PDA

View Full Version : intresting family finds..

bumknees
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have doodled around with my family tree for about 11 yrs now.
But have hesitated on my fathers side as his parents divorced when he was young. He was adopted by her 2nd husband, He had no contact with his bio father who remarried. I did not even know of this until after my grandmothers death in 1990.

Anway through a bit of on line digging I found that bio grandfather remarried, which is why I really did not dig around a lot on that side just incase there were children by the 2nd marrage; who were not aware of the first marrage to my grandmother. I did not wish to open that can of worms.

Assuming what I found is correct These particular items found on find a grave. The rest through family history and documents.

I am related to FDR, Ulysses S Grant, Allen Sheppard and Mayflower passanger Richard Warren...

It seems that through both lines of my family on at least 3 trees I cant swing a cat with out hitting some intresting thing...
Like on my mothers moms line somewhere down like 10 generations I've got the guy who had the first brewery in Pa..., And one of the first quakers to sign an anti slavery pact in the us ( for which is was put out of the meeting<not the termology the Quakers use> for). Someone who served with Geo washington not only at Braddocks defeat but at the battle of Trenton, one of the first presidents of what is now Princeton university... On her fathers side got someone who was in the first signal corps, after serving in the 88th OVI during the civil war to go on to recieve what was the equilivant of todays purple heart..

so far only one person has been in prison for what I have no clue but he was there at the time of the 1900 census... Going to have to find out why somehow just have to find out how first...

Anyone else have intresting finds in their family?

sketcher
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
My grandmother got into geneology when she retired and discovered that between both sides of the family, the kids in my family - me and my siblings - are direct descendants of 3 pilgrims who came over on the Mayflower. She got all excited and made us join the Mayflower Society :rolleyes: because we were the only ones with 3 'crosses'...

One of them was John Howland, the fella who could not stand to be below deck for so long and came up for a breath of fresh air and fell off the ship. My grandmother gave my mother 'Howland' as a middle name. I was reading about him recently, he opened the first trading post in Maine. That was mildly interesting.

It does worry me though to be so closely related to a bunch of religious zealots. Hopefully my three Pilgrims were all business people who saw an opportunity...

drawstraws
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
I found out a few years ago that my grandfather (or who I always thought was my grandfather) on my father's side was not his biological dad. He passed away when I was young and he and my grandmother were divorced before that so I never knew him, he really wasn't part of the family anymore. (At least, I always thought they were divorced but I recently came across my grandmother's death certificate and it said "widowed" so maybe they were only separated.)

I was looking through my parents' wedding album and asked my mother if my grandfather had been invited to the wedding since he wasn't in any of the pictures and she said yes, but he chose not to attend and actually didn't even respond to the invite. I asked her when my grandparents were divorced and she said that it was when my dad was in high school and that he always blamed my dad for it. I asked why and she admitted that it was because he wasn't my dad's father. Apparently grandma had an affair at some point that the whole town knew about but it was never spoken of openly. Mom said she wonders about my dad's younger brother and who his real father is but she doesn't know for sure. I asked when my dad found out and she said that my grandmother sent him a letter while he was in the army in Viet Nam. Nice! Sitting in the middle of a war and get a letter from your mom saying "Oh, by the way, I've never told you this, but...."

I asked if I knew who his real dad was and she said no, it would just be a name to me, although he did attend my grandmother's funeral and my dad looks just like him. It weirded me out for a while but now it's just one of those family stories, although I don't know if my dad knows I know. I've discussed it with my brothers but see no reason to bring it up with my dad. I do kind of wonder what our real last name "should" be sometimes though.

So, not something I dug up through research, but it was strange to find out nonetheless.

JanM
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
Drawstraws-in many states I believe that the last name you all have is correct. In many jurisdictions the legal husband of a woman is considered to be the legal father of the child, despite who the biological father is. So if stepgrandpa was married to grandma at the time of your dad's birth, then was legally the father. And in some places if the parentage is not the legal husband, and later the mother or whoever wants to change the birth certificate or name to the real father, then it can be tough to do.

Years ago, there was a famous actress who had an affair, had a child by the boyfriend, and the current husband was legally the dad. Apparently everyone acknowledged who the biofather was, and when the woman divorced husband one, and married the boyfriend there was a huge court battle to change the child's legal name and parentage so the child could be legally the child of his biofather, who was his stepfather until the legal glitches were straightened out.

