PDA

View Full Version : Do you or anyone you know of make braided horse hair bracelets?

akhunterrider
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
I have a friend who had her colt's tail hair made into a bracelet and I really like the idea. The person she had do it just does it for fun and charged her $5. Looking online I've seen that they're easily $50 and up. Does anyone know of a person who does it for less, or knows how to do it themselves? I would even be willing to give it a try myself, I'm just not sure where to start.

Brooke
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
I had one made from the tail of a wonderful mare I had to put down. It is a beautiful square braid with a hammered silver rectangular 'bead' and very nice silver clasps. It was expensive, but very worth it. I'd seen many online and several at tack sales, and this was by far the nicest. I really didn't mind paying the extra for something that I'm going to keep and that meant a lot to me. If you think of it as a keepsake, I don't think you'll mind paying a bit more for something you really like.

drawstraws
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
If you're on facebook, a friend of mine makes them and she does beautiful work! She can work from your hair or her own stock and she can either create one to your specifications or she also has some already made that you can choose from. Reasonable prices and they're really lovely.

Here's her page if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cindys-Creative-Designs-Page/165418416907172

Mukluk
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
I'd like to make my own. I expect I will have a few unsuccessful attempts before I get a good one.

sophie
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:27 PM
I used to make them and had a store on Etsy for that and other gemstone and sliver jewelry I made, but I was swamped with orders and had to stop. My etsy store is in permanent vacation now, lol, I really should just get rid of it.

Now I only make horsehair bracelets for people who ask me directly because someone gave them my name etc.
I charge around $60 for a bracelet, $80 for necklace + pendant, but I use all sterling silver components and genuine gemstones.
I love to make them, but I just don't have time to make lots of them!

You can find lots of info online and in books, and there are video that show you how to braid. I was doing a chevron braid, so my bracelets lie flat.

cloudyandcallie
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:39 PM
I was just thinking about this yesterday. No I don't want one but:
I let Cloudy's mane grown out over the winter, and it's time to cut it. He's got mostly white mane, and the small amt of grey mane at his poll has turned white with only a few grey hairs in it. Since it's not the long tail hairs, I don't know if anyone can use it.

If anyone wants the hair (I'm going to rubber band it first, then cut it so there will we about hmmm 4 inches of hair, I think) from his mane. It's FREE. And it will be clean. PM if anyone wants it. I do know that some people coveted his white tail for the hair but that is going to stay long.

BraidedTails
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have a friend who had her colt's tail hair made into a bracelet and I really like the idea. The person she had do it just does it for fun and charged her $5. Looking online I've seen that they're easily $50 and up. Does anyone know of a person who does it for less, or knows how to do it themselves? I would even be willing to give it a try myself, I'm just not sure where to start.

I also make horsehair keepsakes for horse lovers! You can check out my work at http://www.fb.com/braidedtails or download an order form and instructions from http://www.braidedtails.com/bt-order.pdf. :)