoylen... Ding ding ding! That's exactly what My thought was! I'd do some hunting to see why your stall with the padlock vs empty stalls with no locks!

ToiRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
CBoylen... Ding ding ding! That's exactly what My thought was! I'd do some hunting to see why your stall with the padlock vs empty stalls with no locks!

Cutting your stall locks is vandalism/stealing, as is eating your hay, etc. Did you confront the trainer and demand reimbursement? I guess I would get a REALLY big chain and chain the door. You might want to also post a sign inside the stall, where it cannot be reached from outside, that states, "This stall is rented by ________. No one has permission to use this stall other than ________. The owner of any horse found in this stall will be charged rental fees, bedding fees and damages." Putting people on notice is always a positive on your side if they claim it was a mistake.

I agree with those who say take the offending horse to the show office and file a complaint while you are there.

bhrunner06
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yes I know it is vandalism/stealing.... But as CBoylen stated... There could have been a mix up and they really did think that stall was theirs.

ToiRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yes I know it is vandalism/stealing.... But as CBoylen stated... There could have been a mix up and they really did think that stall was theirs.

That is why I would post the sign inside the stall where no one can tear it down without breaking the lock. Post it large enough so it can be seen and read from the outside. It may be a good idea to include a cell phone number, so if there is confusion and someone is insistent the stall is theirs, then they can call the cell number.

If someone thought the stall was theirs, then they needed to go to show management and get it worked out. They had no right to cut the stall lock themselves.

As an aside, I was at an endurance ride once where they oversold the stalls. There weren't many stalls, but I had paid for one because I was hitching a ride with a friend. I arrived before the other person who had also paid for the stall. I got the stall, but I can see why the second person might have been upset. However, that was not my fault. There would have been heck to pay if they had messed with my horse in any way other than notifying show management.

alto
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
As an aside, I was at an endurance ride once where they oversold the stalls. There weren't many stalls, but I had paid for one because I was hitching a ride with a friend. I arrived before the other person who had also paid for the stall. I got the stall, but I can see why the second person might have been upset. However, that was not my fault. There would have been heck to pay if they had messed with my horse in any way other than notifying show management.

I'm thinking you didn't cut a lock off the stall when you got there or leave the stall a disaster zone after using up all the hay (provided by your unknown benefactor)
- I doubt anyone would be advocating messing with the horse, if the stall "squatter" had behaved with a modicum of consideration.

ToiRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
I'm thinking you didn't cut a lock off the stall when you got there or leave the stall a disaster zone after using up all the hay (provided by your unknown benefactor)
- I doubt anyone would be advocating messing with the horse, if the stall "squatter" had behaved with a modicum of consideration.

You are right. I had permission as a paid user to be in the stall, and I didn't take anything I wasn't entitled to, etc.

englishcowgirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Clipping another's horse, even if a squatter, sounds like a good way to get hurt. Not all ponies clip nice and many need to be drugged.

Anselcat
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
Someone needs to invent a lock that, just like those security tags on high-priced clothes, sprays ink or a stinky smell when cut.

Call 'em squid locks, or skunk locks, depending on ink or stink.

Linny
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Wow, this thread is eye opening. You rent a stall for 12 weeks for more than my annual income and yet you have to LOCK it when you take your horse to show or exercise! :eek::eek: Not a tack stall, but an empty stall!!!??? Then after doing so, you may still find someone has cut that lock and put another horse in it?
I've locked my house every night for 30 years and no one have ever broken the lock and come in. Does that mean that the cummulative assets I have gathered in my life are worth less than a 12x 12 box with some straw and some poop, in Wellington? Location, location, location:lol::lol::lol:

Kestrel
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
If the horse is gray or chestnut, you could write "Squatter!" all over it with a Sharpie.

ToiRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
OP, so how big are your stall locks, and how hard is it to cut them? I don't show, so I am out of the loop on this.

bizbachfan
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
I have to say after reading this thread I am almost glad I can't afford to show Wellington, sounds way too stressful!

DeeThbd
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
Shave a nice streak along the jugular vein :)

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
While I'm LOLing at the suggestions (I especially like the ransom photo) I do think taking the horse to the show office is the most...mature way to handle and report it. Sorry, but cutting the lock off is WAY more effort than an 'oops' and a RATIONAL reaction to thinking someone's locked the stall you're supposed to use is to first double-check and make sure it's your stall with your bedding and your hay, not reach for the bolt cutters.

Dana
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
Night watch at WEF was $4 a night.

The only night watch I saw there was Glenn (I work in the barns all night). He only watched horses who signed up for his service, not every horse on the grounds.

Dana

skydy
Mar. 19, 2012, 06:31 AM
I doubt the show management is unaware of the problem :rolleyes:

- they are just choosing bliss :winkgrin:

Of course they are, however, one can interrupt their bliss with a dose of reality. Like a horse, handed to them on a lead rope. :winkgrin:

bumknees
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
Unless WEF office personel is differnt than every other horse show OR they have more than anyother horse show and have people sitting around twiddeling their thumbs....