boosma47
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
My family sarch has been ongoing for six years or so, but much had been done previously, so I was just verifying things I had always heard. My father's family is old Massachusetts and had always known of links to the Pilgrims. We have a close attachment to the Pamet River in Truro MA down which many of the Pilgrims ventured before they headed to Plymouth. They found corn along this river. Anyhow, turns out there were 7 direct ancestors that came on the Mayflower from my dad's side, and one from my mom's side. There are connections with Benjamin Franklin, the Adams family and Salem 'witches' and Massasoit's brother, Quadequina (who intro'ed popcorn!).
Mom's side, one line at least, includes Sarah Josepha Hale, the writer of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb", the editor of the first woman's journal in the US and the greatest influence on the establishment of Thanksgiving as a national holiday. This side goes back to early Scottish nobility thru the Stewarts and into France.
Dad's European background is mostly Englishand Norman, back to the Plantagenents, who were originally French.
The Pilgrims were very interesting a group, and quite different from the rigidly dogmatic Puritans. They are often confused and lumped together, but their origins were opposing sides. Pilgrims simply sought freedom to follow their own beliefs within their community. The Puritans, on the other hand, were followers of the Cromwellian uprising, responsible for massive religious persecution and destruction in England and Ireland They brought their strict dogma here to Boston and continued persecuting those who did not follow their dictates. Among these were Quakers and Anne Hutchinson, who was banished and ended up being massacred in what is now Westchester Co NY by an Indian raid. She was another ancestor.
One could assume those with such an ancestral background are 'elites'. Far from it, as it is said that 34million Americans are descended from the Pilgrims. These early folk were not gentry, were not anything more than those seeking the freedom of worship, and willing to risk everything to find it.
I am proud to be descended from these simple people of principle, and humbled by their courage and tradition of freedom.

CVPeg
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
I am related to Mayflower passanger Richard Warren...

Hi, Cousin! ;)

We all just found out about our Mayflower connections over the past 5 years or so. Heard endless stories about my father's side of the family (Germany - came over mid 1800's) but little about my mother's side, except about her Danish sea captain grandfather.

One sister started getting into the geneology, and was able to solve a missing link from my mother's family to Daniel Hill, who founded Calais ME. He married a descendant of Richard Warren's.

I visited Plymouth a few years back, and reportedly Richard Warren has the most descendants of all the Pilgrims, including the librarian who helped me there.

Both sisters have joined the Mayflower Society as well. It's down on my list of "someday I guess".

You know, I think it took some spirit to make that trip, and is not a trait unlike so many involved with horses...:cool:

LauraKY
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
My grandmother always said we were related to Kaiser Wihelm...never bothered to check.

Mukluk
Mar. 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't have much interest in geneology but my Grandmother did. She compiled my full pedigree for several generations on my father's side of the family. I have the "pedigree" to qualify for Daughters of the American Revolution or whatever but I have zero interest since I'm a liberal hippie type. The most interesting thing to me was to learn that I have a Cherokee indian ancestor- which is obvious since I have reddish/blond hair and green eyes :lol:

KathyR
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Kin to Robert E. Lee on my father's side. Turns out my uncle-mother's brother-invented heavy water for the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima. My brother helped create the computer systems for the stealth fighter plane. Me-not math or science inclined.

RaeHughes
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
I've been doing this with my dad's side of the family on and off for the last few years. A bit difficult when he is the 1st generation in NZ (came out with his parents). the UK heritage sites are great.

Pleased to say we are nothing much :winkgrin:- crofters turned coal miners with the highland clearances turned immigrants to coal miners. Some interesting stories (of course) but the best so far .... We have a semi-moved graveyard that forms part of our Botanical Gardens and I have found the gravestone for a "lost" great great uncle who disappeared from the records in Scotland but there was no death certificate, no record of him enlisting .... but an outstanding arrest warrant :) Yes, my GGU skipped bail and stowed away on a ship on the Clyde to get away from being hung for sheep-stealing. I found his gravestone in my home town well away from Scotland - with the very PC term "died of his injuries" inscribed. A little bit of digging and it seems he didnt learn - his "injuries" were sustained in a wide-ranging street brawl on our old docks :eek:

And I have also just found that one of the judges I compete in front of in dog obedience is a 2nd cousin on my mum's side

Natalie A
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:58 PM
My dad just got into the genealogy stuff, and it turns out a branch of his side of the family came over just after the Mayflower and has documentation of having fought in the Revolutionary War. I always thought/was told that everyone came here in the 1800s, so that was interesting.

But the weird thing is that the relatives in the 1600s all lived in a town in CT where I ended up working last fall, totally obscure and very strange to find that they lived there!

My great, great grandfather was a ship captain and went all kinds of exotic and interesting places. Even found a picture of the boat he was on.

Also clarified some things about how my family moved West, we always thought they were in Oklahoma - turns out it was Missouri. So that's interesting.

But so far no one famous! :lol:

bumknees
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hey cuz.. Yea I think back then they took th go forth and populate quite seriously.. I know once upon a time ( 1916 or so) if you had the sername of frampton chances are you were related to this one guy who was part of will penns govt. n pa. and he only had like 3 kids but his descendants.. like my granny was the eldest of 12 :0 .
the one thing im going to hate about this whole thing is that Im going to have to drive to get all these places to get the darn documents...

And come this Sept.. the hardest thing is Im going to have to break to my 80yo uncle that his fathers parents were not married when he was born... He is the one who started me on this adventure .. he is the one who wanted to know.

