PDA

View Full Version : good Deviled egg recipies?

Larksmom
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
I love mine, [just add vinegar to mayo and mustard] umm, plus egg yolks of course. But there are so many. Of course, I could DRINK vinegar, so people sometimes avoid my eggs...:lol: You?

sk_pacer
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
The standard around here always was egg yolks mixed with Kraft Sandwich Spread - all the older women, and in many instances, their daughters, still make devilled eggs that way. Sandwich Spread is a multi-purpose ingredient here: devilled eggs, tuna, salmon, egg, and ham salad sandwiches.......a very long list, simply because the stuff was cheap and and is pretty tasty. It's tarted up Miracle Whip

Perfect Pony
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
My husbands secret ingredient! Cilantro Pepita Caesar Salad Dressing
http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/worldFood/eltorito.aspx

Add some Cholula
http://www.cholula.com/

minnie
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
People scarf up my d eggs and I'm always asked to bring them. Makes me laugh as they're just miracle whip, splash of cider vineger and dash of salt. I always tell them it's a secret recipe. Many times "less is more".

Appsolute
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
My mom's deviled eggs (which are usually a hit)

Eggs
Mayonnaise (the real stuff! no miracle whip out here in Cali :) )
Yellow Mustard
Sweet pickle relish
dash of hot sauce (tapatillo)
sprinkle paprika on top

My "Foodie" Friend's recipe (which is really really good, devoured at her baby shower..)
QUAIL eggs
Mayonnaise
Dijon Mustard
Fresh squeezed lemon
white pepper
topped with flying fish roe and sprigs of fresh dill.

retreadeventer
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
Does anyone whip (electric beater whip) the yellows with mayo, a little dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and a tiny pinch of white pepper, then load them by spoonful into the whites, top with paprika sprinkled lightly? My homies like them that way....

happymom
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:38 PM
add horseradish sauce

pony4me
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Go to a farmer's market, etc. and get some fresh, free-range eggs. It's amazing how much better a deviled egg tastes when you start with an especially tasty egg.

Peggy
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
add a bit of curry powder.

Larksmom
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
But then I would eat it on a bologna sandwich. can't bring myself to eat bologna anymore so i haven't bought ss for a while! Isn't it similar to Thousand Island dressing?
On the OT, I brought this up because I saw a recipie on TV last night/this morning for deviled eggs with Old Bay in them. Evryone was commenting on how good they were. What is in Old Bay? Aren't most of the spice packets, [Like Lipton's Instant onion soup} mostly salt anyway? I still can't cook a roast with out Liptons.:yes: And they are DELICIOUS!

allikat819
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
You all are making me crave some deviled eggs.

Lydia Bosley
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
Okay - I always make the whole dozen so these amounts - estimates - are for that many egg yolks. Mash the yolks well, add about 3 Tbs. of mayonnaise (not, please!, Miracle Whip!!),stir in well, dribble in a couple of teaspoons of white vinegar, mix well, taste, add more vinegar until you are happy, add a few sprinkles of salt, mix, taste... this is the basic beginning so get it balanced to where you like the taste, THEN, add dry (powdered) mustard,
maybe ~1 tsp., and curry powder,~ 1 tsp. stir together and taste until it's perfect, then,finally, grate some really sharp cheddar cheese on the finest / smallest holes on your grater - maybe between 1/2 c. and 1 whole cup grated... and once you stir that in well, you should be pretty happy with it! Last of all once the eggs are filled, the traditional sprinkle of paprika on top - these always disappear IMMEDIATELY at parties! My husband likes to add a little sweet pickle relish but I think that ruins them!:( ...but try it if you like relish... Have fun!

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
Does anyone whip (electric beater whip) the yellows with mayo, a little dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and a tiny pinch of white pepper, then load them by spoonful into the whites, top with paprika sprinkled lightly?

same here, that's our traditional deviled egg recipe. However I don't spoon-fill them. I grab a ziploc sandwich bag, add egg filling, snip one corner off and pipe in filling. Don't have to hold the egg white and it's a lot easier and faster. :D

I also make some with added horseradish. A lot of it. When we make the hotter eggs my family likes them able to clear your sinuses. :lol:

And for Easter...the ham is ALWAYS served surrounded by green colored Easter eggs. We always have green eggs and ham for Easter since we were tots. :winkgrin:

Lydia Bosley
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:39 PM
Okay - I always make the whole dozen so these amounts - estimates - are for that many egg yolks. Mash the yolks well, add about 3 Tbs. of mayonnaise (not, please!, Miracle Whip!!),stir in well, dribble in a couple of teaspoons of white vinegar, mix well, taste, add more vinegar until you are happy, add a few sprinkles of salt, mix, taste... this is the basic beginning so get it balanced to where you like the taste, THEN, add dry (powdered) mustard,
maybe ~1 tsp., and curry powder,~ 1 tsp. stir together and taste until it's perfect, then,finally, grate some really sharp cheddar cheese on the finest / smallest holes on your grater - maybe between 1/2 c. and 1 whole cup grated... and once you stir that in well, you should be pretty happy with it! Last of all once the eggs are filled, the traditional sprinkle of paprika on top - these always disappear IMMEDIATELY at parties! My husband likes to add a little sweet pickle relish but I think that ruins them!:( ...but try it if you like relish... Have fun!

Digit2009
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
Mine have salmon and finely chopped green onions in them. Recipe came from a french chef who worked for my aunt's MIL I've always gotten rave reviews and most can't place the salmon in them :-)

cooljenn77
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:26 PM

me too and it's like death to a preggo LOL but it doesn't take much for me to crave something.

saddleup
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
I also crumble in some crisp bacon.

suz
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
oh man, now i want to go to a deviled egg tasting!
for those who use really fresh eggs, how on earth do you peel them?

sk_pacer
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
oh man, now i want to go to a deviled egg tasting!
for those who use really fresh eggs, how on earth do you peel them?

Crack the shell, roll the whole egg around on the counter until the shell is all in little bits, then peel carefully under water, either running or in a bowl.

rustbreeches
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
add a bit of curry powder.

This! This is my mom's secret recipe, although for the entire length of my folk's marriage, dad thought it was paprika.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:45 PM
I am the Deviled Egg Queen of my family. I am normally not admitted to family functions without them. :) I often do 2 dozen eggs to take somewhere. I use miracle whip, vinegar, Nature's Season salt and a little celery seed. I also use a pastry blender to mix them - gets the lumps out much better than a mixer.

Bells
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:48 PM
Peeling is very easy if you dump a few tablespoons of baking soda in the water prior to boiling them- check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y I've never tried blowing them out but it sure works on even fresh eggs.

ohrebecca
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
me too and it's like death to a preggo LOL but it doesn't take much for me to crave something.

Oh man, I'm right there with you! The second I saw this thread title I was like "I WANT SOME!!!!"

I just do mayo, regular mustard, yolk, and a pinch of sugar. I think I'm out of mayo, otherwise I'd make some right now...

laskiblue
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:43 AM
My sister adds a little bit of Old Bay seasoning to the mayo, mustard, and yolks and the result is outstanding.

Bacardi1
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
I've yet to meet a Deviled Egg I didn't like, so really any filling recipe works for me so long as it's not sweet. For me, it's all about the toppings/garnishes. My favorites:

Sliced green olives - any variety
Kalamata olives
Anchovies - flat or rolled with a caper in the center
Pimento/roasted red pepper pieces
Tiny cooked shrimp
Tarragon leaves
Small cubes of smoked ham - any type
Caviar/Roe - any type
Slices of Cornichon pickle
Cooked asparagus tips (just the very tip/bud)

ESG
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
If you soak your boiled eggs in cold water immediately after cooking (keep replenishing the cold water after it warms from contact with the eggs, until cool), you'll never have trouble peeling them. I guess the contact with the cold causes the eggs to contract in the shell, or some such chemical reaction. In any case, it works.

My deviled eggs have chopped smoked salmon, a little garlic powder, black pepper and chopped nonpareil capers with just enough mayo (NOT Miracle Whip or any other substitute), topped with a lumpfish caviar/fresh dill sprig garnish. They always disappear. :cool:

Adamantane
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:47 PM
Coleman's dry mustard gives better results than any of the prepared mustards in my view.

And most definitely mayo rather than salad dressing like Miracle Whip.

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
And for Easter...the ham is ALWAYS served surrounded by green colored Easter eggs. We always have green eggs and ham for Easter since we were tots. :winkgrin:

What an absolutely adorable idea! My son will get a huge kick out of it. I am stealing this. :yes:

nasalberry
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:34 PM

^THIS!!^
:p

ChocoMare
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
I do a whole dozen too, if not two.

Once I remove all the cooked yolks, I push them with a hard spatula thru a fine sieve. It almost doubles the amount of yolk and get's em fluffy with NO lumps.

Hellman's Mayo
French's Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Texas Pete to taste.

And, like MistyBlue, I pipe them into the white halves... Sprinkle with Paprika.

Trixie
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
PINK deviled eggs. The coolest. (http://www.thekitchn.com/showstopper-recipe-beetpickle-151550)