PDA

View Full Version : BEST Vinyl or hardwood floor cleaner?

NJRider
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
I hate, hate mopping the floor....a lot of people seem to like Swifters. I see there are some similar products made by Clorox and Pledge....What is recommended as the best device to clean floors?

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Those suck and cost a fortune.

If you want easy and fast...try either buying a rubbermaid spray mop...you add your own water and cleaner to it each time. The pad can go in the washer and be used over and over.

Or buy a steam mop. They make tons of them now for not much money. I've had one for about ten years now. Fill it with water, plug it in and wait 5 minutes for it to heat up and then just walk around swiping it over the floor. No scrubbing...gets hot enough to remove most dirt without doing anything other than swiping it along. It also dried almost instantly. No cleaners used or needed. Floors are spotless. LOVE mine. (I have the rubbermaid spray mop too for fast cleanups daily. that thing also rocks)

HorseLuvr
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
I don't like Swifters at all. My floors are hardwood and I always use Murphy's Oil Soap with a regular sponge mop. It cleans well, smells good, and is not tainted with tons of chemicals.

Belair
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
I love my rubbermaid spray mop for my laminate. I run over the floors with the dry mop pad every few days and then use the wet one once a week or so. I usually use water/vinegar or water/Shaklee all-purpose cleaner. Then you just throw the pads in the wash. Just make sure you buy a few extra of both the dry and wet pads...you'll want them.

NJRider
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
The Spray Mop and steam cleaner sound like the way to go! I hate hate cleaning floors...thanks!

Brookes
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
I adore my Shark steam mop! It is easy to use and does a killer job cleaning my tile and laminate floors! If it ever dies I will buy another one immediately. It makes the floors sparkle and really cleans all the nasties up. With big dogs running through the house all the time with dirty feet, drooling all over the place this thing has saved my sanity! I look forward to mopping!! Who knew??

You won't be sorry if you get one of these I promise!

NJRider
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
I was actually just looking at wallworld online to see the what they carried and was reading about the Shark....good to know!

Guin
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
For hardwood, use Murphy's oil soap and a damp mop.

You could use some sort of ammonia-based cleaner for the vinyl.

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
Yep, like Belair said, if you get the spray mop grab at least one extra pad. :yes:

You can put Murphy's in the cleaning bottle for wood floors.

And the steam mops...BEST invention EVAH! :D I don;t have a Shark one, mine is 10 years old and it's a Eureka Enviro-Mop. (IIRC) It still works awesome and like Brookes said...so easy, so labor-free and gets things so clean it's sterilized...you actually enjoy cleaning floors! :lol:

I've had mine a decade and use it at least once a week (I spray mop in between) and I *still* grin and marvel at how clean my floors are after one casual swipe. And my floors get gross...2 large dogs, a farm, I'm in and out a billion times daily, a husband, etc. Drool, dried on dog food, those weird unexplained sticky spots that grab your socked feet....gone in one swipe.

They're worth every penny. I think they cost a lot less now. I bought mine for $199 back then from the Frontgate catalog. (only place that had them then I think) Now I think most types are $60-$90 or so. Maybe less. Don't bother with the ones that supposedly vaccuum too, I've heard those suck. Well, don't suck, LOL!

Coreene
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
Dirtex spray, in the paint section at Home Depot, for everything except onto straight wood. Divine.

Brookes
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
Well ladies I just finished doing the floors with my little Shark steam mop! Gag the nasty dog drool with dirt mixed in everywhere is just so special! Long ropey strings of it . . . .well you get the picture.

My husband walked into the kitchen and I just turned around and smiled and said "God I love this thing!!!!" It is the best invention since sliced freaking bread!

I have the one that the piece detaches so you can clean vertical or counter top surfaces. I used it on the shower tile before they installed the new enclosure. The shower installer said it was the cleanest shower he had ever seen. Good thing he didn't come a week earlier!

You can also use it as a clothes steamer! This sucker rocks!

I know I by original one at Target so I went back there to get my new one. The old one worked great but I wanted the detachable handheld option. I gave my husband my old one for his office. I don't let him play with mine at home, I get to have the fun! Who would have thought scrubbing floors could be fun????

allikat819
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:57 PM
I don't have hardwood, but for the vinyl in my bathroom and kitchen I use white vinegar and water with a touch of an essential oil so it smells nice. It cleans well and I don't have to worry about any chemicals.

trip*
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
I love love love my Eureka Enviro Steamer. We have dark hardwood throughout the house(kitchen included), and with two dogs it gets dirty fast! One swipe with the steam mop and the floors look brand new!

I had a H2O Deluxe steam mop but that sucker left so much water behind, it took 10 minutes for the floors to dry. The Eureka uses the perfect amount of steam and the floors dry within seconds.

LauraKY
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:30 PM
Thank you! Just ordered my steam mop.

Mukluk
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
I also was inspired to get a steam mop. I got the Shark pro steam pocket mop. I hope it works well and lasts a good long time. I need all the house cleaning help I can get!!!

NJRider
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Looks like it is an epidemic! I got the Shark Steam mop and vac and it worked great. The floor does have a nicer feeling compared to running a dirty mop across it....and it is very easy to use and takes very little time.

Brookes
Mar. 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
You guys won't be sorry you got the Shark! I love that sucker! It is so easy to use!

Just don't put your mop heads in the dryer after you wash them, they will shrink up and not fit the plastic head.

It takes one quarter of the time to do all my downstairs floors and I have tons of tile and laminate! It goes so quickly that I no longer dread doing it! Now if they can come up with a shark steam toilet cleaner!! Hmmm, may have to try it on that!