You may WANT to get their attention and may actually get it BUT to get them to actually get them out of their chair, and out of the trailer/building/office to come out to see offending horse, to the stall to see offending horse, or what ever is slim to none in actual occuring. In reality you stand in line.. Who is watching squater horse outside? you wait in line... You get to someone sitting at table/desk what ever and tell them about squater horse can they please come out and see it? They say And what am I supposed to do ID it? You know how many horses
there are here? HOW am I supposed to know every horse that is on the grounds???

I wonder what wold have happened if the OP had a large dog in her stall while she had her horse out? Just wondering what the squater would have done to her dog.... Or if they would have taken the hint the stall was taken.
Im not as convinvced the squater did not know the stall was not available.. It had a lock on it for cripes sake. Are the unoccupied stalls locked? No I think if squater took time to get out the bolt cutters to use them and if it was a mom and kid team find someone who can use bolt cutters( I know I would have to locate a stronger than I guy). which takes time and thought.. As in why dont we find one that doesnt have a lock or check to make sure this is the correct stall time and thought...
this I would think was not done so no miscommunication imo...

I love the idea of roached mane.. Or even undo braids with maybe redo them in that oh so speusul way.. twinkle toes oh yeah.. Oh ya would have to do the sparkely star and such on the butt saw it somewhere an advert for the stencil and the spray stuff maybe valley vet cat.. just cant recall where...

I have not been to the WEF hope to one day like right after Ed McMann knowcks on my door.. oh yeah he's dead isnt he.. darn oh well to late...well maybe right after I win that power ball or mega millions but i actualy have to play it right? But yeah one day I hope to go to WEF... If I am paying that much for a stall you had better believe if I have to lock the darn thing and I come back to find someone ha taken the time to remove the lock I will take the time to make it so they stand out in what ever ring they are showing in. And it will be a while before they do not stand out in the show ring.. Like maybe next WEF.. Well actually due to shedding next fall probably just as they are clipped but you all knew what I ment...

To me what occured is almost equal to theft. they stole the use of the stall. Maybe they did pay for a stall maybe they did not we did not get that part of the OP... but that particular stall after they cut off a lock should have been enough to tell them to stop not to enter.. They stole the stall for however long or short of a time they stole the stall.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
What about filing a police report? Destruction of property (cutting lock), theft (hay, bedding), something for use of your stall without consent. Not to mention the abandoned animal issue. Seeing a police officer there at the stall might make someone a bit nervous. And it would be totally within your rights.

DMK
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Long Spot is definitely on the right track - Some twinkletoes and some white or black shapleys spray. Instant bay horse or if you have a bay horse, you can give it 4 very high white socks. Possibly make it a paint horse. Or an appy!

(I do love clipping the jugular - that just works on so many levels)

mvp
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
What? I still don't get it.

You take your horse out for his division during the day and you need to padlock the stall for that hour or so? Or is this an overnight thing?

All I can say is "With friends like this, who needs enemies?" I can't believe all you WEFers paying a premium to play are expected to put up with this kind of free-loading.

kmwines01
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
I think the problem is when the horse isn't at the show grounds during the week. The op locks the stall up when they leave at the end of the weekend and when they come back for the next weekend there is somebody in the stall. K

Burbank
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
call animal control?

alto
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:56 PM
Summary

OP is on the grounds M-F with horse A, leaves sometime friday, returns Sat with horse B & finds locks cut, squatter in stall etc.
OP also mentions that in the past, the stall was not used (by OP) on weekends (though still paid for), but OP is now wanting to use stall on Sat,Sun for the alternate horse.

Given the fact that OP has multiple horses & shows at WEF Jan - Mar, I suspect OP also has the wherewithall to mind the stall & the squatter horse while also contacting WEF officials ... I suspect there will be a protocol in place to deal with wandering horses, just dump squatter horse there - point is made & no animals are harmed in the process.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
So, OP, what did end up happening?

Linny
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
If you have paid for the rental of a stall for 12 weeks it shoud be there for you at any time for any horse (provided appropriate vet papers etc) you choose to put into it. I am amazed that another trainer (who does have final authority "care and control") would cut off a lock. If they honestly thought it was their stall why would they not have gone to management?

No wonder stuff gets stolen at WEF. For cripes sake, if folks are willing to cut through locks for an empty stall, imagine what they'd do for a stall full of "designer" saddles! Do the grooms at WEF walk around with bolt cutters? Or is that the job of assistant trainers? (I'm assuming head trainers all prefer to maintain full deniabilty!)

As for the horse, take him to the show office, but not til after removing his braids and spraying his mane and tail with enough Showsheen to soak an elephant.

Mardi
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
With the concerns of EHV-1 at Thermal, I would hope that people who apparently lack manners and common sense would at least fear nasty diseases. Sheesh.

