PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Update- I Qualified for Boston!

hey101
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
I haven't done a marathon in 15 years and last fall I decided out of the blue I wanted to qualify for Boston, sat down and signed up for Big Sur on Apr 29th 2012.

I'm up to the very long runs now- just did 20. Man I forgot how much time the 15+ mile runs suck up on a weekend! Running AND recovery :lol:

Pretty happy though, my training runs have all been faster than a Boston-qualifying time, so I'm feeling pretty confident. It's really hilly where I live as well, so it should be comparable to the Big Sur course.

Anyone else? Share encouragement here!

jumpingmaya
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Not doing it... but I've been entertaining the idea of starting 1/2 marathons...

So... BEST OF LUCK :yes:

Report back and let us know how it went!

BLBGP
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:52 PM
Good luck! Its a beautiful marathon. Be sure to mentally prepare yourself for lots of uphills and headwinds. ;)

Hevonen
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Good luck! Wow... training runs faster than your BQ time? What time are you trying to qualify at?

I qualified in December, hoping I can get in for 2013! I finished just two minutes under my BQ time (at 3:33) but I wish I had a marathon I could run close by to try and knock off a few more minutes and register a little earlier. Its already so hot down here that I don't think I'll be running anything hardcore until the fall. ):

hey101
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hevonen- you must be a guy :). (I don't know why I always assume everyone on here is a woman!). As a 35-yr old woman, my BQ time is only 3:45, and the lowest female time for any age group is only 3:40. I'm going to be satisfied with 3:44:59, but my stretch goal is pushing to do mid 3:30's. About 5 years, 2 kids, and 5-10lbs ago, my 1/2M time was 1:38 and change, and I could probably have peeled off a mid 3:20's. Of course, that was on the fairly-flat East Coast!

CONGRATS on qualifying!

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'm training for my first Half-Marathon; Hallstatt, in May. I ran my first 5k in October and have joined a running group, so we're training together.

I'll be happy to finish with a ten minute mile average. 47 years old, new runner, that'll do, pig. :lol:

Mukluk
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
It is the one and only marathon I ever did. It's stunningly beautiful and there is great entertainment along the way. Most famously the Concert Pianist on the Bixby Bridge. Have FUN!!!

hey101
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm training for my first Half-Marathon; Hallstatt, in May. I ran my first 5k in October and have joined a running group, so we're training together.

I'll be happy to finish with a ten minute mile average. 47 years old, new runner, that'll do, pig. :lol:

RR, I think it's awesome! I like training with a group, but I haven't really taken the time to find like-minded, like-paced people near by.

Plus my current schedule is so variable and packed on a day-to-day basis, that having to adhere to one more scheduled to-do like meeting a running group, would just add that much more stress to my life than simply throwing on the shoes and going out my front door when I have a block of time open up!

glfprncs
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
I'm running my 2nd half marathon on April 14th (my first was on Feb. 26th and it was my goal when I started running for the first time in my life back in October). I've contemplated running the Rock & Roll Savannah full on November 1st, but I'll be honest...I just don't know where you find the time for the long runs. In addition, I find running after work during the week to be a BEAR. Those shorter runs (and I'm only running 3-5 miles 2 days during the workweek and cross training 3 other days of the week with my long run day on Sunday) are AWFUL...10 miles on Sunday always seems to be easier than 3 miles on Tuesday.

Hevonen
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much, it was my first marathon and I was really happy with my time. It was a great day for me!

Haha, I do the same thing assuming boys aren't on this site! But actually I'm a 24 y.o. girl, our lowest BQ time is 3:35 as of the new times for qualifying in 2013. You might want to check, but I think your time is probably 3:40 for 2013, not 3:45.

Mine used to be 3:40, and it sounded so much nicer than 3:35. But they said they made the times more challenging since they had such an overwhelming number of entrie. Of course, with your current long run pace what it is, hopefully five minutes won't be too hard!

MommaMare
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:11 PM
No spring marathon for me, but I'm doing Marine Corps for the fourth time this fall. I BQ-ed there in 2009 but didn't run Boston, as I was pregnant. I'd love another BQ again this year, but I'm dealing with health issues and so we'll have to see... The new qualifying times and registration scheduling sure have made it harder! Good luck!

hey101
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
You might want to check, but I think your time is probably 3:40 for 2013, not 3:45.

Wow, color me completely uninformed (or really bad at googling! :lol:). You are absolutely right, and I am a little bit :eek::eek: now... I do need to run a 3:40. THANK YOU for clueing me in! Now I'm looking at 8:23/ mi instead of 8:35/ mi.

That's alright- I love a little pressure :D.

Wholehearted
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm doing the Bataan Memorial Death March this weekend and the Yakima River Canyon Marathon the week after.

After some hemming and hawing I've decided to try to put in a bid to join the Marathon Maniacs. The lowest level you have to run three in three months or two in a little over two weeks. I also ran a 50k last weekend.

I think next I want to try to qualify for Boston. I'm a good distance runner, just slow, so that would be a pretty significant challenge for me.

Hevonen
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
hey101 - No problem, I just happen to run with someone who has been keeping an eye on Boston times, ect. and knew that they were changing. I went from the glorious 8:23 mile to the far less awesome 8:12 mile. It was sad... but I actually ended up averaging 8:05, the race day excitement and the recovery weeks really gave me what I needed and more. As long as you don't overdo it in the next few weeks, you'll do great!

And if you want to run a fun marathon next December, come run the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, AL! Fast, flat, and very well organized. Not the prettiest course, but definitely a BQ race. :D

Wholehearted - Wow! So many races, that's awesome! Good luck qualifying! I did a 50k trail race at the end of January, it was great. I wish there were some more long distance races close to me, but going into summer (and being a working student without many free weekends) there isnt much going on around here... sigh. I want to do the three marathons in AL if I can, they're all within a few months of each other.

hey101
May. 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Happy Update, I ran my marathon this past Sunday and qualified for Boston, a lifelong goal as a lifelong runner!! :D

I ended up having to divert away from Big Sur due to a few unplanned trips to Europe for work, so I ran the Orange County Marathon right in my back yard. Had an awesome day and ran a 3:30:05! If I hadn't stopped to try and be a hero and carry my two kids across the finish line, I almost certainly could have done a sub 3:30. But I crushed my old PR by 16 minutes, so I was STOKED. (those few seconds cost me two days though in when I can sign up for Boston, grrr)

Hope everyone else's marathon goals were achieved!

Milocalwinnings
May. 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
What's the best way to train for a half marathon? I have a love-hate relationship with running... but I've always wanted to get motivated and do a half marathon. Right now I usually only run 2-5 miles. I think the furthest has been a 10k.

Chief2
May. 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Congratulations!

Reynard Ridge
May. 12, 2012, 03:26 AM
Happy Update, I ran my marathon this past Sunday and qualified for Boston, a lifelong goal as a lifelong runner!! :D

Excellent!!!

Reynard Ridge
May. 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
What's the best way to train for a half marathon? I have a love-hate relationship with running... but I've always wanted to get motivated and do a half marathon. Right now I usually only run 2-5 miles. I think the furthest has been a 10k.

Grab an on-line training schedule and follow it. If you're currently running, it's only 2-3 months to ramp up to the half. I did mine in 2:14 - slow but steady finishes the race. ;)