PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be a Grandma

KBC
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
And even though I'm on the wrong side of 50, and my son is top side of 30, I'm not ready to be called Grand-mamma:mad:

For some reason it seems to be important to the newly expecting to know what the 'bean' is going to call me...any ideas?

Is it to soon to buy the Bean a pony?

ohrebecca
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
No, not too soon to buy the bean a pony - I'm 12 weeks along and already pushing for a pony for our bean!!

You can have the bean call you anything you feel comfortable with! I grew up on the Polish side of my family so we use "Babci" BUT my mom doesn't want to be known as Babci, so she's gonna be 'grammy' or some variation :)

Oh, and - CONGRATS!!! Are you excited?? :)

lcw579
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
My mother was a young grandmother - as in under 50. She had married young and so had my oldest sister. She thought it was hysterical to be called "Granny" since she was youthful. It stuck and she has long since grown into the name. :winkgrin:

ladybugred
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
There's Bubbie.

When my cousins and I were little, we called our Gran Sweetheart.

I hate to tell you, but the bean will decide what to call you!

Congrats!!

LBR

KBC
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
I am over the moon for them, but probably need to recover some ground with the parents to be.....when asked if I would prefer a girl or a boy, I just couldn't stop myself asking if a puppy would be out of the question:winkgrin:

Seriously though, who asks what sex you would prefer, it's not like we have any choice in the matter:lol: Besides it's a boy, I just know it.

lcw579
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
A puppy. That's great! I think you will be a fun grandmother - whatever the bean calls you.

Congrats and have fun pony shopping. :)

pony grandma
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
The first time that child looks at you and says Grandma - honestly - you'll LOVE IT.

Nothing sounds sweeter to me than hearing then call me that now. And the first time the little one hugged my neck and announced to me "YOU'RE 'the pony' grandma" I about melted!

I already had 'the pony' - my 50" driving Welsh. He's being put on joint meds and has a new career now!! Me too! more horsey girls to raise right!

ReSomething
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
Up in Eastern is meemaw and paa paw, ( paa like pat ). Congratulations and I am sure you'll love whatever name you create!

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe try:
Mother, the Sequel
:winkgrin:

My oldest sister and her husband go by Boompa the Girl and Boompa the Boy. Go figure that one out, LOL! That's what all 3 of their grandchildren call them. The kids made it up when they started talking.

My mother has a billion grandkids and most of them had different names for her. One called her Blah. :lol: For years!

My grandmother was The Chief. Or just Chief. Never Gram, Grammy, Grandma, etc. She'd give you the Hairy Eyeball if you called her any of those. We went over Grampy and The Chiefs for holidays. :winkgrin:

You may end up with your own family version of Grandma. :cool:

And congrats Haffy on your pending grandchild!

(and congrats OhRebecca on your pregnancy too!)

Coreene
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Haffy, congratulations! We had a granny at our barn who was 30. I am so not making this up. They came and had a multi-generational photo taken: baby, mama age 15, granny age 30, great granny age 45, great great age 61 and great great great age 76 or 77. Such an oy vey moment.

mswillie
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
Congratulations! My daughter-in-law's due date is tomorrow and I still haven't decided what I want my grandson to call me.

Guess I'd better figure that out soon.

Here is a picture of his first pony. Perched prominently on top of the diaper cake.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2490217314526&set=a.1662702067162.68757.1825558753&type=1&theater

KBC
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:43 PM
Awesome cake MSW, I think I'll buy Bean a softy pony after the first scan, when it all becomes real:)

Long Spot
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Many Congrats, Haffy. I had my first and only in september at 39. I think my parents had all but given up.

I think you'll find it was more than worth the wait. Really excited for you. :cool::yes:

kookicat
Mar. 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
Congrats! :D

saddleup
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:19 PM
Congratulations! I have two little grandsons and they're truly a joy. I'm "Nana", by the way. The other grandmother laid claim to "Grandma", which was fine with me.

KBC
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have it....

I was looking at a site that gives ideas and one of them was G Mom, now seeing as my number one horse is Appy Gilmore, known by most people G Man.

rustbreeches
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Congrats!! My mom was Duckie to DD for a little while, but she is solidly Gigi now. To everybody. Everywhere. She says it is G. G. for gorgeous grandma!

lcw579
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:04 AM
Here's a picture of my grandbaby, Eggnacio. He doesn't call me anything yet. ;)

Liscar
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:06 AM
Congratulations!!! I became a grandma two years ago last Monday, and when I first found out, I was horrified!! I was only 41!! But, that little ray of sunshine is such a true blessing!! I could be in the worst mood, and all I have to hear is "Gamma!!" and all the dark clouds lift away and the sun shines bright!! She's awesome and I didn't think I could love her so much!!

moonriverfarm
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
I became a grandmother May 12, 2010 and it was the best day of my life. I was in the room when she was born. Today she loves me the most of anybody (except maybe her mama and daddy but even that is in question!) I wanted to be called "Nahla" as in Lion King mama lion, but it has come out "Nahna" and it is music to my ears. She loves going to see the horses, she is a dog lover and a free spirit and my favorite toy! You just don't know how much fun you are going to have and how much joy will be born on that day!

ChocoMare
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Congratulations!!! :D

If there's greek in your history, go with YiaYia!

For German: Oma :winkgrin:

Alagirl
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
Late to the party...

But now you know what to do with that pony of yours you were asking about a couple weeks ago: The baby needs a RIDE! ;)

KBC
Sep. 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
Coming back to this one, the whole family was devastated to find that the baby wasn't developing, and sadly our little 'Viking' didn't make it.

On the other hand, they are now 4 months along with a new baby, and so far, touch wood, all is well.:D

So February next year is hopefully the foaling date, good choice, before seeding and too cold to do anything outside at that time of year.

FalseImpression
Sep. 1, 2012, 11:23 PM
I replied before I realized it was an old thread and then I saw your update. I am so sorry! Hoping everything is well with this one. My DIL is due the last week of January!

lol My daughter does not want children, so I have ordered a donkey!!
My son and his wife are expected no.2 for the end of January and found out on Thursday that it is another girl! I really thought it would be a boy this time because everything was/is different with the pregnancy! But no.. girl.

GDD no. 1 calls me Grandma and I hate it. Yes I am over 60, but I never called my grandmothers Grandma or Grand-maman (the other grandmother is also French and much younger than I am and she is Grand-maman... geez!). I wanted Mamy, like my grandmothers and my mom... They are 6 hours away from me so I don't have to hear it too much!!

Good luck!

tallyho392
Sep. 2, 2012, 09:32 AM
i didn't realize it was such an old thread,ether.......but blessings for your on-the -way grandchild..........

i didn't want the grammy thing either....besides, MY mother, who is still alive, is grammy to MY kids, so didn't want the redundancy.............and yes, the beans willcome up with their own names............my DD an i had sorta decided to refer to me as oma.........but my grandson just shortened it to "o"......and calls his autie marnie "i"...........seems he is into initials...............so, i am officially "o"...........and it's so funny, when he arrives and says "oh, hi, o..".........lol..

mswillie
Sep. 2, 2012, 03:15 PM
OP, I'm sorry for your family's loss and hope that this pregnancy has a wonderful outcome.

My son and DIL had my first grandchild in March and I still haven't figured out what I want him to call me. Grand-mom and mom-mom just don't seem to be working out. I'm at a loss but maybe he'll come up with something.