PDA

View Full Version : Holidays You Hated in School

dressagetraks
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:18 AM
I was just being grateful this morning, as I am every year on this day, that I'm not in school anymore.

Seriously? Going around pinching somebody because they don't wear green on a certain day? Not that I intentionally boycotted St. Patrick's Day, just had a busy life and never have cared much about clothes in it. I'm covered; I have clothes on; fine. Often it was green, as I like that color and also blue. Besides, I have green eyes, so I had green anyway. It's the whole pinching tradition that annoyed me, and annoyed me as much whether I was the pinchee or whether I was "safe" in green and just saw other people getting it. Who the sam hill came up with this tradition? School was bad enough without having the kids run around trying to pinch each other, trying to trick each other with "hidden" green, etc. Pinching is a fun tradition? Bah, humbug.

Just as bad, though, was Valentine's Day. In grade school, we all had to get valentines for the whole class, so there wouldn't be "discrimination." This, of course, resulted in buying those 50 identical valentines things and sending them out to everybody and sundry, including the people whom I disliked, as well as receiving valentines from all of them in return, knowing that most of these meant absolutely nothing, just a requirement.

I'm not necessarily talking about holidays in general, just about the attached "traditions" in public school that, for me, made me hate going to school those days even more than I hated going to school anyway. I actually admire St. Patrick from what I've read of him. He deserves a day; no problems with that.

But forget about the schoolyard traditions. I'm now happily out of school, and if anybody walks up to pinch me today (not likely as I'm not leaving the farm), I'll kick him. Keep your cotton-picking hands to yourself. :yes:

sonomacounty
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know the pinching thing, though.

You are supposed to pinch someone not wearing green?

I think St. Patricks is overdone a bit, myself. I do like the green bagels & green beer though.

Valentine's Day - can be bad for some people, depending on where you are in life. It is sort of a "holiday" that stirs the pot too much.

Cool question.

dressagetraks
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:39 AM
The pinching isn't country-wide? Interesting what things are regional. In my grade school neck of the woods, it was VERY big. And yes, if someone isn't wearing green, you are supposed to pinch them. However, if they turn out to have been wearing green anyway, they then get to pinch you multiple times. So people would try sneaky things such as green socks (covered by jeans legs), etc., to lure somebody into pinching them incorrectly.

I HATED the whole thing.

As for V day, the holiday itself doesn't bug me. When/if I ever get somebody to celebrate it with, I'll enjoy celebrating it with him. Until then, I'll be glad I'm not with the wrong one; better to be alone. But I don't think 3rd graders should all be required to buy valentines for the entire rest of the classroom. And yes, in my school, they were. Every blasted year clear through grade school until I finally got to junior high, where you didn't have one classroom all day, so it couldn't be enforced.

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
The Saint days that get turned into major holidays always end up screwed up from the original.

Saints have Saint days, or Feast Days, on the liturgic calendar. Some of them survived to modern days by becoming commercialized.

Saint Patrick wasn't even Irish by birth. He was from Wales and kidnapped by the Irish. He went back to Ireland as a bishop I think. He's the patron saint of Ireland and engineers. He's famous for having banished all snakes from Ireland and for making the shamrock famous, he used the typically 3 leafed plant to explain the Holy Trinity. He died on March 17th and since he was Sainted that's his feast day.

Somehow that got translated over time to St Patrick being Irish and that means wear green, eat and drink everything green, get pissing drunk and eat corned beef. :lol:

St Valentine was famous for "inventing" romance. He wrote poems and songs of courtly love...back then marriages were made for political or financial reasons (social climbing) so your spouse wasn't normally loved. Valentine became popular as heck for writing and promoting romance and love...although it wasn't normally between husband and wife. :winkgrin: He was sainted for being beheaded for not denying Christ. He's the patron saint of love. His feast day is February 14th. So at least that one has some related history. Valentine is not as "big" a saint as Patrick.