Oh yeah also have Disney and Marrs in the famil and no dont get in for free or the candy either

Laurierace
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
We had a family reunion for my Mom's family last summer and someone traced us back to the 1700's in Harford county Maryland which I thought was pretty cool since that is where I have lived for the past 11 years. I am from Iowa so it's not like we just never left!

kateh
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
My uncle (paternal side) and my grandfather (maternal side) got really into genealogy. On my dad's side we've been in the US since the 1600's and owned land in the Carolinas before there were two of them. We had family who fought on both sides of the Civil War, and one family that seems to have illegally owned slaves in (then frontier) Iowa. :uhoh: Also related to Daniel Boone, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Mom's side all immigrated from Austria or Germany around the turn of the century. Grandfather found copies of the ship's log from their journey with my great-great-great(?) grandmother's signature, traveling alone with her 3 kids. Waaay back there's some old family story about a couple having an illicit romance, when my great(x many) grandfather was a guard and my great(x many) grandmother worked in the kitchen of a castle. Apparently they had to run away to get married. No idea if this is true, but it's a cool story.

maxiford812
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure I'm not related to anyone famous. As my German grandfather said when someone asked him if his family had a coat of arms, "We were lucky to have a coat to put on our arms." :)

sk_pacer
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
I can't go back very far - too many European records were destroyed in all the wars. Got back to 1868 via papers that my paternal grandfather carried with him (army discharge and other things required for travel) but can find nothing more on that branch. Paternal grandmother is a bit better, and there are still relatives overseas. Materal grandmother, well, not much for records in Russia, particularly for 'those people' whose land was swallowed up in the mid 19th century. Paternal grandfather, a bit more, enough to realise the horse thing is genetic since the last name isn't that common and people of the same name are still showing all over Europe.

gdolapp
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:53 PM
My Mom and her twin sister have worked on their side of the family for years and my Mom started my Dad's.

They found that my generation I would be a 2nd cousin to George Washington 13 times removed.

They also found and I can't remember how many greats back she would be but Polly Hawkins Craig is one of my great grandmothers. She led the women to the river during the Battle of Blue Licks.

My Mom is still working on my Dad's side and has found that his lineage crosses Frank and Jessie James by marriage.

Polydor
Mar. 19, 2012, 03:50 AM
Someone on on my mom's mother side of the family did the entire family tree going back a fair ways (i think 1700 in england somewhere). I was younger when I first saw it so didn't really pay attention to it other then the fact that I am related to Red Pollard - Seabiscuit's long time jockey :D

Will have to ask Grandma about getting a copy of that family tree next time I'm home.

P.

sketcher
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:02 PM
The Pilgrims were very interesting a group, and quite different from the rigidly dogmatic Puritans. They are often confused and lumped together, but their origins were opposing sides.

The Pilgrims were puritans. The Puritans with a capitol P came a little later.

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/PSNoteNewPilgrimPuritan.htm

sprite
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:04 PM
on my paternal grandmothers side, one of her...uncles? I think (its been over a yr since I looked) was shot dead by his brother in law :eek:. (at least i **think** that was their relationship)

my maternal grandfather's family founded the town of Hudson WI, and there is monument to them in the town square.

nobody famous, but kind of cool :)

Miichelle
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'm so jealous of you all. I used to be able to trace my family back to the Howertons who came over in 1607 on the Reliance. About a year ago (at 42 yrs old) I found out I was adopted. Now I'd just be happy to find out the names of my biological parents.

appdream
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:11 AM
Just this week my SO and I were discussing my great-great-uncle, who had a hugh indentation in his neck from an injury from an arrow. I ask my cousin (the geneology expert) for some info on him. Working from this information, I determined that he was in the 7th Calvary and one of 39 men injured at the Massacre at Wounded Knee.

The family tree on this side has been traced back to 1200's.

re-runs
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:29 PM
I am related to Alexander Hamilton on my father`s mother`s side. I also, am proud to say, I have a good amount of Cherokee (Trail of Tears) blood mixed in. I have uncles, including my dad, that looked very similar to portraits of A.H. when he/they were young. I am also related to a notorious western lawman that many movies have been made about and not always in a flattering light but I would rather the truth be told than to sugar coated it, even if they were my relative.

My husbands family has kept records from as far back as 1056. Their family came from England and are very proud that they had a relative that came over on the Anne. Not so proud of the fact that they had a relative sell himself into bondage to afford the trip to America from Wales, trying to escape the shame of having fathered an illegitimate child. (Considered very bad in those days) They also boast of being related to George Washington`s physician. Lots of famous people closer up, founder of a major Amercian University etc. I think knowing who you came from gives you confidence as long as you don`t get too snobbish about it. They kept most of the records in an old trunk found in an attic on a farm where they lived for generations. VERY intersting reading; those fragile ancient documents.

The really amazing thing about knowing something about each side of our geneology came when we moved to a small town 32 years ago and discovered that my husbands relative established the first general store there and that he was best friends with a relative of mine back in the 1820s.
We had no idea when we gave up our good jobs in a major city and chose this small town, that we had any ties to it at all but we decided to settle there because it instantly felt like home.

Makes one think if the theory that we keep meeting the same souls over and over again might be true.