As of March 15, two horses that were at Thermal have EHV.
One in San Diego, the other in Monterey County.

Mardi
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
What about filing a police report? .... Seeing a police officer there at the stall might make someone a bit nervous. And it would be totally within your rights.

Make "someone" nervous ? How about the population of grooms who mistake the police car for Customs/Border Patrol ?

skittlespony
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Make "someone" nervous ? How about the population of grooms who mistake the police car for Customs/Border Patrol ?

haha I literally LOL'd at that one. Now everyone is staring at me strangely. :uhoh:

Isabeau Z Solace
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'm in support of the" the lock the stall w/ horse in it"; and pin a bill on the outside "to owner" $xxx for bedding, stall rental, hay, cleaning, etc, detailed invoice. Door to be unlocked upon receipt of CASH for the services rendered.

I like it !!

Lord Helpus
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Why not get some purple or green or pink hair dye that you can wash out, and apply to the horse's tail?

No harm no foul, except that the horse's owner is going to have to do some quick bathing if he wants the horse to be seen in public.

If people start to do this, then horses with pink tails will be known as squatters and the trainers and owners will be outted.

Taking a horse to the HS office is all well and good, but I can't imagine that anyone there would actually accept responsibility for said horse.

mvp
Mar. 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
IMO, anyone who cut your lock off your stall can have their horse locked in it. They don't like it? Leave your cell phone number. That will do a couple of things:

Either get the squatter to call you, at which point you can have a conversation about it not happening again, compensation or whatever before you remove the lock.

Or they can cut off their own lock and know that you will give as good as you get. If they are inveterate squatters, they'll find easier pickings somewhere else.

Either way, oy vey!

CDE Driver
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
Or...

What about making a big sign, on rigid poster board, that says, in English and Spanish:

The horse that occupies this stall has "X" ("X" being some really obscure communicable disease with A LOT of letters) and the stall is infected with it. This disease is highly communicable and will result in career ending symptoms for both the horse and all handlers that come in contact with it.

Then tape the sign across the front of the stall! Throw in lots of skull and crossbones and that infectious diseases symbol.

And lock it with a humongous lock.

OneGrayPony
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
The fact that the lock was cut, to me, implies intent, not mistake. Dunno about you, but I don't go wandering around with bolt cutters "just 'cuz". I might carry them in a truck if I'm...ranching...or something, but it doesn't strike me as something I'd pack for WEF unless I intended to use it...kwim?

Anyway, I third the public humiliation via show manager route. While the other suggestions are most entertaining, they are along the lines of revenge and not problem-solving like rational adults.

I may, however, choose to take this statement back should anyone have anything REALLY good ;-)

Logical
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:32 PM
Easy solution for lock cutting: get a disc lock if it will fit. Disc locks can not be cut. They have to be drilled. Takes about 15-20 minutes depending on thickness of the disc lock. How do I know? Work at a self storage place. Also cable locks like those for bicycles can't be bolt cut like regular padlocks. Have to have cable cutters. Good luck OP.

Summit Springs Farm
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:10 PM
Most of the posts here are why its so difficult for show managers and exhibitors to get along. Obviously most of those responding have no idea about showing at WEF or Ocala.:no:

CBoylen
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
but it doesn't strike me as something I'd pack for WEF unless I intended to use it...
You'll only have a tack trunk lock malfunction or forget a combination once before bolt cutters become something you carry in your tool box. Because it's always the bridle trunk. Before the 8am model. I'm pretty sure there are many people packing them without the intent of committing grand theft alfalfa.

cadance
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
Maybe putting a sticker like this on your stall will help: http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/products/detail_md/360004101_md.jpg

OneGrayPony
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Good point CBoylen. Guess I accommodate via other means (as I'm also a triple-checker).

poltroon
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
You'll only have a tack trunk lock malfunction or forget a combination once before bolt cutters become something you carry in your tool box. Because it's always the bridle trunk. Before the 8am model. I'm pretty sure there are many people packing them without the intent of committing grand theft alfalfa.

My problem is, where do I keep the tool box where I don't need bolt cutters to get *it* open?!? :D

alto
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:45 AM
Most of the posts here are why its so difficult for show managers and exhibitors to get along. Obviously most of those responding have no idea about showing at WEF or Ocala.:no:

What then the solution?

:)

kmwines01
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:03 AM
Not sure what you mean Summit Springs.... Why are these facetious, funny, never going to actually be done responses the reason show managers can't get along with exhibitors?

Plumcreek
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:43 AM
....intent of committing grand theft alfalfa.

Why I always love it when you post on a thread.

Satin Filly
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:58 AM
Sheesh...well that was pretty ballsy of them. What the heck??? Honestly, its been a while since I've been to a big show, but back when I was showing...we NEVER had to lock up a stall?? How rediculous...and oh by the way, I'm appauled!! Is this happening all the time down there?