St Patrick's cathedral is supposedly one of the most gorgeous churches in NY. I've never seen the interior of it in person, but it is an architectural beauty! :yes:

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
I always get asked why I'm not wearing green on St Patty's day. I tell people, "I'm not Irish." I'm also not an engineer. Since he's patron saint of both, I'm exempt. :winkgrin: :lol: No pinching but it was common back in school to harass kids who didn't wear green in some way. Play pranks on them.

However I do have a corned beef in the crock pot right now. I love corned beef and cabbage. Mmmmmm.

bits619
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:59 AM
Try working in a retirement resort full of old men who are just DYING for an excuse to pinch a redheaded girl any day of the year..... Elementary school was just training preparation for this.

Yikes!

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
Oh bits619...I'd wear padding! :eek: :lol:

bits619
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
It's pretty brutal, though most of the members are used to me now and have covered the Irish ancestry conversation... multiple times! But my first year here was frightening, robed in green or not!

Event4Life
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
I always get asked why I'm not wearing green on St Patty's day. I tell people, "I'm not Irish." I'm also not an engineer. Since he's patron saint of both, I'm exempt. :winkgrin: :lol: No pinching but it was common back in school to harass kids who didn't wear green in some way. Play pranks on them.

I feel like printing this out and wearing it as a sign around my neck.....

St. Patty's Day is easily avoidable though; my school didn't take it all that seriously. Valentine's Day at school was the worst.

Gray Horse H/J
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
I've never heard of pinching on St Patrick's day. When I was a kid my school would have put the kabosh on that super quick - I went to a private Lutheran school from K-8th grade. No pinching aloud! :lol:

My disliked holiday in school was Valentines Day.

I had a horrible Valentines Day one year as a kid. I must have been in 2nd or 3rd grade. Every year we had to bring in valentines for everyone, and our teachers had us make boxes to put them in. It was supposed to be like your mailbox. Some of the boys always thought it was dumb so they would just bring in a shoe box. A lot of us girls, though, loved it. I liked being artistic, too, so I really got into making mine.

So I made this big, flashy, decorative box and was super excited about it. Valentines morning I stuffed all my valentines in it to deliver at school. My grandma drove me to school that day. The school was set up so cars could just line up and do a drive-by dropping kids off by the stairs, and that's what Grandma did. Well as I was getting out of the car I dropped my pretty valentines box. I already had the car door shut and Grandma didn't see me, and she pulled away - and ran my box over! It totally flattened and ripped open and, since of course it was also windy that morning, valentines started blowing around the parking lot. One of the teachers helped me catch some, but most blew away. The ones I did save had tire tracks on them. :(

A very nice boy in my class helped me make a new box and new valentines, but I was still crushed. Didn't help that half the school was outside that morning and saw the whole thing. I guess it looked hilarious.

The good thing about going to a tiny private school with the same 20 kids in your class from K-8th grade? You make friends easily because everyone knows each other so well. The bad thing? They don't forget anything. Every Valentines Day 'till I was 13 I got to hear about it.

So that's my story about why I didn't like Valentines Day in school. :lol:

danceronice
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
Just as bad, though, was Valentine's Day. In grade school, we all had to get valentines for the whole class, so there wouldn't be "discrimination." This, of course, resulted in buying those 50 identical valentines things and sending them out to everybody and sundry, including the people whom I disliked, as well as receiving valentines from all of them in return, knowing that most of these meant absolutely nothing, just a requirement.

I'm not necessarily talking about holidays in general, just about the attached "traditions" in public school that, for me, made me hate going to school those days even more than I hated going to school anyway. I actually admire St. Patrick from what I've read of him. He deserves a day; no problems with that.

But forget about the schoolyard traditions. I'm now happily out of school, and if anybody walks up to pinch me today (not likely as I'm not leaving the farm), I'll kick him. Keep your cotton-picking hands to yourself. :yes:

If it makes you feel any better, actual Irish people from Ireland (both Irelands, actually) think some of the American St Patrick's "traditions" are insane. Including pinching. And I've always said if people pinch me because I'm not wearing green on St Patrick's Day (I am today, if you consider teal green, but still) I will wait until St Joseph (patron of Poland's) day and go around kicking anyone not wearing red in the shins.

