PDA

View Full Version : Using Auto Body Filler in Horse Trailers

kerlin
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
I have a 1980 Kingston 2h that is actually in pretty darn good shape. It was totally refurbished about 5 years ago, and checks out ok from the trailer guy every year.

It is still 32 years old, and showing its age. In particular, there are some non-essential bits inside that have rusted away - not in a dangerous way, or in a structural way, and I stay on top of the rust - but in a very unsightly way.

I'd like to see if this spring, as part of my cleanup/sand/repaint routine, using auto body filler in some of those parts would a) "spruce up" the trailer and b) help seal off some of those open areas and stop the rust from reappearing.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? Is there anything I'm overlooking? As I've said, this is NOT structural - I'd get anything like that welded - more for cosmetics & convenience.

LittleblackMorgan
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Sure but fiberglass is better

kerlin
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Is fiberglass something I could easily apply myself, to a steel trailer? I'm afraid I am entirely unfamiliar with it.

Jim_in_PA
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Depending on where these damages areas are, it may be easier to cover the holes with small sections of sheet metal (aluminum is easiest to work with) sealed with silicone caulk and adhered with pop-rivets. The issue with auto body filler is that it needs to be supported, so you'd be needing to put something on the inside, anyway, for that purpose. Just apply the sheet metal patches to the outside after you clean off all of the rusted material and seal the edges to prevent further rusting. Then prime and paint to match.

Guilherme
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
I would think, too, that the vibrations in a horse trailer will be different than the vibrations in an auto chassis due to the differences in suspension (at a minimum). That might make "auto body" products less successful.

Concur that sheet metal repair, correctly done, would be a better idea.

G.