I was really tempted to be exceptionally obnoxious and wear orange today, but as I no longer live in Boston there'd be no one who'd get it. (On the plus side, there'd be no one who'd beat the living crap out of me for it, either.) And yes, I'm Catholic myself and I *know* what I'd be saying with that, but the whole "St Paddy's" thing is way out of hand here.

And the 'hand out Valentines to everyone' was fake but fine (hey, we all got cards and we had a class party with cookies instead of working, yay!) but in high school we had the flower sale--you pay $1 and on Valentine's Day (and Sweetest Day, too!) they go around delivering carnations to the people you send them to. You see where this is going--it's basically tally up who has a bunch of friends and who doesn't. In public. By name. During school hours. Dumbest idea EVER.

FLeventer
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
I look horrible in green. When I was in school I hated all holidays that did not give us the day off. Too much extra effort. Dress up on halloween, red or pink on valentines day, green on st paddys day. I was the one who did not make cards for valentines day because it was a waste if effort.

The oonly reason that I like halloween and st paddys now is because I can go drinking downtown at the street parties with my friends. Those are about the only times I go drinking all year as well. Except sundays. I go to the beach with friends for Sunday funday and drink every weekend.

hey101
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
I was really tempted to be exceptionally obnoxious and wear orange today, but as I no longer live in Boston there'd be no one who'd get it.

LOL- I get it. My parents are off the boat from Nor'n Iron.... the orange side. ;) I've been going to Belfast since I was a little baby.

FWIW, I don't practice any type of religion. And I married a recovering Catholic! :D (My mother commented the first time I brought him home, that my grandfather would be rolling over in his grave :lol:)

danceronice
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
LOL- I get it. My parents are off the boat from Nor'n Iron.... the orange side. ;) I've been going to Belfast since I was a little baby.

FWIW, I don't practice any type of religion. And I married a recovering Catholic! :D (My mother commented the first time I brought him home, that my grandfather would be rolling over in his grave :lol:)

Well, I'm Catholic, and we had a couple teachers at the studio in Boston from the RoI side of things (one of whom has since gone on to fame, or at least having his inability to pronounce the "th" in "third" mocked on DanceCenter during the DWTS finales) while the owner, also my teacher, was from the other side of the border, and though he only allowed you to call him Irish (as opposed to British) on St. Paddy's, he referred to both sides as "****ing stupid." And his mind boggled at a couple from my day job--the owner of the restaurant where I worked was Scottish, and his daughter, the AM, was married to an Irishman. As in the Catholic green-wearing kind. As my dance pro put it, "I'd hate to be at their house when the Celtics play the Rangers." (For Americans--that's not the NBA and NHL people. It's more like "religious crusades: the sporting event.")

redhorse5
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hate green, never wear it. I don't even wear navy. Too much of a commitment. I also hate orange so halloween isn't much fun either. I really hated Halloween as a child. Yuk candy. Stupid costumes. Can't stand the feel of a mask on my face. i could actually ignore St. Paddy's Day but you can't ignore Halloween especially when your Mom makes what she thinks is a cute costume. Blechh.

MistyBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
I've always said if people pinch me because I'm not wearing green on St Patrick's Day (I am today, if you consider teal green, but still) I will wait until St Joseph (patron of Poland's) day and go around kicking anyone not wearing red in the shins.

:D
As another Polish Catholic...love it!
(well, half Polish. Half English)

spirithorse22
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Never heard of the pinching thing?!

I went to a private, Catholic school from pre-k to 12th grade and my graduating 8th grade class was a grand total of 14 kids so...the valentines/pranking/etc were pretty much nonexistent. I am so glad I went to a small school (just wish it hadn't been religious)!!

That said, I never have been much of a holiday person. The reason I dislike school holidays?!? I HATED any holiday that was based on a saint's day...it meant additional masses for the week. I went to mass at least once a week with my school and then once a weekend with my parents so if St. Patrick's day or All Souls Day, etc. etc. landed on something other than Fri or Sun, I had to go to mass freaking three times in a week.

Btw, I have been agnostic since age...oh, 12. My mother claims my deep dislike for religion-any religion-comes from an excess of religion growing up. Nay, had more to do with the hypocrisy rampant...

Which leads to my opinion of most holidays! I don't gripe about holidays and I think being nice to others, buying prezzies for people, etc. etc. is fabulous but I think the whole "must do" for a holiday is ridiculous and usually fake. Buying chocolate and flowers on Valentine's Day b/c its Valentine's Day and what will people think if you don't get him/her something??? Ridiculous. I was dating a guy a few years ago who got super nervous about V day. I told him Valentine's Day was the same as any day! If he wanted to get a present, he could get a present. If he wanted to take me out on some random day in the month of June, take me out on some random day in the month of June! Its the thought, not the day or the holiday or the amount or the thing that matters. The moment you start doing something b/c "that's how its done"...I'm out.

One of my favorite lines from Out of Africa comes to mind whenever considering holidays: "Denys likes giving presents. But not on Christmas."

In school, if a holiday meant a day off, I was thrilled and spent it at the barn. If it meant being IN school, I just hoped it didn't involve mass!

And am I the only person who finds school parties completely boring??? I was the rare kid who thought class parties were complete wastes of time. I always thought if they are going to do a party, why not just do a half day of school and let us go??? Class parties = boring as hell. Half day = more barn time!!! ;)

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
I hated Valentine's Day because I had to give cards to kids I KNEW didn't like me.

I'm wearing blue today because I feel like it. I don't plan on going out anywhere.

If someone were to pinch me, they would get the same "roar" reserved for a horse on my foot. Only none of my words would be family-friendly. Don't touch me, brah.

GypsyQ
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:04 PM
I think St. Patricks is overdone a bit, myself. I do like the green bagels & green beer though.

Green bagels? If my bagels are green, they weren't supposed to be that way, and I'm sure not eating them!

JanM
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
I agree with the dislike for holidays at school. St. Patricks was wear green or get pinched. Valentines was a great occasion for humiliating people who weren't popular, since I was one of the few kids who had a mother that said I had to give everyone (including the b-word crowd) a valentine or nobody. Once I figured out the nobody part was easier, then that's what I did. And having to haul my little brothers around for Halloween while wearing the same cheap costume was boring. I've always dislike enforced 'fun' occasions at school (and work).

CosMonster
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
I'm about as Irish as you can get (from an ancestry standpoint, I was born and raised in the US ;)) and I cannot stand St. Patrick's Day. My family in Chicago is really into it, but they're total stereotypical Chicago Irish Catholics (my mom's side is mostly Irish as well but Protestant from Northern Ireland). My dad left his family pretty early and also dismissed a lot of that "Irish" stuff. He says that if you've never been to Ireland for more than a couple of weeks, you're not Irish, and I have to agree. :lol:

But because my last name sounds very Irish and I've been told I look Irish (very dark brown hair, blue eyes, pale although I have a bit of a permanent tan from living in the desert, etc.), everyone mentions it to me on and around today. They ask me what I'm doing for the holiday, and at most the answer is, "Having a few beers with some friends." Most years, like this one, it's, "Nothing." Well, that's not true. I have a wild night planned of teaching my mother how to use the website I designed for her church. :lol: I probably would have hit a bar with my SO or something except he's a restaurant manager and is working until 1 or 2 tonight. But it would have just been a couple of beers, none of this "drink crappy green beer 'til you puke!" nonsense. And when people find that out, they're like, "But how can you not celebrate? You're Irish!" But I'm not! I'm American! :lol: I don't even want to go out and not drink because my state has a huge drunk driving problem and it gets 10x worse on nights like this, and I don't want to have to mess with going through any of the 10 million DWI checkpoints they'll have set up or get hit by some drunk on the roads.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pet peeve. It also strikes me as really disrespectful. It's not as bad as Thanksgiving where for some reason it's acceptable to dress your kids up in redface since Irish people aren't exactly actively discriminated against like Native Americans are, but taking another culture and pulling out all the most stereotypical and ridiculous representations of it then running wild with those just sort of rubs me the wrong way no matter who it is.

Otherwise, my only major pet peeves are Valentine's Day and Mother's and Father's Day, and it's just because they're BS holidays made up by corporate marketing departments. I love my parents and my SO (well, maybe not this one yet...I'm quite fond of him but we've only been dating a couple of months, not exactly "love" territory yet :lol:), but I just hate having to buy them shit on a particular day just because. It's not like it's an ancient tradition or anything. I bring my mom flowers often, my dad and I frequently do special things (he doesn't like gifts, he's more about doing something fun together--like last month I bought us day passes for a rock climbing gym so we could try out climbing together, that would have been an ideal Father's Day gift for him), and I'm always picking up little things for my SO and that kind of thing too...so why do I need a special day to celebrate that? Oh yeah, to sell stupid Hallmark cards and candy boxes. :mad:

Otherwise I really like holidays. :lol:

edit: just to chime in on the pinching debate, pinching people not wearing green was definitely a thing at schools I went to in both Chicago and Albuquerque. I don't think it's that regional, though I'm sure there are places where it isn't really a big thing.

HighFlyinBey++
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Found on a friend's FB page: St. Patrick's Day & the Origin of Pinching (http://www.ehow.com/about_6640513_st_-day-_amp_-origin-pinching.html)

Traum
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hey Cos, what part of Chicago? I'm from there too and also in ABQ now :D

CosMonster
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Right on, Traum. Seems to be a common migration. :)

My family all used to live in the city of Chicago proper, but I don't remember exactly where. I'd have to ask my folks. By the time I was old enough to be aware, my parents and paternal grandparents lived in Brookfield (we lived just around the corner from the zoo, you could sometimes hear the lions roaring :D), my maternal grandparents were in Riverside, and I had cousins in Boling Brook (sp?), Woodridge, and Hinsdale.

I'm actually about halfway between Socorro and Albuquerque right now--as in half my horses and things are in Socorro, half in Albuquerque because I'm moving back up! Been living in Socorro the last 3 years, before that Colorado for 6, but we moved to Albuquerque when I was pretty young so I consider it my hometown and am glad to be moving back. It's a great city. Have you lived there long?

glfprncs
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm an 8th grade teacher and I DESPISE the holidays where the school things we need to do something special (i.e. nominating the King & Queen of Hearts for the Valentine's dance, selling of cands, etc.). Imo, school is for learning...you can celebrate these blasted holidays at home with your family & friends. My students were horrified to learn that their teacher (yours truly) didn't buy them candy for Halloween. Oh, the horrors!

dressagetraks
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Just have to add, I actually had a great Valentine's Day this year. Not that I normally have a bad one, but it's normally just another day, maybe with a thought that I'm glad I don't have to buy valentines for all those kids now and pretend I like them.

This year, V-day was on a Tuesday, the night when the semipro community chorale I'm in rehearses. A few of the folks had inquired the Tuesday before if we were going to rehearse on Valentine's Day, as some of the attached folk wouldn't have minded making other plans. Director said absolutely, just a week and a half from concert, yes, we would have a very tough and rigorous rehearsal on the 14th. If you want a romantic evening, pick another one. However, he said in token salute to the day, he would bring chocolate.

Fast forward to the 14th. I'd forgotten his promise, but he actually did show up with a big bag of Hershey's Kisses. The whole group was there, too; no absentees off doing other things. In fact, his wife is our pianist, so rehearsal WAS their Valentine's Day evening. We each got two Hershey's Kisses, and then he worked the tar off us for a few hours on a very intense building-to-concert rehearsal.

It was one of the most enjoyable Valentine's Days I've ever had. :)